• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Topo

The moment I'm reading the thread about the fellatio cafe they start to talk about what a great coffee they had. Uncanny timing.

Hi guys, work did a limited tournament where we started with 6 packs and added a pack a week for a bit. We're done that now, but I decided to expand my 40 card deck to 60 and give a FNM event a shot. Anyone have any critiques of my deck? I think I'm going to cut a vamp envoy and a kalastria healer for 2 pieces of card draw. Concerned I'll run out of gas with a curve such as this...

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/black-white-ally-life-steal-1/

What's some good black/white card draw currently in standard? Read the bones?

Cliffhaven Vampire, Drana's Emissary and Kalastria Healer are the core of this deck. Zulaport Cutthroat is also great in this sort of thing. I know Kalastria Healer is not very sexy but it really adds up, makes drawing all these small creatures in the mid/late game better and if you keep 2+ in play, you're rolling. I'd cut the Nirkana Assassins as gaining life before combat on your opponents turn is pretty rare with this deck and it's not a great attacker. Defiant Bloodlord also probably isn't worth a slot since you're only running 20 lands. I played a version of this deck before SOI released and it's fun and can steal plenty of games as long as you remember your triggers (especially once Cliffhaven Vampire hits).

Santiako

Finally starts.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212488227]Wtf they subbed in BBD after saying Yuuki was up first? I feel robbed.[/QUOTE]

Well, we followed BBD's draft, so it's better to watch him play imo.

Ashodin

shit stensia innkeeper is so good

I want to go to Regionals this weekend but I haven't practiced at all. I would show up and fail horribly.

WEGGLES

Cliffhaven Vampire, Drana's Emissary and Kalastria Healer are the core of this deck. Zulaport Cutthroat is also great in this sort of thing. I know Kalastria Healer is not very sexy but it really adds up, makes drawing all these small creatures in the mid/late game better and if you keep 2+ in play, you're rolling. I'd cut the Nirkana Assassins as gaining life before combat on your opponents turn is pretty rare with this deck and it's not a great attacker. Defiant Bloodlord also probably isn't worth a slot since you're only running 20 lands. I played a version of this deck before SOI released and it's fun and can steal plenty of games as long as you remember your triggers (especially once Cliffhaven Vampire hits).

For sure. My limited deck ended up with 2 kalastria healers and 2 cliffhavens and I won a fair number of games through "I play an ally, I gain 2 you lose 4" etc etc.

And the assassins + the vamp envoys go well together. Tap to attack which gives life which procs their death touch. (In my limited deck I had a few Holdout Settlements that I would use to tap my envoy when defending to proc deathtouch).

I'll see about tracking down a zulaport cutthroat or two, but the card shop near work doesn't have the best selection, they're more about comics :).

Ashodin

So what's the bingo board at so far? I got "can't understand accent" and "harmless offering passed in draft" (assuming it did)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Serious question: why isn't land bluffing more common? In Limited I'll often hold onto one or two lands in hand if I have basically nothing else but I've already got six lands on the battlefield and am just trying to topdeck. After all, if I draw another land I can just play it, and if I draw a spell I can just drop the land and play that. Seems like a good idea to pretend to have a trick for one turn

Ashodin

Serious question: why isn't land bluffing more common? In Limited I'll often hold onto one or two lands in hand if I have basically nothing else but I've already got six lands on the battlefield and am just trying to topdeck. After all, if I draw another land I can just play it, and if I draw a spell I can just drop the land and play that. Seems like a good idea to pretend to have a trick for one turn

Once the opponent figures it out, it's kinda MOOT, right? And high level opponents will always assume you have a land after when a trick is supposed to be played, doesn't get played.

It is extremely common the only time you don't do it is if you have draw spells to be able to still 2 spell the turn you draw and if you hit with it, or mana sinks.

I did notice that they gave Kaya "black hair" without making it an afro, which is very uncommon in mainstream media. Good to see that they specifically consulted people about things like that.

It's surprising to me how this is rare given how easy it is. Do a little due diligence, hire one consultant, create a character that'll get good press and build an enthusiastic fanbase. It's clearly working out well for them with Kaya (and Kaladesh had a similar arrangement) so we'll probably see a lot more of it.

that sounds like a complete mess. What's the argument to not having both players be responsible for triggers? I guess it could be hard to track since it's gonna happen a lot.

It really isn't an issue in practice. Under the old rules you just got these perverse circumstances where people got penalized for not reminding their opponent to Howling Mine or whatever for basically no broader benefit.

This reads like gobbly-guk to me but since I likely won't ever be in contention for Top 8 of a Pro-Tour I guess I'll just ignore this? It'll probbaly end up screwing LSV (or someone else I like) out of Top 8 though :p

Actually it specifically doesn't affect anyone who has the ability to Top 8. Basically it just means that players who can't Top 8 but can either earn an additional Pro Point or qualify for a later event will only be paired with one another.

Haines

Banned
Is this set better in sealed than draft?

Or am I dumb and stupid.

Edit. Just realized I posted this a day b4 protour. I suppose it will tell the story.

Haines

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";212497641]I don't know if that's true, but it's definitely better sealed than SOI and worse draft.[/QUOTE]

Ok yes.

I don't know why I'm not liking it in draft but it feels so...lifeless.

Where sealed gives more.cards time to shine.

A lot of good 5+ drops in this set

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
shit stensia innkeeper is so good

I want to go to Regionals this weekend but I haven't practiced at all. I would show up and fail horribly.
Regionals is at my LGS but I never play Comp events. Way to easily tilted to bother.

Joe Molotov

First pack had an Oath of Lili, so I P1P1'd a Galvanic Bombardment. Got passed 2 more Bombardments, Alchemist's Greeting, Incendiary Flow, Fiery Temper, and a Collective Defiance.

622QxQW.png

Haines

Banned
First pack had an Oath of Lili, so I P1P1'd a Galvanic Bombardment. Got passed 2 more Bombardments, Alchemist's Greeting, Incendiary Flow, Fiery Temper, and a Collective Defiance.

622QxQW.png

I p1p1 Inc flow but I hate taking red early BC so many good red removal that people fight over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom