• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

I'm slowly warming up to Mantis Rider. It basically counters Xenagos perfectly; killing him and leaving a blocker for the token. It kills Kiora as well as Elspeth and Chandra in two turns. Not bad for three mana.

I'm slowly warming up to Mantis Rider. It basically counters Xenagos perfectly; killing him and leaving a blocker for the token. It kills Kiora as well as Elspeth and Chandra in two turns. Not bad for three mana.

Yeah I'm gonna try that wescoe deck some more tonight. Barely lost 2-0 to a URBW control deck.

I feel like it needs more draw. Topdecking does not feel super great in that deck.

Firemind

Yeah, shame Jace AoT is rotating out. Maybe new Jace has a place? With him you can possibly play the Delve Recall as well. I'd definitely play a miser Keranos. That card has won me many games against midrange decks before.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, shame Jace AoT is rotating out. Maybe new Jace has a place? With him you can possibly play the Delve Recall as well. I'd definitely play a miser Keranos. That card has won me many games against midrange decks before.

Why play Jace in that deck rather than Thassa? If I were to build a UWR control deck, I'd probably try something with Keranos, Thassa and Sarkhan. Sarkhan can dragon to the face, or blow up opposing dudes, Thassa lets you filter to the burn spells and Keranos is Keranos. Not to mention you can play Anger of the Gods for an early sweep and End Hostilities for a full sweep.

Firemind

All your creatures have flying anyway, you'll never have enough loyalty to turn her on and Jace has other abilities besides scrying.

y2dvd

Sad that white weenies ain't a thing anymore. =(

Think Imma run mono black aggro until I can get my hands on some expensive cards. Seems like the cheapest and easiest deck to run for now.That or mono red aggro, but it seems like you need Gobble Rabblemasters and I don't even own a copy.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
All your creatures have flying anyway, you'll never have enough loyalty to turn her on and Jace has other abilities besides scrying.

You're not trying to turn her on, its more that she's invincible and costs less than Jace.

Firemind

An enchantment for three mana that says "scry 1 during upkeep" is pretty bad in any deck. The deck I and phazedplasma are proposing is an UWR tempo deck. Jace has a more freer role there than in a control deck where only his ultimate matters. Let's sketch a few situations.

Let's say you play turn three Mantis Rider. Your opponent responds with Courser of Kruphix on turn three. You respond with Jace and -3. Suddenly your opponent has nothing, you have a Mantis Rider that has already dealt six damage and a Jace.

Let's say your opponent kills the Mantis Rider on his turn three. You play Jace on an empty board and +1, possibly improving your hand quality. Opponent responds with Xenagos, makes a token and knocks Jace down to 4. On your turn, you slam Sarkhan, animate him and kill Xenagos. You can either +1 or -3 Jace to kill the token. In both situations you have Jace and Sarkhan in play.

Angry Grimace

An enchantment for three mana that says "scry 1 during upkeep" is pretty bad in any deck. The deck I and phazedplasma are proposing is an UWR tempo deck. Jace has a more freer role there than in a control deck where only his ultimate matters. Let's sketch a few situations.

Let's say you play turn three Mantis Rider. Your opponent responds with Courser of Kruphix on turn three. You respond with Jace and -3. Suddenly your opponent has nothing, you have a Mantis Rider that has already dealt six damage and a Jace.

Let's say your opponent kills the Mantis Rider on his turn three. You play Jace on an empty board and +1, possibly improving your hand quality. Opponent responds with Xenagos, makes a token and knocks Jace down to 4. On your turn, you slam Sarkhan, animate him and kill Xenagos. You can either +1 or -3 Jace to kill the token. In both situations you have Jace and Sarkhan in play.

That's a very specific example that can be turned around pretty fast. What you're actually saying is "Jace's -3 is relevant." Except Jace's -3 very quickly kills Jace and then you don't have Jace anymore and have to spend another 4 mana to cast another one, assuming you even have one. I will say that Jace does a better job getting your GY full for Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time.

I think the biggest problem here is that I'm not convinced UWR has quite tools available to it.

Angry Grimace

"Everything in the deck dies at instant speed to Utter End"

lol

Edit: Aaw. You edited.

I never said that and you can't prove it. >.> <.< >.>

But the point I guess I was going for there is how does one win the game in that deck when Keranos gets taken out by Deicide, Banishing Light, Erase or Utter End (all of which will probably see sideboard play, and mainboard play for Utter End)? Mantis Rider and Sarkhan are going to get outclassed by giant Temur/Abzan fatties really fast. I mean, I guess you got Elspeth still?

Angry Grimace

Someone needs to do a Delve Calculator. You quickly get massive diminishing returns with the mechanic.

I'm not sure how the math would work on that. I imagine (and I'm not a mathematician, in fact I can't even spell it) you want to run like 2 Delve cards max. Unless you're in a graveyard deck and its Murderous Cut.

Hackworth

Yo Magic Gaf: I'm working on a commander deck inspired by Pacific Rim's Kaiju.
It'll likely be Temur or Simic colors, because they've got the most sea monsters/big stompy creatures in general.

Does anyone have any flavorful cards they recommend?

bigkrev

Really obscure question, but what are the odds that Deflecting Palm gets an art modification for China? I know they used to do that to cards that showed skeletons or bones, but am not sure if they still do that.

I want a playset of the card, but the image unsettles me :(

Firemind

That's a very specific example that can be turned around pretty fast. What you're actually saying is "Jace's -3 is relevant." Except Jace's -3 very quickly kills Jace and then you don't have Jace anymore and have to spend another 4 mana to cast another one, assuming you even have one. I will say that Jace does a better job getting your GY full for Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time.

I think the biggest problem here is that I'm not convinced UWR has quite tools available to it.
Very specific? Okay. Last time I checked, Courser and Xenagos are quite prevalent in green midrange decks. As for Jace being relevant, I'll explain below.

I never said that and you can't prove it. >.> <.< >.>

But the point I guess I was going for there is how does one win the game in that deck when Keranos gets taken out by Deicide, Banishing Light, Erase or Utter End (all of which will probably see sideboard play, and mainboard play for Utter End)? Mantis Rider and Sarkhan are going to get outclassed by giant Temur/Abzan fatties really fast. I mean, I guess you got Elspeth still?
The point of tempo is, as the name implies, to gain the upper hand against the slower midrange/control decks. Jace can accomplish that. Thassa cannot in a non-devotion build. UWR Control as we know it will not exist post rotation; nothing can replace Sphinx's Revelation. The cards in Khans point Jeskai towards a more aggressive shell. Yes, cards die to Utter End. The point is the tempo deck should be far enough ahead that it won't turn the tide. I think Disdainful Stroke will see play because of this. Countering a 4+ spell for two mana is huge for a tempo deck, and every deck plays 4+ cmc spells nowadays, even the red aggro decks. Jace isn't the strongest against aggro decks, and you can probably sideboard him out for, say, Master of Waves.

Again, the reason tempo exists is to prey on the slower, more powerful (on paper) decks. It's why Jund was destroying decks back in the day. As much as people want to say Jund is midrange, it's more a cross between tempo and midrange. It can play aggressive when you needed to and play the attrition war and come up ahead. You can't really play aggressive with Sylvan Caryatids and Coursers of Kruphix (though Nissa is a pain), so the tempo deck has to somehow gain small incremental advantages in the early to mid game, which the midrange deck has to respond to or die. I'm not saying Jeskai is the next Jund, but I believe the only way it can succeed without Sphinx's Revelation is to evolve to a more tempo-oriented shell.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yo Magic Gaf: I'm working on a commander deck inspired by Pacific Rim's Kaiju.
It'll likely be Temur or Simic colors, because they've got the most sea monsters/big stompy creatures in general.

Does anyone have any flavorful cards they recommend?

I did the same thing with a themed deck challenge some friends and I did a while back. Check out creatures with the Soulbond mechanic from Avacyn Restored, and I found Traumatic Visions was both useful and a perfect flavor card

EDIT; wait, Kaiju only? Well yeah, I guess its mostly the big sea monsters haha

Angry Grimace

Very specific? Okay. Last time I checked, Courser and Xenagos are quite prevalent in green midrange decks. As for Jace being relevant, I'll explain below.
Uh, that's exactly what it is. You can't take a very specific state of a specific game against a specific deck and say "that's why this card is good." That's just anecdotal evidence.

That's like saying you won a game against burn because you used Healing Salve and they ran out of cards, therefore Healing Salve is good.

The point of tempo is, as the name implies, to gain the upper hand against the slower midrange/control decks. Jace can accomplish that. Thassa cannot in a non-devotion build. UWR Control as we know it will not exist post rotation; nothing can replace Sphinx's Revelation. The cards in Khans point Jeskai towards a more aggressive shell. Yes, cards die to Utter End. The point is the tempo deck should be far enough ahead that it won't turn the tide. I think Disdainful Stroke will see play because of this. Countering a 4+ spell for two mana is huge for a tempo deck, and every deck plays 4+ cmc spells nowadays, even the red aggro decks. Jace isn't the strongest against aggro decks, and you can probably sideboard him out for, say, Master of Waves.

Again, the reason tempo exists is to prey on the slower, more powerful (on paper) decks. It's why Jund was destroying decks back in the day. As much as people want to say Jund is midrange, it's more a cross between tempo and midrange. It can play aggressive when you needed to and play the attrition war and come up ahead. You can't really play aggressive with Sylvan Caryatids and Coursers of Kruphix (though Nissa is a pain), so the tempo deck has to somehow gain small incremental advantages in the early to mid game, which the midrange deck has to respond to or die. I'm not saying Jeskai is the next Jund, but I believe the only way it can succeed without Sphinx's Revelation is to evolve to a more tempo-oriented shell.

I don't think it can succeed without Revelation at all. Its basically looking to do the same thing as the last version of U/W/x, except the card draw, removal and board wipes are all worse, not to mention the newer midrange decks get even more incidental lifegain via Courser (and Siege Rhino), while UWR doesn't have any, yet takes even longer to stabilize than it did before. Not to mention Temur decks are all looking like they're going to put Surrak in the deck, which implodes the countermagic plan pretty badly.

I mean, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong, but I don't see what the Jeskai deck is even doing until it gets to 5 mana. Mantis Rider is not a great card compared to the other three-drops running around in this format.

Hackworth

Honestly I'll probably make both eventually. I'm starting with Kaiju because I have lots of RUG cards with high mana costs and also I want more excuses to play Tomokratis.

I tried making a Jaeger deck, and didn't have enough Jaeger equivalents. I'm thinking it would probably be WUR with artifact and human tribal themes, if I was doing it right.

kirblar

Really obscure question, but what are the odds that Deflecting Palm gets an art modification for China? I know they used to do that to cards that showed skeletons or bones, but am not sure if they still do that.

I want a playset of the card, but the image unsettles me :(
Bones aren't an issue. Skeletons are.

Firemind

Uh, that's exactly what it is. You can't take a very specific state of a specific game against a specific deck and say "that's why this card is good." That's just anecdotal evidence.

That's like saying you won a game against burn because you used Healing Salve and they ran out of cards, therefore Healing Salve is good.
What? That is not the same thing at all.

Like, what can green midrange do on turn three? Kill your creature. Okay. So Jace can enter play on an empty board. Worst thing is if they have a 0/3 defender or a 1/1 elf. Green midrange cannot apply pressure until at least turn four (or play t1 mystic, t2 caryatid, t3 nissa, but that's what I call a specific sequence of play).

I'm assuming Courser/Caryatid decks will be a big part of the metagame. The pros seem to think so. It's not exactly anecdotal, since green midrange decks were indeed a big part of PT Theros Block Constructed; a format without Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict.

I don't think it can succeed without Revelation at all. Its basically looking to do the same thing as the last version of U/W/x, except the card draw, removal and board wipes are all worse, not to mention the newer midrange decks get even more incidental lifegain via Courser (and Siege Rhino), while UWR doesn't have any, yet takes even longer to stabilize than it did before. Not to mention Temur decks are all looking like they're going to put Surrak in the deck, which implodes the countermagic plan pretty badly.
It's like you're not reading my posts at all. -_-

Angry Grimace

What? That is not the same thing at all.

I mean, I don't know what to tell you if you don't think you're describing a very specific scenario.

Like, what can green midrange do on turn three? Kill your creature. Okay. So Jace can enter play on an empty board. Worst thing is if they have a 0/3 defender or a 1/1 elf. Green midrange cannot apply pressure until at least turn four (or play t1 mystic, t2 caryatid, t3 nissa, but that's what I call a specific sequence of play).

I'm assuming Courser/Caryatid decks will be a big part of the metagame. The pros seem to think so. It's not exactly anecdotal, since green midrange decks were indeed a big part of PT Theros Block Constructed; a format without Sphinx's Revelation and Supreme Verdict.

It's like you're not reading my posts at all. -_-
Rattleclaw Mystic into Savage Knuckleblade? You can get bombed for 4 on Turn 3 that way, and then 6 every turn after that.

I'll admit I'm really having trouble following you because you're just describing a deck style and not explaining how that deck is going to function given the available cards (e.g. "you have to get incremental advantages," but the question is "how?"). I mean, Jace, TLG is generally a bad card; I don't know what about this deck you're describing is going to make him good beyond trying to combo Keranos.

Negator

So there's a sealed simulator and was using it to get in some practice before this weekend. Jesus christ, I am not used to seeing so much GOOOOOLD

http://www.magicdrafting.com/khans-of-tarkir-sealed/

When I give it a whirl it's like my options are infinite. Would it be insane to build a 4 color monstrosity with the average pool? Abzan and Mardu look like they could really go well together with the fixing available.

I never did sealed with or drafted Alara, so looking at this spread is extremely confusing to me.

Kacar

Creatures(29)
4xBloodsoaked Champion
4xGnarled Scarhide
4xTormented Hero
3xTymaret, the Murder King
2xSpiteful Returned
4xMardu Skullhunter
4xGoblin Rabblemaster
4xHerald of Torment

Spells(9)
4xThoughtseize
1xBile Blight
2xHero's Downfall
2xMurderous Cut

Lands(22)
4xTemple of Malice
4xBloodstained Mire
4xMountains
9xSwamp
1xUrborg

Sideboard(15)
3xDark Betrayal
2xErebos
1xWhip of Erebos
2xMaster of the Feast
Despise??

I'm confused on the sideboard, I'm mostly just worried about facing the courser/caryatid decks.

Any suggestions are helpful. Is Pain seer just better than mardu skullhunter? I really hate Master of the Feast. Overall I think the deck shpuld be fine.

What website are y'all using to practice theae new decks?

Angry Grimace

Creatures(29)
4xBloodsoaked Champion
4xGnarled Scarhide
4xTormented Hero
3xTymaret, the Murder King
2xSpiteful Returned
4xMardu Skullhunter
4xGoblin Rabblemaster
4xHerald of Torment

Spells(9)
4xThoughtseize
1xBile Blight
2xHero's Downfall
2xMurderous Cut

Lands(22)
4xTemple of Malice
4xBloodstained Mire
4xMountains
9xSwamp
1xUrborg

Sideboard(15)
3xDark Betrayal
2xErebos
1xWhip of Erebos
2xMaster of the Feast
Despise??

I'm confused on the sideboard, I'm mostly just worried about facing the courser/caryatid decks.

Any suggestions are helpful. Is Pain seer just better than mardu skullhunter? I really hate Master of the Feast. Overall I think the deck shpuld be fine.

What website are y'all using to practice theae new decks?

If you're already splashing red, I think War-Name Aspirant is better than Mardu Skullhunter.

Going full Mardu to use Butcher of the Horde is probably something to think about. He has a lot of synergy with Rabblemaster because you can sac the tokens to him for whatever you need.

Firemind

I mean, I don't know what to tell you if you don't think you're describing a very specific scenario.
If a turn three Courser is a very specific scenario, I don't know what to tell you.

I'll admit I'm really having trouble following you because you're just describing a deck style and not explaining how that deck is going to function given the available cards. I mean, Jace, TLG is generally a bad card; I don't know what about this deck you're describing is going to make him good beyond trying to combo Keranos.
Combo Keranos... Are you by any chance drunk? o.0

The deck we're talking about is the Jeskai tempo deck in Craig Wescoe's article. It has one Keranos in the sideboard.

Angry Grimace

If a turn three Courser is a very specific scenario, I don't know what to tell you.

Combo Keranos... Are you by any chance drunk? o.0

The deck we're talking about is the Jeskai tempo deck in Craig Wescoe's article. It has one Keranos in the sideboard.

I have no idea what you're talking about. You mentioned Keranos here:

That said, I will literally eat a Jace, the Living Guildpact if a counterburn deck becomes even fringe good. I don't own any Jace, the Living Guildpact. But I will purchase one and consume it for sustenance if a Counterburn deck is good. I mean, has Counterburn ever been good?

Kacar

If you're already splashing red, I think War-Name Aspirant is better than Mardu Skullhunter.

Going full Mardu to use Butcher of the Horde is probably something to think about. He has a lot of synergy with Rabblemaster because you can sac the tokens to him for whatever you need.
I know butcher is good but I probably should of mentioned that I'm not going Mardu due to money reaaons on needing more expensive lands and such and I wanted a more aggro feel with less tapped lands. Also building a 3 color mana base is pretty scary to me.

kirblar

I know butcher is good but I probably should of mentioned that I'm not going Mardu due to money reaaons on needing more expensive lands and such and I wanted a more aggro feel with less tapped lands. Also building a 3 color mana base is pretty scary to me.
The 3 color decks are really 2 color + a splash for the most part. The Wedgelands, Painlands, and new set of +1 life duals go a long way to decreasing the price tag.

Angry Grimace

If you're looking for pure aggro, I'd suggest just staying mono-black.

Lands

Lots o' Swamp

Creatures

4 x Tormented Hero
4 x Gnarled Scarhide
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
4 x Mardu Skullhunter
4 x Pain Seer
4 x Herald Of Torment

Spells

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x Sign in Blood
3 x Hero's Downfall
4 x Murderous Cut

(The deck that Turtenwald suggested had Fetches to feed to Cut, but I'd probably erm, cut them back if you're just going all Swamps)

Lucario

Lands

Lots o' Swamp

Creatures

4 x Tormented Hero
4 x Gnarled Scarhide
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
4 x Mardu Skullhunter
4 x Pain Seer
4 x Herald Of Torment

Spells

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x Sign in Blood
3 x Hero's Downfall
4 x Murderous Cut

(The deck that Turtenwald suggested had Fetches to feed to Cut, but I'd probably erm, cut them back if you're just going all Swamps)

Run a full set of Mogis's Marauder. It's one of the best cards in the deck; I think Turtenwald just forgot about it.

The deck is sweet, though. Been testing it since Skullhunter and Champion were spoiled. Probably going to take Turtenwald's advice and go up to a playset of Murderous Cut.

Firemind

I have no idea what you're talking about. You mentioned Keranos here:
Miser means 'lucky enough to draw and steal games.' Sometimes singleton, sometimes not.

That said, I will literally eat a Jace, the Living Guildpact if a counterburn deck becomes even fringe good. I don't own any Jace, the Living Guildpact. But I will purchase one and consume it for sustenance if a Counterburn deck is good. I mean, has Counterburn ever been good?
Randy Bueler has had success with a Counterburn deck. Well, it was more of a draw go deck with Shard Phoenix as the win condition.

But anyway, I may hold you to that. Does it count if the deck has Keranos and counterspells? ;)

Angry Grimace

Miser means 'lucky enough to draw and win games.' Sometimes singleton, sometimes not.

Randy Bueler has had success with a Counterburn deck. Well, it was more of a draw go deck with Shard Phoenix as the win condition.

But anyway, I may hold you to that. Does it count if the deck has Keranos and counterspells? ;)
I will leave it up to you guys what counts as good and how counterburny it has to be.

If a counterburn deck wins PT Khans, I'll eat a Jace, the Mind Sculptor.

I wish sealed decks looked like this in real life:

M2Xasxm.jpg

Lands

Lots o' Swamp

Creatures

4 x Tormented Hero
4 x Gnarled Scarhide
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
4 x Mardu Skullhunter
4 x Pain Seer
4 x Herald Of Torment

Spells

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x Sign in Blood
3 x Hero's Downfall
4 x Murderous Cut

Yeah, I'd cut the cuts for Boon of Erebos or more creatures if you're not running a bunch of fetchlands. Mono Black wants to operate within relatively few turns, and cut is only a good card if it costs less than three mana. No spiteful returned or mogis' maurader seems strange to me.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";130208684]I wish sealed decks looked like this in real life:

M2Xasxm.jpg

Yeah, I'd cut the cuts for Boon of Erebos or more creatures if you're not running a bunch of fetchlands. Mono Black wants to operate within relatively few turns, and cut is only a good card if it costs less than three mana. No spiteful returned or mogis' maurader seems strange to me.[/QUOTE]

As suggested above, I think Owen may have just forgotten Marauder.

I was testing my Abzan deck against my buddy's mono-black aggro and just had the most retarded nut draw.

1. Forest + Elvish Mystic
  2. Caves of Koilos + Thoughtseize + Elvish Mystic + Elvish Mystic
  3. Caves of Koilos + Elspeth

y2dvd

Lands

Lots o' Swamp

Creatures

4 x Tormented Hero
4 x Gnarled Scarhide
4 x Bloodsoaked Champion
4 x Mardu Skullhunter
4 x Pain Seer
4 x Herald Of Torment

Spells

4 x Thoughtseize
3 x Sign in Blood
3 x Hero's Downfall
4 x Murderous Cut

I'd go the fetchland route if I'm running that many Murderous Cuts. I think Bile Blight is needed for Red Rabblemaster decks and I'd keep Boon of Erebos for Monsters decks. Question now is Maurader or Spiteful Return?

I think I'm going to cut Abzan Charm from my deck. I never feel like I need it and the 3-mana slots are too precious. It might be the best Charm, but it's not crucial to the deck. Temur Charm is much more relevant to its deck, for example.

I'll probably add a Murderous Cut and a third Nissa in its place. That or a pair of High Sentinels.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The fact that at least one of your lands are CIPT.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oooh right, I forgot painlands were in M15.

Okay, this Khans "Storm" list from Reddit is kinda sick. It's another Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck, but rather than going for an infinite combo, it's going more the traditional combo deck route of trying to dig through the deck, and uses Burning Anger as the win-condition.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ascendancy-storm/

It's a deck that can actually use Treasure Cruise (which, since TappedOut doesn't have it in the database, is represented by Ancestral Vision). The idea is that you dig for a Jeskai Ascendancy, then use the untap effect on Ascendancy to make your dig spells "free" and your mana dorks huge. With a second Ascendancy, your dig spells turn into rituals. Find a Burning Anger (a win condition that is conveniently found with Commune With the Gods), and burn your opponent for 20 to the face.

The deck is kinda just a pile, and I don't think it's capable of beating Anger of the Gods. But it's certainly capable of racing End Hostilities and goldfishes at a rate that competes with mono-red. It also looks like it would smash most Courser of Kruphix decks if it's going off with Caryatids.

This looks like a really sweet FNM deck.

Angry Grimace

So uh, what beats a Foundry Denizen into Akroan Hoplite into Mardu Ascendancy curveout?

Anger of the Gods, Drown in Sorrow, a board stall with sheep, anything with First Strike? I wouldn't be surprised if there really is a deck like that that goes for Hordeling Outburst instead of Ascendancy (since its less colors) and Rabblemasters.

kirblar

Anger of the Gods, Drown in Sorrow, a board stall with sheep, anything with First Strike? I wouldn't be surprised if there really is a deck like that that goes for Hordeling Outburst instead of Ascendancy (since its less colors) and Rabblemasters.
Read Mardu Ascendancy. :)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Yea it reads as +0/+3 but what it really says is 'provide your creatures with protection from anger of the gods'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom