• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sometimes you "draw your opponent a card" when you cast Emrakul.

Sometimes you look at his hand then cast Fall of the Titans for 11 with a Pyromancer's Goggles targeting himself.

Still needing these cards, please! I have plenty of cards to trade.

x2 Life from the Loam (Duel Deck version)
x3 Exploration (Conspiracy)
x3 Stifle (Conspiracy)
x1 Manabond
x1 Riftstone Portal
x4 Krosan Grip
x2 Tireless Tracker
x2 Boil
x4 Cabal Therapy (Eternal Masters)
x4 Daze (Eternal Masters)

Also, if any of you happen to know, which site generally gives the most cash for card trade ins? I saw on one of them that for Liliana of the Veil for example, they give $76 (+20% for store credit). That seemed pretty good to me. I'm really wanting to get into MTGO and I figure that the best way to fund some decks is to trade in some paper cards.

I hope that they transition peoples digital Magic collection over to the new client smoothly. I'm wondering what it will do to the Modo card price economy. Maybe the shiny new client will bring in a lot more users, thus increasing demand and making prices go up?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh my gosh
He got unlucky because he drew a Galvanic Bombardment that gave him Surge. He wasn't gonna live through Emrakul herself anyways but it was more fun to kill him that way. And the flavor of using Fall of the Titans with Emrakul and the Chandra associated artifact.

It was funny because I had Gisela in my opening hand, then later drew Avacyn and Bruna. I had plenty of swamps, but only one Plains. Finally I drew one and all hell broke loose. Cast, then melded them together, and he audibly went "Oh fuck", and then I cast Avacyn and he just kinda laughed and was like "WHO did you kill to get this lucky?"

And then I pulled Emrakul out of a prize pack and cackled as I walked out the door

I'm fine with green and white getting their day in the sun. I'm more worried about how long they are gonna allow red to be shit because they hate it.

I tried to force G/W a few years ago and it was very hard. I had such good cards but just couldn't edge out to the top. So I agree, I'm fine that Selesnya got a moment to shine. Vindicates for all of the damned U/W shenanigans a few years ago.

El Topo

I'm fine with green and white getting their day in the sun. I'm more worried about how long they are gonna allow red to be shit because they hate it.

Well, how about we make some broken cards in Blue, then make fixed versions in Red, would that help?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It was funny because I had Gisela in my opening hand, then later drew Avacyn and Bruna. I had plenty of swamps, but only one Plains. Finally I drew one and all hell broke loose. Cast, then melded them together, and he audibly went "Oh fuck", and then I cast Avacyn and he just kinda laughed and was like "WHO did you kill to get this lucky?"

And then I pulled Emrakul out of a prize pack and cackled as I walked out the door

So who did you kill?

zethren

Banned
Went 2-2, not bad for me since I'm generally trash at sealed haha.

Got some great pulls though:
Tamiyo
Emrakul
Splendid Reclamation (foil promo)
Spell Queller
Hanweir Garrison

Played a B/R deck with a bunch of cheap dudes and removal. Threw Emrakul in for good measure, and I was frequently 1 mana away from casting her but never was able to lol.

Stars of the night for me were:
Hanweir Garrison - my god, this card put in some work. If the opponent couldn't remove it, it got out of control quickly. Didn't even have its Meld companion.

Cryptolith Fragment - loved this card. Every time it flipped, I won that turn or the turn after.

I've got a somewhat janky B/G delirium deck and I'm looking forward to adding some of the EMN cards in for next FNM!

Angry Grimace

Emrakul is the goddamn best.

Emrakul'd a dude: he had 5 mana out and an untransformed Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. His hand:

1) Emrakul
2) Emrakul
3) Ruinous Path
4) Dark Petition

I cast Dark Petition, picked up a for Hangarback Walker, cast it for 0, and then used the Dark Petition mana to kill his Jace.

Along with the prerelease box, would it be worth it to buy any of the intro packs or probably not?

An intro pack would provide a framework for you to make a deck. The initial deck isn't good, but you can use your other cards to swap things out, and this will go a long way in helping you understand deck construction.

If you don't feel like you need a framework to make a deck, then it isn't worth getting.

With Oath Chandra finally in my EDH deck I can finally fetch for a big and a small creature wrath with call the gatewatch.
The PW tutor is a testimony to Nahiri's strength though 8/10 times I'm fetching her in EDH.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Had some fun at pre-release. My pool was pretty decent despite the SOI rares being off-color dual lands, Coax from the Blind Eternities being one of the EMN rares and Collective Brutality not being playable because I pretty much had nothing going on in black. Promo was a Spirit of the Hunt and I pulled another one from one of my packs. Last EMN rare / mythic was Emrakul, the Promised End. Went into W/G because those were my strongest colors.

Round 1 vs. W/G | 1 - 0
Had a great early start flipping Lone Rider into It That Rides as One with a Silverstrike. After that it very quickly turned into a massive board stall where neither of us could attack. I drew and cast Emrakul and made him attack into my board, wiping his side and winning me the game. The second game was just starting to develop into another board stall when we had to stop due to time.

Round 2 vs. Bant | 2 - 0
Won the first game very quickly by flipping Lone Rider on turn 3 with Aim High. Second game my opponent got stuck with blue cards in hand with only a single island on the field, which allowed me to build up my board and overwhelm him.

Round 3 vs. B/G | 0 - 2
I could not keep up with the Delirium / graveyard value he was putting out. I had nothing to answer the advantage he got from casting Season's Past with a full graveyard in game one. In the second game I again just fell behind with the graveyard value he was getting. It was great to see this deck in action though, as from what I saw the majority of the other players (including me) were playing either W/U, W/G, or Bant.

Round 4 vs. B/R | 1 - 1
First game I got mana-screwed really hard after taking a mulligan to five. He took down my only real threat early on and it was pretty much lost from there. The second game was won - again - thanks to an early Lone Rider flip. The third game went on fairly long as we were both building our boards up. Eventually he broke through and things were starting to look pretty bad for me with him getting me in lethal range. I had Emrakul in hand from the start and was one mana / one type in the graveyard short from casting her. We got the five-turns-left warning. I block my two Desperate Sentries dead to stay alive and get better blockers. I draw play a creature on my turn. He again attacks and I block everything dead except one of his and one of mine. My turn. I draw and play Terrarion. On his turn he kills both our creatures with Ruthless Disposal. End of the five turns. I would have had him dead next turn by saccing the Terrarion and casting Emrakul, but sadly it was not to be and I had to settle for a tie.

Round 5 vs. W/G | 1 - 2
Game one we both started building the board, but he won through his Dawn Gryff which I did not draw an answer for in time. Second game I won once again thanks to an early flipped Lone Rider. Third game I got blown out by turn four Faith Unbroken on a Human hitting my only threat, turn five Heron's Grace Champion. I had no real way to come back from that.

End result | 2 - 2 - 1

Got a single prize pack, which got me a second Coax from the Blind Eternities. That doesn't matter much though, because I had some fun playing Magic and I got to cast Emrakul. ^w^ Lone Rider // It That Rides as One definitely did the most work for me and I flipped it in every game I played it in. Other honorable mentions go to Ulvenwald Captive, Spirit of the Hunt, Desperate Sentry, and Ironclad Slayer + Choking Restraints value.

Fun fact; Someone at our pre-release played B/R, splashing Bant for Tamiyo.
If you want to go really advanced, later on the article suggests creating a completely different deck that you can sideboard in if your initial deck isn't a good match up. Remember, you can do that in Sealed.
A friend successfully did this at the pre-release. Lost his first two games playing W/U, then switched to W/R and won two and tied one.

Wichu

Man, some insane pools here.

Someone at my prerelease opened Always Watching x2, Sorin, Avacyn, and Emrakul in his pool.

He didn't stand a chance against a guy who was actually just a giant crab in a human suit. Who was in turn secretly an octopus in a crab suit.

RussianDollEldrazi.dek a.k.a. THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM

Ended up 5-1 overall, tying for first place but coming 5th after tiebreakers.

I think the most valuable pool I've opened was my DTK. Got Sarkhan Unbroken, Dragonlord Ojutai, and a Promo Dromoka's Command.

FRF the best card opened was a Monastery Mentor(the rest was FRF tier rares), Origins was probably my Promo Wingmare(maybe the Piledriver), BFZ was a foil prarie Stream(opened by my partner in 2HG), Oath was.. bad, to say the least. I think Sphinx of "No" was the best one. SoI was Sin Prodder(remember when everyone wanted him? I still think he's good) And a foil Game Trail.

After Siege Rhino and Sylvan Advocate, I'm cool if they never print another 4/5 again.

clonewis8z.png

Stars of the night for me were:
Hanweir Garrison - my god, this card put in some work. If the opponent couldn't remove it, it got out of control quickly. Didn't even have its Meld companion.

This card did some damage for me, too. It got dealt with after 3 turns of creating humans, so I cast Soul Separator to bring it back as a 1/1 flying spirit and just kept making dudes. It was out of control.

Emrakul is the goddamn best.

Emrakul'd a dude: he had 5 mana out and an untransformed Jace, Vryn's Prodigy. His hand:

1) Emrakul
2) Emrakul
3) Ruinous Path
4) Dark Petition

I cast Dark Petition, picked up a for Hangarback Walker, cast it for 0, and then used the Dark Petition mana to kill his Jace.
But you potentially reduced the costs of his emra2ls by 3 each oh noes :<

Angry Grimace

Ugh just lost the most obnoxious match. Dude had the most insanely perfect curve outs both games. Literally unbeatable.

Which cards from the new set do you guys think will see some eternal format play?

Spell Queller and new Thalia are a couple of picks. Emrakul The Sequel, perhaps.

Angry Grimace

Which cards from the new set do you guys think will see some eternal format play?

Spell Queller and new Thalia are a couple of picks. Emrakul The Sequel, perhaps.
Spell Queller dies to Lightning Bolt. I don't think it'd going to see crazy eternal play.

Cryptghast, Selfless soul, and the counter 1 drop spirit could see play in modern tribal lists.

Also Grim Flayer and Gnarlwood if GB delirium becomes a thing.

Hackworth

Sounds exactly like my experience, Tamiyo is very fun though if you get it on the field. Couldnt get the ultimate out though.
Yeah, the worst case scenario with her was she grabbed me two extra turns in a game where I was about to get ruined.
Best case she's a huge advantage machine.

y2dvd

Masouleum Wanderer has the best chance hands down.

My prize packs made up for my 2 average pools (value wise). Went 3-0-1 and 3-1. Notable hauls were Eldritch Evolution, Splendid Reclamation (F), Ishkanah, Westvale Abbey, and Nahiri. Pretty satisfied overall.

tried building something similar and put in chandra tamiyo and sorin to test how good she is and how consistently you can play them with none of their colours in the deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom