• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found my zombie token of choice.

en_vpvtSxqjtz.png

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A counterspell that telegraphs itself isn't exactly nuts.

If it was may... then it wouldn't really matter. The only downside would be it being able to be countered itself by enchantment removal and your opponent know you have access to fire it off but that would easily be worth the upside of being able to efficiently spend your mana which isnt the case with a traditional counterspell (you have to keep mana up + your opponent actually has to play a spell you want to conuter)

If it was may... then it wouldn't really matter. The only downside would be it being able to be countered itself by enchantment removal and your opponent know you have access to fire it off but that would easily be worth the upside of being able to efficiently spend your mana which isnt the case with a traditional counterspell (you have to keep mana up + your opponent actually has to play a spell you want to conuter)

Without the word "may", this is Cancel at sorcery speed. Everyone needs to let that sink in before they ever consider playing this card.

ultron87

A counterspell that telegraphs itself isn't exactly nuts.

(This is all obviously evaluating it if it had "may", as a thought exercise.)

I mean I never played with Daring Apprentice (which I didn't know existed till Charlequin just mentioned it) but it seems like an effect that'd be pretty good for combo or control decks, especially against other counterspell decks. Going turn 3 Seal of Cancel (a turn where you might keep up a counterspell anyway) and then untapping for the rest of the game with a 0-mana Cancel ready to go seems pretty good. To stop your important card your opponent now needs an extra counter, and they need one more counter to protect their important card (and the counter would need to hit a triggered ability). Being able to Wrath in the early game with a counterspell up would be pretty strong against a lot of decks.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member

I mean I never played with Daring Apprentice (which I didn't know existed till Charlequin just mentioned it) but it seems like an effect that'd be pretty good for combo or control decks, especially against other counterspell decks. Going turn 3 Seal of Cancel (a turn where you might keep up a counterspell anyway) and then untapping for the rest of the game with a 0-mana Cancel ready to go seems pretty good. To stop your important card your opponent now needs an extra counter, and they need one more counter to protect their important card (and the counter would need to hit a triggered ability). Being able to Wrath in the early game with a counterspell up would be pretty strong against a lot of decks.

It's a mandatory, they are just going play the worst spell in their hand instantly to get rid of it

Edit: I can't read.

I do think that an enchantment with the ability to selectively counter a spell would be playable. And cards like Cursecatcher, and the new Spirit are actively good. Without the ability to control what spell you sacrifice this new card to, it is beyond bad. This is the most obvious skill test card I've ever seen. If it was a sorcery that said: "When an opponent casts their first spell after you cast (this sorcery), counter that spell." No one would play that card. Putting that effect on an enchantment doesn't make such a middling effect worth playing. Not even to get delirium IMO.

y2dvd

Any of yall shop around Craigslist at all? Just found a guy that is willing to trade away his expedition catacomb for cheap for standard stuff. We'll be meeting up this Saturday. Will be an awesome find if it goes through. Bye bye tier2 Ramp deck, hello enemy fetchland that I've been trying to obtain forever!

Bandini

Any of yall shop around Craigslist at all? Just found a guy that is willing to trade away his expedition catacomb for cheap for standard stuff. We'll be meeting up this Saturday. Will be an awesome find if it goes through. Bye bye tier2 Ramp deck, hello enemy fetchland that I've been trying to obtain forever!

That's a good trade for you. Just make sure to meet him in a public place like a McDonalds.

I mean I never played with Daring Apprentice (which I didn't know existed till Charlequin just mentioned it) but it seems like an effect that'd be pretty good for combo or control decks, especially against other counterspell decks. Going turn 3 Seal of Cancel (a turn where you might keep up a counterspell anyway) and then untapping for the rest of the game with a 0-mana Cancel ready to go seems pretty good.

Yes, people are significantly underestimating the value of Seal of Cancel, which is primarily in that you invest mana upfront and then have a zero mana counterspell available whenever you need it for the rest of the game. But yes, this is indeed not Seal of Cancel.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yes, people are significantly underestimating the value of Seal of Cancel, which is primarily in that you invest mana upfront and then have a zero mana counterspell available whenever you need it for the rest of the game. But yes, this is indeed not Seal of Cancel.

To be clear, we're not discussing the current card right?

Crocodile

Pestilence and shit would be amazing

If by amazing you mean probably do nothing in Standard and ruin any Limited game it shows up in then yes, "amazing".

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209448910]Unfortunately the number crunch precludes the inclusion of Terramorphic Expanse.

5 color delirium rip[/QUOTE]

Evolving Wilds is in BFZ block so you should be good for Standard

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209448910]Unfortunately the number crunch precludes the inclusion of Terramorphic Expanse.

5 color delirium rip[/QUOTE]
But Cavern of Souls is still Valid!

#BelieveInInnistrad

Daedardus

What do you guys use for deck boxes? I'm looking for something durable, easy to handle but with a nice aesthetic. Price isn't an issue, decks are more expensive anyway and it's more important to me that it keeps the deck safe.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If by amazing you mean probably do nothing in Standard and ruin any Limited game it shows up in then yes, "amazing".

Evolving Wilds is in BFZ block so you should be good for Standard

Terramorphic Expanse is strictly better than Evolving Wilds everyone knows this

(I think he wants to use both of them )

red13th

I remember seeing a kickstarter for some pretty nifty wooden deckboxes, I don't know if they are for sale already though.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Did some research online today and apparantly these open up with the slightest shake. The Ultimate Guard are seemingly better in that regard. They are also cheaper, so I went with those, although I had to order them from the UK since there are no big stores selling them in the mainland.

I recommend against those. Got one of them for my first EDH Deck. The cards fit ok (lots of leftover space) and like those reviews say, the cap really has no strength to it. I'm forced to always keep it in my hands or put something on top whenever I carry it in a bag. It looks and feels nice - but no practical use -

I need that full spoiler. Can't wait to spend the next couple weeks brewing/testing, realize G/W/u is still king and then find something else to do with my summer.

Daedardus

I think those are the Wyrmwood boxes. They look really nice, have a lot of different types of wood, but they are also quite expensive (ranging from 70 to 400 dollars) and I don't know if I trust a wooden deckbox.

Santiako

I use a satin tower from ultra pro for my good EDH deck and a simple two piece plastic box for the rest (bad EDH, standard, etc)

4jCzChT.jpg

Oxy8sow.jpg

Firemind

Did some research online today and apparantly these open up with the slightest shake. The Ultimate Guard are seemingly better in that regard. They are also cheaper, so I went with those, although I had to order them from the UK since there are no big stores selling them in the mainland.
I recommend against those. Got one of them for my first EDH Deck. The cards fit ok (lots of leftover space) and like those reviews say, the cap really has no strength to it. I'm forced to always keep it in my hands or put something on top whenever I carry it in a bag. It looks and feels nice - but no practical use -
Really? Never had that happen once and I use a sports bag.

Edit: For 60 + 15 sideboard cards I use these boxes from Hobby Japan.

289006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom