• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gimli is mono red, he's close to the definition of battle rager.

He's into honorable behavior, big-time motivated by family and state, not interested in being a loner. Definitely plenty of white there IMO.

Who cares that it's tacked on?

I mean, WotC? Both having a single primary, recognizable characteristic race, and having a bunch of secondary ones that are distinct and can be used in different contexts are really useful to them from a design standpoint. Blue having merfolk and vedalken as two very different options is useful. If you have dwarves in the mix you can have more freedom to use leonin or kor in a context where they aren't all about equipment.

To your second point, maybe red players want something else to identify with other than war-mongering, nearly brainless goblins/orcs.

I mean, nobody gave a shit about the flame-kin. I'm not saying there's no space here but I'm not actually convinced there's a ton of people who care about it. Also there are still some underutilized options on the table -- dog-people could come back in a number of settings.

Hero

He's into honorable behavior, big-time motivated by family and state, not interested in being a loner. Definitely plenty of white there IMO.

I mean, WotC? Both having a single primary, recognizable characteristic race, and having a bunch of secondary ones that are distinct and can be used in different contexts are really useful to them from a design standpoint. Blue having merfolk and vedalken as two very different options is useful. If you have dwarves in the mix you can have more freedom to use leonin or kor in a context where they aren't all about equipment.

You don't think that will upset people if the next we have Leonin or Kor and they change them up to care about auras or cards in graveyards? I mean we cite the most recent re-visit of slivers as an overall failure so I don't see why other tribes wouldn't face the same backlash.

I mean, nobody gave a shit about the flame-kin. I'm not saying there's no space here but I'm not actually convinced there's a ton of people who care about it. Also there are still some underutilized options on the table -- dog-people could come back in a number of settings.

Yeah, nobody cared about flame-kin because Lorwyn sucked and there's nothing interesting about them artistically speaking. I don't think the answer was gremlins.

I think Kaladesh might be the first set where I actually bother going to a Prerelease (or to a LGS in general). I feel I would utterly fail at Drafting this set right now but sealed should be ok, I guess(?)

That's how boring Theros was.

Theros was awesome.

Why would being a loner be red? Battle Ragers go into combat together, they psyche each other up.
What you're describing are just tribal qualities. Like if I didn't know you were talking about Gimli I would have guessed Kamahl, mono red Kamahl.

Ashodin

Yeah so it's obvious that Vehicles took entirely the place of Equipment that it hurts. It hurts bad man.

HOWEVER. The Inventor's Goggles are actually pretty good and the new aggro-types that the set has introduced seem interesting.

I'm wondering if I can introduce a hybrid fusion equipment/vehicle deck or would it be too much going one way or another.

Anyway, I need to get the set into Cockatrice so I can brew.

godfuckingdammit

Hero

I think Kaladesh might be the first set where I actually bother going to a Prerelease (or to a LGS in general). I feel I would utterly fail at Drafting this set right now but sealed should be ok, I guess(?)

Theros was awesome.

I agree. It was the next two sets that shit the bed.

I will agree that the set Theros was awesome. I should've said Theros block overall was boring and bad because of the second and third sets.

My first brew batch

kjhlkji9q3a.png

edit: two too many lands in the ramp deck and it's combustible not incendiary gearhulk lol

Ashodin

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";217104745]My first brew batch[/QUOTE]

Man, Abbey gets a HUGE boost in this set with all the fabricate going around.

I agree. It was the next two sets that shit the bed.

It was mostly Born of the Gods that shit the bed, because Journey had a bunch of payoff cards for Theros(Constellation was the best payoff for the block that should Have been in Set 2.)

Also, Minotaurs on Theros were great, if only for the fact it gave us Pensive Minotaur's artwork.

Lucario

Got excited about Scrapheap Scrounger, so I started working on an updated zombies list. Splashed red for Tormenting Voice and Cathartic Reunion to speed things up a bit.

Then I threw Ovalchase Daredevil in there to use as discard bait for Voice/Reunion, and as a grindy-ass engine with Scrounger. This is a clunky mess, but I'm loving it. Almost considering Perpetual Timepiece to up the jank count.

Ashodin

My Otaria EDH deck is complete, first draft

pure fucking nostalgia

1 Centaur Garden
11 Forest
11 Island
1 Nantuko Monastery
1 Nomad Stadium
11 Plains
1 Treva's Ruins
1 Aboshan's Desire
1 Acorn Harvest
1 Altar of the Lost
1 Ancestral Tribute
1 Aven Warcraft
1 Battlefield Scrounger
1 Battlewise Aven
1 Call of the Herd
1 Catalyst Stone
1 Centaur Chieftain
1 Chlorophant
1 Circular Logic
1 Cleansing Meditation
1 Commander Eesha
1 Crashing Centaur
1 Crush of Wurms
1 Deep Analysis
1 Divine Reckoning
1 Far Wanderings
1 Grizzly Fate
1 Increasing Confusion
1 Increasing Devotion
1 Increasing Savagery
1 Kirtar's Desire
1 Kirtar's Wrath
1 Krosan Beast
1 Krosan Restorer
1 Lieutenant Kirtar
1 Major Teroh
1 Mirari
1 Mirari's Wake
1 Moment's Peace
1 Mystic Crusader
1 Mystic Enforcer
1 Mystic Familiar
1 Mystic Penitent
1 Mystic Visionary
1 Mystic Zealot
1 Nantuko Blightcutter
1 Nimble Mongoose
1 Nomad Decoy
1 Nut Collector
1 Otarian Juggernaut
1 Pianna, Nomad Captain
1 Quiet Speculation
1 Ray of Revelation
1 Reborn Hero
1 Roar of the Wurm
1 Runic Repetition
1 Seton's Desire
1 Seton's Scout
1 Silver Seraph
1 Spirit Flare
1 Stone-Tongue Basilisk
1 Teroh's Vanguard
1 Think Twice
1 Tracker's Instincts
1 Treva's Attendant
1 Treva's Charm
1 Treva, the Renewer
1 Vigilant Sentry
1 Wayward Angel
1 Werebear

dat Eric Peterson plains

333.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I guess describing white as "good" isn't quite right. White to me is order and civilization. Organized armies and well built cities.

Why would being a loner be red? Battle Ragers go into combat together, they psyche each other up.

Part of red's whole chaos thing is an every-man-for-himself angle. Black owns active selfishness but red is opposed to hierarchy and following orders. Regimented fighting side-by-side in battle to support a king (literally the defining quality of dwarves in Tolkien) cuts against this at least enough to dip into white.

Ashodin

Lorwyn had the wildest styles

and people hated it

People hate non-homogenization

"How can I identify with weird hobbit-like creatures"

"How can I identify with beings of fire"

"How can I identify with faeries"

Focus groups are the worst

Asking someone about non-homogenization:

"Of course I like homogenized! It's in milk, so why not!?"

Part of red's whole chaos thing is an every-man-for-himself angle. Black owns active selfishness but red is opposed to hierarchy and following orders. Regimented fighting side-by-side in battle to support a king (literally the defining quality of dwarves in Tolkien) cuts against this at least enough to dip into white.
Are goblins R/W? (Yes I read the flavour)
Red is not barred of tribes, they've always had tribes and a hierarchy within. Keldons had standing armies and clearly defined rulership. The change is just more chaotic between rulers.
I'm not denying tolkien's dwarves are RW but they are more red than Dwarves usually are nowaday.

dat Eric Peterson plains

333.jpg

My fave plains, for sure.

BTW, I know we hammered it to death, but can we just all collectively LOOK at this horrendous card art.

en_JjLRqK3SEZ.png

Like, it's not quite at that Origins level of shitty of Valor in Akros or Dragons of Tarkir's Icefall Regent.

But honestly.

No character even looks remotely interested in being on this card. Eric Deschamps is not a bad artist, either. At worst, he's a pretty average / decent Magic card artist. The campiness of the card alone is cringe-factor 5, but even as a composition, this is not good. Actively bad.

(That said, Mr. Deschamps also did the latest Sorin and that is a questionable piece. After looking through that gallery, though, I'd say his posing is very plain across the board.)

Anyway. That card really bugs me for some reason.

Are goblins R/W? (Yes I read the flavour)

The king isn't the relevant part (I agree you can have a king in red), it's the shared collective going into battle to protect and support that king's right to rule. The regimented, military part is white, which is why Boros and all these random military cards from other sets are red/white. That's definitely the bucket I see something like Tolkien dwarves falling into.

Played a few games with my HeebyGB Rites deckand it's super fun. Weaponcraft Enthusiast and Night Market lookout are both performing above my expectations(although Gnarlwood Dryad vs the lookout is a real consideration), and the high end is super strong for a deck with such a low mana curve. 12 mana sinks is awesome. The Skyship is awesome. Nissa is awesome. Gearhulk is ok. Sideboarding is funky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom