• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Welp, goodbye ideas of new Bruna and Gisela. This confirms it.

No new Gisela, perhaps (The new mono-red Angel basically is an inverse Gisela, not sure what to make of that), but isn't' the 'new' rumored Bruna art not associated with a card yet? Or did I miss a card reveal?

Either way, If Avacyn's getting blown up as part of SOI's lore, and Nahiri's getting 'revealed' as the mastermind, I can't imagine the other two will play that much of a role directly, unless the fight against Nahiri continues past Avacyn's death, and Sorin/Jace/Tamiyo's team-up.

Depends on Emrakul's involvement, I guess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah Collected Company as a whole is losing a fuckton because of fetchlands dropping the colors down to realistically reliable 2 color paradigms this time around.

I'm just going to convert my CoCo Allies deck into R/W Equipment (I need to see the full SOI spoiler!).

Your deck needs to be like ~30 creatures to average hitting 2 guys and there's a lot of weird nonbos like a Duskwatch Recruiter and Collected Company because you can probably never actually transform Duskwatch Recruiter in a Collected Company deck but they require an extremely similar deck construction.

Yeef

I think we've probably seen most of the constructed playable cards
There's usually a few constructed playables in the spoiler dump at the end. I remember Seeker of the Way and Become Immense were both in the Khans spoiler dump. Grasp of Darkness was in the Oath spoiler dump and will probably see play now that 4-color goodstuff won't be viable anymore.

Ashodin

CeLWqquUMAARDEq.png:large

There it is, MaRo's card.

Pretty decent. Flash in can make it a neat combat trick. RG Wolves going to be a thing

ironmang

Yeah Collected Company as a whole is losing a fuckton because of fetchlands dropping the colors down to realistically reliable 2 color paradigms this time around.

I'm just going to convert my CoCo Allies deck into R/W Equipment (I need to see the full SOI spoiler!).

I think CoCo decks are fine post rotation. Most of the creatures you want to have in the deck like Bygone Bishop, Sylvan Advocate, and Reflector Mage can easily be cast with the post rotation lands. Not a whole lot of double casting costs of different colors running around.

Ashodin

I think CoCo decks are fine post rotation. Most of the creatures you want to have in the deck like Bygone Bishop, Sylvan Advocate, and Reflector Mage can easily be cast with the post rotation lands. Not a whole lot of double casting costs of different colors running around.

Yeah Ally colors will be easier than others, for sure.

I'm thinking Drana fits specifically into the RB Vampires deck now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
My guess was something like "the first time a Werewolf transforms each turn put a 2/2 wolf into play" but that's probably busted and this is cool

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CeLWqquUMAARDEq.png:large

There it is, MaRo's card.

Pretty decent. Flash in can make it a neat combat trick. RG Wolves going to be a thing

Sure, its a decent archetype in limited

I'm not entirely sure an anthem like this is playable in constructed. I mean, you pretty much want all of your dudes to be Wolves for this to be playable and there are 0 playable wolves that aren't in SOI.

So you've got:

Duskwatch Recruiter
Arlinn Kord
Pack Guardian
Silverfur Partisan

and several transforming critters, but there's no reliable way to actually transform any of these dudes other than just not casting anything when you otherwise could.

Ashodin

Tribal theme in full effect ya'll

You don't know about the DEE EMM GEE

WELL LET ME LAY IT DOWN FOR YOU NA-HEER-EE

See Sorin and me comin' to getch ya'll
Sorin and me comin' to getch ya'll

Don't play none of them werewolves we got a big wall
And them Angels of yours like Avacyn be takin' a big fall

CoCo be runnin' all over with them new hu-manz
And the Red-White Equipment is on fire with them new fanz

Don't be trippin' because the madness is kickin'
Emrakul is here, them cluestones Jace be stickin'

In that Tamiyo's Journal you know what it do
Blue's Clue-ing into what them cryptoliths be up to

But we already know what be going down at all

See, Sorin and me, Sorin and me

SORIN AND ME COMIN' TO GETCH' YA'LL

Angry Grimace

Obviously it has Flash so that you can pass your turn without casting any spells.

I just feel like the entire werewolf transforming mechanic seems like it fits badly with a constructed deck unless the creature is OP to begin with like Huntmaster of the Fells.

Standard will be BFZ - SOI - Fall16 until Spring17, right?

Yep. The theme of Fall 2016 will be hinted at in BFZ and SOI, the theme of Spring 2017 will be hinted at in SOI and Fall 2016, etc.

Collected Company, Den Protector and Deathmist Raptor still legal, so I doubt it, I just don't know exactly what form that would take on.

Heh, sorry, I meant in SOI proper, I know green is still hella good in Standard overall.

Thanks. Quite interesting, but it looks like it wont be for a few years. Maybe the key is decoupling MTG's metagame from the price market altogether. Just let players earn free stuff slowly in exchange for not being able to redeem full sets. You can still have a virtual market, just not the price hikes.

Yeah, redemption was basically a hedge when they originally released MODO, a way to convince people it wasn't unreasonable to spend real money on digital cards. Now, however, we live in 2016 and digital Magic cards are a dramatically more reasonable expenditure than many things people spend money on online, lol. One of the big advantages of a platform reset would be the ability to drop redemption completely and move to a friendlier purchase model as a result.

Angry Grimace

Redemption was something you needed before people started blowing dumb amounts of money on Clash of Clans and other DLC based grinds.

RoboRosewater going hella legit:

CeLJ4DJWAAEIXNe.jpg

Redemption was something you needed before people started blowing dumb amounts of money on Clash of Clans and other DLC based grinds.

Right, it's a 2001 idea. I think people would be inclined to spend significantly more total money on digital Magic if they could get rid of that retro connection to paper and thereby switch to a better digital pricing model.

JulianImp

That neural network tends to produce many decent cards, but I like the random brainfarts and "almost there" designs that come from the other two networks more.

RoboRosewater going hella legit:

CeLJ4DJWAAEIXNe.jpg

What the hell, it even hits flavour fairly closely.

charlequin said:
Right, it's a 2001 idea. I think people would be inclined to spend significantly more total money on digital Magic if they could get rid of that retro connection to paper and thereby switch to a better digital pricing model.

And if, you know, the client wasn't trash. It may not look like it's from the mid 90s anymore, but it's still rather unfortunate.

ultron87

If they could just take the Duels F2P model and add in the ability to spend earned currency on Phantom Limited like Hearthstone it would be really great from the consumer end. But that probably wouldn't make them the amounts they want, because Duels right now is "spend ~100 bucks -> get every card in the set" (because you can't open more than a playset of cards). And that looses the mass amounts of earnings possible from booster packs without guaranteed contents.

bigkrev

They need to have a thing where buying a pack of cards IRL gets you a code for something in the game. Pokemon does this, and it would allow them to raise the MSRP of boosters, something that they have probably wanted to do for a long time.

Replace the land with a foil (MM style), and include a digital booster, and you can raise MSRP to 4.49-4.69, and super incentivize all your paper players to the new digital game.

ironmang

They need to have a thing where buying a pack of cards IRL gets you a code for something in the game. Pokemon does this, and it would allow them to raise the MSRP of boosters, something that they have probably wanted to do for a long time.

Replace the land with a foil (MM style), and include a digital booster, and you can raise MSRP to 4.49-4.69, and super incentivize all your paper players to the new digital game.

That would be amazing but would never happen. I'd draft so much online if this happened though lol.

Yeef

I don't think getting wastes is urgent. They're sure to reprint them in Commander decks and other supplemental products. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shadows Over Innistrad deckbuild's Toolkit came with a bunch and the toolkits going forward did as well.

kirblar

I don't think getting wastes is urgent. They're sure to reprint them in Commander decks and other supplemental products. I wouldn't be surprised if the Shadows Over Innistrad deckbuild's Toolkit came with a bunch and the toolkits going forward did as well.
They're .2 to .25 a pop right now. The full arts aren't going down from here.

Yeef

They're .2 to .25 a pop right now. The full arts aren't going down from here.
That's probably true. If you want full art then it's probably a good time to pick them up, but I don't think you really have to worry about the general availability of Wastes.

kirblar

Outerworldcards on Ebay currently has some really good prices on SoI singles: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=outerworldcards&_armrs=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1312.R1.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xshadows+.TRS2&_nkw=shadows+over+innistrad&_sacat=0 I've used them before and they're currently under-pricing a lot of the market because their pricing encourages mass ordering.

The lands specifically are at $15.50 each (there's a baseline $2.00 shipping charge and .50 for each playset.) which is really good for Day 1 orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom