• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Working on mission 5 right now. It's gotten a little tougher in the last couple missions, never to the point of being frustrating but shit gets hectic. I'm still playing on a gamepad, I've tried the KB/M controls but at this point my mind is so wrapped around using analogs with this game that I just can't do it. I do feel like queuing up the more complex spells would make a lot more sense on a keyboard, but maybe I'll save that for the next playthrough.

Anyways, I'm really liking this game. The spell system is easy to grasp, but the amount of different combos you can do is very impressive and I'm still coming across new mixes. I like that it's all available from the start and it's up to you, aside from the occasional book that shows you a combo, to find the most effective spells. So far I'm big on building flaming barriers with fire + shield + rock then waiting for the damaged enemies to bust a small path so I can funnel them into my cold + lighting + arcane beam of death. It feels a tad repetitive towards the end of missions and I really wish I could quit and jump back into a checkpoint at a later time (instead of having to redo a whole mission), but it's a very fun game and a great value. Still haven't even tried any multiplayer yet.

It's nice that this game has sold well so far, but I'm disappointed in the lack of attention it's received around here. Only six pages? C'mon people.

Game is amazing.

I find ground stomping is most effective when surrounded in single player, just mash some of the spell keys together and hold shift as you click, I create an eruption of kick ass all around me enveloping the entire screen and you can do it non stop.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I forgot to mention that I love the movie references. In particular, I liked seeing (spoilered just in case)
MacLeod from Highlander (tried zapping him, but he was invincible!) and the reference to the iconic scene from Platoon when Dafoe gets gunned down. Good stuff.

The story is appropriately slight and I'm glad they decided to not take themselves seriously.

I think Magicka might be the best game I've ever bought on Steam in terms of "bang for your buck". Hell it's one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Unbelievable it was only 10 bucks.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Heavy said:
I think Magicka might be the best game I've ever bought on Steam in terms of "bang for your buck". Hell it's one of my favorite games in the past couple years. Unbelievable it was only 10 bucks.

It really is. The element combos are such a genius mechanic, it's fun to just mess around and experiment with all the stuff you can do. Hopefully it's success on PC will lead to console ports so more people will play it. It already plays well on a gamepad and the multiplayer part would be a great fit for XBLA.

ArjanN

Snuggler said:
I forgot to mention that I love the movie references. In particular, I liked seeing (spoilered just in case)
MacLeod from Highlander (tried zapping him, but he was invincible!) and the reference to the iconic scene from Platoon when Dafoe gets gunned down. Good stuff.

The story is appropriately slight and I'm glad they decided to not take themselves seriously.

MacLeod
is not invincible, there's an achievement for killing him.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ArjanN said:
MacLeod
is not invincible, there's an achievement for killing him.

yeah I saw that but I couldn't seem to find an effective combo at the time, bastard didn't budge

Jimrpg

can someone update me as to whether there's less crashes now in multiplayer - i think this is only a game id be interested in in multi... thx!

A friend tells me they have fixed the multiplayer via a ton of patches.

I've decided to play the multiplayer so any gaffers want to join me? It would be really fun if we can complete a group with voice chat to create mayhem. Send a PM if you are interested.

The Hermit

I am loving this game! Its basically a diablo with no loot where wizzards are the only class and broke as fuck.

The references are hillarous too, like this one:

hamerzeit.jpg

grease spell

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Didn't know about this, but NEW DLC out now.

The "Wizard's Survival Kit" allows you to equip the following items for your character:

Wizard's Hat (item) - No wizard of note would ever be seen outdoors without one of these pointy hats.
Sharp Sword (item) - The instruction reads “stick them with the pointy end”. Good to have in a pinch.
Staff +1(item) - Whack your foes over the head, use it to prod mucky waters or lean on it to look cool - the staff +1 let’s you do all of it in style.
Meteor Shower (new Magick) - Rain burning rocks down on your enemies. ‘Nuff said.

It's 99 cents. Buying now.

I'm at I think chapter 6 or 7. The game is awesome, but I hate that the checkpoints are too far apart and the fact that I can't quit and rejoin at a checkpoint makes it even worse. It gets frustrating, but if I could just take a break and come back it would be so much better. Badass game, though.

wizard hat fuck yeah

Getting totally f'ed in the a at the chapter 6(i think) MIND BATTLE!

I just get blown off the stages over and over and over again. FUUUUUUUUU

Got through the first couple of levels last night. I got it for free at GDC, but I'll likely buy some of the DLC. I just wish it had Steam Cloud saves. Anyone want to play co op sometime?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Help? I did what this asks and got the same result. I just downloaded the game yesterday.
5108fbba247c3a7599d465f1bfa54b952b01a4eb.png

Thanks God I wasn't banned or something I guess...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I have it on Steam. I was playing fine a while ago, then I deleted it, and I got it again yesterday. Did their own DLC modify it or something?

zlatko

Banned
I'll totally be playing this game once that issue is fixed. I want to get a review of it up on the site I'm working for too, but want to get the full experience so a little longer wait won't hurt. :)

Somax

Same problem for me and one of my friends too, but we still had a blast on Saturday trying the challenge mode for the first time, even if we bought the game at launch.
Quite brutal in the late waves, we have to try again... (maybe with a bit more coordination, each of us was just wandering around the arena blasting things, not combining our spells for maximum effectiveness). The yetis devoured us, as expected.

zlatko

Banned
Was loving my first 40 minutes of the game. Got to that first checkpoint outside of the starting area and still hadn't been told how to save, so I assumed oh I reached the checkpoint guess this is just one of those games that auto saves.

Quit out, load up my file....start of game all over.

Sorry Magicka but fuck off. It'll take a LOT to make me go back to this again. If after 40 minutes of play you haven't told the player HOW TO FUCKING SAVE A FILE...you fucked up as a developer.

Nabs

zlatko said:
Was loving my first 40 minutes of the game. Got to that first checkpoint outside of the starting area and still hadn't been told how to save, so I assumed oh I reached the checkpoint guess this is just one of those games that auto saves.

Sorry Magicka but fuck off. It'll take a LOT to make me go back to this again. If after 40 minutes of play you haven't told the player HOW TO FUCKING SAVE A FILE...you fucked up as a developer.

It takes one minute to skip the tutorial and reach the first checkpoint. One minute.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
You have to complete the full level, no quitting and reloading a checkpoint. It's probably my least favorite thing about the game.

zlatko said:

Just do it again and skip the cut-scenes...

The first time I opened the game I got up to just past that point before my friend invited me to an online game. I got in and it required we restart the chapter. We literally just skipped the talking and blazed through in about 2 minutes, if even that long before we were killing shit together.

zlatko

Banned
Houston3000 said:
Just do it again and skip the cut-scenes...

The first time I opened the game I got up to just past that point before my friend invited me to an online game. I got in and it required we restart the chapter. We literally just skipped the talking and blazed through in about 2 minutes, if even that long before we were killing shit together.

Ah okay thank you. I was just super salty about how it dropped you into the game like this. I'm at least glad I'll be able to skip the tutorial. What will save points look like?

Sorry for the super rage induced comment, but it's a super shitty thing to not have placed a save right outside the tutorial area like where the old wizards are talking about when they first saved the world.

Broseybrose

Just picked it up and LOVING it. Need to try more co-op!

Oh there are no save points. Just chapter saves, i.e. you must finish a chapter before quitting.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
To wait for sale or not to wait for sale... short-on-cash frugality vs immediacy and supporting cool devs...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Well, it is already just $10. I think the game will give you plenty of bang for your buck.

Anyways, I really need to go back and finish this but I'm a bit discouraged by the lack of mid-mission saves. I'm at the chapter where you're on the floating platforms, and I quit out when I died and had almost the entire mission ahead of me. The game is fun as hell but the later levels are a bit of a grind so it kinda sucks to have to redo it all again.

oh well, I'll get it done before the Vietnam expansion

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Dice said:
To wait for sale or not to wait for sale... short-on-cash frugality vs immediacy and supporting cool devs...
It's already on sale. They could have easily have charged $15 for this, post patches.

Dice

Oh, fuck it. I'm getting it. Why?

1) It looks clever. Not "hur hur, I'm a nerdy game dev" clever but actually clever.

2) I like looking at it. It has the perfect old arcade charm, clean but with personality, moves well. You wouldn't believe how many interesting games I have passed up because their artistic concept wasn't coherent enough or too cluttered, blurred, or garish.

Is there a point to getting the DLC or is it stuff you can find in the game?

Nabs

Remember folks, D3Doverrider is your friend.

I have to return and finish this game soon. Can't wait for the DLC.

Dice

Movement is a bit hitchy for me despite being 60fps. I saw that it was an issue they apparently fixed. Anyone else still experience it?

Dice

Did I say screen tearing? No. I'm using D3Doverrider and I have Magicka in its list with high detection. It still has inconsistent movement, almost like a jutter but with no image irregularities, perhaps reloaded to loading.

derFeef

Dice said:
Did I say screen tearing? No. I'm using D3Doverrider and I have Magicka in its list with high detection. It still has inconsistent movement, almost like a jutter, perhaps reloaded to loading.
Triple buffering fixes this for a lot of people.

Dice

derFeef said:
Triple buffering fixes this for a lot of people.
Apparently not for me. It's solid 60fps.

Edit: It happens in those developer commentary vids, so I am just accepting it.

Dice

Okay seriously the save thing is stupid. I see some people around the internet complaining that it would make the game too easy, but that doesn't make any sense. If you restart from a checkpoint when you die, having you restart from that checkpoint when you close and reopen the game does nothing to make it an "easier" game, all it does is make it so you can play in shorter spans of time. They say they want to settle on a design that makes everybody happy, but they have to understand that some people are just idiots.

This is really annoying to me because I'm the type of person who doesn't play too long in one sitting, yet takes it slow in a game by exploring everything, talking to everyone, experimenting, etc. I get how they want to be "old school" but old school games didn't have nearly this much content to care about. There is a reason saving systems evolved the way they did.

Other than that, this game is really cool. They seem to be tackling a great deal of things with a small team so I hope they get it sorted out.

Top Bottom