• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

Played this for a couple of hours last night and the thing that hit me is that with some proper balancing to prevent spamming the same spells, PvP has huge potential to be competitively deep and also fun to watch. I think this might have e-sport potential.

Murkas

Bought the whole pack in the Midweek sale and liking it alot. On chapter 7 now.

Still need to experiment with combinations, I've been using arcane-lightning-frost and it works great for the most part. M60 is a life saver.

Proc

I love this game! I bought it on the sale this week and just down the dragon/snake in chapter 3. It was tough as nails but it really forced me to learn the mechanics of the game. After I finished him off, I definitely appreciated the difficulty. If you are on the fence, I definitely encourage any of you to take a chance and check it out.

Once I learned about stone wall by accident, he was easy but I still became a pro with haste, heal, and shield, as that solution definitely was not obvious to me.

Gileadxv

Banned
Both this and the Vietnam pack are on sale for $4.99 each at Amazon. I finally took the plunge and bought it today (my buddy and I were looking for some decent online co-op). I've only done the tutorial, and my head is still spinning, but I can see that once you've got the mechanics down, this game will be a lot of fun.

Drakken

I played some local co-op with a friend the other day and had a blast. I wish there was a faster way to cast spells with the Xbox controller, though. The keyboard is so much faster. Would be nice if hooking up two keyboards + mice was possible.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
I just bought the Wizards Survival Kit DLC just for the Meteor Shower, but it seems that if you already started the story mode, there is now way for you to obtain the magick?!

Am I fucked until the next playthrough?

Darklord

Banned
I bought this game in the steam sale but I can't see any subtitles or the UI. My drivers are up to date...I'm not sure what to do.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Green Scar said:
This game is fucking hard... whoever compared it to New Super Mario Bros Wii was spot-on, ha.
I actually didn't find the game that hard. It just comes down to understanding what enemies are weak to.

Imo, yetis are the hardest enemies you face.

Also, the game is a lot more fun if you and your friends don't get angry when you kill each other. It's a fact of life, and it's going to happen...a lot.

The key to success in Magicka is being quick on typing in spells, and splitting up tasks. I played through the whole thing with my friend, and I always dealt with dispel, while he always dealt with healing and revives.

Decado said:
Is there anyway to change the hotkeys in this game? The controls settings are horrendous.
Did we play the same game? The Magicka controls are just fine.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Played coop of this at a friends house and it was fantastic, bought the complete pack during the steam sale and.. I can barely run it. Despite little going on, the game chugs and stutters, the main menu even moreso. Is this just a heavily graphics intensive game, or is it the coding? Can I do anything about this?

thetrin said:
I actually didn't find the game that hard. It just comes down to understanding what enemies are weak to.

Imo, yetis are the hardest enemies you face.

Also, the game is a lot more fun if you and your friends don't get angry when you kill each other. It's a fact of life, and it's going to happen...a lot.

The key to success in Magicka is being quick on typing in spells, and splitting up tasks. I played through the whole thing with my friend, and I always dealt with dispel, while he always dealt with healing and revives.

My typing skills are hella lame so that's my big problem I think, just pressing the right buttons and pressing them fast. Me and my friend are basically murdering each other inadvertently constantly, but it's funny (I can't imagine playing this game without a mic) and we're having fun, so that's not too much of an issue. I didn't realise enemies had weaknesses though, that's good to know. I'm just using the fire archane all the time. *shrug*

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Green Scar said:
My typing skills are hella lame so that's my big problem I think, just pressing the right buttons and pressing them fast. Me and my friend are basically murdering each other inadvertently constantly, but it's funny (I can't imagine playing this game without a mic) and we're having fun, so that's not too much of an issue. I didn't realise enemies had weaknesses though, that's good to know. I'm just using the fire archane all the time. *shrug*
Yeah fire + arcane is just way too convenient of an attack. Found myself using that as a default go-to attack even though I haven't got that far.

Goon Boon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Played coop of this at a friends house and it was fantastic, bought the complete pack during the steam sale and.. I can barely run it. Despite little going on, the game chugs and stutters, the main menu even moreso. Is this just a heavily graphics intensive game, or is it the coding? Can I do anything about this?
I googled it, and apparently the problem is this.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?517338-The-demo-running-really-SLOW&p=12025418&viewfull=1#post12025418 said:
The game is using Deferred shading, which allows us to have virtually unlimited amount of lights - this however makes the game resolution work differently than other games in that doubling the resolution quadruples the demand on the graphics card, the 512mb requirement on the GFX-card is also due to it handling unlimited amounts of light.

Johan

I have to run it at 1280x720 because 1920x1200 is way too slow :(

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
enzo_gt said:
Same thing happened to me on an i5-750/5850. Running it in a window magically solved the problem. Madballs has the same issue.

JRW

Green Scar said:
This game is fucking hard... whoever compared it to New Super Mario Bros Wii was spot-on, ha.

I made it to chapter 11 and was quickly discouraged from playing anymore due to the incredibly cheap Snow Trolls roaming all over the place.

Game just got updated in anticipation for a "Lovecraft inspired" campaign called The Stars Are Left. Major updates: you can now save at checkpoints or replay previously completed chapters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdVzcZaaoc8&feature=player_embedded

In anticipation of Magicka's upcoming Lovecraft-inspired campaign, Magicka: The Stars are Left, the Great Old Ones today announced that the popular co-op action/adventure game will be receiving a huge tech overhaul for the game engine itself and game balance improvements. Rolling out before the weekend, any players who have purchased Magicka will receive, at no charge, this much-asked for update, which adds the ability to resume game progress from check points instead of starting over at the beginning of a chapter, incorporates the ability to revisit previously completed chapters, and, for the soloists, adds a fairy familiar that will revive players when they perish during campaign mode.

Full details for what is featured in the game engine update:
• Fairy familiar added, revives characters after death occurs in solo campaign
• Checkpoints now save progress even if game is quit
• Chapter select added to replay previously played chapters
• Several improvements to the server browser
• Physics and collision detection improved - less falling through the floor
• Frame rate stuttering - should be less noticeable for some users
• Extended particle system with particle lights
• Improved light performance
• Several minor bug fixes, game balance, and tweaks

The Great Old Ones also unveiled a gameplay trailer that was available before the existence of man. However, since the Great Old Ones only had dial-up internet access until just a few days ago (old habits die hard), they're finally able to share it with all of mankind who have since started to exist; the trailer is sure to excite players who are Thurston for more Magicka action—bah-dum-ching!

Magicka: The Stars are Left is a new Adventure expansion for the PC action/adventure game Magicka. This time Arrowhead has moved on from the jungles of Vietnam and set their sights on the maddening Cthulhu mythos.
For the first time since the release of the original game players will once again be able to join forces in a coop-supported adventure campaign. Fighting their way through several completely new levels, fending off multitudes of strange horrors, vanquishing horrid bosses and solving peculiar puzzles.

Main Features:
•All new adventure including several levels steeped in Lovecraftian lore
•2 Challenge maps
•2 new robes
•2 new bosses
•New achievements
•Several new enemies
•New Items and Magicks
•Innovative and dynamic spellcasting system with thousands of possible combinations
•Up to four player co-op in all game modes as well as single player option
•Experience the parody and satire of a cliché fantasy world

Bought this for me and my brother. Works perfectly fine on my machine but my brother gets a "no suitable graphics card" error on startup. Looked at forums and apparently it sort of works now in window mode but.. wondering if anyone knows how to actually fix it or if they know about this problem and there might be a fix coming?

Fucking fun game. I should have caved in and bought looooong ago.

Top Bottom