• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda random but much like some Mercenaries or other creature types that have the type itself in the name, I feel like Goblin Test Pilot should be updated as a Goblin Wizard Pilot.

74.jpg

For example, Dauthi Mercenary was printed as a Knight, then updated to Dauthi Mercenary Knight. Just saying :)

In other news, I have been playing a fair bit of Magic Duels (thanks to the person who told me about the 5pm PST rollover for quests). For whatever reason, I have been focusing on getting 100% of Magic Origins lol. At 90% now. Overall, it's fine, but it does annoy me that you can't do things on your upkeep unless there is another trigger already on the stack. Whatevs, obvs, but it bugs me. Also, I find it very hard to understand the specific stage of combat you are in RE: Blocking vs. Declaring Blockers - specifically when there are tricky timing things going on (not in a general turn).

As a heads up, games vs. human players are 60 coins instead of 30 right now and Origins boosters are 100 coins instead of 150. Just this weekend (and earlier this week) I believe.

Anyway, I am teaching a person at work how to play Magic on Monday (in prep or a casual draft next week) so after our session I am gonna heavily recommend they dip into Duels to help understand the turn cycle - I think it's a great tool for that.

That's.... some weird wording on there

I don't think I would ever play that card haha - Not even sure how you would fully make it work. Doesn't seem like a viable build-around unless you are going for some crazy flavour deck, which is totally fine :p

Point stands, though... Should be a pilot. EVEN though it has no power :)

Getting cards with never before released and possibly better art versus getting a bunch of the same stuff I could have bought before attending FNM, that's a tough choice.
Oh yeah I remember all these great valuable promos like crumbling vestige.
The past year there've been a few good promos, there was Goblin Warchief, Fiery Temper and Sylvan Scrying and none of them are worth shit we're talking cents here. Showdown packs should at least provide a couple bucks on average in value. Apart from Sylvan Scrying there's also been next to zero constructed playables, including standard there've been a select few.

Daedardus

The past year there've been a few good promos, there was Goblin Warchief, Fiery Temper and Sylvan Scrying and none of them are worth shit we're talking cents here. Showdown packs should at least provide a couple bucks on average in value. Apart from Sylvan Scrying there's also been next to zero constructed playables, including standard there've been a select few.

Then they should just introduce better FNM promos instead of the ones they've been doing the past years. I remember like in 2009/2010, at least half of the promos were nice cards to get.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

FNM promos will go up over time, like every thing they make. Something like Scrying will be worth more once Tron gets hype again.

Then they should just introduce better FNM promos instead of the ones they've been doing the past years. I remember like in 2009/2010, at least half of the promos were nice cards to get.
That's also an option but it's been 16 months since we had Path to Exile.
FNM promos will go up over time, like every thing they make. Something like Scrying will be worth more once Tron gets hype again.
In years it might be worth a couple dollars. Sylvan Scrying is the one Promo I was happy to get actually.
What I really want though is a modern bordered Lord of Atlantis that's long overdue.

When playing in a competitive tourney what is the appropriate way to do this:

-Have haunted dead in my gy
-Have prized amalgam and a land in my hand.

I want to activate haunted dead and bring it back, discarding prized + the land, before my opponents end and at their end step, bring back prized.

Do I ask them to pause before their end phase?
If they say "i pass my turn" can I say "before you end..."

I guess I dont want to get into a situation where I say "before your end" and my opponent says "i've already moved to my end"

Pretty sure your opponent can never make you skip your priority. When he has priority in the 2nd main phase and wants to go to the end step you can stop him and remain in main phase 2, after which he gets priority again in main phase 2.
Like when your opponent says move to combat, you can decide if you stop in main phase 1 or Beginning of Combat. Same with end of combat, damage step.

If your opponent is a dick just call a judge.

Here's a blog by a judge going over the combat step shortcuts
http://blogs.magicjudges.org/whatsupdocs/2016/05/26/attacking-blocking-and-shortcuts/

When playing in a competitive tourney what is the appropriate way to do this:

-Have haunted dead in my gy
-Have prized amalgam and a land in my hand.

I want to activate haunted dead and bring it back, discarding prized + the land, before my opponents end and at their end step, bring back prized.

Do I ask them to pause before their end phase?
If they say "i pass my turn" can I say "before you end..."

I guess I dont want to get into a situation where I say "before your end" and my opponent says "i've already moved to my end"

No matter where they are in their turn, when they say "pass turn" or anything similar, you say "At the end of your second main phase, priority. Activate Haunted Dead's Ability, discarding land and Prized Amalgam. Ability resolves? (yes) Enter the battlefield trigger, I get a 1/1 spirit creature token with flying. Move to end step, delayed trigger on Prized Amalgam, it enters the battlefield tapped." The only thing interrupting all this is if they had further effects/spells in their main phase or if they also had End Step effects to put on the stack.

If you state it all like that, it's pretty unimpeachable rules-wise. That's how I've been doing it.

When they say "end turn" they're implying a passing of priority on all phases between wherever you are currently and the beginning of your turn. You can ask to hold priority at any point where it would pass to you, being the end of any of their steps or phases.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225529824]That's a good way to put it, but I would phrase "move to end step" as a question since that's not actually your choice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I leave it an open ended interrogative with no inflection. Kind of the assumption they have no effects because of the earlier pass of all priority. It's a power move, more than anything; a show of strength.

Wulfric

Kinda random but much like some Mercenaries or other creature types that have the type itself in the name, I feel like Goblin Test Pilot should be updated as a Goblin Wizard Pilot.

74.jpg

*vomiting profusely*

Methinks the card could use a little more testing.

There's a discussion going on on reddit whether showdown packs should replace FNM promos.

This seemed to be the general consensus at our LGS. Our showdown event cost $3 or 100 store points (basically a soda purchase), and paid out 1 pack each to the top ten players. Although the 3-card packs are neat, they're essentialy a booster with a guaranteed foil and a second rare. Without additional prize support, it's hard to get people to play on a Saturday for a measly one booster.

FNM promos are in desperate need of improvement. Fiery Temper is fine, but Call the Bloodline and Noose Constrictor are casual fair at best. Where's Aether Hub and Blossoming Defense? Incendiary Flow or Murder would be good ones too. FNM promos don't need to be modern staples, just halfway decent uncommons would do the trick.

Personally I don't think promos will solve the problem of standard attendance. Only a fun meta will do that. THS-KTK was the last time I actually enjoyed standard, imo.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Standard sucks because development has been garbage for the last couple of years. The format entirely revolves around the Designated Horseshit Overpowered Constructed Bombs that aren't actually any fun.

Wulfric

Hey, WotC posted an interesting article about Hareruya's very Japanese GP Chiba. Looks like they had free snacks, gave free entry to students (!?), and a tatami mat rest area. What a cool way to host an event usually associated with overpriced convention center coffee and expensive downtown parking.

*gasp*, they even mention Frontier! I'm astonished they're acknowledging this format at all. There's no way Organized Play/Marketing isn't taking Frontier into consideration for the near future at this point.

Together with Big Magic, Hareruya is also introducing a new format within the Japanese community. Part of the fun of Magic is the ability to enjoy it across different formats and they've jointly created an unofficial format that's taking Japan by storm! To date, nearly a hundred stores all around Japan are running Frontier events and the influence spans Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, Sendai and even Hiroshima and Fukuoka.

“The idea of how Frontier came about is to lower the barriers of entry to other formats and create something new that everyone can enjoy. For example, many players have playsets of Khans of Tarkir fetchlands but may not be able to afford Modern cards. Also, due to Standard rotation, we wanted players to enjoy their cards for a longer period of time. This is why we conceptualized Frontier and I hope one day it can become an official format.”

bigkrev

*vomiting profusely*

Methinks the card could use a little more testing.

This seemed to be the general consensus at our LGS. Our showdown event cost $3 or 100 store points (basically a soda purchase), and paid out 1 pack each to the top ten players. Although the 3-card packs are neat, they're essentialy a booster with a guaranteed foil and a second rare. Without additional prize support, it's hard to get people to play on a Saturday for a measly one booster.

FNM promos are in desperate need of improvement. Fiery Temper is fine, but Call the Bloodline and Noose Constrictor are casual fair at best. Where's Aether Hub and Blossoming Defense? Incendiary Flow or Murder would be good ones too. FNM promos don't need to be modern staples, just halfway decent uncommons would do the trick.

Personally I don't think promos will solve the problem of standard attendance. Only a fun meta will do that. THS-KTK was the last time I actually enjoyed standard, imo.

Noose Constrictor is an improved version of a card that was considered one of the greatest creatures ever printed (Wild Mongrel). It makes sense as an FNM promo

Hey, WotC posted an interesting article about Hareruya's very Japanese GP Chiba. Looks like they had free snacks, gave free entry to students (!?), and a tatami mat rest area. What a cool way to host an event usually associated with overpriced convention center coffee and expensive downtown parking.

It's an over $100 entry fee for a CONSTRUCTED event. Seems like they took the VIP stuff most organizers do and just gave it to everyone

Wulfric

Noose Constrictor is an improved version of a card that was considered one of the greatest creatures ever printed (Wild Mongrel). It makes sense as an FNM promo

It's an over $100 entry fee for a CONSTRUCTED event. Seems like they took the VIP stuff most organizers do and just gave it to everyone

Oh, I didn't even know Wild Mongrel was a card. I'm not even kidding, I thought the spooky snek was a new thing.

Yeah, the price is rough. However, I can't imagine prices for convention center rental and staff in Japan being cheap. How much cheaper can they make the event though? SCG is charging $75 for legacy in Louisville, and Pastimes is charging $75 right now for sealed in Milwaukee.

Yeah, I leave it an open ended interrogative with no inflection. Kind of the assumption they have no effects because of the earlier pass of all priority. It's a power move, more than anything; a show of strength.

I hate playing people that make assumptions about the game state. Always rushing.

Firemind

Oh wow, Yamamoto won the GP. What a boss. HoFer in the making.

Also I just found out I have most of the cards for Shardless BUG. Only missing the goyfs, a couple of Ancestral Visions, Wastelands and a Bayou. I always want to play Hymn to Tourarch in Legacy and Shardless Agent might just be the best enabler, especially with t1 DRS. Hmmmm.... GP Legacy when?

Wulfric

Guys, how do you decide what to get signed at a GP? Chris Rahn and Steve Argyle have over 100 cards to their names. I'm torn between getting a few playsets of staples signed or spreading the love to some jank rares. I think a variety of EDH favorites in my trade binder would be cool, but a signed playset of Deathrite Shaman or Ajani Steadfast would be pretty rad.

Wulfric

Anyone going to GP Denver?

Can't make it this year, but I'd love to visit sometime. How is Denver in August? Next year's main event is standard, but I wouldn't mind going for side events and the artist alley.

It's a shame there's only two modern GPs in the US next year (Vegas and Oklahoma). Amonkhet better knock it out of the park, because it's all standard and limited on the calendar.

ajf009

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";225541670]Other than the only competitive format they're playable in dying off?[/QUOTE]

That's not a players fault though..

I'm trying to get a BW eltronzi deck working for modern, its so inconsistent though. Any advice?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
236.jpg

I remember when RTR came out and I wondered why no-one played Volatile Rig.

I still wonder.

Can't make it this year, but I'd love to visit sometime. How is Denver in August? Next year's main event is standard, but I wouldn't mind going for side events and the artist alley.

It's a shame there's only two modern GPs in the US next year (Vegas and Oklahoma). Amonkhet better knock it out of the park, because it's all standard and limited on the calendar.

Its hot in august but only for a few hours a day (2-4pm ish). Its the dry heat tho so its nice.

Didnt realize we had an august GP, thats cool.

Might go to Vegas for the modern GP, we'll see. Oklahoma is close too.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them

*gasp*, they even mention Frontier! I'm astonished they're acknowledging this format at all. There's no way Organized Play/Marketing isn't taking Frontier into consideration for the near future at this point.

GP Chiba was great.
My performance not so much. 4-2-3, with two byes. I just could not close out some matches.

dzelly

I've been playing for the past couple years now after taking an extended hiatus and this is the first time I've checked the OT. This is just ridiculous, I have no idea where to jump in lol.

Is there a thread specifically for EDH? That's the only format I've found to be fun nowadays.

Firemind

I've been playing for the past couple years now after taking an extended hiatus and this is the first time I've checked the OT. This is just ridiculous, I have no idea where to jump in lol.

Is there a thread specifically for EDH? That's the only format I've found to be fun nowadays.
Welcome. Which colours do you align with?

What confused you, exactly? It'd be helpful for when I make the next OT.

Commander discussion goes here.

dzelly

Welcome. Which colours do you align with?

Thank you!

My most competent deck is green, red, black with Prossh as commander. I love the sacrifice mechanic and what you can do with it.

I'm working on beefing up the red, green, black, white partner commander deck I bought last weekend. Running Ravos and Tana as partners in that one.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for cards that would punish life gain really well? I play with friends/family and I steam rolled my brother for months until he made an Oloro deck that I only beat about 40% of the time, and as a result, it's the only one he plays now. I want to add some things that punish life gain that don't commandeer the focus of the deck.

I found a few cards that punish life gain pretty well, but most people recommend finding ways to "hit harder" earlier, so I am open to suggestions. BTW, does anyone ever trade here on GAF?

dzelly

What confused you, exactly? It'd be helpful for when I make the next OT.

Commander discussion goes here.

There's nothing especially confusing, it's just such a dense topic with so many replies. I found it a little intimidating to start posting. Like the polar opposite of the "white paper" problem writers face.

There's nothing especially confusing, it's just such a dense topic with so many replies. I found it a little intimidating to start posting. Like the polar opposite of the "white paper" problem writers face.

I see. A lot of other places have separate topics for new card spoilers, Standard, Commander, etc. I don't think we have enough people here to do that, and I feel like separating things would restrict the natural flow of discussion too much anyway.

There's no need to keep up with the discussion, you can just pop in and ask for suggestions like you just did. As for your request, red and black have "players can't gain life" cards.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

And there are also these cards:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Note that in Commander, a lot of people will be running enchantment removal. And yes, people here are willing to trade, though this is an international board, so shipping can get complicated.

dzelly

I see. A lot of other places have separate topics for new card spoilers, Standard, Commander, etc. I don't think we have enough people here to do that, and I feel like separating things would restrict the natural flow of discussion too much anyway.

There's no need to keep up with the discussion, you can just pop in and ask for suggestions like you just did. As for your request, red and black have "players can't gain life" cards.
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

And there are also these cards:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Note that in Commander, a lot of people will be running enchantment removal. And yes, people here are willing to trade, though this is an international board, so shipping can get complicated.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have everlasting torment in my new deck, but I also have cards that prevent damage done to my creatures, so it's not ideal. The Stigma Lasher would be pretty great as well as Tainted Remedy. I also found this one that I think would work.

13924_200w.jpg

I just don't want to tailor it too much towards punishing life gain or I run the risk of fragmenting the focus of the deck. It's kind of a catch 22.

Standard sucks because development has been garbage for the last couple of years. The format entirely revolves around the Designated Horseshit Overpowered Constructed Bombs that aren't actually any fun.

The designs are all alright(Minus BFZ, but that's BFZ), but the fact that Development since BFZ has missed
  1. The Fetchable Lands and all the shit that followed involving the 4 color hell known as BFZ Standard(Despite making a mechanic that encourages this that was useless in limited and that in order to get full value you wanted to push 3+ colors, because why would you play Painful Truths for 2 when you can do Read the Bones for a better effect?)
  2. Green being an absolute shitshow in BFZ Limited, to the point where a mediocre non-green deck could still beat anything short of an excellent Green deck.
  3. Knowingly pushing the OGW Eldrazi despite knowing it could cause problems in older formats, with a large number of these Eldrazi not even seeing play in Standard( I just looked it up, none of the OGW Eldrazi are above 2% of Standard)
  4. Decided to try and push a creature heavily requested by commander players as a constructed staple, making something neither group wants.
  5. Decided to put Meld, a mechanic that honestly should have been in a large set to really make a splash into an already jammed small set( We had Transform, Escalate, Delirium, Emerge, and Madness in the set. I know Meld is tied to DFCs, but it doesn't help matters when it's fighting for all this design space.)
  6. Removed Naturalize from the format when Smuggler's Copter entered, meaning there is very little effective answers to the Copter.
  7. Even printing Smuggler's Copter as a conditional 3/3 for 2 that loots when it attacks.

What are the most played (non-land) cards in Standard right now? Copter, Inspector, Gideon AoZ, Avacyn, Selfless Spirit, Stasis Snare, Tireless Tracker,. None of these cards really do anything special, they're just pushed cards(Debatable with Inspector, but the card is a weenie with card draw).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Constructed players want Ishkanah. What are you talking about?

Also the problem was Eye not printing Eldrazi that are good in older formats. Eldrazi is great for older formats because it represents a budget option for Legacy and Vintage.

ajf009

Do you have a list? BW + Tron seems like it would be hard to get tron online.

3x Cavern of Souls
3x Caves of Koilos
1x Plains
1x Swamp
4x Urza's Mine
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Tower
4x Path to Exile
4x Eldrazi Displacer
2x Matter Reshaper
2x Reality Smasher
4x Thought-Knot Seer
3x Wasteland Strangler
2x Karn Liberated
2x Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
2x Rest in Peace
4x Chromatic Sphere
4x Chromatic Star
4x Expedition Map
3x Relic of Progenitus

I really want to keep it bw trondrazi, but not having ancient stirrings is such a pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom