• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99! [On Sale For $16]

I've never heard of it but the art looked cool. Was gonna get it but it looks like it's all out on Amazon (PS3) and I only use my Xbox for CoD these days. :lol

Ricker

If somebody has beaten the first real Boss of the game,let me know what you guys did for the second part...the game is good but sometimes it leaves you absolutly clueless on what to do and the button combinations are a little annoying....am I suppose to easily choose a target for the Majin to attack? in the heat of battle it`s very hard to do...oh and the jumping sucks at times as well...I must of tried 20 times a particular jump that when missed,you have to go all the way back up and retry...

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Been playing this today. It's quite a bit of fun: a smart adventure game that rewards intelligent play and tactics.

You can charge into battle headfirst, or ask fatty to wait while you dispatch a couple snipers and guards with the stealth attack. Then get Majin to push some giant pillars, while you get bad guys to move into place from afar, by chucking rocks at them. Ask Majin to shove his massive rock and... SPLAT!

Some stages you don't even need to do any combat. You can sneak in, grab the fruit, throw it over the wall and climb back out without fighting. If only the platforming wasn't so imprecise.

And the voice acting is fucking terrible. Wish you could play it in Japanese. Blergh.

So yeah, having fun with it. A nice change of pace.

Ricker

Finally beat that Boss,man that was a hard fight to figure out lol...now i`m stuck again,not on a Boss but on what/where to go and what to do...this game is like one huge World puzzle at times...they kinda let you go a lot of places but you have to backtrack later because you might not have what it takes to do the task there...reminds me of another game at times,right down to a little jingle when you solve something or open up a path :lol ;)

soldat7

Demo was better than I thought, with the exception of the horrendous voice acting. Luckily, you can turn down the voice volume completely. Ugh.

Just finished it. I really am awful at writing up impressions of games so I guess I'll just do a pros/cons list.

Pros:

- Puzzles are varied enough not to get boring. New elements are added steadily over the course of the game.
- Took me about 13 hours to complete which isn't half bad. I got all the chests and memory seeds etc. Didn't bother getting my friendship level to maximum.
- There's a good sense of progression as you acquire new powers and are able to use them to access new areas. The Majin has quite a few physical moves that you can learn from finding the strength fruits. I enjoyed seeing him dropkicking the larger enemies, or just belly flopping into a group of smaller ones.
- Apart from the opening area, I found the designs of all the locations really nice. The game is also seamless, no loading times once you start playing. I think they hide it by making certain doors require both you and the Majin to open instead of just the Majin.
- You can mix and match the various costume pieces to give you a number of different bonus abilities.
- Even if he does sound like a doofus, the Majin did grow on me. You learn about his past by unlocking his memories throughout the game and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for him. You also feel like the characters have a real fondness for eachother. Shame that it doesn't really develop though.

Cons:

- Really easy. Didn't die once. It does get slightly harder as you go, but not much. I actually did lose all my health once and the Majin just revived me. I guess you both have to die at the same time.
- Combat isn't particularly deep. You obviously get new powers but really you're just waiting to stun an enemy until you can perform a combo attack.
- The Majin gets a new power in each area, but you don't really need to use them in puzzles outside of them. Once you get to a new area the only power you really need is the one you're about to find. Electricity seemed to get the most use and wind was used only 2 or 3 times through the whole game.
- Voice acting. Duh.
- I wasn't allowed to play as a certain duel wielding character you meet later on. At least I might have had more than a 3-hit combo to work with! Maybe DLC as there is an option (greyed out) for it in the save menu. If there is any then I guess it will be costumes, though.
- Ending is a bit sudden.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with it and will be replaying it for sure in a year or two. I think anyone who enjoys adventure games with a Metroid style progression should at least give this a go, even if they only rent it.

KuroNeeko

Ricker said:
reminds me of another game at times,right down to a little jingle when you solve something or open up a path :lol ;)

That jingle was inspired by the game you're thinking of. It was one of the influences that Majin drew on during development. Also served as a cue to let you know when you'd accomplished something as sometimes it was hard to tell whether your actions had any meaning to them.

Just curious but did any of you find the
catapult puzzle
difficult to get through?

Baloonatic said:
Impressions.

Thanks for your impressions!

Glad that the Majin grew on you. Deciding on his personality was major headache and though while some people really wanted to make him a bit more menacing, we were happy with the end result.

Combat and player-initiated combos were a tough nut to crack, but the team was pretty adamant that they didn't want you to be too capable in combat otherwise you wouldn't need the Majin at all. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't any plans to allow that dual-wielding character as a playable character via DLC.

The PS3 version of this is sold out everywhere in the Seattle area as well as online via Gamestop. I wonder if there will be a second printing?

KuroNeeko said:

Glad that the Majin grew on you. Deciding on his personality was major headache and though while some people really wanted to make him a bit more menacing, we were happy with the end result.

Combat and player-initiated combos were a tough nut to crack, but the team was pretty adamant that they didn't want you to be too capable in combat otherwise you wouldn't need the Majin at all. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't any plans to allow that dual-wielding character as a playable character via DLC.

I don't actually think it would have worked as well if he was just an aggressive brute. The way his personality is really does work within the game. For example, in the memory where the
villagers are throwing stones and mobbing him
, it's easier to feel sorry for something with a slightly child-like outlook than some murderous titan.

I think maybe a longer combo string would have been nicer. One of the problems I had was telling the Majin to use a power and too often the enemy would have moved out of the way making it a waste of magic. Especially those panther like enemies that take a while to kill. Because of this I found myself using lightning a lot because it seemed easier to hit something with, especially compared to purification which I rarely used (not only because I didn't have it for long before the game was over).

However, the combat obviously wasn't the main focus and it certainly served it's purpose.

Do you know about any DLC plans? I assume it will be extra costumes?

What's your connection to the game by the way?

Edit: I just remembered; how come you can select your weapon in the costume screen even though you only get one?

Ricker

Finally got the Lightning...I love this little game,it`s a like a cross between Zelda,Ico,maybe the Last Guardian when it comes out...the puzzled are like Zelda dungeons,on a smaller scale,but outside for now,I suspect a nice big inside area near the end,very well made and they make you scratch your head at first but satisfying when you figure the things out...second Boss fight was fun as well,good stuff...

REALLY want this game but will have to pick it up later due to bills and christmas funds!!! Glad to hear the impressions and thoughts though. Seems like a fun adventure title.

Ricker

PumpkinPie said:
GAF, this or Enslaved?

This...Enslaved is good as well but this game is great...too bad no one is playing it and it looks like it will go unoticed...and I`m stuck again hehe...i`m near the 3rd Boss now I think,just have to figure out how to smash that shield.

LiquidMrM

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
ibrk0.jpg

Thanks to Haunted for the banner! :)

TITLE: Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom
DEVELOPER: Game Republic
GENRE: Action/Adventure
PLATFORMS: PS3, XBOX360
PUBLISHER: Namco-Bandai
RELEASE DATES: November 23, 2010
PRICE: $39.99 (Gamestop and Amazon)

PLOT/STORY: Maijn's story is set in a once prosperous and fruitful kingdom, which is overtaken by a mysterious darkness and thrown into disarray. While many citizens attempted to explore and find out what's going on, they were never to be seen again, and the decay continued. To cleanse this forsaken kingdom of the darkness, a young thief named Tepeu sets out to free the mythical Majin - an all powerful and mystical beast, to reclaim its power and restore the land to its former glory.

GAMEPLAY: The game is an action/platformer, with puzzle elements thrown in at different intervals. Players control Tepeu, while Majin is A.I. controlled. Though the player takes no direct control over Majin, they can give him commands, which are often used for solving puzzles or during combat. This team aspect is similar to another Namco Bandai title, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

As the game progresses, Majin will gain powers, such as the ability to produce electricity. These elements will be used both in combat and puzzle solving. The game is intended to emphasize the differences in Majin and Tepeu. For example at certain points, the characters will be separated and Tepeu must dispatch enemies using stealth, as he does not have the strength Majin does.

REVIEWS:

Destructoid - 95
It truly is one of those special games that not many will discover, but those that do will fall in love with it. Like I have.

Game Informer - 80
Majin reminds me of the companion adventures in games like Ico.

1up - 75
The interplay between the A.I. character and the player character for both puzzle solving and combat adds layers to the gameplay, and the story has its moments. But this definitely isn't "Ico 2."

Gamespot - 70
It's easy to admire Teotl's dedication to your friendship, though that relationship rings hollow. The guardian is a sympathetic but wholly underdeveloped character who makes a better gameplay mechanic than traveling companion. Underdeveloped, too, is the combat, which is more fun to watch than it is to perform. Yet vivacious visuals, creative puzzles, and fun bosses make for a genial journey through a land with enough subtle delights to keep you interested. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is too mundane to evoke euphoric bliss, but it still exudes a touch of magic.

IGN - 70
Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom tells a sad but clichéd tale with an endearing giant and his friend at the helm of it. This “puzzle platformer” won’t give you too much of a problem as the solutions are simple, but finding every collectible in the world will take quite a bit of effort. It's not without frustrations, but journeying with the goofy monster is an adventure most people will get a kick out of.

Game Zone - 70
Awkward moments of backtracking and horrible voice-acting are nearly forgotten in the ensuing moments of pride and the excitement of uncovering hidden items.

SCREENSHOTS:

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100329042028974_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100329041954412_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100414105306532_640w.jpg

majin-and-the-forsaken-kingdom-20100819073242460_640w.jpg

---------------Original post-----------------------------------------------------

I've heard nothing about this game. It looks like Namco pushed really hard with Enslaved but that didn't sell as expected. And it looks like Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom will fly under the radar.

I'm actually interested in this game. I'm surprised that Gamestop and Amazon has listed this at $39.99. I don't know if that's a temporary price drop or permanent. If it's permanent, than I think Namco dropped the price before it even hits retail tomorrow, which isn't a good sign.

The game is getting good reviews though, with scores around 7-8s. I may pick it up since it's only $40.f

It's unfortunate that this game will have no chance. But I hope more people will check it out. This game looks like it could be a Hollywood movie in the making. It just has that vibe to it.

Also, there's no GAF OT for this yet. Anyone planning on making one?

Where-The-Wild-Things-Are3.gif

"Oh, why did I make this thread!"
From what i can sense, taste, touch, see and feel off the above, posted screenshots of Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is a generic, pc-belonging barginbin game which,is, obviously, at best , compromised of a tasteless-looking, colorless, uninpisring, lifeless, generic/as-seen-in-so-many-other-videogames atmosphere/Chosen art direction, with an ugly , unfrightening funny generic brown monster, a perrot not belonging there and a not-so-looking-driven-adventure-looking, generic/lifeless ,uninspiring heroe which could have been tough of/drawn and designed by any tasteless/uninsprired videogame-design beginners out there.

Sorry, Game Republic.

Learn from the TRUE Videogaming Gods:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leg...carina_of_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leg...light_Princess
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Hill_2

Ricker

LiquidMrM said:
From i can sense, taste, touch, see and feel off the above, posted screenshots is a generic, pc-belonging barginbin game which,is, obviously, at best , compromised of a tasteless, colorless, uninpisring, lifeless, unbreathing-looking, generic/as-seen-in-so-many-other-videogames atmosphere, Chosen art direction, with an ugly , unfrightening funny generic brown monster and a not-so-driven-adventure-looking, generic/lifeless heroe...Twillight princess'Link caracter design uttlery

Learn from the True Videogami

And from what I played so far,instead of sensing it,is that the game is good and you are wrong,but that`s just my opinion,after actually playing the game :D

Aklamarth

This game is soooo goooood. After playing #generic shooter nr 345 and driving simulator nr 268 is so good to play a game with a heart :). I hope you do good Majin and Namco gives us a sequel ( my answer to the final question is NO ).

Great job Game Republic. I salute you.

LiquidMrM said:
From i can sense, taste, touch, see and feel off the above, posted screenshots is a generic, pc-belonging barginbin game which,is, obviously, at best , compromised of a tasteless, colorless, uninpisring, lifeless, unbreathing-looking, generic/as-seen-in-so-many-other-videogames atmosphere, Chosen art direction, with an ugly , unfrightening funny generic brown monster and a not-so-driven-adventure-looking, generic/lifeless heroe...Twillight princess'Link caracter design uttlery

Learn from the True Videogami

LiquidMrM said:
From what i can sense, taste, touch, see and feel off the above, posted screenshots of Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is a generic, pc-belonging barginbin game which,is, obviously, at best , compromised of a tasteless-looking, colorless, uninpisring, lifeless, generic/as-seen-in-so-many-other-videogames atmosphere/Chosen art direction, with an ugly , unfrightening funny generic brown monster, a perrot not belonging there and a not-so-looking-driven-adventure-looking, generic/lifeless ,uninspiring heroe which could have been tough of/drawn and designed by any tasteless/uninsprired videogame-design beginners out there.

Sorry, Game Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess

It's nice you had to post the same post twice while quoting a big OP to troll this game. Bravo sir, Bravo.

LiquidMrM said:

Sorry, Game Republic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess

Joke post? Please tell me it's a joke post, because otherwise you just put SH and Zelda in one bin, together with yet another complaint: "but this is not as good as Zelda" which is just a variation of "but it's not as good as Mario".

Rolf NB

LiquidMrM said:
I'm forwarding your resume to IGN. They're always looking for skilled critics like you.

LiquidMrM

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's nice you had to post the same post twice while quoting a big OP to troll this game. Bravo sir, Bravo.

I apologize for the the double post. An Op will hopefully take care of it as soon as possible so the thread can be kept clean/pleasant-reading to all. Can you elaborate about how i have been trolling the game? I just judge/post my overall opinion of presented gaming projects like most posters on this gaming site do.

LiquidMrM said:
I apologize for the the double post. An Op will hopefully take care of it as soon as possible so the thread can be kept clean/pleasant-reading to all. Can you elaborate about how i have been trolling the game? I just judge/post my overall opinion of presented gaming projects like most posters on this gaming site do.

I think your posts and demeanor speaks for itself. You "accidently" double posted 30 mins apart with other people posting in between the posts?

LiquidMrM

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I think your posts and demeanor speaks for itself. You "accidently" double posted 30 mins apart with other people posting in between the posts?

The double posts incident will be hopefully be taken care of as soon as possible by an administrator. demeanor? While english is not my primary spoken language,i googled the term demeanor and came up with 3 different kind of definitions of the word. Which one do you think, best described my attitude or behavior? : Definitions of 'demeanor' Princeton's WordNet

1. (noun) demeanor, demeanour, behavior, behaviour, conduct, deportment
(behavioral attributes) the way a person behaves toward other people

Definitions of 'demeanor'

1. (verb) demeanor
management; treatment; conduct

2. (verb) demeanor
behavior; deportment; carriage; bearing; mien

1. As far as i'm concerned, I've pretty stayed polite, well-carrying and well-mannered towards posters that i have felt and sensed same bits of incoming respecful/descent attitudes while, perhaps, not always agreeing about shared ideas/toughs about presented videogames on this gaming board, and that is, since my registration at Neogaf. Is it the way i perceive and judge video game projects that made you use the word demeanor towards me? I might have gotten carried away once, perhaps? imperfectness radiates off every being that are gracing/or ever graced in this vast, grand cosmos of ours. I've seen worst on here, sorry. Been there done that somehow.

LiquidMrM

Rolf NB said:
I'm forwarding your resume to IGN. They're always looking for skilled critics like you.
Well, thanks you for your psychological warfare, terrorist drivel-sounding-like insult! . See how i trashed and sorted the ugly piece of crap out of my way? My beloved Zeta greys are still lauging as hell.

DireStr8s

LiquidMrM said:
Well, thanks you for your psychological warfare, terrorist drivel-sounding-like insult! . See how i trashed and sorted the ugly piece of crap out of my way? My beloved Zeta greys are still lauging as hell.

a beautiful mind

LiquidMrM

DarknessTear said:
Who let this LiquidMrM retard on GAF?

Who are you and what have you done/accomplished thus far in life? Do you think, by going on commenting your childish insult thrown at me ( A being you know know jack about) , entitled to any, hightly-respected position in any possible field one can think of in the cosmos you live in? Your karma and luck must be like...sh!t, retard? Go away. See how easy it? as i know jack about out you either! so Fyck you and go to hell. Come back when grown up.

You should look up "Turd" in the dictionary.

Here is the usage of turd in a sentence:

The poster on NeoGAF known as LiquidMrM is a turd.

Finaika

I'm going out later & seriously thinking of getting this. Is it somewhat as good as Folklore, as I love that game.

LiquidMrM said:
Who are you and what have you done/accomplished thus far in life? Do you think, by going on commenting your childish insult thrown at me ( A being you know know jack about) , entitled to any, hightly-respected position in any possible field one can think of in the cosmos you live in? Your karma and luck must be like...sh!t, retard? Go away. See how easy it? as i know jack about out you either! so Fyck you and go to hell. Come back when grown up.

Damn. Sounds like a new, longer version of "And your contribution to society is...what?".

I watched the Quick Look of this on Giant Bomb, and ignoring some of Brad's snarky remarks, I thought it looked like an interesting title. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

Finaika said:
I'm going out later & seriously thinking of getting this. Is it somewhat as good as Folklore, as I love that game.

It's made by the same people, altho those who have played both have said its not quite as good as Folklore.

Have to admit I think it looks like quite a charming title, very niche and is going to be totally ignored by the masses but I think this is definetly worth my time and cash.

DidntKnowJack said:
I watched the Quick Look of this on Giant Bomb, and ignoring some of Brad's snarky remarks, I thought it looked like an interesting title. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

Yeah the Giantbomb Quicklook was a bit odd, I got halfway through, then Brad's input started to grate on me so I gave up.

DidntKnowJack said:
Damn. Sounds like a new, longer version of "And your contribution to society is...what?".

Well Jeff Bell could spell so...

Picked this game up and should be cracking it open soon, looks interesting enough from the art alone.

Ricker

Need some help with one of the last area you open up and the bloody tar on the ground...I need to break that seal but I can`t for the life of me figure out how to get up there and the stupid archers are getting on my nerves ;P ....guess i`ll go visit all the other area`s I been to since I have a new skill for the Majin,remembering some paths that where sealed off before...the game is awesome by the way,don`t forget to grab this little gem for your backlogs at least people,it`s a shame it`s being overlooked.

Seriously one of the most fun I've had in a game this year. I thought the demo was horse shit, but the full game is way better.

Does anybody know if there is a point of no return (no spoilers please)?

Also, is the bulk of the game just based around the initial map you see (it seems small)?

Ricker

canadian crowe said:
Seriously one of the most fun I've had in a game this year. I thought the demo was horse shit, but the full game is way better.

Does anybody know if there is a point of no return (no spoilers please)?

Also, is the bulk of the game just based around the initial map you see (it seems small)?

It`s bigger,some area`s don`t show on the map until you defeat a boss and unlock the seals...i`m near the end I think,well at least 2/3 in for sure but like I said,i`m stomped for now.

Finaika

I've just played the game for a while. It's quite awesome. The Majin's voice didn't even bother me, in fact I quite like it.

Finaika said:
I've just played the game for a while. It's quite awesome. The Majin's voice didn't even bother me, in fact I quite like it.

Majin's "Yay, that great!" gets me every time. I can't help but think I accomplished something.

I only just got this in the mail, took forever via one of those cheaply outsourced USPS/Fedex discount shipping agreements (limited tracking, apparent limbo status, etc) rather than the trackable and speedy UPS shipping Amazon usually employs.

Thus the long quiet after I said I decided to pick the game up. Will try to follow through with some impressions but my time for gameplay window has narrowed...I would have played it this past weekend...

Ledsen

KuroNeeko said:
That jingle was inspired by the game you're thinking of. It was one of the influences that Majin drew on during development. Also served as a cue to let you know when you'd accomplished something as sometimes it was hard to tell whether your actions had any meaning to them.

Just curious but did any of you find the
catapult puzzle
difficult to get through?

Are you working at Game Republic or just with them through the publisher or something? Also are you japanese? (just curious if we have some japanese developers here at GAF)

Top Bottom