• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Madness just seems super durdley without playing with it. I'm sure I'll be surprised with how it plays, but I'm not immediately seeing the payoff. One part cynic, one part interested to see it come together.
Same, hopefully we see more enablers. The closest thing to an impressive madness interaction I've tested has been magmatic insight/tormenting voice + drownyard temple.

BTW temples are pre-ordering at 6.50 a playset right now. I'm getting at least two sets.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Madness just seems super durdley without playing with it. I'm sure I'll be surprised with how it plays, but I'm not immediately seeing the payoff. One part cynic, one part interested to see it come together.
They intentionally made it bad, probably after they tested it with Jace.

This card is mostly a limited bomb. It's basically the new Fall of the Titans.

DrArchon

I missed the haste part, but I still don't know how good it could be. I'd be scared of playing it in limited :p

I'd probably run it in limited just because it's a big hasty Dragon essentially. Figure that'll win the game faster than its ability will kill me (hopefully). Maybe pair it with a sac outlet in case things get dicey and you need it off the board ASAP.

I wouldn't say it's good. The Madness cost version is good, and the non-Madness version is basically unplayable imo. No point to run it unless you get the Madness version almost every single time.

It's a far cry from Bonfire, that's for sure.
Bonfire is a pretty tough standard to measure against, though. Twin Bolt saw fringe play for a bit, but that was an instant. I think the madness rider is enough to push it into playability, especially if we can get a few more enablers.

635937999645960330.jpeg

bought 6 myself

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I missed the haste part, but I still don't know how good it could be. I'd be scared of playing it in limited :p

As far as limited goes, If you get this out on turn 4 you probably have a good chance of winning the game, especially if you have other creatures out who won't take double damage to block. Even in the late game it will block a 4/4 and win.

I'm going to slam this P1P1

that's actually great an O ring with downside upfront, it 2 for 1 you always but worst case you can sac a mana rock to it when you don't have a token. Which brings to how great it interacts with clue tokens.

Wish it was instant speed though to search it with Sunforger

DrArchon

Weird to see sacrifice in white, but it's definitely a decent card. Nice that you can sac any permanent in case you've got a Drownyard Temple on hand.

Wish it wasn't a sorcery, but that kind of power wouldn't fly at common.

Fevered Dreams seems good (in the sorts of decks that want Howling Mine effects). You usually get to use your card first, and you deal damage to the opponents.

Hanweir Militia Captain is a fun card, and I like how it ties into Westvale Abbey.

I think Avacyn's Judgment could be good. I view it as sort of like Traverse the Ulvenwald, where even if the "front side" is weak, it still has some use, and this "front side" is more useful. I was surprised to see that red would get two essentially XR spells at rare. As for Goldknight Castigator, I was really disappointed by it at first, but maybe just being a 4/4.5 flying haste creature for 2RR is good enough. With the tokens, I'm kind of surprised we don't have a Spider Spawning callback, but maybe they're saving that for the second set. Also, that's a lot of clues.

Angelic Purge seems pretty good in Limited, especially since you can just sacrifice a Clue. Actually, I'm kind of surprised Angelic Edict wasn't reprinted.
Image.ashx

Haines

Banned
How does fevered dreams fare in limited? I could see that if you are in blue red extra cards being to your advantage because if discard/madness combos. And in 5 turns it's half there health gone.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
en_fPCM1CDouX.png

en_9BXzi51Vmy.png

I noticed that both of the humans have their mouths covered. Protection against some sort of otherworldly infection, perhaps?

Haines

Banned
Yeah angelic is sick.

Exile. And it allows you to kill other types of cards that can let someone take over a game in this set.

And strong sorcery's help activate delerium.

As far as sacrice goes, you could even do that to a clue and still get another 'when a clue is sacrificed' trigger off in those other cards as well.

Hello new oblivion strike ( first pickable)

Haines

Banned
Haha I kind of wish I was doing it purpose.

I believe my muscle memory just wins the battle. Maybe time to turn auto correct back on.lol

Ashodin

Angelic Purge {2W}
Sorcery
Common

As an additional cost to cast Angelic Purge, sacrifice a permanent.
Exile target artifact, creature, or enchantment.

"We must save you from yourselves."
Welp, goodbye ideas of new Bruna and Gisela. This confirms it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
OdCcpwz.png

(I don't trust PV at all when it comes to this, dude overreacts constantly)

Yeef

Rosewater's preview card is going to be later today. He tends to get interesting commons as spoilers (except for Nessian Courser), which interests me as a primarily-limited player.

There's another set to go, perhaps we get them in Eldrich Moon.

Yeah, they need to fill 4-5 legend slots in the second set. In terms of characters we already know about, options include Bruna and Gisela 2.0, Edgar Markov (I'll be so crabby if this guy still doesn't get a card), Thalia 2.0, Tolovar or new flip Werewolf Legend (this is 100% happening), Ludevic, Jenrik, Emrakul/Marit Lage/Ghost of Lorthos (lol).

Ashodin

Dammit I need more Jace

And it's clearly Emralage. Emrakul and Marit Lage met each other in the Blind Eternities, had a huge face off, and ol Emmy won.

Angry Grimace

Rosewater's preview card is going to be later today. He tends to get interesting commons as spoilers (except for Nessian Courser), which interests me as a primarily-limited player.

Rosewater's preview card in Oath of the Gatewatch was Thought-Knot Seer.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't wait for the sick mindgames Triskaidekaphobia will result in.

