• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm interested in seeing the rest of the utility spells in this set. As it is right now, I don't think you could even play a burn deck because the only viable burn spells are Lightning Strike and Stoke the Flames.

Lots of stuff to comment on today!

MagicCorpo_FR_Temur%20Charm_9-8-2014.png

Choose one —
• Target creature you control gets +1/+1 until end of turn. That creature fights target creature you don't control.
• Counter target spell unless its controller pays 3.
• Creatures with power 3 or less can't block this turn.

Another good charm! All three of those modes are useful at different times, including the "can't block" effect that usually doesn't see tournament play when it's on an instant or sorcery.

rPsTmoo.png

Deflecting Palm, a.k.a. "Talk to the Hand."

WR

Instant

The next time a source of your choice would deal damage to you this turn, prevent that damage.
If damage is prevented this way, Deflecting Palm deals that much damage to that source's controller.

I like the art, but the effect is pretty weak.

en_x4p59deuyk.png

Full cycle of functional refuge reprints:

en_fg237t67ee.png

en_sngrjqi8kp.png

en_uvhggfnjds.png

and BOOM

en_1zoro0dvow.png

The uncommon is easily the best card. I would have liked it at Rare.

Pearl Lake Ancient is pretty neat. It's odd that they'd print a creature that resembles a dragon at all, but I like its look. I didn't expect Refuge functional reprints, but I think they'll work well. It was interesting reading the development article, where they talked about how three-color lands at common ended up encouraging people to play five-color decks. Trail of Mystery is an interesting effect. Ashcloud Phoenix is really neat. Murderous Cut is beyond anything I expected; I thought for sure any restriction-free creature destruction with delve would be 3BB at least.

kuX86mq.jpg

Adamant Negation, U

Instant

Counter target non-creature spell unless its controller pays 1.

Ferocious - Counter it instead.

I would have expected a Cancel variant with Ferocious, but this is fine. It protects your big creatures against sweepers for only one mana.

Another neat card.

BxB-T-hCAAAxnP-.jpg

lol, it's just Azorius/Boros charm mashed up, and with a buff on the first ability.

The most boring of the charms revealed so far, but it's definitely not bad. Still, Time Ebb for the same converted mana cost as an instant is pretty good.

As for the symbols vs. text on basic lands debate, I'm definitely in favor of symbols. Basic lands are special, and there's a nice aesthetic to having none of the basic lands having text when you pile them on top of each other.

ultron87

I'm never going to be able to to identify those charms by looking at the art. Too similar.

Also, oh god the bones in Deflecting Palm.

OnPoint

I dunno, can't kill black creatures never made sense to me from a flavor perspective anyway.
Terror was for flavor. Why would black or artifact creatures be scared to death of something? Dark Banishing and Doom Blade are also flavorful ideas. The dark arts can't corrupt and kill an already corrupted or dead creature.

y2dvd

The 2cmc charm probably spoiled us but I feel 3cmc charms should've been even more pushed because of how much harder it will be to cast.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Jeskai Charm is a lot worse than Azorius/Boros Charm. What deck is going to play this? Some kind of tempo deck I guess?

Any deck that is running those colors should probably play them, I think. I miss Boros Charm's indestructible mode though.

Not to mention the fact that you can use the non-combat restricted griptide mode to send an attacker to their deck in response to a cracked fetchland.

Firemind

Three mana Flame Rift is so much worse than actual Flame Rift. Don't know why Char/Psy Blast is off limits when it's much more difficult to cast.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The exploratory team first stumbled upon morph because we needed a mechanic that could go through a series of changes. Morph in Khans of Tarkir wanted to be morph pretty much as you know it. There are a few tweaks and couple of new things, but we wanted to start out the block with the morph players already knew and loved. Let me stress, though, that as with the wedge theme, morph is going to go through some changes in this block, and not necessarily in the way many of you might expect. Most of that talk, though, is going to have to wait for Fate Reforged and "Louie."

huh...color me intrigued

Eldrazi are in the next block and they wanted Morph in.

I bet in set 3, the only creatures with Morph are Dragons.

Nah, Fate Reforged is in the past, so I expect that that will be the set where only dragons have morph, since it will take place before non-dragons learned that magic.

Kerrinck

No, it has no abilities when it's face down.

Thanks, that's what I figured. Was trying to compare it to anything from Onslaught but I couldn't remember any morph that had a dying trigger.

Much weaker than I thought then, Chandra's Phoenix will really be missed.

You guys will likely know this:

If I have Oracle en-Vec tap and target Player says "no attackers on my next combat phase" and then during their turn, I cast Siren's Call... do they (the non-wall / non-summoning sick) get destroyed?

Does the Oracle render them "not able to attack" and therefore not eligible for Siren's Call?

I have been playing assuming that they aren't able to attack and so it won't work, but the more I play the deck I have them in, the more I realize how valuable it is if it destroys their guys :) Otherwise, I have to wait for other cards to complete the combo.

Oracle en-Vec text
Code:
Tap: Target opponent chooses any number of creatures he or she controls. During that player's next turn, the chosen creatures attack if able, and other creatures can't attack. At the beginning of that turn's end step, destroy each of the chosen creatures that didn't attack. Activate this ability only during your turn.

Siren's Call text
Code:
Cast Siren's Call only during an opponent's turn, before attackers are declared.

Creatures the active player controls attack this turn if able.

At the beginning of the next end step, destroy all non-Wall creatures that player controls that didn't attack this turn. Ignore this effect for each creature the player didn't control continuously since the beginning of the turn.

Thanks!

Angry Grimace

You guys will likely know this:

If I have Oracle en-Vec tap and target Player says "no attackers on my next combat phase" and then during their turn, I cast Siren's Call... do they (the non-wall / non-summoning sick) get destroyed?

Does the Oracle render them "not able to attack" and therefore not eligible for Siren's Call?

I have been playing assuming that they aren't able to attack and so it won't work, but the more I play the deck I have them in, the more I realize how valuable it is if it destroys their guys :) Otherwise, I have to wait for other cards to complete the combo.

Oracle en-Vec text

Tap: Target opponent chooses any number of creatures he or she controls. During that player's next turn, the chosen creatures attack if able, and other creatures can't attack. At the beginning of that turn's end step, destroy each of the chosen creatures that didn't attack. Activate this ability only during your turn.

Siren's Call text
Cast Siren's Call only during an opponent's turn, before attackers are declared.

Creatures the active player controls attack this turn if able.

At the beginning of the next end step, destroy all non-Wall creatures that player controls that didn't attack this turn. Ignore this effect for each creature the player didn't control continuously since the beginning of the turn.

Thanks!

The creatures can't attack due to Oracle's ability. Even assuming you somehow were able to activate resolve Oracle's ability after Siren's Call, they still would not be able to attack because Oracle's ability says they can't attack. But they are eligible for Siren's Call - they just can't attack and are destroyed due to Siren's Call's effect.

The destruction clause on Siren's Call doesn't look back to determine whether they were in fact able to attack, it cares whether it occurred or not.

If the format is as slow as I'm imagining, I think Caryatid and Rattleclaw are going to be the choice mana dorks.

Elvish Mystic is leagues better than the other mana dorks, it's not close at all. The other guys have cool utility though.

• Caryatid: Great blocker and it's a bird that can't be bolted
  • Rattleclaw: can be run in non-green decks for ramp
  • Generator Servant: Hydra Tribal
  • Elvish Mystic: Costs one mana

The creatures can't attack due to Oracle's ability. Even assuming you somehow were able to activate resolve Oracle's ability after Siren's Call, they still would not be able to attack because Oracle's ability says they can't attack.

Yeah, that's what I figured... just wanted to make sure. The deck's goal still works overall, just woulda been nice if this particular interaction did as well.

Kinda interesting that a tapped creature technically can't attack, but Siren's Call doesn't care and blasts them anyway.

EDIT: Wait, so they ARE caught by Siren's Call?

Eldrazi are in the next block and they wanted Morph in.

I bet in set 3, the only creatures with Morph are Dragons.

Part of me still suspects Eldrazi is the third act twist in Khans, not next block. Has that been ruled out or something? Everyone speaks with certainty that Eldrazi is 1+ year off, but why? Was a date range inferred at some point on Blogatog?

Angry Grimace

Yeah, that's what I figured... just wanted to make sure. The deck's goal still works overall, just woulda been nice if this particular interaction did as well.

Kinda interesting that a tapped creature technically can't attack, but Siren's Call doesn't care and blasts them anyway.

It's because the destruction clause on Siren's Call doesn't have the ability to look back and determine whether they could have attacked or not. It just cares whether it happened, whether its a wall, and whether they had summoning sickness.

Part of me still suspects Eldrazi is the third act twist in Khans, not next block. Has that been ruled out or something? Everyone speaks with certainty that Eldrazi is 1+ year off, but why? Was a date range inferred at some point on Blogatog?

Well, they've been hinting that they're returning to Zendikar soon, and we know there are still Eldrazi on Zendikar (though only one of the legendary ones is still there). It would be odd to have two blocks close together both with Eldrazi. Plus, "Louie" is almost certainly Dragons of Tarkir, and I think Eldrazi would distract from the "DRAGONS EVERYWHERE" thing.

Well, they've been hinting that they're returning to Zendikar soon, and we know there are still Eldrazi on Zendikar (though only one of the legendary ones is still there). It would be odd to have two blocks close together both with Eldrazi. Plus, "Louie" is almost certainly Dragons of Tarkir, and I think Eldrazi would distract from the "DRAGONS EVERYWHERE" thing.

My other theory is that they'll time travel and discover that the alternate timeline Tarkir is actually Dominaria which would transition into Magic 2016.

It's because the destruction clause on Siren's Call doesn't have the ability to look back and determine whether they could have attacked or not. It just cares whether it happened, whether its a wall, and whether they had summoning sickness.

Yeah, I think I get it now... Okay, so great! :)

Oracle en-Vec cracks me up so much, I love putting it on the table.

I'm talking about these full on wedge decks, I think its quite a bit closer in those decks.

You'd be surprised. I run abzan and before the fetches were spoiled getting 14 untapped green sources with only one available green painland was miserable. Running thoughtseize and scrylands in the 1-slot just isn't enough. But now fetches have greased up the deck like you wouldn't believe. The difference between a deck that can play mystic or not is insane.

Elvish Mystic means reliable turn three 5-drops, and Stormbreath Dragon trumps Brimaz every time.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I think I get it now... Okay, so great! :)

Oracle en-Vec cracks me up so much, I love putting it on the table.

That's also why they're never going to bring Siren's Call back - combined with Cryptic Command its a boardwipe that only affects your opponent for 5 mana.

That's also why they're never going to bring Siren's Call back - combined with Cryptic Command its a boardwipe that only affects your opponent for 5 mana.

That seems like a reasonable move. That said, the more I hear / read about the Magic, the more Cryptic Command seems to affect hypothetical future cards / reprints.

Yeef

635458141914745071.jpg

635458115659181126.png

Abzan Battele Priest 3W
Creature - Human Cleric
Outlast W
Each creature you control with a +1/+1 counter on it hass Lifelink.

Zocano

I was really "eh" on the Hydra until I read that bottom bit. Then I laughed.

Seems silly but neat.

Also, is M15 Jace worth it at all in BUG graveyard deck? His +1 is the only thing relevant and there are better cards to be your graveyard engine.

ElyrionX

Jace's -3 is actually really good b/c of Thoughtseize.

You think so? Seems a bit inefficient. 4-mana sorcery speed Cyclonic Rift that leaves him at 2 loyalty and hence highly vulnerable to removal/attack. They made the ability far too expensive IMO. It should have been a -2 or even -1. The bounce is nice to have for sure but right now, I think the interactions between the cards in KTK and his +1 are going to be what determines his playability.

kirblar

You think so? Seems a bit inefficient. 4-mana sorcery speed Cyclonic Rift that leaves him at 2 loyalty and hence highly vulnerable to removal/attack. They made the ability far too expensive IMO. It should have been a -2 or even -1. The bounce is nice to have for sure but right now, I think the interactions between the cards in KTK and his +1 are going to be what determines his playability.
It's way better than you think. He was really effective in that Ashiok deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom