• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torrential Gearhulk -> Void Shatter -> Void Shatter -> Ceremonious Rejection
Then Stasis Snare

And Shota only has 13 cards left in his library. Could it happen?

that was just spectacular

winning over dovin baan emblem by killing 100% of potential win conditions in romao's deck and then running his library out

Carlos literally ran out of cards that could deal damage. Dovin Baan's ultimate means nothing if everyone goes several turns without doing anything.

I hope this means WotC is starting to narrow in on what it takes to make the good type of Standard control deck these days. What makes these matches so interesting is just how many of these cards require good strategic tactical decision-making -- what cards to take off of scrys and Anticipates, how to maximize all your conditional counter-magic, how to balance between your powerful sorcery-speed stuff and your instants. I think planeswalkers are really adding something valuable to control decks at this point.

kirblar

I hope this means WotC is starting to narrow in on what it takes to make the good type of Standard control deck these days. What makes these matches so interesting is just how many of these cards require good strategic tactical decision-making -- what cards to take off of scrys and Anticipates, how to maximize all your conditional counter-magic, how to balance between your powerful sorcery-speed stuff and your instants. I think planeswalkers are really adding something valuable to control decks at this point.
Starting with they let players see a LOT more cards during games- the scrylands led to a NOTICEABLE change in how consistently good players were having high finishes in Standard events.

This is a continuation of that philosophy, they liked what it did.

Ashodin

Biggest takeaway? Dovin Baan is really a piece of shit

Also now begins the big training montage where I put myself against the Top 8 decks in an attempt to figure out my deck's weaknesses and how to SB correctly

At my scrub pptq, I did beat RG Pummeler and I took a game from GB Delirium. But my deck shat on me when I went up against Jeskai Control.

Hero

Yup, deckbuilding is a lot more skill intensive with conditional counter-magic, which is a lesson I think they really learned with how straight and narrow catch-all cards like Thoughtseize and Murder were, where there's very little decision making that goes into deckbuilding. Brian Kibler wrote a great blog about this a few years ago. Something I believe LSV highlighted during the finals was that this control mirror was more about incremental advantages rather than Sphinx's Revelation blowout from a few years ago.

Starting with they let players see a LOT more cards during games- the scrylands led to a NOTICEABLE change in how consistently good players were having high finishes in Standard events.

Absolutely. Scry being evergreen was one of the best decisions they ever made.

Ashodin

Scry is a REALLY good mechanic. It feels very powerful and a very thoughtful addition to the games.

It's why I also like the loot on the Copter. Trading between the now and the future in terms of card advantage.

Yeah I was begging for it to go evergreen when Theros came out. It's just too good.

Also, I'm surprised nobody was playing Sphinx of the Final Word. Guess people might start now that they know control is real.

I still don't like the decks to be honest. Maybe I just miss AEtherling.

Ashodin

"Shota, any advice for People who want to play your deck at local tournaments?"
"don't! Its a pro tour deck only!"

hahahaha he's right

Looking at the decklist it's a total mash of cards intended to take down what scouting helped out with for the Pro Tour (and what Pros were on about during the week before).

It's a LOT of random stuff meant to take on random threats and generally be reactive until necessary to push through to win (as we saw with Thing flipping (LOVE that this card became relevant again) and Gearhulk SMASH)

Yeef

Dovin Baan would be a lot better if his first ability could target any permanent like Kiora 1.0 (would probably have to just shut off non-mana abilities though).

Yeah, good point. What I'm realizing as well is that this is an extension of their whole lenticular design concept -- card selection mechanics and powerful conditional counterspells are better in the hands of better players without actually being confusing or offputting to other people, which means players who want to get better have a good incentive to play with these cards and then develop the skill of how to use them better by playing.

kirblar

How did people get Chandra so wrong?

Also, is the card by any chance playable in Modern?
Because people are bad at evaluating cards in context.

A lot of us were cold on it in this thread (and on my facebook feed) but I think this is worse than even our lowered expectations.

Might be better in Modern, yeah.

If you're referring to it not seeing much play after all, then:
* Planeswalkers in general are very weak against vehicles, and Smuggler's Copter in particular. A planeswalker that can't establish permanent presence like Gideon or at least get you a guaranteed card won't be worth much against a deck with vehicles.
* It actually does work very well against control, from what people are saying.

Now that the Pro Tour has shown that vehicles aren't quite as ubiquitous, I expect people will be more willing to try out Chandra in Standard, at least in the sideboard.

I think people are trying it out in Modern, but we'll see.

Ashodin

Because people are bad at evaluating cards in context.

A lot of us were cold on it in this thread (and on my facebook feed) but I think this is worse than even our lowered expectations.

Might be better in Modern, yeah.

A lot of us were like OMG when she was revealed

but then we quickly went all No Man's Sky on it "WHAT DOES SHE DO"

Supast4r

The better question is why did she get so much hype? So many people were like "the next Jtms" when she doesn't do anything that Jace does. Jace (and Liliana of the veil) are busted planeswalkers because they control both you and your opponents hands. Chandra torch of defiance is like Chandra pyromaster but she has a flame slash ability and a usable ult. She doesn't control your opponents hands like Jace/lili do so she was never that powerful. The ramp ability will rarely be used. She was just an upgrade to pyromaster in the end imho.

Ashodin

basically Joker.gif with the text

"Post a planeswalker that has one ability that gains you life and draws a card and everyone's fine"

"Post a planeswalker with four abilities and everyone loses their minds"

I think Chandra is underrated now. I've played enough Koth and Garruk to appreciate Ramp on a walker. In the PT I had her as the flop card from Kaladesh but that's because she just isn't well positioned in it.

And seriously Dovin Baan sucks and no one can convince me otherwise not even a PT finalist.

Supast4r

I think Chandra is underrated now. I've played enough Koth and Garruk to appreciate Ramp on a walker. In the PT I had her as the flop card from Kaladesh but that's because she just isn't well positioned in it.

And seriously Dovin Baan sucks and no one can convince me otherwise not even a PT finalist.
The difference is that koth gives you 2-4 mana from his minus 2 when he drops letting you cast another threat if you are mono red. Garruk lets you untap any two lands so you can ramp like crazy. Chandra is always 2 red mana.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom