• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Chittering host in limited is a straight up bomb if they can't deal with it.

Got it three times and didn't drop a game when it was out.

Ended up 3-1. Lost against a dude who just had insane amounts of removal. Had an octopus come out and both times he had exile effects.

Picked up game 2 with some decent recursion and then lost fame 3 with a slow draw.

Set is fun.

Which cards from the new set do you guys think will see some eternal format play?

Spell Queller and new Thalia are a couple of picks. Emrakul The Sequel, perhaps.

Eternal Scourge could see ply in Food Chain decks. Bedlam Reveler could see play in Delver Decks. Definitely need to test that one. Discarding your hand can sometimes be a liability and getting 5-6 instants and sorceries in your yard may be tricky at times. I'm interested to see how that performs.

Gisela and Grim Flayer in my Pool, with Abzan Delirium jumping out. Got Tooth Collector, 3/4 Artifact Dudes, Traverse the Ulvenwald, Land Searching dudes, and a bunch of Delirium enablers.

Crocodile

Went to a pre-release today

Opened an aggressive GW deck. Easy 4-0. I lost only one game where I punted twice because I mis-remembered what the flip side of a card was. I should have just asked to read the back rather than assume I had remembered the spoiler perfectly at this point :(

I also opened an Emrakul in my sealed pool but I didn't play it because I like to put cards in my decks I can actually cast :p

Voror

Played 3 matches in Prerelease today. Ended up 1-2 and probably won that first one because my opponent got mana screwed both games.

Interesting experience since I'd never built a deck before. One I had probably wasn't very good. Kind of bummed I didn't get any mythics in the box or in the packs I got at the end, but oh well.

Haines

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/k86BYTX.jpg

Pre release went great opens a great pool. If anything I got to play the cards I wanted to play so that made me more than happy.

A few cards to talk about

Drag under - always felt great BC draw card
Cryptolith - I needed to splash so this thing was a god send
Exultant cultist- so good. Draw card feels so broken on it. Especially emerging
2 iron clad slayer bus choking restraints felt amazing. The amount of times I got back restraints by keeping him in my hand was great
Odric is pretty good with flying and the new 5 mana lifeline guy
Absolutely loved emerge. I got drownyard becometh and lashweed lurker. So good!!
Subjugator angel usually underperformed BC I wasn't aggressive but it's great at 6 mana

And I got tamiyo. So 2 green lands and cryptolith for her and the lashweed emerge.

Obviously could say more but that's my wall of text. Buddy opened emmy as his promo.

Oh went 4-2 and if i was a better player might have been able to do a lil better. Choking restraints on a simple creature than guy plays mirroring dragon kind of hurt lol

Got 3 prize packs and a deck box door prize

Another PR tmrw

Yeef

First event today I had a nutso pool with Ulrich, Moonwing Dragon, a fantastic curve and tons of removal. Went undefeated.

Second event I opened another Ulrich and Deploy the Gatewatch and no real removal. Ended up playing UW spirits with a few counterspells and with these:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

My opponents just weren't allowed to do anything.

y2dvd

First event today I had a nutso pool with Ulrich, Moonwing Dragon, a fantastic curve and tons of removal. Went undefeated.

Second event I opened another Ulrich and Deploy the Gatewatch and no real removal. Ended up playing UW spirits with a few counterspells and with these:

Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

My opponents just weren't allowed to do anything.

Sogardian Priest wad an absolute all star in my deck. Not having to discard and paying 1 colorless makes it leagues above the recent tappers.

Haines

Banned
Wow at that spirit synergy.

Opened my 3 sinning packs with the wifey. Don't think I pulled anything good.

I see my grim flayer from my pool is worth 10 as well cool

My Brain: Hey, your curve ends at 4 so you can fit 16 lands.

My deck: Nope, good luck with your mulls to 5 every game.

At least it's only the second round that realized this, and not the last round

Fuck distented mindbender is good in constructed. Oppoennt took my murder and nahiri.

Also Oath of Nissa is a dumb card, in the BG deck I'm running 1 ofs of Nahiri, Tamiyo, Sorin and Chandra without having anything but B and G sources in the deck.
Not sure which of them are the best atm.
Grim Flayer begs for a Nissa -2 to survive Languish and Liliana is really just not very good. A 1 of seems fine and some more in the side for specific matchups.

I'm now thinking of a BGc coco build with Nissa Lili from origins Tracker, Flayer, Advocate, Matter Reshaper,...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuck distented mindbender is good in constructed. Oppoennt took my murder and nahiri.

Also Oath of Nissa is a dumb card in the BG deck I'm running 1 ofs of Nahiri, Tamiyo, Sorin and Chandra without having anything but B and G sources in the deck.
Not sure which of them are the best atm.
Grim Flayer begs for a Nissa -2 to survive Languish and Liliana is really just not very good. A 1 of seems fine and some more in the side for specific matchups.

I'm now thinking of a BGc coco build with Nissa Lili from origins Tracker, Flayer, Advocate, Matter Reshaper,...
just cast Emrakul and don't worry about languish

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
that makes little sense even in your build you don't run any acceleration and languish is specifically an early game tool while Emrakul costs 6 at the least (with an artifact also not in your build). Distented Mindbender also just would have take the emrakul.
You don't need to accelerate. You just cast a Traverse and win on the spot when you have enough cards in your GY. *shrug*

Syckx

Man, I pulled some awesome value in my prerelease box: two foil mythics--Gisela, and Ishkanah, and a total a couple packs with three rares.

Went 4-1-1 at my prerelease with a black/green deck. I was waffling on whether to run white, red, or green with black. Red had better high end threats, but white had white/black spells available and green had good low end threats and investigate. I tested using both red and green, and I found that green was better for the deck, and it turned out well. The matches tended to last for a while, but they didn't feel boring for whatever reason. It helped that I actually faced different kinds of decks--usually I will inexplicably encounter the same color combinations over and over.

Black cards:
1x Graf Rats - Creature - 1B
1x Olivia's Dragoon - Creature - 1B
1x Rancid Rats - Creature - 1B
1x Liliana, the Last Hope - Planeswalker - 1BB
1x Haunted Dead - Creature - 3B
1x Rise from the Grave - Sorcery - 4B
1x Midnight Scavengers - Creature - 4B
1x Certain Death - Sorcery - 5B
1x Distended Mindbender - Creature - 8 (Emerge 5BB)

Green cards:
2x Prey Upon - Sorcery - G
1x Gnarlwood Dryad - Creature - G
1x Hamlet Captain - Creature - 1G
1x Obsessive Skinner - Creature - 1G
1x Primal Druid - Creature - 1G
1x Quilled Wolf - Creature - 1G
1x Foul Emissary - Creature - 2G
1x Tireless Tracker - Creature - 2G
1x Swift Spinner - Creature - 3G
1x Tangleclaw Werewolf - Creature - 2GG

Artifacts:
1x Cultist's Staff - Equipment - 2
1x Thirsting Axe - Equipment - 3

8x Swamp
8x Forest
1x Foul Orchard
1x Westvale Abbey

Highlights:
* I was able to merge Graf Rats and Midnight Scavengers multiple times. Most of the time, my opponent multiblocked to destroy it.
* Midnight Scavengers on its own was better than I thought it would be. 3/3 really is a big leap from Gravedigger's 2/2.
* Liliana was really good, for weakening a creature, returning a creature, and fixing draws. I never used her ultimate.
* Awesome move of the day: I was out of time against an opponent and was on my last five turns. I was on my last turn out of those. I used Liliana to return Midnight Scavengers, cast it to return Graft Rats, and merged the two to boost the team and attack for lethal.
* I managed to flip Westvale Abbey and win with it.
* This is my first time playing with Tireless Tracker, and wow, it really is really good.
* Certain Death's life draining saved my life.
* Swift Spinner was surprisingly unhelpful.
* I never got to use emerge with Foul Emissary.
* Emerge costs really are cheaper than you'd think. I managed to get Distended Mindbender out pretty reliably, and though I mostly just got one card discarded, I got two once. I hardcast Distended Mindbender once.
* Quilled Wolf and Tangleclaw Werewolf were the MVPs.
* The equipment was super helpful, especially with my relative lack of removal. I did mess up with Thirsting Axe a couple of times, but other times, it was great, especially with the transformed Tangleclaw Werewolf, which must be blocked.
* My opponents' Weaver of Lightnings were annoying as hell. Not just because of the pinging, but because of the 4 toughness.
* One opponent pulled an awesome move. With Weaver of Lightning out, he used Collective Defiance to hit me in the face and discard his hand, and cast a madness card off of that, resulting in my board being cleared. He wasted this on weaker creatures, though, so I won that game.
* Somehow every opponent that was running white had Gisela.
* I got my ass kicked by a guy that managed to open all the spirits. And Gisela, as mentioned.

Wichu

Got nothing good in my Sunday prerelease :(

Promo Assembled Alphas, foil Markov Dreadnight and Dark Salvation, and a couple of random crappy rares. Managed to build a pretty decent R/B deck but still ended up 3-2 with nothing good in my prize pack.

Best moment was playing against a guy that plays too seriously in casual events (also I have a sneaking suspicion he tries to cheat - one time he dropped a card into his lap while drawing his opening hand, picked it up and put it into his hand when I noticed, then mulliganed when I called him out on having 8 cards).

I attacked him with Assembled Alphas. He looked at the board for a bit, then picked up his three smallish creatures. Hesitated for a while, then put them all in front of the Alphas. I just smiled and said "trigger, trigger, trigger". Felt good.

If it had been anyone else, I would have asked them whether they really wanted to get boardwiped and take 9.

OnPoint

A top ban would totally wreck the Miracles deck. Lots of peeved off players!

Lands isn't all that expensive if it weren't for the Ports! Talk about a card that needs a reprint...
It might piss off MIracles players, but it would make almost everyone else happy.

Lands uses Tabernacle, which is quite expensive.

Best moment was playing against a guy that plays too seriously in casual events (also I have a sneaking suspicion he tries to cheat - one time he dropped a card into his lap while drawing his opening hand, picked it up and put it into his hand when I noticed, then mulliganed when I called him out on having 8 cards).

Sigh. Some people.

So, I forgot to mention my favorite part of last night:

Some guy was DQed for cheating in the first round because he added cards to his pool. Now here's the real kicker:

The cards(2 Satyr Wayfinders) he added were from Theros Block.

Many laughs were had.

It might piss off MIracles players, but it would make almost everyone else happy.

Lands uses Tabernacle, which is quite expensive.

I apologize, earlier I was referencing Modo, not paper. In MTGO, it's like $18, I think. I black core proxied it in paper.

I'm thinking of building BG Lands instead of RG Lands since it doesn't use the Ports so it would be MUCH cheaper. Then hopefully Ports sees a reprint on MTGO and it becomes an affordable deck. lol

El Topo

Some guy was DQed for cheating in the first round because he added cards to his pool. Now here's the real kicker:

Many laughs were had.

Sounds more like an honest misunderstanding, if only because it seems *that* stupid. I remember playing Extended many years ago and several rounds in people realize that the deck someone was playing (Aluren) wasn't actually legal anymore. At least that's how I remember things, it's been too many years. If it is *that* blatant, it seems more likely the person just fucked up.

Joe Molotov

Many laughs were had.

If someone dropped a Satyr Wayfinder on me in EMN sealed, I'd probably just allow it. That dude clearly wants it. And also is possibly God's Beard.

dQdh3DY.gif

f0rk

At my store there's a guy who always seems to open well in the Saturday daytime event after attending midnight. He had Brisela meld this time... think he's going to get watched closely next time.

Xis

Did terrible at my prerelease (went 1-3), but still had a good time. I thought my deck was pretty good (I ran B/W, splashed red for Nahiri the Harbinger). I had Mindwrack Demon, removal and fliers, but found out too much of my removal killed attackers and not blockers, so when someone dropped a wall I was mostly helpless.

Angry Grimace

Pool was okay but not great so I made super simple pool of dudes and removal/tricks and 2-0 so far.

Exiling a dude with Choking Restraints to get delirium is neat.

Angry Grimace

Also I melded a human and a rat and it taught me ninjutsu.

Santiako

I think they gave green way too much removal in this block. Rabid Bite, Prey Upon, Clear Shot and the elk make green have better overall removal than black, which is just insane.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
20 fucking packs. Between my pool and my prize packs I opened 20 fucking eldritch moon boosters and got exactly fuckall of value. Seriously the most valuable card was harmless offering. To make it worse right as I opened my last prize pack the guy behind me opens his first and yells "oh shit a foil nahiri" and I just about flipped a fucking table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom