• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99! [On Sale For $16]

ibrk0.jpg

Thanks to Haunted for the banner! :)

TITLE: Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
DEVELOPER: Game Republic
GENRE: Action/Adventure
PLATFORMS: PS3, XBOX360
PUBLISHER: Namco-Bandai
RELEASE DATES: November 23, 2010
PRICE: $39.99 (Gamestop and Amazon)

PLOT/STORY: Maijn's story is set in a once prosperous and fruitful kingdom, which is overtaken by a mysterious darkness and thrown into disarray. While many citizens attempted to explore and find out what's going on, they were never to be seen again, and the decay continued. To cleanse this forsaken kingdom of the darkness, a young thief named Tepeu sets out to free the mythical Majin - an all powerful and mystical beast, to reclaim its power and restore the land to its former glory.

GAMEPLAY: The game is an action/platformer, with puzzle elements thrown in at different intervals. Players control Tepeu, while Majin is A.I. controlled. Though the player takes no direct control over Majin, they can give him commands, which are often used for solving puzzles or during combat. This team aspect is similar to another Namco Bandai title, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

As the game progresses, Majin will gain powers, such as the ability to produce electricity. These elements will be used both in combat and puzzle solving. The game is intended to emphasize the differences in Majin and Tepeu. For example at certain points, the characters will be separated and Tepeu must dispatch enemies using stealth, as he does not have the strength Majin does.

REVIEWS:

Destructoid - 95
It truly is one of those special games that not many will discover, but those that do will fall in love with it. Like I have.

Game Informer - 80
Majin reminds me of the companion adventures in games like Ico.

1up - 75
The interplay between the A.I. character and the player character for both puzzle solving and combat adds layers to the gameplay, and the story has its moments. But this definitely isn't "Ico 2."

Gamespot - 70
It's easy to admire Teotl's dedication to your friendship, though that relationship rings hollow. The guardian is a sympathetic but wholly underdeveloped character who makes a better gameplay mechanic than traveling companion. Underdeveloped, too, is the combat, which is more fun to watch than it is to perform. Yet vivacious visuals, creative puzzles, and fun bosses make for a genial journey through a land with enough subtle delights to keep you interested. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is too mundane to evoke euphoric bliss, but it still exudes a touch of magic.

IGN - 70
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom tells a sad but clichéd tale with an endearing giant and his friend at the helm of it. This “puzzle platformer” won’t give you too much of a problem as the solutions are simple, but finding every collectible in the world will take quite a bit of effort. It's not without frustrations, but journeying with the goofy monster is an adventure most people will get a kick out of.

Game Zone - 70
Awkward moments of backtracking and horrible voice-acting are nearly forgotten in the ensuing moments of pride and the excitement of uncovering hidden items.

SCREENSHOTS:

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100329042028974_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100329041954412_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100414105306532_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100819073242460_640w.jpg

---------------Original post-----------------------------------------------------

I've heard nothing about this game. It looks like Namco pushed really hard with Enslaved but that didn't sell as expected. And it looks like Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom will fly under the radar.

I'm actually interested in this game. I'm surprised that Gamestop and Amazon has listed this at $39.99. I don't know if that's a temporary price drop or permanent. If it's permanent, than I think Namco dropped the price before it even hits retail tomorrow, which isn't a good sign.

The game is getting good reviews though, with scores around 7-8s. I may pick it up since it's only $40.

It's unfortunate that this game will have no chance. But I hope more people will check it out. This game looks like it could be a Hollywood movie in the making. It just has that vibe to it.

Also, there's no GAF OT for this yet. Anyone planning on making one?

Where-The-Wild-Things-Are3.gif

"Oh, why did I make this thread!"

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Also, there's no GAF OT for this yet. Anyone planning on making one?
You just did! :)

I'll be picking it up this week with some gamestop credit and hopefully I'll have lots of time to play it over the holiday

Pooya

IGN 7.0
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/113/1136251p1.html

7.0 Presentation
The default interface constantly reminds you which buttons to press, which clutters up the screen. Once those options are turned off, it's fine and the menu system is easy to navigate.
8.0 Graphics
The landscapes and characters are beautiful, but they can also feel familiar. The story is told through "paper-cut-out" scenes, which are really appealing.
5.5 Sound
The voice acting ranges from laughable to decent, though the better work is few and far between. Some of the sound effects are pretty bad as well, but the music is really pleasant.
7.0 Gameplay
Running back and forth through the different levels numerous times gets boring, but solving simple puzzles is fun. Beating up bad guys is the most challenging part of the game, and it's satisfying.
7.5 Lasting Appeal
Clocking in around 16 hours, the single-player campaign is hearty and it will take more effort to locate all the hidden goodies in the kingdom. Once you’re done with that there’s nothing left to do.

Gamespot 7.0/10

The Good

* Lots of great environmental puzzles
* Lovely visuals and music
* Fun, interesting boss battles.

The Bad

* Backtracking gets monotonous
* Shallow action
* Central relationship never deepens.

HamPster PamPster said:
You just did! :)

I'll be picking it up this week with some gamestop credit and hopefully I'll have lots of time to play it over the holiday
No way, not me! We need a great thread with pictures, gifs, info, links, videos, the works!

I can't do that stuff. :(

TimeLike

The majin sounds like a very mentally challenged child and he NEVER shuts up. He doesn't use auxillary verbs when he talks which makes him sound really stupid. So unless you think you can handle riding in a car for a 16 hour road trip with someone who sounds like a combo of Snuffuluffulgus from Sesame Street and Sloth from The Goonies, you should pass on this one.

duckroll

canova said:
The thing is they also have Splatterhouse coming out tomorrow. zero hype :lol

I'm getting Splatterhouse though

That's actually kinda depressing. I remember the old Splatterhouse games fondly, but just can't get excited for the new one. :/

I was really looking forward to this until I heard the Majin speak. It really does sound absolutely awful.

I'll get it eventually I guess.

MrDaravon

canova said:
The thing is they also have Splatterhouse coming out tomorrow. zero hype :lol

I'm getting Splatterhouse though

Wait, WHAT? I remember that being announced, but I thought it had been canceled like a year ago? It's actually coming out, and tomorrow? Holy fucking shit sent to die :lol

Haunted

Or you could wait like two weeks and pick it up for half that.

Or wait another couple weeks and it'll be half that. Seriously, game is going to bomb so hard.

Shame, I liked the demo. Nice |OT| btw, OP.

SailorDaravon said:
Wait, WHAT? I remember that being announced, but I thought it had been canceled like a year ago? It's actually coming out, and tomorrow? Holy fucking shit sent to die :lol
Yeah. This and Splatterhouse came out of nowhere. I had no idea it was coming out this week until I was browsing around the game sites. And on the same week GT5 comes out!

I was excited for it but I didn't enjoy the demo like I wanted to. I'm going to have to give it another go but sites calling it this generations Team Ico game can burn down.

Square Triangle said:
I was excited for it but I didn't enjoy the demo like I wanted to. I'm going to have to give it another go but sites calling it this generations Team Ico game can burn down.
Is that what they're calling it? I think I read more, "This isn't Ico 2" comments though. Which isn't a good compliment.

The game looks interesting though.

anddo0

I watched quite a bit of this game being played on the Destructoid.com Jtv channel. The game looks very good, but I'll wait for a price drop.

Canova

Banned
SailorDaravon said:

yeah I dont understand what Bamco thinking here, 2 games on the same day with no advertisement

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
canova said:
duckroll/mod please change the thread title.

just add |OT| at the end :lol
Fixed the title...I'm going to check out Splatterhouse instead, though. It was fun as hell @ E3.

What? It's an OT now? :lol

Aw, man! I can't find any pictures or info on this game! :lol

J/K

I guess I can at least put a banner up and post reviews, info, etc.

You know what? I really wanted to buy this game, but there is no way that I would pay $60 for it. I'll definitely be buying this sooner than later at $40. Only reason I'm not buying it right now is that I'm waiting to see some holiday sales.

RPGCrazied

The Demo was okay. Majin talks wayyy to much. Should be a way to mute him, or they should've made him talk a lot less. The graphics while okay could've used a little bit of AA. Kinda jagged.

I'll get it when it hits $19.99

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
My colleague had the same opinion many others in this thread had to say about the Majin's voice-acting

GameZone review: 7/10

If one element is bound to hinder your emotional investment, it’s probably the Majin. He’s one of the most endearing characters of the year, and reminds me of Miyazaki’s Totoro, until he opens his mouth. Then he reminds me of a mentally challenged Barney the dinosaur clapping his hands while saying, “Yay! That great!” That’s actually a direct quote. It isn’t limited to the Majin either. The numerous animals around the world feature atrocious voice-acting. By that I mean, ‘so bad I have no comparable analogy’ bad. At least the music is pleasant.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom thrives on the power of clever puzzles and the enjoyable simplicity of combat. Awkward moments of backtracking and horrible voice-acting are nearly forgotten in the ensuing moments of pride and the excitement of uncovering hidden items. If you can look beyond the dialogue, or turn it off, there is a charming game inside with the makings of an adventurous fairy tale.

Haunted

He didn't even talk that much during the demo, did he? A couple sentences, and some stuff in the tutorial tops.

The lovable giant idiot trope isn't too bad, but if done really badly... I can see how it'd detract from the experience. Shouldn't really be a gamebreaker, though.

Fuck, if you made it through Other M's monologues, you should be able to take Majin.

Haunted said:
He didn't even talk that much during the demo, did he? A couple sentences, and some stuff in the tutorial tops.

The lovable giant idiot trope isn't too bad, but if done really badly... I can see how it'd detract from the experience. Shouldn't really be a gamebreaker, though.

Fuck, if you made it through Other M's monologues, you should be able to take Majin.

Well I just played the demo and he makes a lot of little comments that seem like they'll be repeated every now and then. You're right though, it's in no way game breaking.

I really like everything else, so I'm going to order it now. Seems like it will be a fairly nice, light hearted adventure.

Everdred

Read title as:
Majin and the Foreskin Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99!

Game seems interesting. Might check it out. Never heard of it until now.

Haunted

Now that's a proper OP. :p

Everdred said:
Game seems interesting. Might check it out. Never heard of it until now.
There's a demo up so you can check it out right now. Seems to be a good representation of the full game from all I've seen and read so far.

Despera

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Could be this gen's SotC or Ico
You should try the demo.

Price is reasonable, especially with zero marketing. I didn't even know the game was coming out today. Anyways, nice OT.

Ricker

Good OT...I liked the demo enough,although I died a lot near the end,I guess I wasn`t getting the throw distance on the bombs right,they always seemed to finish landing at the same spot...at that price though,I think i`ll pick it up Wednesday,along with GT5.

DonMigs85

Will probably pass unless it becomes super-cheap soon. Releasing it in such close proximity to NFS, GT5, Sly Collection and DKCR was probably a bad move.

Top Bottom