• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I feel like the solution that's most likely to get them to budge would just be to print an artifact or colorless spell that can destroy an enchantment.

Hex Dispeller - 3
Artifact
Tap, Sacrifice Hex Dispeller: Destroy target enchantment.

Image.ashx

I know Maro has said they cost colorless answers higher so as to not break the pie by making answers too easily available to colors that shouldn't have them.

Edit: Here's an example

mrpopogod asked: So something that doesn't make sense to me is your statement that it's ok for colorless to do things at a high cost that a color can't do. So Scour From Existence is ok but Desert Twister (or let's say a theoretical 7 CC Twister) is not ok. But mechanically I can slot Scour into a mono green deck. I thought that "not undermining a color's weaknesses" was a mechanical thing, and colorless does just that.

Maro answers: Making a Green card at any cost says “Green does that” where making a colorless card does not. Yes, you can put colorless cards in your monoGreen deck but it is not conveying anything about what Green does. Green having to go outside of Green, even to colorless, stresses strongly that the thing is out of color pie.

Or maybe this is better

roborosewater asked: Will we ever see any colorless permanent destruction that can be used before turn 7? What about colorless card advantage that can be used before turn 5?

Maro answeres: One of the goals of colorless cards is to not undercut the color wheel.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
IMO Punisher effects are the way to go

It Burns! 1RR
At the beginning of each opponents upkeep It Burns deals two damage to that player for each non-aura enchantment that player controls and 2 damage to the enchanted creature for every aura that player controls

Although the interaction with Pacifism would be a bit funny

Daedardus

IMO Punisher effects are the way to go

It Burns! 1RR
At the beginning of each opponents upkeep It Burns deals two damage to that player for each non-aura enchantment that player controls and 2 damage to the enchanted creature for every aura that player controls

Although the interaction with Pacifism would be a bit funny

You'd control pacifism though and you're not an opponent.

Yeef

I mean there are still a lot of pretty jank commons (Why is Caller of Gales or Copperhorn Scout in this set?) but I do agree overall they seem better than last time. A lot of jank rares also got spoiled at the end but that's kind of par the course for Magic Sets :p
Copperhorn Scout makes sense. Melee seems to be in Naya colors, so it helps you to swing out without leaving yourself too open. Caller of Gales is a little less relevant from what I can see, but, at the very least, it allows you to mess with combats that you're not involved in.

[EDIT] When it comes to red and enchantments, I think just punishing players for having enchantments is more interesting than having a way to get rid of them. Something like this:

At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, ~ deals twice X damage to each creature and planeswalker he or she controls where X is the number of enchantments that player controls.

It might be more interesting but also just a minor annoyance, like that card wouldn't even hose bogles. Templating is off it'd deal X damage where X is twice the number of enchantments.

Hero

What about an effect that said something like ignore all effects of enchantments and auras until the end of turn? Seems like it might be rule-hell. Maybe just exiling all enchantments for a turn would be cleaner?

R Personify
Sorcery
Target nonland noncreature permanent becomes a creature with power and toughness equal to its converted mana cost plus 1 until end of turn, it gains haste. Deal 1 damage to that creature.

Image.ashx

I know Maro has said they cost colorless answers higher so as to not break the pie by making answers too easily available to colors that shouldn't have them.

Yes, that's why I made its cost 3 to only destroy a single enchantment, which white and green can do at 1 mana. Still, I could see it being more like this:

Hex Dispeller - 3
(2), Tap, Sacrifice Hex Dispeller: Destroy target enchantment.

Also, MaRo has specifically shot down suggestions of red getting "destroy target enchantment unless its controller has CARDNAME deal N damage to him or her" and red turning an enchantment into a creature.

Boy it's a good thing Maro is spending his valuable time setting up a group whose purpose is to make sure colors besides blue and white continue to suck in eternal formats for all of eternity. -:/

People here like charlequin have argued that the color pie should be greatly expanded for non-blue colors in Eternal products, but MaRo believes that the modern color pie should be used for every new card, no matter the format, and the creation of this council reflects that the rest of Wizards is committed to this.

The thing that's so frustrating about this is that Maro is completely ignorant of these formats - he, more or less by admission, has no clue how Commander works or what the format needs, doesn't understand how to design for Vintage other than to not try, and is doing this purely on principle despite operating from a Standard and limited only perspective. It's a huge downside for these formats now that they can get new cards without going through Standard, and probably the single worst thing about Rosewater as a Head Designer.

Remember folks, an important part of the color pie is that unlike white, blue, black and green, red shouldn't be able to use artifacts to shore up its weaknesses!

hermit7

Finally finished getting all the pieces for Death and Taxes, ports are ridiculous but I guess a good one time buy. And I doubt they get reprinted for another 2 years at least (EMA 2) likely at the soonest.

Excited to really take it out this weekend and start playing.

Finally finished getting all the pieces for Death and Taxes, ports are ridiculous but I guess a good one time buy. And I doubt they get reprinted for another 2 years at least (EMA 2) likely at the soonest.

Excited to really take it out this weekend and start playing.

Congratulations! Ports are super expensive on MTGO which keeps me from wanting to play Lands.

hermit7

Congratulations! Ports are super expensive on MTGO which keeps me from wanting to play Lands.

Thanks!

Yeah I was putting it off for a while but decided to bite the bullet and get them.

I had started getting more and more pieces after EMA had released, but with the lack of a reprint figured now is when they will be cheapest.

I also had the thought they might be reprinted in conspiracy (outside shot at the very best) but since they weren't it solidified my opportunity. The copies I bought were in mp condition but were tcgdirect so the grading is likely to be better than individual sellers.

Crocodile

The total number of good punisher cards in existence can be counted on one hand. Making more punisher cards seems like a bad way to solve a problem.

Copperhorn Scout makes sense. Melee seems to be in Naya colors, so it helps you to swing out without leaving yourself too open. Caller of Gales is a little less relevant from what I can see, but, at the very least, it allows you to mess with combats that you're not involved in.

Nah those cards are still junk. What are you not running so you can play those cards instead? I'm sure 1 out of every 1000 games they are awesome but overall you are just giving up wins with them in your deck.

Yeef

Nah those cards are still junk. What are you not running so you can play those cards instead? I'm sure 1 out of every 1000 games they are awesome but overall you are just giving up wins with them in your deck.
There are always going to be junk cards in limited, but even if they're junk, they still fit the design of the set.

red13th

Conspiracy preorder prices are through the roof jesus, gonna wait until I order my cards. Recruiter is $27, Show and Tell is $48. Even IoK is $8! :(

Crocodile

There are always going to be junk cards in limited, but even if they're junk, they still fit the design of the set.

Dragon Egg is playable in EMA limited so that was an odd example to use.

As a multiplayer-focused set I don't see the need to have super duper chaff (which is different than just a weak card). Like Wild Griffin is mediocre, especially in a slower multiplayer format, but its not literal garbage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

As a multiplayer-focused set I don't see the need to have super duper chaff (which is different than just a weak card). Like Wild Griffin is mediocre, especially in a slower multiplayer format, but its not literal garbage.
My single best Conspiracy experience was drafting five Pillarfield Oxs and naming them with Brago's Favor, Muzzio's Preparations, and Secret Summoning. Turns out a 2W 3/5 that tutors for four more copies of itself is pretty good!

Yeef

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Dragon Egg. I see it as a 22nd or 23rd at best.

More to the point, Conspiracy isn't a super-serious draft format to begin with. It's closer to something like Commander or Planechase than it is to a normal draft set. I'm sure there are plenty of players out there that will use Galler of Gales as a bargaining chip ("Vote this way now and on your turn I'll give your guy flying so you can attack Steve unimpeded and become the monarch!") Even though I'm not personally into that sort of thing, I know there are a lot of people who are.

My single best Conspiracy experience was drafting five Pillarfield Oxs and naming them with Brago's Favor, Muzzio's Preparations, and Secret Summoning. Turns out a 2W 3/5 that tutors for four more copies of itself is pretty good!
My fondest Conspiracy shenanigans was having 3 Liliana's Specter that cost 1 less, tutored each other up and entered with a +1/+1 counter. Anytime I could cast one on turn 2 it would ruin everyone's day.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's really not difficult to think of red ways to destroy enchantments, like

Destroy target enchantment and deal X damage to its controller, where X is its CMC

This might be way too good idk, but it feels suitably red to me, like you're igniting the mana used to cast and maintain it shrug

Crocodile

For what its worth, I wasn't arguing that Dragon Egg was actively good. - just that in the right deck its not embarrassing. I've seen players I respect use the card to good effect, especially in B/R decks. I can't see the same being said for other cards. Conspiracies and other stuff help that goes for any card I suppose :p

jph139

I got four Doomed Travelers with Secret Summoning and Secrets of Paradise. I'd just mull until I got a Traveler + a bomb. Turn one Traveler, tutor for more, get up to four Travelers on turn two, turn three play a 7+ CMC Angel and wreck face.

And when they boardwipe? Spirits everywhere. Probably the highlight of my drafting history.

OnPoint

Will CoCo significantly drop in price when it rotates out?

I thought Eidelon of the Great Revel would drop and I could buy my 4th copy cheaply. It never did, not to the levels I thought it would (it's actually cheaper now). Co Co will likely drop some, but don't delay too long on buying it once it starts to trend down. It's played pretty regularly in Modern and one of the decks is sure to gain in popularity given this last weekend (Elves, Abzan).

bigkrev

oooh nice. A multiplayer cube would be cool, but can you play multiplayer on MTGO? A shame they don't have conspiracies online too.

Yes, there is multiplayer, and no, no one actually uses it.
There is a reason they stopped selling Commander on MTGO

Daedardus

When do we get the first sneak peak at Kaladesh to see what the set is all about? I read somewhere next week Friday but I don't know if that is correct. And is it me, or are they getting better at preventing leaks? I'm pretty sure the judge fiasco has something to do with it.

Yeef

While we're on the topic, a reminder that the current plan is to make a new topic on next Thursday evening (Pacific), thus skipping the first day of the World Championship but being ready for the Kaladesh unveil on Friday morning. The topic title will initially just be "Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - PAX and World Championship livestream" and the OP will be relatively barebones, both of which will be updated on the following Monday, when spoiler season starts. Does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

Crocodile

They are running a contest to design a new Magic Online Cube with a dfferent theme than what they currently have. http://magic.wizards.com/en/MTGO/ar...e/announcing-you-make-cube-contest-2016-08-23

4 winners get a playset of Kaladesh digitally (can be redeemed ) and $100 in play points

FFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK there goes my free time!

Since it seems most prudent to go for a Cube theme that hasn't been done before I have the following options for Cubes I can perfect for submission:

Zendikar/Eldrazi*
Ravnica
Tribal*
Artifact
Pauper
Enchantment

Which ones would people be most interested in hypothetically playing? I think the starred Cubes are in the best shape and need the least adjustments.

bigkrev

Since it seems most prudent to go for a Cube theme that hasn't been done before I have the following options for Cubes I can perfect for submission:

Zendikar/Eldrazi*
Ravnica
Tribal*
Artifact
Pauper
Enchantment

Which ones would people be most interested in hypothetically playing? I think the starred Cubes are in the best shape and need the least adjustments.

Just remember it's a cube that has to hold up for a person doing dozens of draft in a week. I think an enchantment cub would be fun once maybe twice before needing a break

If I had time, I would do an all uncommon cube, which would allow for some powerful stuff. It's tricky dealing with MTGO though- I don't think Sol Ring has an uncommon printing online, for example

Yeef

Zendikar/Eldrazi*
Ravnica
Tribal*
Artifact
Pauper
Enchantment

Of those, Ravnica and Enchantment seem the most interesting to me.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Zendikar/Eldrazi*
Ravnica
Tribal*
Artifact
Pauper
Enchantment

I mean, Zendikar format was horrible, and Battle for Zendikar format was passable, so I wouldn't pick that one unless it was just ROE: The Cube.

hermit7

I thought Eidelon of the Great Revel would drop and I could buy my 4th copy cheaply. It never did, not to the levels I thought it would (it's actually cheaper now). Co Co will likely drop some, but don't delay too long on buying it once it starts to trend down. It's played pretty regularly in Modern and one of the decks is sure to gain in popularity given this last weekend (Elves, Abzan).

The top Abzan deck actually wasn't coco. It was midrange, and the rise of dredge seems like it may impact the company build of Abzan if things like grafdiggers cage become more common in sideboards. Not saying that its prevalence isn't really high, but it was printed a ton and seems like it will reduce a fair amount.

OnPoint

The top Abzan deck actually wasn't coco. It was midrange, and the rise of dredge seems like it may impact the company build of Abzan if things like grafdiggers cage become more common in sideboards. Not saying that its prevalence isn't really high, but it was printed a ton and seems like it will reduce a fair amount.

I definitely had Cage in my SB during the Syracuse tourney to combat both CoCo and Dredge -- in fact, it won me the match against Abzan. So what you say makes sense. But Elves is potentially going to be a thing going forward.

Crocodile

I forgot I also have an Innistrad/Graveyard Cube in the works that I could push towards "completion" LOL

Just remember it's a cube that has to hold up for a person doing dozens of draft in a week. I think an enchantment cub would be fun once maybe twice before needing a break

If I had time, I would do an all uncommon cube, which would allow for some powerful stuff. It's tricky dealing with MTGO though- I don't think Sol Ring has an uncommon printing online, for example

That goes without saying though I don't think most/any of the Cubes I've made have this problem. Some of these Cubes have been playtested more than others though. Hopefully I can get some folks at the LGS or nearby to help me test.

hermit7

I definitely had Cage in my SB during the Syracuse tourney to combat both CoCo and Dredge -- in fact, it won me the match against Abzan. So what you say makes sense. But Elves is potentially going to be a thing going forward.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how things change with Elves winning. I don't think that it will really stay around. It seems to pop up and do well every once in a while and then die down again.

That dude did really well with the deck, and played against a bunch of decks that don't seem to be very good matchups. So maybe there is some staying power with that new elf that the dude threw in.

OnPoint

Yeah it will be interesting to see how things change with Elves winning. I don't think that it will really stay around. It seems to pop up and do well every once in a while and then die down again.

That dude did really well with the deck, and played against a bunch of decks that don't seem to be very good matchups. So maybe there is some staying power with that new elf that the dude threw in.

I played a GB elves deck while practicing, lost every game I couldn't pop off an O-stone or Ugin minus. It's a deck that demands answers.

kirblar

Jund/Abzan as they were tuned are actually good matchups for him. 2 sweepers isn't enough, especially when you can chord to counter them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom