• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Shadows over Innistrad |OT| Blue's Clues

Status
Not open for further replies.

traveler

Not Wario
I can't see myself running season's path over praetor's counsel and i'm not sure how much room there is for expensive, non-board impacting "draw" spells.

Seeing the art of Season's Path makes me wonder if there will be a sequel card to Tree of Redemption.

Preferably one that combos with Triskaidekaphobia.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Can we stop calling everything with gothic art "Bloodborne?" Not only did the style predate a one-off video game by you know, centuries, Innistrad itself predates Bloodborne by four years. Souls fans are like the Eminem stans of the gaming world. No, Bloodborne didn't even gothic horror any more than Shady invented multis.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Season's Past seems like a badly designed card, really. They were trying to make up some kind of big splashy mythic effect but the actual effect has very little impact on the board and actively requires support to be good. When you drop one in limited, nothing actually happens: you probably draw 3 cards, maybe 4.

I don't know, maybe EDH wants that effect, but it looks like a stupid feelbad Mythic to open. It's janky, but its not janky in a fun way like The Great Aurora or See the Unwritten. It's just jank.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Nah breh, that card is straight up Bloodborne tho

eb0.gif

Genryu

Banned
Can we stop calling everything with gothic art "Bloodborne?" Not only did the style predate a one-off video game by you know, centuries, Innistrad itself predates Bloodborne by four years. Souls fans are like the Eminem stans of the gaming world. No, Bloodborne didn't even gothic horror any more than Shady invented multis.

Magic the Gathering is the Dark Souls of card games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The card screams Bloodborne more than any other cards they have ever made. Nobody was bringing it up in all the other gothic horror cards that we have gotten.

Haines

Banned
I can't decide whether seasons pass is good in limited or not.

Probably in the right deck? I have no idea.

And I agree only one card was called bloodborne. We're on a video game forum.

Seasons could be good in a midrange or control shell, control is hard in green but if you can board stall and get 4, 5 cards with it back you're likely to win. It's gonna be an awful topdeck though since it does nothing for you the turn it is played. Like if you're BG or GW and it gets you back 2 removals a creature and a land. If you live the turn you're probably gonna win.
It'd have been much better if it also milled you a couple cards, making it semi draw.

DrArchon

Seasons could be good in a midrange or control shell, control is hard in green but if you can board stall and get 4, 5 cards with it back you're likely to win. It's gonna be an awful topdeck though since it does nothing for you the turn it is played. Like if you're BG or GW and it gets you back 2 removals a creature and a land. If you live the turn you're probably gonna win.
It'd have been much better if it also milled you a couple cards, making it semi draw.

Now I'm thinking about looking into BG control with some self mill. Have The Gitrog Monster out there eating lands and drawing cards, mill yourself to draw more cards, then pop seasons late to bring back the stuff you need to close it out.

There's got to be a bunch of choice cards across the CMC spectrum though. I'd hate to see all the best BG cards end up at one or two mana costs.

traveler

Not Wario
First draft of Delirious Gitrock

3x Traverse the Ulvenwald
4x Vessel of Nascency

3x Den Protector
3x Grasp of Darkness
2x Ultimate Price
2x Transgress the Mind

3x Deathmist Raptor
2x Ruinous Path
2x To the Slaughter

4x Mindwrack Demon
2x Languish

2x The Gitrog Monster
1x Ob Reignited

1x World Breaker

4x Hissing Quagmire
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Drownyard Temple
1x Warped Landscape
2x Blighted Fen
2x Mirrorpool
2x Jungle Hollow
4x Swamp
2x Forest

Edit: Hydra seems like janky fun in standard with Mirrorpools. Tutor > Copy > tutor > Copy > tutor

I'm a sucker for tribal decks but I still need to see more before I decide what tribe I'm going to go with. The set seems to be supporting zombies, vampires, wolves, and spirits, but some still seem a little weak so far.

DrArchon

Ulvenwald Hydra looks OK I guess. Wish it had trample instead of reach so it could actually do something other than get chumped out by some random token when it swings for 7 or whatever. If they wanted it to have reach they should've also given it vigilance or the ability to block multiple guys.

Wait, why does Innistrad have a hydra? I don't remember them having them last time. Guess they just needed another green mything and hydras are the mythic creature type of choice for green. Should've been a big bug like Vorapede.

Haines

Banned
As far limited goes Hydra and floorboards look great. Floorboards could be too slow but I kind of doubt it.

It's the enchantment that leaves me bewildered.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
What happens if you have Creeping Dread with an effect that has everyone play with their hands revealed ?

I imagine you just both count down from 3 or something and then point to a card simultaneously?

Either that or pick up your hand just for the 'pick' to reveal, with the concession that you'd have to put your hand back down if the other player wanted to look?

It would be a little odd, though, for sure.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That card works the opposite of the way I would assume it would work under APNAP

and lmao that Hydra is jank supreme just reprint Craterhoof

ultron87

I imagine you just both count down from 3 or something and then point to a card simultaneously?

Either that or pick up your hand just for the 'pick' to reveal, with the concession that you'd have to put your hand back down if the other player wanted to look?

It would be a little odd, though, for sure.

I believe the second option is how it works. The ruling on LOTV's +1 ability sort of spells it out. "When the first ability resolves, first you choose a card to discard, then each other player in turn order chooses a card to discard, then all those cards are discarded simultaneously. No one sees what the other players are discarding before deciding which card to discard." So you'd just pick the card in some way your opponent can't see.

Angry Grimace

My guess is that you pick up your hand, shuffle it up and then discard it face down.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oh really? That's going to be a lot of info to take in considering some packs can even have 2.

From an article about drafting Origins:

DRAFTING DOUBLE-FACED CARDS

If you're drafting—and you really should be drafting—taking a double-faced card works a little differently than drafting any other card. Unlike other cards you draft, double-faced cards are visible to the other drafters. You can't try and hide it. You can put it on your pile of drafted cards front-face or back-face up. External whoops of delight are discouraged, but giggling to yourself internally is cool.

So, you don't have to call out to the room what you drafted, but you can't otherwise conceal the card.

Haines

Banned
I heard that set had diff dfc card rules tho because it only had like 4 cards total where this has one in every pack.

I heard original innistrad you revealed to room.

I assume wizards will publish an article to explain the process for this set.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
It must depend on where you play as well though because during original innistrad neither of the places I drafted at required us to announce. Just to not hide it.
It was different with conspiracy though, what a pain in the damn ass that set was to draft with nubs who didn't know what the were doing.

Ulvenwald Hydra seems... alright. Obviously it's no Primeval Titan, but that's a card that's banned in Commander. As for the flavor, I'm fine with these ugly lamprey hydras being on Innistrad.

From Under the Floorboards is neat, though I'm not understanding these zombie cards with life gain. Creeping Dread would otherwise be interesting, but I expect it will be viewed as a downside in this Limited.

Alright, last day before the full reveal. Anything you hope to see?

Maddening Voice - RR
Sorcery
Discard a card. If you do, draw two cards.
Madness R

Moon's Radiance - G
Instant
Transform target Human. (If it transforms into a planeswalker, no loyalty counters will be added, so it will go to its owner's graveyard.)
Draw a card.

Ashodin

Which will fit into their usual tired line "well standard is just too good right now and it would warp the format" just like inquisition of kozilek. Shit infuriates me

Santiako

Ulvenwald Hydra seems... alright. Obviously it's no Primeval Titan, but that's a card that's banned in Commander. As for the flavor, I'm fine with these ugly lamprey hydras being on Innistrad.

From Under the Floorboards is neat, though I'm not understanding these zombie cards with life gain. Creeping Dread would otherwise be interesting, but I expect it will be viewed as a downside in this Limited.

Maddening Voice - RR
Sorcery
Madness R

Moon's Radiance - G
Instant
Transform target Human. (If it transforms into a planeswalker, no loyalty counters will be added, so it will go to its owner's graveyard.)
Draw a card.

I'm hoping for some Faithless Looting/Tormenting Voice variant too, I need as many of those as I can get.

MjFrancis

Wait, why does Innistrad have a hydra? I don't remember them having them last time. Guess they just needed another green mything and hydras are the mythic creature type of choice for green. Should've been a big bug like Vorapede.
Hydras and dragons are completely out of place on Innistrad, but there they are. Certainly a concession to a demographic of sorts that Wizards is sure exists but that I have never been aware of.

Hydras and dragons are completely out of place on Innistrad, but there they are. Certainly a concession to a demographic of sorts that Wizards is sure exists but that I have never been aware of.

It's a stupid-ass design decision that every set has to have an "iconic" for each color. Green's "iconic" is the hydra.

Angry Grimace

Maddening Voice - RR
Sorcery
Madness R

Moon's Radiance - G
Instant
Draw a card.
You could just make it say "exile target Human creature and return it to the battlefield transformed."

As for Hydra guy, they specifically say in the article its a bad PT, but I don't understand the degree to which they weakened it. The body is mostly worse than PT because it doesn't have Trample and the ETB is half as good as PT's. Like, I get that you want it to be weaker than PT, but removing the attack trigger removing trample seems like it was good enough. Weakening every single thing it does to the point its just a 7/7 seems like a lame reason to make a card to begin with, much less at Mythic (because the design inspiration was a mythic).

DrArchon

Another thing about the hydra that's bugging me is how boring and un-Innistrad the design of the card is to me. Power and toughness = land count + ETB land ramp really makes me think this was supposed to be a card in a Zendikar centered block like the last two ones. I know not every card can be graveyard or discard based, but to me at least this card feels distinctly like it doesn't belong in this set except for the name Ulvenwald in its name.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Another thing about the hydra that's bugging me is how boring and un-Innistrad the design of the card is to me. Power and toughness = land count + ETB land ramp really makes me think this was supposed to be a card in a Zendikar centered block like the last two ones. I know not every card can be graveyard or discard based, but to me at least this card feels distinctly like it doesn't belong in this set except for the name Ulvenwald in its name.

It does sort of feel like a card that was brought over from the design file for the scrapped third Zendikar set.

Anyway, discard-based Hydra:

Freegan Hydra 3GG

Trample

When you cast ~ you may discard any number of cards. ~ enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counters on it for each card discarded this way.

Delirium — Put two +1/+1 counters on ~ for each card discarded this way.

0/0

It's funny reading all the impressions of the hydra. While I agree, but I keep thinking about when I was first getting in to Magic and pulling a Dakkon Blackblade from a pack of Chronicles and thinking it was the coolest thing ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom