• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom |OT| Now it's $39.99! [On Sale For $16]

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Amazon shipped my copy yesterday. I was quite surprised to see that they only charged me $40. I'm pretty sure it was higher when I originally preordered it. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
sorry Game Republic but the demo bored me To death.

I loved Folklore , I think it's the most underated game this gen , it was very unique and the story was very good with awesome secrets and twists.

I really want to support GameRepuplic ( I was hyped for the trailers ) but the demo was just junk and killed the game for me , and unlike Folklore demo there was nothing interesting , and also unlike Folklore the music , animations , characters model were all bad.

oh well , I hope Game Republic survive.

Jubbly

New email from Namco UK PR announcing a Friday release included this: "The game will mainly be available from HMV and Game but with limited numbers available elsewhere, including Amazon and Play."

Unusual to say the least.

Psy-Phi

Too cheap to ignore. I was interested in it anyway, but at $23 I can't say no. Normally I wait for games to hit $30 so this is crazy amazing. Just hope it's good...looks good (if a bit too "kiddy" with the way the Majin speaks, but I think I could do with some kiddy after playing Shank today :p).

Wasn't sure which version to go with, after Enslaved...I went for the 360 one. Hoping that I didn't get the "lesser" version this time.

KuroNeeko

Caspel said:
My colleague had the same opinion many others in this thread had to say about the Majin's voice-acting

GameZone review: 7/10

It's too bad because that wasn't the original direction the team wanted to take him in. Focus testing on behalf of the publisher suggested that a less threatening, "cuter" Majin would be more appealing for western audiences. The original Majin was like some ancient unearthed Titan - bad assed and ready to wreck havok - but focus testers had a hard time telling if he was a "good" guy or a "bad" guy so the old "Nice Guy" approach was taken.

It wasn't an extremely popular decision, but it eventually grew on the team. I know more than a few people were doubtful on how it would turn out.

Animal voice acting was done toward the end of the production cycle. I tried to get more animal-like voices put in the game but, again, that was handled through the publisher.

This looks so interesting, but I already got a ton of games to play :eek: will have to buy later.

I hope I don't forget about it, because it looks very cool!

Raife

KuroNeeko said:
The original Majin was like some ancient unearthed Titan - bad assed and ready to wreck havok

This sounds like it would have been awesome. I bought it and will play it imagining the Majin to be badass and deadly.:lol

Going to be a christmas present from one of my siblings as long as it goes down in price further and I clear my rather large backlog.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So no better version?

when you don't know , always go for the 360 version , it's just the safe bet. ( when it's not better than the PS3 version it will be decent and not be super shitty port)

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, how bad does a PS3/X360 game have to be for it to be down to $23 on release week.

It's tempting, but on the other hand at that price it's probably not a game worth playing.

Poetic

Destructoid gave it a 9.5 and the rest of the reviews were in the 7-8 range. Can't be that bad. Worth $23 imo.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Bebpo said:
Wow, how bad does a PS3/X360 game have to be for it to be down to $23 on release week.

It's tempting, but on the other hand at that price it's probably not a game worth playing.

yeah , and I think it has nothing to do with black friday week since it drooped from $60 to $40 before release then two days later to $20 , and I didn't bought with this price it because the demo is just awful , shame because I think Folklore is one of best 5 games on the PS3.(I still spiritually support Game Republic and wish them good luck)

Poetic said:
Destructoid gave it a 9.5

huh , I thought Destructoid is just a big joke site , they gave Shitley Premonition a 10 , Enslaved 9 and always trolling good games. :/

denomes

I hope Team ICO is paying attention to the criticisms regarding this game.

Don't get me wrong, I have absolute faith in Team ICO and I don't think this is necessarily a game of their caliber, but you have to admit that in core concept this game does share some similarities with The Last Guardian. At the very least they could avoid some potential missteps.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Bebpo said:

Last year, Left 4 Dead 2 was released and it was 50% off retail price from the word "go" until the end of the year. So, that's not really an indicator of the game's quality.

Ricker

Okay,I`m still indoors,in the area where the demo was but I really like it so far,I can`t wait to get outside,it should look awesome in the open...the music is great and the voice acting is fine...pleasantly surprised...

Maffis

Totobeni said:
yeah , and I think it has nothing to do with black friday week since it drooped from $60 to $40 before release then two days later to $20 , and I didn't bought with this price it because the demo is just awful , shame because I think Folklore is one of best 5 games on the PS3.(I still spiritually support Game Republic and wish them good luck)

huh , I thought Destructoid is just a big joke site , they gave Shitley Premonition a 10 , Enslaved 9 and always trolling good games. :/

I'm sorry but the demo isn't really the whole game you know. It's like the Castlevania demo. It showcases less than a percent of the full game.

RPGCrazied

Wow, that was a quick price drop! I don't know now... there is a reason its that cheap so soon, riddled with bugs? I thought the demo was okay, nothing to write home about, but the majin was annoying. Not only when he talks he sounds like barney the dinosaur, he has to talk so often. It would've been nice to turn his voice off, if only for the gameplay segments and not in the cutscenes.

Mejilan said:
Amazon shipped my copy yesterday. I was quite surprised to see that they only charged me $40. I'm pretty sure it was higher when I originally preordered it. :)

Boy you are going to be mad, its already $20. :p

Just beat the first boss and I'm having a great time so far. The locations are reasonably varied but feel consistent and connected. The world is Metroid like in that it's all one big place but with different locales and areas you might come across but can't access until you've destroyed a certain mask or gotten a certain power. Combat is simple but fun. I only have the Wind power so far but I'm looking forward to seeing how it and the others will be integrated into puzzles.

I haven't read any reviews so I didn't know about the different costumes you can equip for bonuses so that was a nice surprise. You even get them for the Majin, although I haven't found any yet.

Speaking of the Majin, he actually has grown on me. Poor little guy tripping over all the time, and I can hear him sneezing when I make him wait while I search out a lever or something. I can't see the relationship between the two characters changing though, they're pretty much best friends from the start.

Animal voice acting gets worse and worse. They have a lot of different terrible voices so I guess that's something?

If the game really does last 15 odd hours then I'm going to be incredibly happy. Unless it really nosedives part way through.

I saw this deal when it went up and then tried the demo. I liked it (I also own and have long liked liked the original PS2 Genji).

I had no problem with the "doofy" mannerisms and speech of the Majin in the demo. I see what they were going for there. Gameplay felt like a mix of Tomb Raider and having a permanent FFXII summon following you around with co-op attack functionality.

Still, backlog is so big right now it likely will be cheaper when/if I choose to pick it up some months from now. And despite the price drop the game is still available immediately for shipping and hasn't yet (as of this writing) gone into the usual "7 to 11 day" or "1-3 weeks" type delay status many deals fall into.

Again though, I did like what I sampled in the demo.

GcRayden

I really liked the demo so I ordered it today. Along with my $15 off any video game offer I got from Amazon for pre-ordering Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, I checked out with this game at 7.99 and being a prime member, I got 2 day shipping free! :D

Not bad for a game that was just released a few days ago.

Masamuna

I bought it release day and the $40 pricetag feels about right. At 20 its an absolute steal.

The only thing that hinders the experience are the animals. Their voices are sooooooo bad, which is more or less the opposite of the main cast AFAIK. Tepeu is fine and I warmed up to the Majin rather quickly. Hell, Troy Baker does a decent job for the first boss so it surprises me how much of a misstep the animals have been so far.

Graphically the game is....okay. Its not bad, but no envelopes are being pushed with this title. The sky looks meh but I just got Monster Hunter Tri so i'm a bit biased.

Gameplay is good, not much in terms of hiccups. Ladders give a teensy bit of trouble. The mild character customization is neat. Combat is enjoyable but a bit simple at times.

Whats cool is when Tepeu takes damage he starts to become covered in darkness from the legs up. When critical he literally looks like the creatures he's fighting. I'd of liked to see that implemented with the hud in a dead spacey kind of way.

Puzzles so far have been solid. Buy this game at $20. So worth it!

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Does anyone know if the US version will run on a JP 360 (ie is it region free)? I'd rather not wait a month and pay $90 for the NTSC-J version if I don't have to :lol

Ricker

Anyone reached the outside area`s yet?...i`m completly stomped now in a lot of places,not sure what to do and where to go...I need electricity for one area and I don`t have that yet,some other place there`s some bridges that need lowering but i`m like on the wrong side and I see no way to get across and the last place I tried,i couldn`t figure out what to do in there also and I couldn`t save it seems so the 45 minutes it took me to accomplish a few things in there I will probably have to redo all over... :lol

Shurs

I picked this up from Amazon on Thursday, though I don't know when I'll have the time to play it. Still, for $22, it seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Aklamarth

It's refreshing to see games like this being made when other developers work on games like "Warface" (seriously ?!!!!). I absolutely love the atmosphere of the game.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Aklamarth said:
It's refreshing to see games like this being made when other developers work on games like "Warface" (seriously ?!!!!). I absolutely love the atmosphere of the game.

military shooter games do sells and clearly millions of people do enjoy them , so why it's a sin to make another military shooter game?

and it's not like there is no other games from other genres at all in the market,actually there are niche products like this game that get released almost every month.

RyuHayate

I haven't even finished the demo, but I loved it enough to order it from Amazon.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but it's a real shame we don't see more games like this these days.

Ahh, why not... I just pulled the trigger on the 360 version while it is still $23. Having enjoyed the demo as noted previously, price is certainly right, and may even kick it up past the backlog queue to play when it gets here. Looking forward to it.

Top Bottom