Human Soldier is straight out of the latest F2P Korean MMO fad.

I'll be disappointed if no one alters the Vampire Knight token with the manga of the same name's art.

Ashodin

Just saw this on MaRo's twitter

Results of Head-to-Head: Future Worlds Finals - Egyptian World (52%) defeats Viking World (48%) #mtghth

So Egyptian World is a go next year? Definitely Kaladesh this year, right?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just saw this on MaRo's twitter

They're usually working several years out, so I doubt we see an Egyptian world any time soon based on the results of this poll—unless it was already in the works.

Angry Grimace

I think we've probably seen most of the constructed playable cards other than the GITROG TOAD and whatever mythic they dump in the Uncharted Realms story, but I'm guessing BR Vampires is probably a deck, BW Eldrazi is probably a deck and U/W control/tempo(?) are decks.

It's interesting trying to brew up decks in a Standard where its a little less likely you can just say "lol Siege Rhino is probably the best."

These polls don't have anything to do with anything except slightly confirming what the people in R&D already think about what's popular, it's not like they're actually affecting their planning or anything.

We've known that Egypt is a popular setting for years and years.
obligatory mention of my GDS2 entry here
It's always been one of the top five options for top-down world and the obvious next choice after Greek world, but it's just a matter of timing -- you want to keep it away from Theros because it's similar thematic material and away from Innistrad because it's got to be heavily graveyard-based. The rumor about this for the Fall 2016 set is total garbage and I am confident that rumored version is not true, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see this world show up in any slot from Spring 2017 onwards -- it's a little surprising if it wasn't in the 7-year plan.

The evidence still points to Kaladesh for Fall 2016 more strongly than anything else -- the notable level of detail in its Origins appearance, the random equipment themes in BFZ and clue mechanic in SOI that would play well with an upcoming artifact block, the fact that there are only two Origins walkers we haven't seen the home plane of in a full block and Jace being the face of SOI means he won't be the face of the fall set. We also know that it's a new plane so it can't be Moar Phyrexia. It's certainly possible we're over-reading the tea leaves here and it's actually gonna be something completely different, but at very least I haven't seen any other proposal that has equivalently well-documented hints.

They're usually working several years out

Yeah, obviously stuff shifts as they actually start working on sets (SOI moved up from a later slot, for example) but under their current procedure they have block themes/planes for the next ten blocks penciled in at any given time.

Angry Grimace

It's obviously going to be Muraganda.

DINOSAURS yeahhhhhhhhhh

typed as "Lizard Beast"

ugh

I think we've probably seen most of the constructed playable cards other than the GITROG TOAD and whatever mythic they dump in the Uncharted Realms story, but I'm guessing BR Vampires is probably a deck, BW Eldrazi is probably a deck and U/W control/tempo(?) are decks.

Is green shaping up to be the also-ran this time around?

bigkrev

Egyptian World reminds me I wanted to figure out why Vengeful Pharoh, a bulk rare in its day, was now worth $3 and has been at that price for like a year now.

It's interesting trying to brew up decks in a Standard where its a little less likely you can just say "lol Siege Rhino is probably the best."

I bet there's still a CoCo deck.

Santiako

Monored Eldrazi is till going to be a thing I assume, or at least some sort of midrange deck with Chandra as curvetopper.

OnPoint

These polls don't have anything to do with anything except slightly confirming what the people in R&D already think about what's popular, it's not like they're actually affecting their planning or anything.

We've known that Egypt is a popular setting for years and years.
obligatory mention of my GDS2 entry here
It's always been one of the top five options for top-down world and the obvious next choice after Greek world, but it's just a matter of timing -- you want to keep it away from Theros because it's similar thematic material and away from Innistrad because it's got to be heavily graveyard-based. The rumor about this for the Fall 2016 set is total garbage and I am confident that rumored version is not true, but I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see this world show up in any slot from Spring 2017 onwards -- it's a little surprising if it wasn't in the 7-year plan.

The evidence still points to Kaladesh for Fall 2016 more strongly than anything else -- the notable level of detail in its Origins appearance, the random equipment themes in BFZ and clue mechanic in SOI that would play well with an upcoming artifact block, the fact that there are only two Origins walkers we haven't seen the home plane of in a full block and Jace being the face of SOI means he won't be the face of the fall set. We also know that it's a new plane so it can't be Moar Phyrexia. It's certainly possible we're over-reading the tea leaves here and it's actually gonna be something completely different, but at very least I haven't seen any other proposal that has equivalently well-documented hints.

Yeah, obviously stuff shifts as they actually start working on sets (SOI moved up from a later slot, for example) but under their current procedure they have block themes/planes for the next ten blocks penciled in at any given time.

Standard will be BFZ - SOI - Fall16 until Spring17, right?

Angry Grimace

Is green shaping up to be the also-ran this time around?

Collected Company, Den Protector and Deathmist Raptor still legal, so I doubt it, I just don't know exactly what form that would take on. It doesn't look like that kind of deck gains a tremendous amount from this set so far. I am skeptical that you can reliably Collected Company into Reflector Mage anymore.

I sometimes wonder if blizzard would just reprint a set card for card to have some more time for development of a set.

I'd like to think Blizzard would do a better job with MTGO :lol

Ashodin

Yeah Collected Company as a whole is losing a fuckton because of fetchlands dropping the colors down to realistically reliable 2 color paradigms this time around.

I'm just going to convert my CoCo Allies deck into R/W Equipment (I need to see the full SOI spoiler!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom