• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99! [On Sale For $16]

canadian crowe said:
Seriously one of the most fun I've had in a game this year. I thought the demo was horse shit, but the full game is way better.

Does anybody know if there is a point of no return (no spoilers please)?

Also, is the bulk of the game just based around the initial map you see (it seems small)?

Nope, there's no point of no return.

Played 2 hours of the game last night and enjoy it very much. I like the upgrades, atmosphere, art style and "flair". Very refreshing game for this era of gaming. And :lol at the talking animals. I thought the main character was was high on some of the orbs when he first started talking to that rat.

Just got a chance to play for a couple of hours, right after the first real boss encounter and I must say...

What a treat this game is! It has a basic leveling system, simple/fun combat, responsive controls, platforming, and I love the ability to "play dress up", so it's a title with just about everything I ask for. I absolutely can't wait to play more.

Oh yeah, the Majin is a great oaf and the complaints about the voice acting seem a little off base. Maybe it takes a nose dive later but as of right now, everything seems super appropriate for the game. I laughed when I heard the Droopy sounding macaw.

Played some yesterday after all, planned on an hour, went to about three hours.

Having a very good time with it. As noted earlier I did not find the primary and story-line characters to have any problem with the voice acting. And the the boss
Caprakan
sounded like Crispin Freeman. The animal voices, though, yes they range from acceptable at best to well...that valley-girl sounding rat...yikes.

That out of the way, I dig everything else so far. The teamwork between the two mains has been well thought out and setpieces will likely prove quite memorable over the long term. There has been a lot of variety in a concentrated amount of time so far, from catapults to using doors to segment an otherwise intimidating mob, to decent stealth kills. The first major power-up
wind
has been well-integrated as a battle power, a long-distance "key" to some paths, and a hard-hitting boss-fight tool.

Looking forward to more soon.

i seriously doubt that i'll be able to force myself to finish this one.

after beating the first boss i feel like i've seen all the variety majin has to offer.

maybe i'm wrong, but still, it seems like a boring affair.

EXGN said:
Where is it on sale for $23?

nowhere right now. it was on sale at amazon. a mod needs to edit the thread title.

Ricker

FrostuTheNinja said:
Just got a chance to play for a couple of hours, right after the first real boss encounter and I must say...

What a treat this game is! It has a basic leveling system, simple/fun combat, responsive controls, platforming, and I love the ability to "play dress up", so it's a title with just about everything I ask for. I absolutely can't wait to play more.

Oh yeah, the Majin is a great oaf and the complaints about the voice acting seem a little off base. Maybe it takes a nose dive later but as of right now, everything seems super appropriate for the game. I laughed when I heard the Droopy sounding macaw.

I gets better as you progress...I love when you pluck the fruits the Majin loves to eat for example,he goes ooh,ahh,yummmm in anticipation of you giving it to him...they also occasionnaly break into a small victory dance together that`s funny.

4 Generals are down,on my way to the last area,i`ll look for every chest,fruit,power -ups that I missed on the way there,should be fun...17 hours in now,so it`s not a short game either.

Amazon finally sent me this game...two weeks later. I'm guessing a lot of people bought it during black friday because it took so long to restock :lol

Carnby

i beat the first boss and apparently that unlocked a path on the map, but i can not find it. does anyone have an idea where to go after the spider boss is defeated?

Anyone know if you get the ability to make it instantly be nighttime later? Kinda bored waiting for the sun to go down to get a memory shard.

Ricker

PhoenixSFT said:
Anyone know if you get the ability to make it instantly be nighttime later? Kinda bored waiting for the sun to go down to get a memory shard.

I don`t think so...just finished the game,I missed 3 memory shards and 2 Majin upgrades but I have a save just before heading into the last area so I might try and grab all of them...because of the ending I just saw,i`m wondering if getting all the treasures affects the ending...

Anyway,awesome little game,one my favorite this year...I have to find a spot for this one in a category,probably the most underlooked game of the year :lol ...I hope there is a sequel.

I'm going to get this game but I have to make it through finals week and beat Uncharted 2 first.

I really want it though. I loved the demo. Jealous of you all.

It's crazy.. i like this game a lot.. been playing about 9 hours and you cant even find a single FAQ on this game online.. NOBODY is playing it :lol in that sense it's even more of an adventure because you can't even be spoiled.. and the game isn't even bad *shrug*

Mollymauk

It's worth the $20 I paid. There's nothing exceptional about it, but it's enjoyable enough.

One of the things I enjoy most about it is the horrific voice acting. Majin sounds like Sloth and the animals are just terrible. Cracks me up.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
This game is really good. Super rough around the edges, and the voice acting is fucking dreadful, but I love the game.

Carnby

i got this on amazon when it was 23 dollars. i am on the verge of beating the game. i would say this is an average game overall. my main complaint about this game is that the challenge was obviously designed for children. being an adult makes this game a little difficult to get into. why didn't gaf warn me?

edit: and of course the voice acting is hilarious. my favorite so far is the rat saying, "what was the human food that i like so much? oh yes, it is called cheese. i do hope there will be more cheese after you save the kingdom." :lol

Maffis

I don' think there are any significant differences between the 2 versions.

I just picked up the PS3-version and I got to say, this game is very good. The voice acting is a tad annoying the graphics can be quite underwhelming sometimes (but it's mostly good thanks to it's beautiful art direction). The gameplay, however, is so relaxing to play and very fun. I definitely recommend this game, especially at a steal like <20 bucks.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Just completed the game. How is this so criminally underplayed on the NeoGAFz? It was awesome!

And so satisfying to have a meaty, 12 hour adventure.

bubnbob

Banned
My only gripe is having to wait ENDLESSLY for Night to come so I can grab the memory shards, but other than that, no extreme complaints.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
bubnbob said:
My only gripe is having to wait ENDLESSLY for Night to come so I can grab the memory shards, but other than that, no extreme complaints.

They only give you some shitty armour. Fuck em.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Canadian Amazon is still selling for $35, but US Amazon will ship it to me in Canada for $25 shipping/tax included. Ordered.

JohngPR

Got this in the mail from Amazon. After my game credit, I got the game for $6.99.

I'm a big Folklore fan so I'm looking forward to playing this.

Finally bought and played this over the weekend.

It's like one big zelda dungeon, with (despite some shitty texture work) gorgeous graphics/animation and super relaxing gameplay. Best sound effects/music in anything from 2010 as well. Voice acting is mostly shit though and yeah, having no control over the day/night cycle (at least at the point I'm at) is slightly annoying.

I can't believe more of GAF isn't all over this. I imagine there will be a few LTTP threads in the coming months. If you love the puzzle aspect of Zelda, Folklore and Ico I can guarantee you will love this game.

Keeping reading this thread as Foreskin Kingdom.

Must be a subconscious insecurity about not having one :p

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one, beaten.
Everdred said:
Read title as:
Majin and the Foreskin Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99!

Game seems interesting. Might check it out. Never heard of it until now.

Lard

Banned
Surprised this thread is so quiet, considering the price drop right before Christmas.

I thought a lot of people grabbed this because it was so cheap.

Is there anywhere in the game where your upgrades/powers are listed?

I remember seeing a "double jump" upgrade thing pop up but I have no idea how to do it.

I'm also pretty sure there's a special attack or two I haven't been using as well.

Ricker said:
Need some help with one of the last area you open up and the bloody tar on the ground...I need to break that seal but I can`t for the life of me figure out how to get up there and the stupid archers are getting on my nerves ;P ....guess i`ll go visit all the other area`s I been to since I have a new skill for the Majin,remembering some paths that where sealed off before...the game is awesome by the way,don`t forget to grab this little gem for your backlogs at least people,it`s a shame it`s being overlooked.

I know exactly what part you're talking about here...I tried to figure it out for quite awhile last night, any hints on what to do?

MiniDitka

Lard said:
Surprised this thread is so quiet, considering the price drop right before Christmas.

I thought a lot of people grabbed this because it was so cheap.
I haven't gotten around to playing it yet due to my large backlog of other games I got at the same time.Hoping to dive into it soon, just need to finish up a few games first.

Ricker

William Percy Nightstick said:
I know exactly what part you're talking about here...I tried to figure it out for quite awhile last night, any hints on what to do?

Just go out of the area a bit,near the switch or elevator,hop on it go up and there is an opening on one side that`s easily missed...that`s where you go in to kill the archers,or knock them down...

Tailzo

I bought it for a friend. I hope she likes it. She's a fan of adventure games like Alundra. She also likes magical animals / creatures.

Ricker said:
Just go out of the area a bit,near the switch or elevator,hop on it go up and there is an opening on one side that`s easily missed...that`s where you go in to kill the archers,or knock them down...

Thanks so much! That was exactly it, damn.

Beat this a couple days ago. Totally awesome...too bad there will probably never be a sequel. :(

No real complaints, other than questionable voice acting by the animals, lack of a basic combo for the main character and annoyingly slow character leveling, because you really need to grind if you want to max yourself out (not needed for actual game play since it's not too challenging, but for achievements and unlocking the full move set).

Not much replay value here, so I'm trading it in, but definitely one of the best games of last year, especially if you're into Zelda, ICO and Metroid.

RPGCrazied

_dementia said:
Just a head's up, it seems to be $14.99 this month at Gamestop.
I might just pick it up.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426119

Just did. :) What version is better? I loathe screen tearing, can I expect it in the PS3 version? The gametrailer review said this is a budget title, so I'm assuming I'll just have to deal with it.
-

Not to bump this thread again, whats up with the screen tearing in the PS3 version? -_- $15, so I guess I'll try and deal with it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Late to the fail

I bought this ( with Knights Contract )even that the demo was bad just for Folklore's sake,I wanted to like it,but *sigh* it's just not good.

First thing is this game is shit easy , children easy even,it treat you as a younger player, it hold your hand and tell you what you should do most of the times ,with no real challenge for your skills as a gamer,the "puzzles" are easy too and straight forward in your face like , the new abilities made this "problem" even worse, Also even when the game is T rated , but the story and the dialogue and difficulty and everything are for kids, it should be for E10.

Again the fighting , this is the very definition of poor and lazy design , in Folklore every Folks has it's unique attack that you really need , even the first Genji has good fighting system , here no they just said fuck it , lets streamline it for casuals/kids, hit dude then stupid auto combo him style, also it will be better if they moved Teotl or make it less overpowered, the healing ability is also lame and kill the tension difficulty, speaking of the Majin and abilities ,most of the new abilities are pointless

There no variety in locations ,you run in same looking places all the time ( forests,ruins,castle), sure it's normal things these days ( DA2) but after Folklore I wanted more from Game Republic art designers , wasted opportunity here maybe they wanted to go Team ICO style dunno but I didn't liked it, again I might be just got spoiled by Folklore greatness or something.

One of the things that sadness me is how unoriginal and uninteresting the characters design for the main guys and enemies were , again very unlike Folklore, Tepeu design is all over the place ,Teotl is ugly big turd like the trolls from fable,Toci is a generic anime medieval chick ,regular shadows and generals designs are meh, and the Creator of all purple is a joke,it's like they collected them from some many different games.

friendship shards to level up your friendship meter is stupid when the idea for the game is to be a friend with this abomination, it should level up naturally with the story and you actions not because of farming enemies, it's just dump and destroy the core concept of the entire game.

tech-wise , this game look very outdated, very PS2-ish look with bloom effect ( I know Japanese developers are still behind the tech but GR should be good )it's a mid first generation PS3/360 game , if this is the Folklore/Genji 2 Engine then they fucked it up completely since it look worse then these two games for some reasons, and the characters models are really bad compared to Folklore and Genji, way bad , not sure what in the hell happened, it seems like they wanted to save polygons or something, I don't want to say they are Xbox1 quality , but it's cheap.

the worse thing technically wasn't the old looking texture or lightning but the poor animations, they sucks big time, I don't care if this is low budget project , the running and walking animations are ridiculously bad the combo attack animation are especially bad , they are Tenchu Z/Way of the Samurai 3 level of bad,wake up GR.

Not sure if I should blame Game Republic for this disaster, or Namco Bandai, or myself for wanting something terrific like Folklore, but It's clear to me that Game Republic lost it.

Now time to go and play Knights Contract :(

Totobeni said:
Late to the fail

I bought this ( with Knights Contract )even that the demo was bad just for Folklore's sake,I wanted to like it,but *sigh* it's just not good.

First thing is this game is shit easy , children easy even,it treat you as a younger player, it hold your hand and tell you what you should do most of the times ,with no real challenge for your skills as a gamer,the "puzzles" are easy too and straight forward in your face like , the new abilities made this "problem" even worse, Also even when the game is T rated , but the story and the dialogue and difficulty and everything are for kids, it should be for E10.

Again the fighting , this is the very definition of poor and lazy design , in Folklore every Folks has it's unique attack that you really need , even the first Genji has good fighting system , here no they just said fuck it , lets streamline it for casuals/kids, hit dude then stupid auto combo him style, also it will be better if they moved Teotl or make it less overpowered, the healing ability is also lame and kill the tension difficulty, speaking of the Majin and abilities ,most of the new abilities are pointless

There no variety in locations ,you run in same looking places all the time ( forests,ruins,castle), sure it's normal things these days ( DA2) but after Folklore I wanted more from Game Republic art designers , wasted opportunity here maybe they wanted to go Team ICO style dunno but I didn't liked it, again I might be just got spoiled by Folklore greatness or something.

One of the things that sadness me is how unoriginal and uninteresting the characters design for the main guys and enemies were , again very unlike Folklore, Tepeu design is all over the place ,Teotl is ugly big turd like the trolls from fable,Toci is a generic anime medieval chick ,regular shadows and generals designs are meh, and the Creator of all purple is a joke,it's like they collected them from some many different games.

friendship shards to level up your friendship meter is stupid when the idea for the game is to be a friend with this abomination, it should level up naturally with the story and you actions not because of farming enemies, it's just dump and destroy the core concept of the entire game.

tech-wise , this game look very outdated, very PS2-ish look with bloom effect ( I know Japanese developers are still behind the tech but GR should be good )it's a mid first generation PS3/360 game , if this is the Folklore/Genji 2 Engine then they fucked it up completely since it look worse then these two games for some reasons, and the characters models are really bad compared to Folklore and Genji, way bad , not sure what in the hell happened, it seems like they wanted to save polygons or something, I don't want to say they are Xbox1 quality , but it's cheap.

the worse thing technically wasn't the old looking texture or lightning but the poor animations, they sucks big time, I don't care if this is low budget project , the running and walking animations are ridiculously bad the combo attack animation are especially bad , they are Tenchu Z/Way of the Samurai 3 level of bad,wake up GR.

Not sure if I should blame Game Republic for this disaster, or Namco Bandai, or myself for wanting something terrific like Folklore, but It's clear to me that Game Republic lost it.

Now time to go and play Knights Contract :(

So did you like it?

Top Bottom