• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

*hugs his two Nahiris*

FUCKIN RIDE DOWN

I'm gonna brew up a STORM after the rest of this set is revealed

Show me some more equipment! Show me some more white/red Equipment lovers! DO EEEEEEEEEEEET

Real talk: Do you think Ride Down would be better in RW Equipment over Declaration in Stone?

Zocano

Man. What a damn missed opportunity to make an Eldrazi Dragon.

Though missed opportunity is the theme of the set, so.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
*hugs his two Nahiris*

FUCKIN RIDE DOWN

I'm gonna brew up a STORM after the rest of this set is revealed

Show me some more equipment! Show me some more white/red Equipment lovers! DO EEEEEEEEEEEET

Real talk: Do you think Ride Down would be better in RW Equipment over Declaration in Stone?

Why wouldnt you have both?

Ashodin

Why wouldnt you have both?

Ride Down + Declaration In Stone + Incendiary Flow

I only have so much space in my deck breh

Incendiary Flow is really good, I like being able to fuck up a planeswalker with it and/or kill things that should get tokens out (Hangarback Walkers, et al)

Ride Down might be a sideboard card versus other matchups I think.

Ashodin

I gotta remember a LOT of the problem cards will be rotating in several months time for standard - CoCo, Hangarback walkers, etc.

The shell will still be there for GW Tokens, Gideon/Nissa, etc.

Firemind

Hm? It's been ticking slightly upward, but still around the 45-50 dollar mark it's been since it's unbanning. A bit too much imho, a reprint in MM17 is really needed.
Yeah but now it shot up online as well. Good since I was lucky enough to crack two during TSP flashback drafts.

Zocano

I don't understand what you guys got miffed about. I'm not talking about mechanics or anything, they could fit all sorts of anything to an Eldrazi Dragon card.

I just wanted a cool crazy cthulu dragon. Like this:

gaping-dragon-large.jpg

But with tentacles.

I'm not sure I follow. Is this just about them not printing stuff to counter Collected Company?

Meld is underutilized and a let down.

Seligrafo

I like the Eldrazi and I like the Gatewatch. I feel legitimately invested in the story more than "Here is Jace's adventures alone in the big city where nothing happens" and "Jace returns to the big city where nothing happens".

Origins onwards has made me legit enjoy the characters.

duxstar

Whats the consensus on what's been spoiled so far ? I hate the narrative that everything is just fine and the set is awesome from the usual outlets, but I often wonder if it's just me growing colder to magic for a time, and that maybe everyone really does think this set seem's awesome and powerful.

For example on mtggoldfish podcast they all said how awesome the set feel's/looks, and how powerful some of the cards are; and in my head I'm just like ..... really ? Do you honestly feel that way.

Other than Eldritch Evolution, what card would you say is incredibly powerful ? Theres about 2 or 3 cards that I would even try to brew around, and other than that i just feel kinda meh.

Whats the consensus on what's been spoiled so far ? I hate the narrative that everything is just fine and the set is awesome from the usual outlets, but I often wonder if it's just me growing colder to magic for a time, and that maybe everyone really does think this set seem's awesome and powerful.

For example on mtggoldfish podcast they all said how awesome the set feel's/looks, and how powerful some of the cards are; and in my head I'm just like ..... really ? Do you honestly feel that way.

Other than Eldritch Evolution, what card would you say is incredibly powerful ? Theres about 2 or 3 cards that I would even try to brew around, and other than that i just feel kinda meh.

Let's see. People in this thread seem mostly cold toward this set, but the Penny Arcade thread seems largely positive. Mythic Spoiler's random Facebook comments seem mostly positive. It's hard to say what MTG Salvation thinks, but I feel like they're positive.

Ashodin

I feel like here, we have a more objective look at the cards with our subjective opinions backing them.

Out there in the internet it can be a pretty huge echo chamber of "AWESOME NEW SET CHECK OUT CARD WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WIZARDS OF THE COAST ARE THE BEST LOLOLOL"

From a YouTuber standpoint, it feels that way as well.

Jhriad

Wait, what? Ancestral Visions just tripled in value, both online and paper. o_0

Not sure where you're seeing that. TCGPlayer still has copies around TCGMid (high 40 range). Near mint supply is very low so there might've been an attempted buyout earlier that temporarily spiked the market prices. Either way, looking at supply it looks like it's probably going to jump again soon enough if organic demand continues at the current pace. Probably going to see $60+ copies for PPTQ season. If only they'd thought to print some additional supply into some eternal supplemental product that was coming out around the same time as the unbanning...

Firemind

I can't believe Sigil of Distinction is still bugged on MTGO. Shards of Alara is almost 8 years old. Fix your shit, Wizards!

Neoweee

Why isn't this in blue? It's a spirit, it creates a copy, and blue need defensive options.

Spirits can be green, even on Innistrad (Strangleroot Geist). 1/3 for G is definitely Green. It creates a copy... sort of, in a way that they could be trying to push into G. A 1/3 that turns other things into 1/3s is Lignify-ish. It defangs more than it clones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Permeating Mass is better than it sounds. It's a cheap blocker that renders anything it hits basically non-threatening.

It can profitably stop Sylvan Advocate for half of the cost of Advocate.

Ashodin

Permeating Mass is better than it sounds. It's a cheap blocker that renders anything it hits basically non-threatening.

It can profitably stop Sylvan Advocate for half of the cost of Advocate.

It is STUPID good vs. Sylvan Advocate. Completely shuts off the card. Has to tap to attack, loses the +2/+2 later, etc.

duxstar

The question about Permeate mass though, is what deck wants it ? I get that its a 1 drop 1/3 that nullifies the opponent's attackers, but there aren't really any green control decks at the moment, unless thats what g/w is classified as, maybe the g/b decks want this ability ?

I think the set looks a little disappointing, but only like DTK level at worst. There are still a lot of interesting cards that I'm looking forward to, though my perspective is a bit different since I don't care about tier 1 standard.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The question about Permeate mass though, is what deck wants it ? I get that its a 1 drop 1/3 that nullifies the opponent's attackers, but there aren't really any green control decks at the moment, unless thats what g/w is classified as, maybe the g/b decks want this ability ?

Ramp, Delirium, anything green and not super fast. A Permeating Mass completely fucks over Mono-White Humans, Sylvan Advocates, out of both Tokens and Bant, etc. It doesn't stop a Tracker but it stops a tracker from accumulating more clues if you cannot otherwise answer the Tracker.

It's a sideboard anti-aggro card.

Angry Grimace

A 1/3 that doesn't have defender is already pretty good rate. A 1/3 that turns everything it blocks into 1/3s and strips their relevant is just above rate. The reason people never considered playing the card you are linking is because people were playing Arashin Cleric.

The idea is to not be dead by the time you cast Languish, especially if you can't get it off on Turn 4.

A 1/3 that doesn't have defender is already pretty good rate. A 1/3 that turns everything it blocks into 1/3s and strips their relevant is just above rate. The reason people didn't play the card you are linking is because people were playing Arashin Cleric.

Sure, I just don't see it as a hard counter. You can get a ton of mileage out of it but it could just as well be little more than a turn 2 fog.

The problem with this set is that it feels they blew all of their creativity and risk-taking on a single mechanic that they weren't even willing to go all the way with. Meld is sweet - the rest of the set feels super safe to the point of kinda being boring.

El Topo

Ramp, Delirium, anything green and not super fast. A Permeating Mass completely fucks over Mono-White Humans, Sylvan Advocates, out of both Tokens and Bant, etc. It doesn't stop a Tracker but it stops a tracker from accumulating more clues if you cannot otherwise answer the Tracker.

It's a sideboard anti-aggro card.

Given the current meta it might be reasonable to main deck it. Although I don't think it is *that* strong, given that e.g. Humans functions over +1/+1 counters.

Toxi

Banned
Why isn't this in blue? It's a spirit, it creates a copy, and blue need defensive options.
Spirits in Innistrad come in all colors, even if they're centralized in White/Blue.

As for the ability, similar "assimilation" abilities have shown up in Green.
Image.ashx

Angry Grimace

Sure, I just don't see it as a hard counter. You can get a ton of mileage out of it but it could just as well be little more than a turn 2 fog.
Your requirement seems far too strict. There's no such thing as hard counters in Standard these days because they don't print silver bullet hate cards (e.g. Leylines against certain decks) very often. You're just trying to slow them down until you can drop a Languish or a bigger creature. If you can stall an aggro opponent for 2 or 3 turns off a 1 mana creature its doing its job.

Jaddi Offshoot saw some sideboard play last year and it has defender and 0 power.

Your requirement seems far too strict. There's no such thing as hard counters in Standard these days because they don't print silver bullet hate cards (e.g. Leylines against certain decks) very often. You're just trying to slow them down until you can drop a Languish or a bigger creature. If you can stall an aggro opponent for 2 or 3 turns off a 1 mana creature its doing its job.

Jaddi Offshoot saw some sideboard play last year and it has defender and 0 power.

what else could you mean by "completely fuck over"?

Let's see. People in this thread seem mostly cold toward this set, but the Penny Arcade thread seems largely positive. Mythic Spoiler's random Facebook comments seem mostly positive. It's hard to say what MTG Salvation thinks, but I feel like they're positive.

I think we should note that this thread leans very strongly into the negative overall. MTGS is usually split between misterorange-style always-enthusiastic types and the kind of people who respond to every thread to say "fake"; r/magictcg runs bipolar (like a lot of reddit communities) but probably leans positive on new expansions in general. I think my particular twitter list (which is a mix of pro players, media types, and randos) is around neutral overall, mostly muted positive or muted negative individually.

Creatures that copy themselves unboundedly have been a green thing for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom