• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I put together an Aetherworks Marvel deck and it is fucking glorious
KuGsj.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aetherworks Marvel is fucking busted.

Turn 1 - Land, cast Attune with Aether (2E)
Turn 2 - Aether Hub, Servant of the Conduit (5E)
Turn 3 - Aether Hub, Aetherworks Marvel (6E), Tap Marvel, Cast Emrakul

I did this. Twice in a match.

The second time I cast Ulamog first, he Dec'd it, and I used Marvel the next turn to cast Emrakul. A ton of the blue cards that give you energy just randomly have scry on them to dig for Marvel.

Even if you miss with Marvel you almost always hit a card that gives you 3+ energy, or in the case of Puzzleknot, 7.

Violet_0

Banned
from what I can tell, white and black have the most well-rounded commons and uncommons - I think that most of their cards are good/playable for limited. Green is solid too, blue and red can be a bit of a struggle

Angry Grimace

The fact that Marvel doesn't require a sac is ridiculous.

The fact that Marvel doesn't require a sac is ridiculous.

No kidding. The first time I looked over the card I automatically read a sacrifice clause onto it because of course it would have it, right? I mean, how could that kind of effect be repeatable? Has anyone from R&D commented on why they thought this was needed/a good idea?

Only now realized I don't need to run Red for Aetherstorm, because there's a colourless card that makes artifacts cheaper, which gives me the option to run epiphany at the drownyardthe island bounce spell and crush of tentacles for some more consistency.

Supast4r

I feel like some of these cards are steals at their current prices. The gear hulks all seem super cheep to buy right now. Specifically the white/green/blue gear hulks which i pick to be very good in standard. I also think that Pia Nalaar is so underrated that it's not even funny. The card can piolet any vehicle with her token, she is castable off of Chandra, she can pump vehicles, and her token flies. At 50 cents I already bought two sets of her. The best vehicle of the set is going to be smugglers copter since the card hits hard for 2 and anything can piolet it. Shaleei Rai copying copters to piolet other copters also sounds funny.

Mono U Aetherstorm said:

Considering cutting the 3 mana artifact "rock". Mana rocks are so bad in standard right now corrupted grafstones don't do anything in this deck.
Either putting back the Endless One for a 3rd 0CMC card or the black puzzleknot that replaces itself.

Servant of the Conduit is so good. Might be the best mana dork since Sylvan Caryatid.

also, this standard has a shit ton of combo decks, it's pretty awesome.

Urgh match against obnoxious.dec Nothing but removal draw and counters. Throw in a bunch of spell quellers and you'll want to kill yourself by the time you're timing out..
I'm gonna run Grimace's list for awhile to make other people's lives hell instead.

I whiffed 6 consecutive times with Marvel. Got it turn 5 played my first emrakul turn 8 (double activated Marvel with a 2nd Marvel cast by Marvel)

Angry Grimace

Urgh match against obnoxious.dec Nothing but removal draw and counters. Throw in a bunch of spell quellers and you'll want to kill yourself by the time you're timing out..
I'm gonna run Grimace's list for awhile to make other people's lives hell instead.

I whiffed 6 consecutive times with Marvel. Got it turn 5 played my first emrakul turn 8 (double activated Marvel with a 2nd Marvel cast by Marvel)

You whiff sometimes, but the reason it works is that you either get a bomb or another guy that lets you use Marvel again.

Angry Grimace

Yeah it's scarily consistent. I had some Wx decks run fragmentize use against Aetherflux and tried Padeem as protection.

I drew a card, once.

I think the idea in those matchups is to run counterspells and/or only fire off Aetherworks when you know you will be able to use it with your current energy count.

I placed 16th today in the Modern PPTQ. My first event bigger than FNM. It was pretty fun but also a little stressful. I got a splitting headache and had to play with that.

I think the idea in those matchups is to run counterspells and/or only fire off Aetherworks when you know you will be able to use it with your current energy count.
Oh of course I was thinking of when it whiffs and you can't use it until it untaps. The interaction of casting a new one off the the tapped one legend rule making you sac one and giving 2 energy is straight dumb.

Angry Grimace

I played some guy who was trying to play a Marvel deck except it had no way to get Marvel at all. It just kinda hoped it got it. He beat me, of course, because he drew Marvel and had 6 energy on turn 4 in every game

Angry Grimace

I signed up for the Beta a long time ago. Once you get in you are always in.

Draft 3:

kjhlkj39uy2.png

Some people might tell you that four swamps, an aether hub and a Madcap Experiment won't support a double black mythic, but those people weren't there when the rest of us were living the dream.

And yes, I'm splashing two Cranes to dig to my splash card in another color. So sue me.

Hero

Does anyone think a colorless Eldrazi deck is viable after rotation? It loses mage-ring network...but seems like it still has plenty of goodies.

Angry Grimace

Does anyone think a colorless Eldrazi deck is viable after rotation? It loses mage-ring network...but seems like it still has plenty of goodies.

Aether Hub is decent to replace the painlands, but its a little questionable. They weren't great in SOI standard due to CoCo, so maybe they'll be good again even with a worse manabase?

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

Mono-U probably still has all the tools to work. Trying to go UW probably can't be done anymore. If the manabase is there (and if UW spirit people find a way to play Reflector Mage as well) then I could see that being the most popular form.

The lands I could see you running Vestige and Corrupted Crossroads to make sure you hit colors.

Ashodin

I placed 16th today in the Modern PPTQ. My first event bigger than FNM. It was pretty fun but also a little stressful. I got a splitting headache and had to play with that.

I'm sorry, it's a pretty bad card

hope your head feels better

Here's my first crack at the new standard RW Equipment deck

BLADE OF ARTIFICE

acYxNwB.gif

The sideboard as usual is wonky as fuck

However I'm looking at Dwarven Nighthawk as a replacement for something else in the deck

Because Dwarven Nighthawk is silly as fuck

alright so I've acquiesced and realized that Sigarda's Aid, without game-shattering Equips is not the best card in the deck if I want to be competitive.

So I went down one Always Watching and added three Aerial. DUDE IS INSANE

omg it's satisfying as fuck to use Nahiri's ult to grab Skysovereign. Shit is like out of a movie, out of a portal comes this huge skyship and blows the fuck out of everything around it (it has haste, so you can crew it as soon as you summon it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom