• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I refuse to believe that it was consciously planned as a meme reference. The writing can be bad, but the rest of the story(and the writers previous work for Uncharted Realms) doesn't point to it being this big catastrophe. The writer wrote the Gitrog and Meren stories, I refuse to believe he just decided "Fuck it, let's make memes"

giphy.gif

Don't think I can continue discussing with you then

These things have editors. There is zero chance it was unintentional.

giphy.gif

Don't think I can continue discussing with you then

I'm willing to believe that an editor added it in, but considering the author didn't include shitty outdated Memes in Meren's story or the Gitrog Monster( You know he would have included Hypno-toad jokes if he wanted to), I don't see him adding it. Odds are likely he went with Liliana mocking him in a similar tone then editorial decided "LET'S MAKE MEMES"

Ajani beat Bolas by effectively pulling out a Deflecting Palm technique, didn't he? He just reflected Bolas' magic back at him. I'd hardly count that as a "Bolas is weak" moment.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I think it's becoming quite clear from recent Online Magic Stories About Characters You Recognize From All Your Cardboards that WotC is trying very hard to increase interest among young (12-18) players. Memes are just another way of doing that. (And coming across as an old, out of touch uncle at the same time.)

latest

In fact, we know the game is growing, but I'd love to see growth numbers among younger players. This whole change in storytelling seems aimed specifically at creating a new generation of players, not something that's meant for established older players.

OnPoint

I'm willing to believe that an editor added it in, but considering the author didn't include shitty outdated Memes in Meren's story or the Gitrog Monster( You know he would have included Hypno-toad jokes if he wanted to), I don't see him adding it. Odds are likely he went with Liliana mocking him in a similar tone then editorial decided "LET'S MAKE MEMES"
I can get behind the idea that editorial added it in after, but I'd just like to clarify that just because someone didn't do something before doesn't mean they can't/won't do something in the future. What a horribly odd line of logic to follow. He absolutely could have written it.

That said, why are you making the discussion about that? I don't care WHO put it in. Why does that matter? The fact that it was in at all and it made it to our eyes is horrible. It lessens the value of the product just by being there.

kirblar

In fact, we know the game is growing, but I'd love to see growth numbers among younger players. This whole change in storytelling seems aimed specifically at creating a new generation of players, not something that's meant for established older players.
It actually felt like them trying to expand demographics for me - like they felt they were hitting a ceiling w/ male players.

I can get behind the idea that editorial added it in after, but I'd just like to clarify that just because someone didn't do something before doesn't mean they can't/won't do something in the future. What a horribly odd line of logic to follow. He absolutely could have written it.

That said, why are you making the discussion about that? I don't care WHO put it in. Why does that matter? The fact that it was in at all and it made it to our eyes is horrible. It lessens the value of the product just by being there.
It's a bad joke, but it's not like it's the worst thing in an Uncharted Realms since BFZ. It's better then Memerakul or Ashaya, and unlike those two it's not this huge portion of the story. It's a joke that's a bit off to some people, much like a joke about Twitter in Moana has been called awful by a lot of people.

The point is, it's one bad joke in an otherwise decent Magic Story. I don't see why it's this big issue. It's cringeworthy, but it's not the worst thing since they started this whole narrative function of the stories. The story serves to help illustrate the conflict inside "Mr. Law and Order" Gideon and why he's going to be helping the rebels.

OnPoint

It's a bad joke, but it's not like it's the worst thing in an Uncharted Realms since BFZ. It's better then Memerakul or Ashaya, and unlike those two it's not this huge portion of the story. It's a joke that's a bit off to some people, much like a joke about Twitter in Moana has been called awful by a lot of people.

The point is, it's one bad joke in an otherwise decent Magic Story. I don't see why it's this big issue. It's cringeworthy, but it's not the worst thing since they started this whole narrative function of the stories. The story serves to help illustrate the conflict inside "Mr. Law and Order" Gideon and why he's going to be helping the rebels.

I do agree that it's not the worst thing we've seen from a quality standpoint. Coffee-drinking aside, the story isn't the worst. Chandra still has an awful "voice" though. However, it's a big deal to me because it's a peek into what is and isn't acceptable. Quality should be key, and something like that looks bad and may be the harbinger of more "jokes" like it. Also, I believe it's an indication of who they're targeting. As others have said, they're likely trying to grab a younger audience. Which is fine. But YA writing doesn't have to be awful.

Ashodin

Chandra is the fucking worst because ANYONE CAN WRITE HER

Jace: Where's Chandra?

Liliana: Oh sorry, I had to tell her that she couldn't make the food this time. We're tired of seeing all the hotdogs burnt.

Gideon: CHANDRA, STOP BURNING THE TREES! WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE FIREWOOD!

Liliana: She's just angry.

hahagedditbecauseshesapyroshehastoburnstuffwhenshegeitsmadiotkhtalkdhlhsetoiehnsglikehglhgjkkgn gm

Ashodin

Just wait until someone refers to Ajani as "Grumpy Cat."

Doesn't even have to be that. Just "grumpy" anywhere NEAR him will get the desired response. Any sort of cat memes and we're done.

Nyan cat, anything. It's all over, meme magic is real, it literally has "magic" in the name

OnPoint

Doesn't even have to be that. Just "grumpy" anywhere NEAR him will get the desired response. Any sort of cat memes and we're done.

Nyan cat, anything. It's all over, meme magic is real, it literally has "magic" in the name

No... no, they'd have to literally call him Grumpy Cat for it to be the meme. Him being grumpy and someone saying he's grumpy is not the equivalent of what happened here.

aidan

No... no, they'd have to literally call him Grumpy Cat for it to be the meme. Him being grumpy and someone saying he's grumpy is not the equivalent of what happened here.

Yeah. The writers don't seem nuanced enough to tiptoe around a meme. It'd be like:

Ajani hacked up a hairball. Spit trailed across the marble floor, reflecting the lit chandeliers in a way that reminded Jace of the stars that filled the sky of his homeplane, Vryn, where he had grown up, young and naive. But not anymore. Now he was more than his plane. He was powerful. He was witty. And women liked him.

The cat glared around the palace banquet hall, eyeing everyone. Ajani would no longer kill, but Jace knew that glee would light his face once battle started. And right now, he looked like he was itching for a battle.

"Cat got your tongue?" Jace said, the joke spraying from his mouthe like Ajani's hairball.

"No," said Ajani, his whiskers twitching and his tiger-like tail wagging ominously. "I just have a bad feeling about this."

"So, would you say you're a," Jace paused dramatically, glancing sideways to make sure that Chandra was in earshot, "grumpy cat?"

Ashodin

Shit I thought that was real for a sec

ahhahah powerful and witty and women liekd him

the perfect projection onto the reader about how cool you'll be playing magic

Ashodin

Now that Saskia is near finished, it's time for the companion deck:

VELA THE NINJA-CLAD

Vela the Night-Clad + Ninjas for crazy ass ninjutsu fun

1 Bojuka Bog
1 Choked Estuary
1 Command Tower
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Dimir Guildgate
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Drowned Catacomb
1 Halimar Depths
11 Island
1 Jwar Isle Refuge
1 Mortuary Mire
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Rogue's Passage
1 Sunken Hollow
8 Swamp
1 Tainted Isle
1 Temple of the False God
1 Watery Grave
1 Westvale Abbey
1 Archaeomancer
1 Bident of Thassa
1 Blade of Selves
1 Brainstorm
1 Clever Impersonator
1 Conjurer's Closet
1 Counterspell
1 Countersquall
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Deadeye Navigator
1 Deepfathom Skulker
1 Dimir Cutpurse
1 Dimir Doppelganger
1 Dimir Infiltrator
1 Dimir Signet
1 Dissipate
1 Doom Blade
1 Fathom Feeder
1 Glen Elendra Liege
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Higure, the Still Wind
1 Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
1 Inkfathom Witch
1 Invisible Stalker
1 Jace, Unraveler of Secrets
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Mask of Riddles
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
1 Mistblade Shinobi
1 Mulldrifter
1 Negate
1 Nightveil Specter
1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
1 Notion Thief
1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
1 Paradoxical Outcome
1 Peregrine Drake
1 Perplex
1 Ponder
1 Rite of Replication
1 Sakashima's Student
1 Shadowmage Infiltrator
1 Silent-Blade Oni
1 Silumgar's Command
1 Sire of Stagnation
1 Skullsnatcher
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Stolen Identity
1 Stunt Double
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Tandem Lookout
1 Thada Adel, Acquisitor
1 Thalakos Seer
1 Thassa, God of the Sea
1 Thought Vessel
1 Throat Slitter
1 Vela the Night-Clad
1 Void Shatter
1 Walker of Secret Ways
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Wrexial, the Risen Deep
Sideboard:

1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Coastal Piracy
1 Dauthi Embrace
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Dire Undercurrents
1 Equilibrium
1 Evil Twin
1 Familiar's Ruse
1 Ghastlord of Fugue
1 Memory Plunder
1 Necropolis Regent
1 Propaganda
1 Quietus Spike
1 Sakashima the Impostor

As always, sideboard is what I want to put itno the deck from purchases

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
whats the point of a sideboard in a commander deck

Now that Saskia is near finished, it's time for the companion deck:

VELA THE NINJA-CLAD

Vela the Night-Clad + Ninjas for crazy ass ninjutsu fun

As always, sideboard is what I want to put itno the deck from purchases
I forgot the name but are you playing the kicker clone spell that's a ohko with Vela?

aidan

XD They would totally publish that.

Can you write the stories from now until forever? Thanks.

He didn't win that Hugo for nothing you guys

Not going to lie, I would love it if the story went full on cheese like this. It would be awful, but it would be amazing in its awfulness.

I mean, I'll write bad MTG stories all day, every day if WotC pays me, but, damn, it's harder to write bad MTG stories than it would be to write good MTG stories.

Who cares if there's meme-talk? Magic lore takes itself way too fucking seriously as it is.

C'mon, I got a good laugh at the continued "Gideon doesn't wear shirts" joke.

Yeah, I agree that taking itself too seriously is way worse than taking it too lightly. In this case I think the problem is just that the joke bombs. The shirts thing was much better.

Back when mtg lore was about characters and grounded arcs

When was that exactly? Was it when the first three years of the game had completely incoherent stories that weren't represented at all on the cards? Or when they took control of the story and gave it to people too stupid to recognize that you put a Star Trek crew in an adventure story instead of an endless parade of horror? Or maybe during the Otaria era with the incoherent barbarian hero and the book so bad they literally had to remove it entirely from canon?

I think it's becoming quite clear from recent Online Magic Stories About Characters You Recognize From All Your Cardboards that WotC is trying very hard to increase interest among young (12-18) players.

It's not 12-18 year olds, it's 16-24 year old women (aka the stereotypical tumblr audience), a group that is seriously under-represented but has huge growth potential, and who tend to be tastemakers in a lot of pop culture contexts.

Don't understand why they keep giving us planeswalkers-drinking-coffee scenes though.

Because it's an extremely popular flavor of fanfiction.

El Topo

It's not 12-18 year olds, it's 16-24 year old women (aka the stereotypical tumblr audience), a group that is seriously under-represented but has huge growth potential, and who tend to be tastemakers in a lot of pop culture contexts.

It reminds me how comic books are chasing that audience as well now.

When was that exactly? Was it when the first three years of the game had completely incoherent stories that weren't represented at all on the cards? Or when they took control of the story and gave it to people too stupid to recognize that you put a Star Trek crew in an adventure story instead of an endless parade of horror? Or maybe during the Otaria era with the incoherent barbarian hero and the book so bad they literally had to remove it entirely from canon?

Which Otaria book had to be removed from canon or do you mean the PW books that were removed from canon. Which kinda back his point.

Also the Otaria era was the high point of magic storytelling it not only involved most of the legendaries of the sets, it went through most of the relevant areas. It had a tremendous amount of character growth and deterioration for the protagonists. Karona sucked though.

Firemind

At least they had several stages of escalation with plot twists. Current writing is basically: scenario -> escalation -> resolution, partly because of the two set block structure. I'll reiterate that the change to a two set block structure was more damaging than most of us anticipated.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Isn't it amazing that what took AG 1 week in the beta took the magic community at large months w/r/t Aetherworks Marvel.

I haven't really played much standard, so I was a little surprised to see that the most common Aetherworks deck still played is basically the same R/G deck I was posting about during beta and was playing at Kaladesh launch. The numbers are a little different but it has practically all of the same ideas.

Jesus, you guys get hung up on the dumbest things. I didn't even notice that line when reading.

Magic Story - Quiet Moments
* Weeks have passed, and Gideon is unsure of what they're really doing there. They came to help Chandra, but Gideon is uncomfortable with taking sides in this conflict. The others have told him that Tezzeret is dangerous, but they only learned his involvement after they got involved, and he's uncertain that talking to the Consulate to root him out wouldn't have been a better solution.
* Chandra remains insistent on helping the Renegades, and Gideon has a hard time supporting the Consulate given what they did to Kiran Nalaar.
* He insists on not killing the soldiers, which Liliana mocks, especially given that he wants to recruit more Renegades to form an army.
* Later, Gideon fights a tank and destroys it. Saheeli is there, turning scraps into fighting machines.
* Saheeli has learned Tezzeret's location, in the Aether Spire. It will be heavily guarded, and he has Rashmi there.
* Saheeli wants another person to help infiltrate, and Liliana volunteers.
* Pia suggests that as a distraction, they take the Aether Hub. Pia's been working on something big, and it will need that power.

I thought Gideon's introspection was interesting. Overall, it was a fine story.

I haven't really played much standard, so I was a little surprised to see that the most common Aetherworks deck still played is basically the same R/G deck I was posting about during beta and was playing at Kaladesh launch. The numbers are a little different but it has practically all of the same ideas.

It's not still played but now played, Aetherworks almost completely vanished after the PT.

Wulfric

Gideon sipped his coffee. A good commander must maintain a clear head, even in the confusion and mayhem of an engagement. Temper the need of brash action with critical evaluation of the conflict at hand. How he valued this quiet moment, a lull between the fights of recent days. He took a deep breath.

*cut scene to can of Folgers on the kitchen counter*

Man, there's something new every time you read this piece. I'm not that upset about the story, but I just kinda roll my eyes and move on. They really need some sort of style guide for the stories like they do for the art. I'm honestly not sure if they want me to take it seriously or not.

OnPoint

*cut scene to can of Folgers on the kitchen counter*

Man, there's something new every time you read this thing. I'm not that upset about the story, but I just kinda roll my eyes and move on. They really need some sort of style guide for the stories like they do for the art. I'm honestly not sure if they want me to take it seriously or not.

In all honesty, it's just not meant for us anymore.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They should just crowdsource their stories. I'm sure there's a bunch of fanfic writers who also play magic and would take a stab at writing about Chndra giving Ajani belly rubs.

The wierd part about the stories in hindsight is.. they feel sanitized. Despite Agents of Artifice being canon/Purifying Fire being partially canon, there's no hints of the actual relationships there. Even Eldritch Moon, a set that was Lovecraftian in origin, still felt samey in regards to it's structure and narrative. As Onpoint brought up, each world has an art guide to convey it, so I'm struggling to see why there's not a story guide. The best stories from the past 3 blocks have focused on this imo(One of the Zendikari stories, Gitrog Toad, and Born of Aether), while the worse just act like another Gatewatch Adventure.

When did gideon go from stalker with a temper and prejudice to calm and collected?
Probably around the time Ajani was deemed "Not relatable" during the creation of the Gatewatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom