• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermit7

Played in my first ever legacy tourney today playing D&t.

I sucked.

Went 1-3 playing Belcher (lost), elves (lost), goblins, (lost) and Maverick which was my only win.

Round 1 was belcher. Lost game 1 turn 2. Made a terrible play and played avenger rather than Revoker on Charbelcher. Game 2 lost to an empty the warrens for 14 turn 1, can't do anything about that.

Round 2 played goblins, won game 1 with Flickerwisp equipped with Jitte.
Lost game 2 when I couldn't maintain my board with sharpshooter. Game 3 was similar.

Round 3 had a long game with an active mom, Thalia was decent and I was able to lock them out. He had a huge Knight of the Reliquary but kept saccing lands and couldn't cast much. Revoker named DRS and he eventually scooped.

Round 4 was against elves. Terrible matchup for D&T. Went off turn 2. Game 2 was able to get new Thalia on the board and was able to slow him down. Wasn't enough however, and he was able to cast Craterhoof with 3 untapped creatures for lethal.

Had a good experience despite my play. Considering the difficulty and some of the synergies within legacy I was pretty happy. Just gotta get some more play in.

Matriox

omg so

on children's television show daniel tiger they have little irl segments with kids related to whatever the episode was just about

and i saw the captions on one say that "Serra" was working on some arts and crafts thing and thought "wacky. did they misspell it? do people really spell the name that way sometimes?"

then i saw that her sister is named Alara

http://www.captionfinder.com/v?id=e91852d7f6d7f25020e18a576b1bb0

Lol that's crazy. My son used to adore Daniel Tiger, but I don't think we've seen that one.

Went 1-3 playing Belcher (lost), elves (lost), goblins, (lost) and Maverick which was my only win.

I used to play DnT, and while not a bad deck by any means, it has a rough matchup with combo. You have to hope they don't go off until turn 2, since you have no viable way to stop them until then. Show and Tell being the minor exception because of Karakas.

Wulfric

Just got back from the PPTQ, went 3-1-2. Only got 13th place and just shy of prizes. :(

R1: Naya Zoo (Loss): Short and sweet, he was getting Nacatl out early and I was mana screwed.

R2: R/G Stuff (Win): Feel kinda bad about this one, it was a brew with Sarkhan Vol and Hellkite Charger. I was a bit cautious until I realized it wasn't even an actual meta deck.

R3: Thing Ascension (Draw): First time I've seen this deck, was so confused lol. Misplayed hard in game 3 and ending up drawing because of bad blocks.

R4: Burn (Win): 3 Rift bolts to the face, but 3 Rhinos to my opponent's head. We had like 40 minutes to kill afterwards. Ended up going to the burger place across the street.

R5: Abzan (Win): Chump blocked an 8/9 Tarmogoyf with BoP, swung in with Brimaz the Kitty King for the win.

R6: Jund (Lose): Misplayed spectacularly against LotV. I had him at 1 and then he discarded my Abrupt Decay and hit my only creature with Kolaghan's Command.

Overall a pretty good day. I was glad to hold my own against really tough decks. Two of the losses/draws were due to my own misplays. Here's the decklist if you wanna check it out.

hermit7

I used to play DnT, and while not a bad deck by any means, it has a rough matchup with combo. You have to hope they don't go off until turn 2, since you have no viable way to stop them until then. Show and Tell being the minor exception because of Karakas.

Yeah was kind of unfortunate drawing those matchups specifically.

I still could have played a bit better. Punting hard on revoker specifically is something that I will correct. I need a better idea of typical cards that can hurt me as well for Sanctum Prelate and such. I know miracles (1 or 6), but some of those more niche matchups are a shot in the dark for the moment.

Also knowing sideboard plans a bit better will give me better chances in later games. I need to read up and get more experience on those as well.

Wulfric

I still could have played a bit better. Punting hard on revoker specifically is something that I will correct. I need a better idea of typical cards that can hurt me as well for Sanctum Prelate and such. I know miracles (1 or 6), but some of those more niche matchups are a shot in the dark for the moment.

Also knowing sideboard plans a bit better will give me better chances in later games. I need to read up and get more experience on those as well.

Do you play the Recruiter/Sanctum Prelate Version? I finished building my deck before Conspiracy 2 came out and I've been thinking about trying those cards at SCG two weeks from now.

hermit7

Do you play the Recruiter/Sanctum Prelate Version? I finished building my deck before Conspiracy 2 came out and I've been thinking about trying those cards at SCG two weeks from now.

Yeah. 2 of each Thalia heretic Cathar, sanctum prelate, and recruiter.

No crusaders, 3 moms, 3 revoker, 2 avenger and 4 of Thalia, stoneforge and flickerwisp.

Seems decent, but it was only my first time and as such I am not sure how the deck played before.

You just need to adjust to the local meta some. Packing Pithing Needles in the SB can make all the difference in the matchup. Holy Light also deals with storm goblins, normal goblins, and TNN. Fairly good little known SB card.

Wulfric

Yeah. 2 of each Thalia heretic Cathar, sanctum prelate, and recruiter.

No crusaders, 3 moms, 3 revoker, 2 avenger and 4 of Thalia, stoneforge and flickerwisp.

Seems decent, but it was only my first time and as such I am not sure how the deck played before.

Interesting choice with only 3 MoR, but I suppose you have to make room for the new stuff somehow. Mine looks like this:

4x Flickerwisp
3x Mirran Crusader
4x Mother of Runes
3x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Serra Avenger
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

It's old school, but I like how it's played so far. Containment Priest and Rest In Peace in sideboard run great.

Watching the Mox Boarding House Modern No Banned List Tournament and so far, Hypergensis is super busted, and 12-Post is super busted.

It's funny that although powerful, No Ban Jund is really powerful in a normal Modern meta, but it's not super dominate once you move beyond that and go to like Legacy level decks.

hermit7

Interesting choice with only 3 MoR, but I suppose you have to make room for the new stuff somehow. Mine looks like this:

4x Flickerwisp
3x Mirran Crusader
4x Mother of Runes
3x Phyrexian Revoker
4x Serra Avenger
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Thalia, Guardian of Thraben

It's old school, but I like how it's played so far. Containment Priest and Rest In Peace in sideboard run great.

Yeah I may play around with it a bit. Maybe cut a flickerwisp for the 4th mom, but it is hard with the utility flickerwisp has.

The numbers seem fairly flexible for the moment and there hasn't been any real settling on proper numbers. I definitely think that prelate and even the new Thalia have a place it is just determining where. She is a house against creature oriented decks, and is very useful with the greedy mana bases. Having fetches enter tapped is just a killer.

This is an awesome card, they should reprint it

238.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The fact that Chris actually went through with grinding GPs again to try and get that last few appearances in to qualify is pretty commendable, if not likely financially prudent.

I have to say that I'm a bit concerned about the state of the format. Limited Kaladesh isn't anywhere near the A-tier design MaRo implied (it's an average design brought down to bad by how overpowered some of the Constructed bombs are in the format), and the Constructed experience doesn't seem very good so far - I'm really hoping to see some neat stuff at the PT that will slow down aggro and dumb-combo.

I don't really want to tap out and switch to playing Modern the entire season, but I'm really not liking what I saw at the last FNM and in draft.

duxstar

So my dumb deck of the day

4 x Eldritch Evolution
4 x Servant of the Conduit
4 x verdurous gearhulk
4 x Smugglers copter
4 x Filigree Familiar
4 x Sylvan Advocate
2 x Fairgrounds warden
2 x Gisela, the broken blade
1 x Bruna, The fading light
1 x Sigarda, Herons grace
1 x Cataclysmic Gearhulk
1 x Angel of Invention
1 x Cultivator of Blades
1 x Archangel Avacyn
1 x Thalia, Heretical Cathar
1 x Thalias Lancers

Filigree Familiar is so fun to sac with Eldritch Evolution, draw a card, go put Utility 5 drop into play

The notables missing are Ishkanah and Linvala. The sideboard is all spells with Fumigate, Blossoming defense, Appetite of the unnatural, Stasis Snare, Declaration in Stone and 1 Arbor Back Stomper

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
The fact that Chris actually went through with grinding GPs again to try and get that last few appearances in to qualify is pretty commendable, if not likely financially prudent.

I have to say that I'm a bit concerned about the state of the format. Limited Kaladesh isn't anywhere near the A-tier design MaRo implied (it's an average design brought down to bad by how overpowered some of the Constructed bombs are in the format), and the Constructed experience doesn't seem very good so far - I'm really hoping to see some neat stuff at the PT that will slow down aggro and dumb-combo.

I don't really want to tap out and switch to playing Modern the entire season, but I'm really not liking what I saw at the last FNM and in draft.

I tapped out of Standard the moment they announced the new rotations. Just too rich for my blood if I have cards rotating every 6 months. If I recall correctly, you don't like playing EDH, which is too bad as it's resolved every problem I ever had with Magic in the past. I really wanted to like Kaladesh, as I do think it does a lot right, but there are just too many dumb bombs in there and almost all of the design seems built to support aggro, which holds very little interest too me. Not sure if they are trying to chase the Hearthstone crowd or if this is just a natural evolution of the game, but either way it doesn't really work for me.

Wichu

Did my first chaos draft at GP London. I started out in white, but quickly switched to black/green. I managed to pick up a Sprout Swarm and a Plagued Rusalka. It was just as gross as you'd expect :p

Wichu

What did you get from the Revised pack? :p
I actually lost in the finals thanks to mana problems. Game 1 I managed to stabilise nicely without drawing Sprout Swarm, but then drew only lands while my opponent drew more threats and eventually overwhelmed me. Game 2 I got stuck on 3 mana and got run over :(

Wulfric

I understand where you're coming from for limited, but the standard meta hasn't even established yet. Usually the PT manages to work out all the kinks for a new format, doesn't it?

The shorter rotation is really what made me leave standard. With the greater print run, standard cards lose value too quickly. At least I know my modern deck won't cost less a year from now barring some Yu-Gi-Oh! Super Tin shenagians from WotC. And why bother doing that when $250 Master sets fly off the shelf?

Violet_0

Banned
I kinda want to move on to the Egyptian-inspired set already. Unless Aether Revolt brings back the rebel creature type, then I might still reconsider

Yeef

I managed to take down today's standard tournament with a Jeskai control brew. It's pretty fun to play, but I think it's weak in the control mirror. Fortunately, everyone else was playing aggro or combo, so I managed to win without dropping a game.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I understand where you're coming from for limited, but the standard meta hasn't even established yet. Usually the PT manages to work out all the kinks for a new format, doesn't it?

The shorter rotation is really what made me leave standard. With the greater print run, standard cards lose value too quickly. At least I know my modern deck won't cost less a year from now barring some Yu-Gi-Oh! Super Tin shenagians from WotC. And why bother doing that when $250 Master sets fly off the shelf?

It didn't for BFZ standard, where the breakout decks day one at the SCG tour was Jeskai Black and Abzan Blue, which was the defacto T1 the entire time.

I have no reason to believe the PT isn't going to be Copters running into Copters.

Played a fun game of Commander tonight that went on for three hours, six players.

I ran Daretti which was a lot of fun. I went with a build that played a lot of mana rocks that I made indestructible, then managed to wipe all of the lands a couple of times.

The Sliver player ended up winning though.

bigkrev

Can you explain the Yugioh Super Tin thing? I've seen these comments before and would like to understand

Wulfric

Can you explain the Yugioh Super Tin thing? I've seen these comments before and would like to understand

From the context, I imagine they released expensive tournament decks/cards at a relatively low price.

What Sigmasonic said essentially. Konami doesn't care about reprint equity or the seconday market for YuGiOh. Chase cards (akin to Tarmogoyf/FoW) are printed in a $20 set sold at Walmart/Target just 6-12 months from their initial printing. Your collection doesn't maintain value whatsoever in that game.

That's one of the reasons my LGS gave up selling YuGiOh; the singles become worthless on Konami's whim.

It didn't for BFZ standard, where the breakout decks day one at the SCG tour was Jeskai Black and Abzan Blue, which was the defacto T1 the entire time.

I have no reason to believe the PT isn't going to be Copters running into Copters.

Don't forget Green/white mega morph which won the first weekend in bfz standard. 4 weeks later it was never heard from again.

Edit: double post. Sorry.

IIRC Chris is one of those hotshot financial people and he lives somewhere outside the big coastal cities, I don't think financial prudence actually factors in much for him.

What I'm getting at is this is not fixing the problem they set out to do with Masterpieces

Chandra's already $30 instead of $50, Smuggler's Copter is a rare and as such will be dropping by a month from now, and all but four cards are under $10. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

This doesn't actually speak to the health of the format in any other way, but pre-PT tournaments are far, far, far more often a bad reflection of the metagame than not. If there's any interesting tech or unusual builds anywhere in the format, they won't show up until the PT.

Don't forget Green/white mega morph which won the first weekend in bfz standard. 4 weeks later it was never heard from again.
Megamorph never completely left the format, it was megamorph by virtue of deathmist raptor and that card continued making appearance in shells with den protector until it rotated.
Hardened scales was a deck never heard of again.

Ashodin

Chandra's already $30 instead of $50, Smuggler's Copter is a rare and as such will be dropping by a month from now, and all but four cards are under $10. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

This doesn't actually speak to the health of the format in any other way, but pre-PT tournaments are far, far, far more often a bad reflection of the metagame than not. If there's any interesting tech or unusual builds anywhere in the format, they won't show up until the PT.

PT she'll go back up, plus Dovin Baan and Saheeli Rai. Bank on it.

bigkrev

IIRC Chris is one of those hotshot financial people and he lives somewhere outside the big coastal cities, I don't think financial prudence actually factors in much for him.

He won a modern PPTQ at a newer/smaller LCS near me in July, and if he is willing to come to the endless woods and lakes of Medford, NJ, he's willing to put real effort in getting back on the tour.

What Sigmasonic said essentially. Konami doesn't care about reprint equity or the seconday market for YuGiOh. Chase cards (akin to Tarmogoyf/FoW) are printed in a $20 set sold at Walmart/Target just 6-12 months from their initial printing. Your collection doesn't maintain value whatsoever in that game.

That's one of the reasons my LGS gave up selling YuGiOh; the singles become worthless on Konami's whim.

Ah. I was doing some buylisting, and I noticed some websites were saying they were no longer buying YGO cards, and thought that was strange. It's really weird for a game that has no rotation- why would I buy packs of a new set when the deck I have is probably still good, and I can get the newer cards later for a fraction of the price?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ah. I was doing some buylisting, and I noticed some websites were saying they were no longer buying YGO cards, and thought that was strange. It's really weird for a game that has no rotation- why would I buy packs of a new set when the deck I have is probably still good, and I can get the newer cards later for a fraction of the price?

Yu-Gi-Oh's model seems busted on multiple levels, as an outsider. Like, all the major strategies appear to be ridiculously linear and parasitic, by design. The new deck is possible because new cards that explicitly reference only being played with other new cards are printed. Your Platinum MechDragon Q can only be summoned from your deck by tributing a MechDragon P and MechDragon R

Angry Grimace

Edit: double post. Sorry.

GB Rites was a PT deck at PT SOI that never did anything after it, either.

The problem is the raw power of the Copter vs. the available answers to Copter. I mean, Copter having no color requirements at all means you can play Delirium and still run Copter, but that doesn't mean there's not going to be a certain level of fatigue of every mirror involving boarding in increasingly narrow answers like Natural State if you're in a color combo that has no other answers to Copter.

Bandini

Played a fun game of Commander tonight that went on for three hours, six players.

I ran Daretti which was a lot of fun. I went with a build that played a lot of mana rocks that I made indestructible, then managed to wipe all of the lands a couple of times.

The Sliver player ended up winning though.

Cool stuff. I had a similar experience when I got to play Daretti a bit 4 player over the weekend. My board included Darksteel Forge, new Kozilek, Blightsteel Colossus, Silent Arbiter, and Unwinding Clock. Was looking real formidible. But then my wife just got infinite turns with Sage of Hours and Ezuri with 5 experience counters and counterspell backup.

What were you using for land destruction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom