• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Jund/Abzan as they were tuned are actually good matchups for him. 2 sweepers isn't enough, especially when you can chord to counter them.
Yeah, it was a bit baffling when all 5 casters thought that the gal with Jund was favoured when all she had to combat elves was 2 angers on the side, a few pieces of spot removal are inconsequential when your opponent is vomiting 5 elves a turn.

Wichu

Interesting how the alternate art has a different collector number instead of the text used on promo alternate arts. I guess it's not really a promo so they didn't want to do that?

Interesting how the alternate art has a different collector number instead of the text used on promo alternate arts.

Alternate versions of cards within a regular set always have the same set designation but a unique collector number. The thing that's surprising here is that it's 222 and not 71a or something like past examples.

Wichu

Alternate versions of cards within a regular set always have the same set designation but a unique collector number. The thing that's surprising here is that it's 222 and not 71a or something like past examples.

When was the last time we've had alternate arts within a regular set?

Daedardus

Too bad.

In others news, I've been assembling an Abzan Modern-esque deck so some of my friends who don't have great decks can play against my Nahiri Jeskai deck. What are some of the best direct options against control? I'm building the deck somewhat on a budget so I'm not willing to make the deck completely like the actual Modern variants, but I'm willing to spend a bit to give it a good chance against my deck. I've already listed Voice of Ressurgence, Thragtusk and Thrunn, the Last Troll. Those are the hardest to deal with because they are quite removal resilient. Are there any other options?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Kaya has special art for her foil version- all foils of her look like this:

So why do we surmise they did this just for Kaya and not other Mythics or even Daretti? Does this seem to signify that some key characters may get alt art foils in the future or does this strike you guys as a one-off?

kirblar

So why do we surmise they did this just for Kaya and not other Mythics or even Daretti? Does this seem to signify that some key characters may get alt art foils in the future or does this strike you guys as a one-off?
It has to do with her abilities, they decided to do something cool with the incorporeal thing.

When was the last time we've had alternate arts within a regular set?

A full list, as best I can recall, of alternate versions of cards in regular sets:

• Arabian Nights, 1993: Printing errors on common cards mean each one has two versions, one with regular mana symbols and one with "dark" mana symbols.
  • Fallen Empires, 1994: Every common has either 3 or 4 different illustrations, all by different artists and typically very distinct from one another.
  • Homelands, 1995: Each common has 2 different illustrations by the same artist, generally looking very similar.
  • Alliances, 1996: Like with Homelands, each common has 2 illustrations by the same artist.
  • Planeshift, 2001: The three Legendary permanents (Ertai the Corrupted, Skyship Weatherlight, and Tahngarth, Talruum Hero) each have a different illustration on their foil version; they have the same collector number with a star in front.
  • Unhinged, 2004: A bunch of cards have alternate versions in foil, with either custom foil patterns that are visible in the text boxes, tweaks to the art/borders, or both.
  • Champions of Kamigawa, 2004: Brothers Yamazaki have two different illustrations, numbered with a and b.
  • Tenth Edition, 2007: All foil cards are missing reminder text completely; many cards have new flavor text or otherwise nicer layout as a result.
  • Fate Reforged, 2015: six cards have custom foil watermarks that aren't present at all on the regular versions, and which can be seen as either the Khans or Dragons expansion symbol depending on the angle.

This would be the first time since 2004 that card art changed on foil versions, and the first set besides Planeshift to actually include a completely new illustration for a foil card.

A full list, as best I can recall, of alternate versions of cards in regular sets:

• Arabian Nights, 1993: Printing errors on common cards mean each one has two versions, one with regular mana symbols and one with "dark" mana symbols.
  • Fallen Empires, 1994: Every common has either 3 or 4 different illustrations, all by different artists and typically very distinct from one another.
  • Homelands, 1995: Each common has 2 different illustrations by the same artist, generally looking very similar.
  • Alliances, 1996: Like with Homelands, each common has 2 illustrations by the same artist.
  • Planeshift, 2001: The three Legendary permanents (Ertai the Corrupted, Skyship Weatherlight, and Tahngarth, Talruum Hero) each have a different illustration on their foil version; they have the same collector number with a star in front.
  • Unhinged, 2004: A bunch of cards have alternate versions in foil, with either custom foil patterns that are visible in the text boxes, tweaks to the art/borders, or both.
  • Champions of Kamigawa, 2004: Brothers Yamazaki have two different illustrations, numbered with a and b.
  • Tenth Edition, 2007: All foil cards are missing reminder text completely; many cards have new flavor text or otherwise nicer layout as a result.
  • Fate Reforged, 2015: six cards have custom foil watermarks that aren't present at all on the regular versions, and which can be seen as either the Khans or Dragons expansion symbol depending on the angle.

This would be the first time since 2004 that card art changed on foil versions, and the first set besides Planeshift to actually include a completely new illustration for a foil card.

Do you have a computer chip in your brain? How on earth did you remember all that.

Bandini

That feeling when you're playing Vintage Cube, Duress your opponent, see that he's on storm, and let him start going off next turn only to Mystic Confluence (Mana Leak x3) his Demonic Pact

Joba62x

Neo Member

They had the regular art on foils at a normal insert rate, the Alt art with the star were super rare, I've always tried to find how rare but can never find any info. Somewhere I read 1 in 10 sealed cases but couldn't verify it. I pulled an Ertai on release day and it was one of the few cards to survive my purge of cards in 2004. I still have it displayed in a case next to my hand painted Chris Rush Lotus.
nKnbhuS.jpg

red13th

I want another Eternal Masters next year, I can't live without Eternal Masters anymore. Or at least another cool Conspiracy set with great reprints. Modern Masters don't interest me anymore. :p

Finally did it! Finished the first run of my EDH Cube :)

Goddamn that took a long time. I built it by opening up Mythicspoiler and literally clicking through every card ever printed lol

Time to run some tests on Cockatrice.

My main goal was to maintain the spirit of the format while not having the actual games be so miserable. So in opposition to what most people do, I got rid of most of the board resets and counterspells and actually jacked up the number of possible infinites instead of eliminating them. I've played EDH Cube games that have gone on for 3+ hours. Hopefully people will be able to kill each other more often with my version.

edit: boo, draft websites don't accept 1996 World Champion.

rip

red13th

God's Beard!";214782180][URL="http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/61600 said:
Finally did it! Finished the first run of my EDH Cube :)[/URL]

Goddamn that took a long time. I built it by opening up Mythicspoiler and literally clicking through every card ever printed lol

Time to run some tests on Cockatrice.

My main goal was to maintain the spirit of the format while not having the actual games be so miserable. So in opposition to what most people do, I got rid of most of the board resets and counterspells and actually jacked up the number of possible infinites instead of eliminating them. I've played EDH Cube games that have gone on for 3+ hours. Hopefully people will be able to kill each other more often with my version.

edit: boo, draft websites don't accept 1996 World Champion.

rip

I don't know if it's on purpose but your cube has two copies of Grim Haruspex, Arlinn Kord and Westvale Abbey.

OnPoint

Man, Efro is just a miserable human being. Kai is making jokes and he's just straight face shutting him down.

Granted this is a really boring match.

First test run was a massive success.
People were excited for their turns and the game ended super fast. From the time I opened the room to the last turn was under two hours, and that's including waiting the 15 minutes for people to join and one dude lagging out. Once I smooth out the kinks I'll be hosting these drafts a lot more.

WE DID IT BOYS:

kjhlkjb2sn3.png

9/9 Flying, First Strike, Lifelink, Vigilance, Trample, Indestructible

edit: replaced the repeat cards, should be good to go now.

BTW, Rosewater confirmed again that in September (probably very shortly after the Kaladesh reveal) we'll be having the next Announcement Day, revealing the product schedule for the next half year (in this case, March - August 2017.) Judging by historical precedent, we can expect to see:

• The Spring 2017 block, and also its small-set followup.
  • The Spring Duel Deck, typically in March. (Previously we had a pretty standardized pattern of upcoming block theme in Fall, last-years'-planeswalker-conflict in Spring, but that's been disrupted by the 2-block paradigm, so who knows what this'll be.)
  • The Late-Spring reprint set, aka Eternal Masters last year. 2017 was planned before 2016 sets came out so I'm confident they'll follow the same pattern for at least one more year. MM3 is probably the safe bet for this slot.
  • The Summer Supplemental set. It's been a few years since we last saw it and (again, if this year is an indication) this slot doesn't have to fight off Masters sets anymore, so my money is on Planechase 3.
  • The annual From the Vault, which typically releases in August.

Do you have a computer chip in your brain? How on earth did you remember all that.

My wife jokes that I don't have space for more useful things in my brain because I used up too much on Magic cards. :(

They had the regular art on foils at a normal insert rate, the Alt art with the star were super rare, I've always tried to find how rare but can never find any info.

I didn't have the whole picture here I guess. Cool! Thanks for the clarification. I've only ever seen a single alt-art Tahngarth in person, never seen anyone with either of the other two.

Ashodin

BTW, Rosewater confirmed again that in September (probably very shortly after the Kaladesh reveal) we'll be having the next Announcement Day, revealing the product schedule for the next half year (in this case, March - August 2017.) Judging by historical precedent, we can expect to see:

• The Spring Duel Deck, typically in March. (Previously we had a pretty standardized pattern of upcoming block theme in Fall, last-years'-planeswalker-conflict in Spring, but that's been disrupted by the 2-block paradigm, so who knows what this'll be.)
  • The Late-Spring reprint set, aka Eternal Masters last year. 2017 was planned before 2016 sets came out so I'm confident they'll follow the same pattern for at least one more year. MM3 is probably the safe bet for this slot.
  • The Summer Supplemental set. It's been a few years since we last saw it and (again, if this year is an indication) this slot doesn't have to fight off Masters sets anymore, so my money is on Planechase 3.

My wife jokes that I don't have space for more useful things in my brain because I used up too much on Magic cards. :(

I didn't have the whole picture here I guess. Cool! Thanks for the clarification. I've only ever seen a single alt-art Tahngarth in person, never seen anyone with either of the other two.
shit so many announcements are gonna fry my brain

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";214797684]If you don't mind me asking, are you involved in game design? Your MTG posts are almost exclusively reacting to R&D stuff. As I recall, you entered one of the GDSs?[/QUOTE]

I entered both; missed round 3 cutoff by one question the first time, made round 3 (one of 99) and submitted a design sample the second time.
Most of my mechanics have been done in other sets since, not that I'm salty or anything.
It sounds like actually working at WotC outside the design team is pretty crappy, sadly, but at the time I definitely would have strongly considered actually taking the gig.

I don't work in games as a career but I do have some very minor credits in some tabletop stuff, and most of the people I know outside of work these days are all involved in games in some capacity.

Ashodin

I'll be the first to admit outside of my meager money I make from my indie games I'm generally the homemaker of the two of us, my wife makes more than enough money for the both of us for easy living.

Santiako

That's going to be a bit overwhelming to take in at once for some people.

red13th

Buylisted my 40 Allosaurus Riders for 2.50 each (I'm going for store credit so +25% on top of that). Considering I bought them for less than a dollar each, I'm fine with the deal, heh. And there goes my short career as a speculator!

OnPoint

I am not a fan of the giant product announcement dump they do now. I can see how it's cutting back on leaks, but man, it's so much less exciting.

red13th

Also went ahead and buylisted my Ancestral Visions and my Flusterstorm, eh, might as well. I love how bought a Duel Deck Anthology Vision for $8 a couple weeks before the unban.

OnPoint

Also went ahead and buylisted my Ancestral Visions and my Flusterstorm, eh, might as well. I love how bought a Duel Deck Anthology Vision for $8 a couple weeks before the unban.

I would be interested in that Flusterstorm for a decent price if you're able to unlist it.

OnPoint

I literally shipped it a few minutes ago :/

Dang it.

Dar Magic-GAF fam at large, if you have cards you don't want, be sure to discuss with the thread first. I've bought cards from folks on here quite a few times now and it's always a better experience for everyone involved.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

They are gonna burn people out on wanting to buy new product.

Santiako

Dang it.

Dar Magic-GAF fam at large, if you have cards you don't want, be sure to discuss with the thread first. I've bought cards from folks on here quite a few times now and it's always a better experience for everyone involved.

I just find magiccardmarket so fast, easy, safe and convenient that I can't be bothered to discuss trades or anything like that :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom