• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also wonder if I should be running this in the SB for Gameday
sphinx%20of%20the%20final%20word.jpg

The difference is that koth gives you 2-4 mana from his minus 2 when he drops letting you cast another threat if you are mono red. Garruk lets you untap any two lands so you can ramp like crazy. Chandra is always 2 red mana.
True but I was looking at Koth's untap a mountain. I rarely want to minus Koth since his emblem ends games so quickly.
The ideal scenario for chandra is to play her +1 her and use the extra mana to put a chump blocker into play or harnessed lightning something.
Her -3 is not really protection with all these vehicles making the rounds.

Ashodin

So I just realized Nahiri is super defensive vs vehicles. Smug cop gets in for three on a 6 loyalty Nahiri, then she exiles it. Then she's safe to +2 from there. I'm feeling it.

OnPoint

I wish I played the prediction game with y'all. My big prediction of the PT was that Saheeli Rai would see her time in the sun. I turned out to be wrong by that, which is a shame. I'd say from a quick glance that most of the 'walkers were surprisingly absent, aside from Dovin, who everyone seems down on anyway.

Being wrong about that was cushioned by my preorders of Aetherworks Marvel and Torrential Gearhulk, however, so props to all y'all for calling those out early. I'm rarely steered wrong in this thread with these things.

Hero

Chandra is a great card but red is pretty shitty right now. Maybe one the next set or two comes out and she has a good pool she can be powerful.

Hero

isn't red like the most played color right now?

Well, hard to say. First few weeks most people go aggro until people (usually the pro's) figure out midrange/control shells. Finals were two control decks that had U/R. So I guess we'll see. I still think red removal is pretty meh.

Well, hard to say. First few weeks most people go aggro until people (usually the pro's) figure out midrange/control shells. Finals were two control decks that had U/R. So I guess we'll see. I still think red removal is pretty meh.

Harnessed Lightning is the best removal in the format...

Santiako

All control decks were playing red, and most non aggro decks (Aetherworks/Colossus/Emerge) were playing red as well.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";220373313]Harnessed Lightning is the best removal in the format...[/QUOTE]

I'd go so far as to say that all the good removal is red (H.Lightning, Galvanic Bombardment, Unlicensed), the only good non red one is Declaration in Stone, and it's worse because it's a sorcery.

The better question is why did she get so much hype?

I mean, because she's card advantage, ramp, and creature destruction on a single planeswalker with a viable mana cost. The evaluation that says a planeswalker like that is worth a good look isn't wrong.

So I just realized Nahiri is super defensive vs vehicles. Smug cop gets in for three on a 6 loyalty Nahiri, then she exiles it. Then she's safe to +2 from there. I'm feeling it.

IIRC one of the developers mentioned that this was part of their thought process with her.

isn't red like the most played color right now?

Yeah, I think the issue is that Chandra is at her core a red midrange card and that isn't really a deck role that's getting filled in the current environment. Red was the most played color but it was split between super-aggro decks (which aren't looking to pay 4 mana for a planeswalker) and one part of the suite in super-control decks (where Chandra's not as good contextually as other PW options in your colors.) To be good she needs a deck that'll have useful big spells for her to ramp into but enough non-reactive stuff that you don't lose much by having to play her exiled card immediately.

Santiako

Speaking of chandra, I'm running 3 in my RG Breach modern deck and she's fantastic there. Fits the combo finish (can ramp me into Primeval on turn 4) and the midrange plan B, by giving me card advantage, removal and an alternate wincon all in one.

"I want to tell you guys about Milo Yiannopoulos, who I think has some great ideas"

Dude needs to get his head straight. If he can prove that then whatever, sure

Sure, let's bring the stoner who said on Stream "Hitler had good ideas" back into the fold of Magic. That's ignoring that he still harps on Honoured Hierarch as this great card.

I get that Travis Woo is an impressionable person with thin skin, but that's also what leads to his success as a brewer. It's not like he's going around actively spreading maliciousness in the community, even when he's clearly got some wild ideas it's usually presented in the context of trying to understand something. Also, the whole hitler thing wasn't the problem. Most people recognize he was trying to figure out why people were attracted to him. The problem was that he started going on about jewish people controlling things which while presented neutrally was definitely out of line.

Travis Woo is weird, but he has personality outside of being a card shill which is rare in the community. Besides, he's just a great player.

It's always kind of bothered me which players get ostracized and which don't. You've got genuinely toxic personalities like Owen and Efro but nobody asks them to leave coverage. Hell, Owen was submitting half-blank articles to CFB not that long ago and he still gets whatever he wants. Owen is one of my favorite players, but still.

When I look at the magic content community, it's not much other than advertising and mild complaining. I'd prefer it if more people like Travis Woo who focus on positivity and creativity were allowed to contribute more. Because without people like him it's just articles about who cheated last week or how to fix the banlist in modern or what cards you should be buying. Probably why I like the stacks of booster boxes alpha investments guy on youtube so much, lots of stories about owning a store and such.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";220383209]When I look at the magic content community, it's not much other than advertising and mild complaining. I'd prefer it if more people like Travis Woo who focus on positivity and creativity were allowed to contribute more. Because without people like him it's just articles about who cheated last week or how to fix the banlist in modern or what cards you should be buying. Probably why I like the stacks of booster boxes alpha investments guy on youtube so much, lots of stories about owning a store and such.[/QUOTE]

This is why I adore SaffronOlive and everything he brings to the community (other than random price spikes because of his budget brews.)

OnPoint

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";220383209]I get that Travis Woo is an impressionable person with thin skin, but that's also what leads to his success as a brewer. It's not like he's going around actively spreading maliciousness in the community, even when he's clearly got some wild ideas it's usually presented in the context of trying to understand something. Also, the whole hitler thing wasn't the problem. Most people recognize he was trying to figure out why people were attracted to him. The problem was that he started going on about jewish people controlling things which while presented neutrally was definitely out of line.

Travis Woo is weird, but he has personality outside of being a card shill which is rare in the community. Besides, he's just a great player.

It's always kind of bothered me which players get ostracized and which don't. You've got genuinely toxic personalities like Owen and Efro but nobody asks them to leave coverage. Hell, Owen was submitting half-blank articles to CFB not that long ago and he still gets whatever he wants. Owen is one of my favorite players, but still.

When I look at the magic content community, it's not much other than advertising and mild complaining. I'd prefer it if more people like Travis Woo who focus on positivity and creativity were allowed to contribute more. Because without people like him it's just articles about who cheated last week or how to fix the banlist in modern or what cards you should be buying. Probably why I like the stacks of booster boxes alpha investments guy on youtube so much, lots of stories about owning a store and such.[/QUOTE]
I love brewers. I watch Seth better known as SaffronOlive many times a week with my girlfriend. I even liked Woo until the "maybe Hitler had a point" stuff. He's gotta prove he's past that, bottom line. He's bad for not just Magic, but everyone with thoughts like that out in the public sphere.

I'm not a huge fan of Efro or, to be honest, quite a few pros once stories start surfacing (many of their own telling). I'm sort of glad I'm not privy to more details, honestly.

I got most of the pieces for the Metallurgic Summoning deck now and have started brewing with a bit. Here's a neat synergy I might put into the sideboard
You get an insane amount of mana with the deck it so you can easily finish off an opponent with the card and the token if it's surged the X counts doubly for the summonings just surging it for 4 would make a 7/7

other cards I'm considering are

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Any predictions on when Aether Hub is going to drop? >1€ can't be an appropriate price for an uncommon from this set, can it?

I mean, it's a four-of in pretty much every standard deck, so it might be a while before supply outstrips demand.

I just checked and it's $4.50 (CAD) on Facetoface. Crazy.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
So this is what I'm thinking right now.

Not sure for what kind of meta I should prepare for but I definitely want an unconditional counter right now. Maybe I'll go down some maindeck glimmers and would also like to have some artifact destruction.

Looks like it could use a white splash for Dovin.

y2dvd

So this is what I'm thinking right now.

Not sure for what kind of meta I should prepare for but I definitely want an unconditional counter right now. Maybe I'll go down some maindeck glimmers and would also like to have some artifact destruction.

I went the lazy route and changed it to look more closely to Shota's deck. Honestly happier with the changes.

Spells (36)
4 Anticipate
3 Harnessed Lightning
1 Tireless Tracker
2 Radiant Flames
3 Cultivator's Caravan
4 Galvanic Bombardment
3 Void Shatter
3 Glimmer of Genius
4 Metallurgic Summonings
3 Nissa's Renewal
4 Part the Waterveil
2 Negate

Lands (24)
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Forest
6 Island
5 Mountain
1 Lumbering Falls
2 Wandering Fumarole
2 Botanical Sanctum
2 Spirebluff Canal

Sideboard (15)
1 Ceremonious Rejection
2 Weaver of Lightning
1 Radiant Flames
2 Negate
3 Fevered Visions
2 Summary Dismissal
2 Thing in the Ice
2 Confiscation Coup

I found the ramping too slow, but left the Cultivator's Caravan in there as it can still be a threat late game and it can tap for any mana. As you probably saw in Shota's matches, playing the attrition game will net you plenty of mana, so again I didn't find additional ramp spells like Natural Connection necessary. Plus, since I'm more heavily blue now, I needed to cut down on green mana, so now I don't have to worry about getting one early for Natural Connection. Also, Caravan is an artifact.

I like the singleton copy of Tireless Tracker and may bump it up to 2. Getting clue stones helps reach 6 artifacts faster for Metallurgic Summonings activated ability.

Still messing around with the mana base to accommodate the changes. Probably just switch out the Evolving Wilds with Aether Hubs and call it a day.

Gonna mess around with this build for awhile and see how it goes. I wanna hear how your version turns out!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love brewers. I watch Seth better known as SaffronOlive many times a week with my girlfriend. I even liked Woo until the "maybe Hitler had a point" stuff. He's gotta prove he's past that, bottom line. He's bad for not just Magic, but everyone with thoughts like that out in the public sphere.

I'm not a huge fan of Efro or, to be honest, quite a few pros once stories start surfacing (many of their own telling). I'm sort of glad I'm not privy to more details, honestly.

Honestly, Travis's thing with the Hitler thing is that Travis is just a space case pothead. I have a tough time believing he's legitimately a neo-Nazi.

I even liked Woo until the "maybe Hitler had a point" stuff. He's gotta prove he's past that, bottom line. He's bad for not just Magic, but everyone with thoughts like that out in the public sphere.

Did you watch the segment that got Woo fired? He didn't even want to talk about Hitler, the chat spurred him on and he prefaced it by saying that he's definitely not pro-nazi, he's definitely not anti-semetic and that the holocaust was a horrible reality that exterminated millions of people. He says that we were definitely right to join the war and stop the holocaust. He stops his story multiple times to explain that he's not advocating for any particular idea, he's just trying to figure out what caused everything during that time.

What he talks about is what he believed the perspective of the german people in post-WW1 germany was. He says he bought mein kampf because he wanted to see what caused WWII. Basically nothing he says in the 40-minute segment is his own opinion of jews or hitler.

He does go off on a weird tangent in the middle about how great the jewish culture is and how impressed he is by all the successful jewish people which is off his point, but ultimately nothing malicious. As for the book, he calls hitler's writing often irrational, angry, illogical and white supremacist and that he was successful not because of his own ability but because of the post-ww1 climate in germany.

I don't know why people think TWoo is some kind of Hitler sympathizer other than because he got banned for talking about mein kampf on a magic stream. He never said that hitler had "good" ideas, he said that his organizational ideas for controlling the country through propaganda were smart. Which they were.

The fact that people keep talking about TWoo like he thought hitler was a good guy or that he didn't think the holocaust happened is really frustrating because he says the opposite over and over during his story. All the things people talk about TWoo in terms of this stuff is almost completely wrong. He said he even wrote down not to talk about this stuff because people would log into his stream halfway through and completely misunderstand the point he was trying to get through.

He just thought it would be helpful to understand what makes evil people do evil things and to get that information he sought out their perspective. That's it. 100% of the hitler/WWII stuff he said on the stream was a non-issue in context. I get that a lot of it is confusing because he's also reading stream comments and going back and forth between ideas as he's rambling, but nothing about his hitler speech is too crazy.

Like people thought he said that Pearl Harbor had nothing to do with the US joining WWII, but he was replying to a comment on his stream and was trying to say that Pearl Harbor was unrelated to the point he was trying to make about the german political climate.

I went the lazy route and changed it to look more closely to Shota's deck. Honestly happier with the changes.

I found the ramping too slow, but left the Cultivator's Caravan in there as it can still be a threat late game and it can tap for any mana. As you probably saw in Shota's matches, playing the attrition game will net you plenty of mana, so again I didn't find additional ramp spells like Natural Connection necessary. Plus, since I'm more heavily blue now, I needed to cut down on green mana, so now I don't have to worry about getting one early for Natural Connection. Also, Caravan is an artifact.

I like the singleton copy of Tireless Tracker and may bump it up to 2. Getting clue stones helps reach 6 artifacts faster for Metallurgic Summonings activated ability.

Still messing around with the mana base to accommodate the changes. Probably just switch out the Evolving Wilds with Aether Hubs and call it a day.

Gonna mess around with this build for awhile and see how it goes. I wanna hear how your version turns out!
I like this idea makes it much more likely to resolve the metallurgic summonings which is quite essential. Cutting the 4 natural connection for some more interaction seems worth a try. Can even maindeck the torrential gearhulk like that.

They didn't like my mono-modular card cube lol

Gotta say that the tribal cube and peasant cube are pretty boring choices since they're already all over the place.

OnPoint

Honestly, Travis's thing with the Hitler thing is that Travis is just a space case pothead. I have a tough time believing he's legitimately a neo-Nazi.
I never said he was. But if you're a professional representing a company via live stream maybe there are topics you smartly steer away from.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";220407285]Did you watch the segment that got Woo fired? He didn't even want to talk about Hitler, the chat spurred him on and he prefaced it by saying that he's definitely not pro-nazi, he's definitely not anti-semetic and that the holocaust was a horrible reality that exterminated millions of people. He says that we were definitely right to join the war and stop the holocaust. He stops his story multiple times to explain that he's not advocating for any particular idea, he's just trying to figure out what caused everything during that time.

What he talks about is what he believed the perspective of the german people in post-WW1 germany was. He says he bought mein kampf because he wanted to see what caused WWII. Basically nothing he says in the 40-minute segment is his own opinion of jews or hitler.

He does go off on a weird tangent in the middle about how great the jewish culture is and how impressed he is by all the successful jewish people which is off his point, but ultimately nothing malicious. As for the book, he calls hitler's writing often irrational, angry, illogical and white supremacist and that he was successful not because of his own ability but because of the post-ww1 climate in germany.

I don't know why people think TWoo is some kind of Hitler sympathizer other than because he got banned for talking about mein kampf on a magic stream. He never said that hitler had "good" ideas, he said that his organizational ideas for controlling the country through propaganda were smart. Which they were.

The fact that people keep talking about TWoo like he thought hitler was a good guy or that he didn't think the holocaust happened is really frustrating because he says the opposite over and over during his story. All the things people talk about TWoo in terms of this stuff is almost completely wrong. He said he even wrote down not to talk about this stuff because people would log into his stream halfway through and completely misunderstand the point he was trying to get through.

He just thought it would be helpful to understand what makes evil people do evil things and to get that information he sought out their perspective. That's it. 100% of the hitler/WWII stuff he said on the stream was a non-issue in context. I get that a lot of it is confusing because he's also reading stream comments and going back and forth between ideas as he's rambling, but nothing about his hitler speech is too crazy.

Like people thought he said that Pearl Harbor had nothing to do with the US joining WWII, but he was replying to a comment on his stream and was trying to say that Pearl Harbor was unrelated to the point he was trying to make about the german political climate.[/QUOTE]

Wow, reading your telling of what happened makes me realize that it seems most people were just framing an opinion based on internet group think and just joining a bandwagon of hate because of what it was assumed he did.

OnPoint

Wow, reading your telling of what happened makes me realize that it seems most people were just framing an opinion based on internet group think and just joining a bandwagon of hate because of what it was assumed he did.
To be fair I didn't watch it. But I remember it being talked about at great length here when it happened and I don't recall anyone having that opinion at the time. So that's all news to me. Still, I think there's lines you should stay away from as an intelligent professional.

y2dvd

Some freakin scumbag vandalized my lgs and totally smashed the glass door. Doesn't appear they stole anything, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer lgs. The owner isn't accepting donations, but is instead wanting to do $50 Eternal Masters drafts, which is about retail anyways. Most of us are game. I hope that vandalizer gets bolted! >;(

MoxManiac

Man, the volatility of MTGO prices are infuriating sometimes. I saw that Smug Copter was down in the9 tix range and thought great, it's dropping down. I check back later today and it's back up to 12-13. Ugh.

MaRo said:
We tried to make a Mox. In fact, we spent a decent amount of time trying to make a Mox. Here's the problem—a Mox has certain ground rules (based on expectations set up by previous Moxen):

It's an artifact.
It has a converted mana cost of 0.
It produces some kind of mana.
Meeting all three criteria while also making a card that isn't going to cause developmental issues is difficult. We kept making cards and then finding ways to break them, because getting repeatable mana for a zero cost is very easy to break. To make up for the value, we were required to put severe drawbacks on the card. The end results were cards that looked horrible yet were still a little scary to print. In the end, we decided that printing a Mox most players would dislike that would still be a huge development risk just wasn't worth it, and we gave up trying to make a new Mox.

Would have made

0 Conductive Mox
Sacrifice an artifact: Get {E}{E}
{E}{E}, {T}: Add a mana of any colour to your mana pool

2 Energy or it'd be broken with Aether Hub and other 1 mana energy cards. This might still be too good, maybe it should be 3 energy.

OnPoint

Some freakin scumbag vandalized my lgs and totally smashed the glass door. Doesn't appear they stole anything, but it couldn't have happened to a nicer lgs. The owner isn't accepting donations, but is instead wanting to do $50 Eternal Masters drafts, which is about retail anyways. Most of us are game. I hope that vandalizer gets bolted! >;(
Man why. No security footage? I hope they catch whoever it was

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Energy Mox
ETB gain 1 E
Sacrifice Energy Mox if you have no energy
T, E: add 1 colorless to your mana pool

I was a little surprised a Mox wasn't actually in Kaladesh, actually. If they weren't so gung-ho on ability words being part of the text, they could have reprinted Mox Opal (metalcraft is in Kaladesh, its just not given any kind of words). I doubt it would be good.

Angry Grimace

that'd be a strictly better lotus petal. That's what makes designing a mox hard it can't be as good as mox opal nor introduce lotus petal to modern.
It's worse than Lotus Petal because you can't play it turn 1 without any energy. You can only play it turn 1 with Aether Hub. The problem is that its basically Sol Ring in any deck that incidentally produces energy.

Moxen require you to jump through hoops or they're overpowered. Just having more than 0 energy isn't enough of one because they made the decision to make energy easy to get. I mean, something like:

Mox Amethyst
Artifact
T, E: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Activate this ability only if you have 4 or more energy counters.

might be more fair, but the problem with this card is what MaRo said - its not really a Mox if there's no possible way to use it on turn 1. You'd have to add a random rider clause like "T, pay E, Sacrifice Mox Amethyst: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool to make it good."

I think there were ways to do it, e.g. make it give mana but it takes ALL of your energy to tap, so its pretty damn good early on, but rapidly becomes too punishing to use.

It's worse than Lotus Petal because you can't play it turn 1 without any energy. You can only play it turn 1 with Aether Hub, which isn't really that broken given it makes colorless mana and energy is a finite resource that has exactly 1 card that provides it without a mana investment.
Oh missed that interaction. It checks before the ETB resolves.

bigkrev

Yeah that design I made is a little confusing. Mox Opal (if it wasn't legendary) would be fine to reprint in standard as well

The only other Mox I can come up with us one with the Serra Avenger "can't play in the first 3 turns" clause

Angry Grimace

The only other Mox I can come up with us one with the Serra Avenger "can't play in the first 3 turns" clause

That's not a Mox. Moxen kind of *have* to have the ability to tap for 1 mana on your opening turn, that's what makes them Moxen.

I think if it required you to pay ALL OF YOUR ENERGY for one mana, it would be printable. It would be basically a Mox in an incidental energy deck, and outright bad in decks who incidentally get energy for Harnessed Lightning or something. Like, "T, pay E: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. You lose all energy counters."

Ashodin

0 Energy Mox
Leg Artifact
ETB, gain E.
At end of turn, sacrifice Energy Mox unless you pay E
E, T: Add one mana of any color

On its own it would only sustain itself and the onus is on you to keep feeding it

Otherwise you can use it as a one time lotus petal

This still might be broken as fuck though, you could power out shit like Kalitas on turn 2

Bandini

All these control decks being viable kind of makes me want to play Standard. Crap. I did just get 4 copies of Thing in the Ice for modern... which has apparently doubled in price since then. Nice

... and Cockatrice's server is down

Comander 2016 previews start next Monday
Given that, I'm amazed we know nothing at all about the characters involved.

And they got the message about bringing the entire Gatewatch together for everything.
quincognito asked: You said "it would be helpful though for advice on how to make the kind of story we are telling better." This is where I think focusing more on subsets of the Gatewatch would be an improvement. Jace gets great development in SOI, but EMN feels watered-down. Same in KLD where Chandra/Nissa/Liliana is interesting but then having Gideon and Jace just randomly around doesn't serve a purpose.

This note, which has been expressed a bunch, has been heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom