• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost enticed to play these 2.
verdant%20crescendo.jpg
nissa,%20nature's%20artisan.jpg

red13th

Next week already? Isn't that early, it releases late November. Not that I'm complaining, I'm excited to see how they'll make the 4 colour generals. Plus I'm hoping for nice reprints too. Nothing says commander like MLD or stax!

Ashodin

Here's how my Blade of Artifice deck is shaping up after the Pro Tour.

It's still in testing but this is what I've come up with. Key to the City is REALLY powerful in this deck.

2iwtggw.gif

SaffronOlive has stats from the Pro Tour
* Overall conclusion: Standard is far from settled.
* Aetherworks decks are horrible against control.
* BR Madness did very well, but it might go under the radar for not making the top 8, so it's a good choice for Friday Night Magic.
* Overall, WU Flash/Midrange decks that strongly resemble Bant Company did the best, even if they didn't make the top 8.
* Someone was playing Madcap Experiment with Consulate Surveillance to get Aetherworks Marvel, with Aethertorch Renegade as a backup win condition.
* Top 5 nonlands are: Smuggler's Copter, Harnessed Lightning, Galvanic Bombardment, Negate, and Ceremonious Rejection. With lands, Aether Hub is at the top. Top 25's at site.
* Gideon is the only planeswalker to make the top 25, with Nissa being next after that.
* Chandra actually was played as much as Depala and Electrostatic Pummeler.

Is BR madness the vampire-ish deck? How is it different from BR vehicles (obv more madness cards, I assume)

It works by getting Prized Amalgam into the graveyard (without necessarily having blue mana sources) and using Scrapheap Scrounger to recur it. The only vampires in the example deck are Insolent Neonate and Voldaren Pariah; it's more of a zombie deck. Some variations are Grixis and run more blue cards.

There is a BR vampire tribal deck toward the end of the article, though.

Yeef

Next week already? Isn't that early, it releases late November. Not that I'm complaining, I'm excited to see how they'll make the 4 colour generals. Plus I'm hoping for nice reprints too. Nothing says commander like MLD or stax!
I wouldn't count November 11th as late November.

Ashodin

SaffronOlive has stats from the Pro Tour
* Overall conclusion: Standard is far from settled.
* Aetherworks decks are horrible against control.
* BR Madness did very well, but it might go under the radar for not making the top 8, so it's a good choice for Friday Night Magic.
* Overall, WU Flash/Midrange decks that strongly resemble Bant Company did the best, even if they didn't make the top 8.
* Someone was playing Madcap Experiment with Consulate Surveillance to get Aetherworks Marvel, with Aethertorch Renegade as a backup win condition.
* Top 5 nonlands are: Smuggler's Copter, Harnessed Lightning, Galvanic Bombardment, Negate, and Ceremonious Rejection. With lands, Aether Hub is at the top. Top 25's at site.
* Gideon is the only planeswalker to make the top 25, with Nissa being next after that.
* Chandra actually was played as much as Depala and Electrostatic Pummeler.

Yeah standard is a LOT better now than it was pre-rotation with Collected Company being the specter of the format.

Awesome. But... I already have three going on four Commander decks that I'm happy with...

All these control decks being viable kind of makes me want to play Standard. Crap. I did just get 4 copies of Thing in the Ice for modern... which has apparently doubled in price since then. Nice

... and Cockatrice's server is down

I agree, which is interesting because I haven't played Standard nor wanted to since Theros was new.

I was a little surprised a Mox wasn't actually in Kaladesh, actually.

I feel like the responses to that note in the thread at least show why it was gonna be tought to find a good, simple, turn 1, reusable, not too good, not too bad Mox design for the set.

Comander 2016 previews start next Monday
Given that, I'm amazed we know nothing at all about the characters involved.

We don't usually in advance, do we? I seem to recall all that being very last minute with C15.

I had to send that ask like ten times since SOI before he answered it, lol.

The thing about this standard is that there's a bunch of decks but there's nothing that really excites me right now. The control decks' top end is too lame, the midrange decks are too tempo-y, the aggro decks are too midrangey and the combo decks are too inconsistent and fragile.

I'm most comfortable in Standard with inevitability and I don't see a deck that generates that right now. I like my Whip of Ereboses and Sphinx's Revelations and Counterspells that make 5/5 dragons every turn. I want that game-ending power.

I like my Abbey deck because it's super dynamic and the games are interesting because I have to decide which gameplan is going to work each game, but even Ormendal dies in this format.

I think what you don't like GB is that the games can get grindy with no real end in sight.

Yeah, I wanna drop my whip of erebos with 8 mana up and know that the game is over in 5 turns. I don't like games where the cards on both sides are too similar in power level because in grindy games like that it's decided more by draws than deckbuilding. It's like a really boring version of limited.

y2dvd

Man why. No security footage? I hope they catch whoever it was

Why no donations? He at least wants to give people something, so a draft is all the owner ask for. Why someone would do this? I dunno. Just pricks in the world lol. Yeah, no security footage unfortunately. :\

So after some soul searching I changed the maindeck a bit and might go with this to gameday. Couple lands cut off.

and some copy pasta from y2dvd

Not sure how I feel about the Corrupted Graftstone, but I have never really played with the card. Maybe I'll try it out. Deck looks much better, though I fear aggro may still run through this.

I love Aetherworks Marvel and am sad that it folds so hard to control.
I think running a much of Dispels from the sb would be ideal.

duxstar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";220472229]Yeah, I wanna drop my whip of erebos with 8 mana up and know that the game is over in 5 turns. I don't like games where the cards on both sides are too similar in power level because in grindy games like that it's decided more by draws than deckbuilding. It's like a really boring version of limited.[/QUOTE]

How do we both hate the same standard lol , i hate decks that just wither out and die or win the game all without you controlling which happens (Aetherworks marvel). I also hate draw go control style decks, the only uncounterable spell in all of standard is a counter spell and a 7 drop control finisher.

None of these decks excite me at all and if this is the trend ill gladly skip standard for another year or so.

See, I love control, both for watching and for playing. That said, I don't think it's reasonable to assume the PT result means control will be dominant or even all that great in Kaladesh Standard. The field was just completely unprepared for control, demonstrated both by the lack of anti-control sideboard options seen and that fact that several teams brought Aetherworks decks (and if a team didn't realize how terrible it was against a well built control deck then I strongly question their prep work).

Much of whatever super heavy aggro was present got taken out by the huge number of combo and midrange decks. The fear (and actual presence) of vehicles kept down the kinds of planeswalkers that would potentially give hard control trouble (New Nissa, Lili with ult, either Chandra, etc.) with only the shirtless god of rippling muscles getting heavy play.

All that being said, vehicles aren't going anywhere and even the control v. aggro matches we saw on stream tended to look OK for control, so it seems it's either up to aggro to find the right changes to keep hard control in check or control needs to check control.

MoxManiac

Drafted this U/W controlling thing. The dream is to exchange a servo or thopter for the opponent's best thing and beat down with gearseeker serpents. I have no idea how this deck will actually perform, though.

Wondering if I should swap out freighter for a second skygate. Freighter is a delicious card but it seems more suited for aggro decks.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

EBSaF42.jpg

OnPoint

Anyone looking for Torrential Gearhulks? I got two I'd be willing to trade...

See this standard excites me more because the strategy I've been trying to make work has become more viable than before.

Oh we know, Ashodin, we know haha And I'm happy for you. I really am. But we know haha

OnPoint

I don't think it's a stretch to say you're vocally enthusiastic about the following topics:
  • Boros cards
  • Boros decks
  • Boros artifact strategies
  • Boros equipment
We've been following your quest to get one of these to work, even when they've been painfully unviable. And finally, these decks are now at the very least somewhat viable, and at the very best pretty darn good. So it comes as no surprise that you're excited about standard right now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Are you saying I should post less about it?

Don't stop! Personally, I love discussion of decks, archetypes, and cards that aren't just rehashes of whatever's popular in the meta.

My personal pet deck is my Modern Bant CoCo deck. It's not perfect, but I have a lot of fun playing and tuning it.

Are you saying I should post less about it?

I don't have an issue with it. I mean, everyone has their pet deck/colors/cards, and worst come to worse it's at least generating discussion.

I mean, I'm still trying to find a place for Tamiyo, Field Researcher in Modern. It's nothing bad, just you are excited by it(And I don't blame you)

I totally get that they can't respond quickly to requests for all the production reasons they've laid out, but it's honestly pretty dopey that they've managed to release an enemy-colors Commander set and an artifact block and not a single person in R&D independently thought of this as something that they should do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, in fairness, they live in their own world unless someone in their own playtesting group wants something or someone specifically gets Maro's attention regarding it.

I mean, in fairness, they live in their own world unless someone in their own playtesting group wants something or someone specifically gets Maro's attention regarding it.

Yes, that's the dopey thing!

Like, they actively pride themselves on being able to cover the desires of a wide number of different types of players. There's certainly a good bit of truth to that, but when I look at something like this it makes me feel like their approach is fundamentally misguided somehow.

Maybe the actual problem is that nobody in R&D can actually look at the relevant things on the internet because they might see a boob custom card design.

Game Day for me and the girl might come down to trying to valuecombo out some people with a Pummeler deck and a Colossus deck. Because Marvels and Gearhulks are pricey in this area and everyone is being super stingy on trades lately.

I might go revisit Bant, though. Maybe a superfriends deal with Jace, Gideon, Nissa5 with Tamiyo in the board. Sphinx, Avacyn, and then just pour removal into it.

Ashodin

Yeah I feel R&D are too sheltered in their ffl to come up and see what's trending in the mtg community.

Also I don't just love Boros. Orzhov is my second favorite color combo.

My thing is that I want to be good at the game. Like I want my skill at the game and my skill at deck building to intersect and produce results.

I want to master the game, basically.

everyone is being super stingy on trades lately.
Interesting thing, that. I think a lot of players are realizing that standard is pretty open right now and averse to trading away the next big deck pieces.

Game Day for me and the girl might come down to trying to valuecombo out some people with a Pummeler deck and a Colossus deck. Because Marvels and Gearhulks are pricey in this area and everyone is being super stingy on trades lately.

I might go revisit Bant, though. Maybe a superfriends deal with Jace, Gideon, Nissa5 with Tamiyo in the board. Sphinx, Avacyn, and then just pour removal into it.

Maybe I should rethink commencement of festivities in the sideboard

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I feel R&D are too sheltered in their ffl to come up and see what's trending in the mtg community.

Also I don't just love Boros. Orzhov is my second favorite color combo.

My thing is that I want to be good at the game. Like I want my skill at the game and my skill at deck building to intersect and produce results.

I want to master the game, basically.

Interesting thing, that. I think a lot of players are realizing that standard is pretty open right now and averse to trading away the next big deck pieces.

The thing is that deckbuilding skills are rarely as relevant as play skill. LSV doesn't actually build any of the decks he pilots to Top 8s. Sure, Shota can do that, but largely, these decks are built by one guy in a large team that does nothing but play.

Hero

I totally get that they can't respond quickly to requests for all the production reasons they've laid out, but it's honestly pretty dopey that they've managed to release an enemy-colors Commander set and an artifact block and not a single person in R&D independently thought of this as something that they should do.

Shit like this is completely baffling. Blue-red, the colors that should care most about artifact, doesn't get a legendary character? Not even that but they weren't aware of it? Come on.

I'm feeling repel the abominable.

Stops radiant flames, pummelercombo, colossus

it stops aetherflux reservoir as well, but with no access to white, 2 mana fog it might have to be.
Shit like this is completely baffling. Blue-red, the colors that should care most about artifact, doesn't get a legendary character? Not even that but they weren't aware of it? Come on.
they got a legendary character in Saheeli. That was the problem since she covered that for them.

kirblar

No legend because they got a PW focused on Artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom