• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

So standard seems in a bad spot and certainly not because of a stupid card like spell queller that everyone and their mothers called and a lack of graveyard hate.
Beginning to think part of the reason to a return to once a year rotation was that they couldn't figure out how to make it work with only 5-6 blocks.

Beginning to think part of the reason to a return to once a year rotation was that they couldn't figure out how to make it work with only 5-6 blocks.

By all indications, it was a very sudden change for the developers and designers, not a deliberate design decision. It was almost certainly due to dropping sales numbers and player complaints. I don't see how a lack of hate cards would connect to the rotation change.

kirblar

By all indications, it was a very sudden change for the developers and designers, not a deliberate design decision. It was almost certainly due to dropping sales numbers and player complaints. I don't see how a lack of hate cards would connect to the rotation change.
The lack of hate cards was DUE to the rotation change.

They were just throwing a bunch of high powered stuff out there assuming things would be turbulent enough to last 6 months.

The lack of hate cards was DUE to the rotation change.

They were just throwing a bunch of high powered stuff out there assuming things would be turbulent enough to last 6 months.

You misunderstand, by rotation change, I mean the more recent one to make Standard rotations only happen once a year again. I don't think reactions to the lack of hate cards had any bearing on that, given the timeframe.

kirblar

You misunderstand, by rotation change, I mean the more recent one to make Standard rotations only happen once a year again. I don't think reactions to the lack of hate cards had any bearing on that, given the timeframe.
The lack of hate cards was due to the change to 6 months/3 blocks. They didn't want 1/3 of the cards getting hosed out.

Santiako

Yeah, if they printed Rest in Peace on Kaladesh, it would've rendered basically all of SOI/EMN unplayable, and that was supposed to be a full third of standard.

OnPoint

I'm not asking for Leyline of the Void or anything, but something along the lines of Scavenging Ooze would be pretty cool

Yes, a full-on hoser would suck. But that there is LITERALLY nothing is stupid. Even something that does like Relic, but instead of exiling it shuffles it back in. Fucking something should be there.

I expect Aether Revolt will have something like this:

Garbage Truck - 2
Artifact - Vehicle
Tap: Exile target card from a graveyard.
Whenever Garbage Truck attacks, name a card type, then exile all cards of that type from defending player's graveyard.
Crew 2
4/4

OnPoint

I'd even settle for something that cost 1 or 2 colorless, sacrificed, then removed all cards of one chosen type from all graveyards.

It's like they looked at SOI and how no one played GY decks and then thought you know what it needs a 2 mana 4/4, better worldly tutor, thoughtseize with surgical extraction tacked on, 6/8 for 5 and a 13/13 for 7 to 9 with protection from instants.

traveler

Not Wario
I know that was at least half tongue in cheek, but EDM was straight up done by the time they could gauge anything from SOI.

On that note, I wonder what the absolute latest they've ever ADDED a card to a set is. If R&D realized they missed something obviously over the top and needed to add a card, what's the fast possible turnaround time? I assume it's probably easier to just ban the "obviously broken" strategy, but I'm kind of curious to know if that situation has happened.

Well they have been reportedly reworking Amonkhet due to the changes.

I think Delirium wouldn't even be so bad if making it so you beat the deck didn't end up with you losing against UW flash.

traveler

Not Wario
I'm giving the GR Aetherworks list a shot in the hopes that Ish'kanah can help shore up that matchup. Having more removal, going less all in, being able to hardcast Emrakul, and putting Chandra to the best use she's been seen in in the new standard are all pluses too.

Wulfric

Yeah, if they printed Rest in Peace on Kaladesh, it would've rendered basically all of SOI/EMN unplayable, and that was supposed to be a full third of standard.

This made me giggle for some reason.

I'm not asking for Leyline of the Void or anything, but something along the lines of Scavenging Ooze would be pretty cool

Yes to the Ooze. Amonkhet can maybe have Relic of Progenitus maybe? It would be awkward though if we don't go to Alara for next fall.

Well, BFZ is already practically unplayable, so...

I Regret nothing, the fact that the set has 2 non-land cards in the top 20 played non-land Cards in Standard and it's FUCKING Gideon/Stasis Snare is a joke.

This made me giggle for some reason.

Yes to the Ooze. Amonkhet can maybe have Relic of Progenitus maybe? It would be awkward though if we don't go to Alara for next fall.
Stupid, completely out there guess: Return to Alara will be the fall block because why the hell would they make Progentinus be the GP Promo unless there was some reason.

Wulfric

Stupid, completely out there guess: Return to Alara will be the fall block because why the hell would they make Progentinus be the GP Promo unless there was some reason.

To be fair, it wouldn't be too farfetched to go to Alara next year. That's a near guarantee Ajani is getting a card for either Aether Revolt or Amonkhet block. Going to his home plane wouldn't be unreasonable, but that leaves Elspeth's storyline on hold until 2018. Theros rotated in 2015, but even next year seems to soon to go back.

My wild guess:
Aether Revolt (copters goin' crazy yo)
Amonkhet (Gatewatch faces the Egyptian God cards)
Hour of Devastation (Nicol Bolas wins)
Retreat to Alara (Gatewatch unites with the leonin and loxodon)
Alara Strikes Back (no clue about this)
Return to Theros (Dack steals Elspeth's heart)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There were three decks with six or fewer creatures just in PT Kaladesh!

Way, way, way more people play kitchen table magic than all competitive formats combined.

You mean the Kaladesh that has pretty much become Delirium, Flash and Vehicles?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I haven't played the game in months so I'm in this awkward place where I don't know what people are mad about.

bigkrev

I haven't played the game in months so I'm in this awkward place where I don't know what people are mad about.

Yeah, I've completely stopped caring about Standard, and just focus on Modern and Limited. I didn't realize G/B Delrium was still a deck people were angry about lol

Ashodin

eh I like Standard because my deck is viable now, but I've been kinda lax on going to tourneys (money pro'lems)

Friday is gonna be nuts, New 3DS for $99, my commander decks finally, Planechase Anthology (will post pics!)

So much stuff brehs

I also got this kick ass card for Coin Flip Izzet

208.jpg

Even without fixing the odds a three mana wrath INSTANT is fucking gross in EDH

OnPoint

That era had variety, at least pre-Theros.

This is a bigger problem.

Pre-Theros block standard is the golden era to me. Post Zendikar, from Scars to RTR, stopping right before Theros was legal is my favorite era of standard ever. So much variety, powerful strategies, everything had a foil. I look back quite fondly on those times.

Wulfric

Thinking about taking this deck to standard showdown. It's the weekend of Thanksgiving, so I don't think many people are showing this Saturday. Will this work okay? I think it's kind of slow. I don't own Grim Flayers or Gearhulks, so this is the best I could come up with.

This Aetherworks deck looks pretty cool too.

traveler

Not Wario
Does it make sense to buy into modern right now or should I wait for the banlist? Is there like a de facto reference for tier 1 decks in modern? I've been browsing through tourney results and there a few mainstays, but a lot of decks seem to crop up.

kirblar

Does it make sense to buy into modern right now or should I wait for the banlist? Is there like a de facto reference for tier 1 decks in modern? I've been browsing through tourney results and there a few mainstays, but a lot of decks seem to crop up.
Wait till after the next B/R update if you're going for a deck that might be affected. I think Ari or Todd just had a big article on SCG.(about the format and archetypes)

traveler

Not Wario
Thanks guys.

I thought about Affinity, but some people are speculating that Mox Opal will be banned. That seems like a reach to me- affinity is hateable and lantern isn't broken strong- but I was still going to hold off on it in case.

Might just pick up some fetches or snapcaster mages with the 10% credit back deal going on at tcgplayer today.

bigkrev

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

If you are going to buy into a deck now, Infect and Eldrazi are the safest picks. Infect is likely going to lose Become Immense, but it was already a really good Modern deck before that card was printed, and will likely continue to be a good deck after the ban as well.

Eldrazi has no ban targets, but you need to decide how to approach it quickly. The deck has 2 expensive cards- Cavern of Souls and Engineered Explosives- and is the only real deck in the format that wants either card (Fish is a tier 3 deck that wants some number of caverns), and their presence or absence in MM3 will likely cause some changes to their prices. Id be that Explosives are out (and this could rise up to $80) and Cavern is in (Could get below $20)

kirblar

Thanks guys.

I thought about Affinity, but some people are speculating that Mox Opal will be banned. That seems like a reach to me- affinity is hateable and lantern isn't broken strong- but I was still going to hold off on it in case.

Might just pick up some fetches or snapcaster mages with the 10% credit back deal going on at tcgplayer today.
KTK fetches and Snappys are definitely solid picks.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

If you are going to buy into a deck now, Infect and Eldrazi are the safest picks. Infect is likely going to lose Become Immense, but it was already a really good Modern deck before that card was printed, and will likely continue to be a good deck after the ban as well.

Eldrazi has no ban targets, but you need to decide how to approach it quickly. The deck has 2 expensive cards- Cavern of Souls and Engineered Explosives- and is the only real deck in the format that wants either card (Fish is a tier 3 deck that wants some number of caverns), and their presence or absence in MM3 will likely cause some changes to their prices. Id be that Explosives are out (and this could rise up to $80) and Cavern is in (Could get below $20)

Merfolk is not a tier 3 deck. It's Tier 1.5/2. It was tier 1 over the summer following the GP Win, but since then it's been mostly unseen thanks to Dredge being able to outrace it(And kill all it plays)

Otherwise, I agree that those are the safest decks. A third option is Burn, because that deck is never going to be hit by a ban.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'd say Ancient Stirrings is a definite ban target if Eldrazi gets out of control. Its pretty ridiculous that green gets a card like that.

OnPoint

I'd say Ancient Stirrings is a definite ban target if Eldrazi gets out of control. Its pretty ridiculous that green gets a card like that.

I think Eldrazi being "out of control" already happened and was taken care of. Banning Stirrings would also hurt Tron a lot, and Eldrazi, while good, isn't in danger of being too much right now. There are other things to worry about in the format for now (Dredge and Become Immense specifically).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I think Eldrazi being "out of control" already happened and was taken care of. Banning Stirrings would also hurt Tron a lot, and Eldrazi, while good, isn't in danger of being too much right now. There are other things to worry about in the format for now (Dredge and Become Immense specifically).

I'm just saying. Affinity is the same right now yet people still worry about Opal, which also hurts Lantern a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom