• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

MAX PAYMENT

I'm like 9 hours in and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface. In terms of temples, it might be short (4), but there's so much quality content and stuff to do to compensate for that.

Thanks! Do you recommend saving the temples for last, or the side stuff?

Bit-Bit

The Gryo controls have made shooting the arrows to be the best thing ever. I actually got the high score on the Octorock mini game on my first try.

Neiteio

Not on bumpy cramped public transport they're not.

Or when you're lying down in bed or a couch.

Shit was annoying in OoT3D.
Fair enough. But when you're in a stable private environment, gyro can work wonders. I say this as someone who only discovered how well gyro works last night. Got near-perfect and then perfect scores in the town and swamp shooting galleries, on the first and second tries (for the quivers and heart pieces). And I absolutely destroyed Koume's target practice game where she flies through the swamp carrying targets. It's incredible how precise the gyro is with the most subtle movements. Makes me super-excited for the feature in Splatoon.

Blue-kun

I haven't played this game in forever, but there you go, for the first time ever I ran out of time before completing a temple, lol. Couldn't find one missing Stray Fairy in Great Bay Temple and I searched every little corner of it, plus my memory is failing me because I have absolutely no idea what I might've missed.

Kind of amazing, really! Guess I'll take a break and tackle it again a bit later, lol.

I haven't played this game in forever, but there you go, for the first time ever I ran out of time before completing a temple, lol. Couldn't find one missing Stray Fairy in Great Bay Temple and I searched every little corner of it, plus my memory is failing me because I have absolutely no idea what I might've missed.

Kind of amazing, really! Guess I'll take a break and tackle it again a bit later, lol.

Are you using the
Great Fairy Mask?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Thanks for the hints guys. There's tons of stuff that I've missed in the game. I must've been a sneaky cheat last time I played because I remember getting all 24 masks.

Treasure Chest lady likes Gorons, but she charges more?
What is this.

I knew that hint was a lie! My memory was going "No! That's false! Zora Link gets the cheapest prices, stop lying".

Also I gotta say, hunting for stray fairies is so much fun, it's a great mechanic and the rewards you get for finding them all all seem meaningful, especially dat
Instant Level 2 Spin Attack.

And the
Gilded Sword
looks so damn cool now, I think it's my favourite in the series. Playing Majora makes me worry a bit about Zelda U, Majora's overworld is pretty small, it really feels more like one of the portable entries in the series mainly because of how dense the world is, stuff to be found at every single corner.

Just started playing this yesterday (got my LE with figure delivered in the afternoon) and I'm really glad I played through OoT 3D first. I don't think I've ever played these two games back to back before, but Majora's Mask really does feel like a nice continuation of the story. I guess we are to assume Zelda gave Link the ocarina and taught him the Song of Time in that last scene where the two meet again after he goes back to his original time.

Also, I managed to do the Deku scrub mini game all three days on my first time through. That has always been a hard one for me to do in the original game and as a result, I don't think I've ever actually gotten all of the heart pieces in Majora's Mask. I'm going to try this time though (still concerned about the three day lovers mini games, and the clocktown shooting gallery game; those always gave me trouble).

Blue-kun

Are you using the
Great Fairy Mask?

Yes, of course. I'm not a newbie to this game or anything, but it was just some incredible mind fart where I probably missed one of the most obvious Fairies, lol. The more complicated ones I still had them vivid in my mind, so I reckon it was one of those IN YOUR FACE ones that escaped me, lol.

Of course, when I say every little corner of it I just meant I went through the whole dungeon. I couldn't ask spend a lot of time revisitng everything beacuse I started it a bit later, since I was greedy and thought "lol I got this". But then, in truth, what happened was that I got stuck for a good time after getting the first key, not noicing
you had to climb the red pipes
to get to the door in one room, haha.

Oh well, it's all fine. I'll just replay it in a while and finish it, probably! Just further proof that growing old makes you bad at games, seeing as I never had much trouble as a kid lol :V

atbigelow

Wish I had taken a screenshot, but I had the lighting on Tatl totally bug out the other day. Had to reboot the game for it to clear up. Instead of lighting up areas, there would be an opaque shadow on them. Almost made my head explode with 3D on.

It's amusing that most of the people being tripped up are those expecting to find certain things in the locations they remember them being in. I probably haven't played the game in 14 years, so the most I feel is a vague sense of unease (besides the more obvious changes), but it's still crazy how much everything came back to me as I played. I've never replayed the game, either.

Korosenai

So I just started playing this game and have a question about the 3 day cycle and the song of time.

If I don't play the song of time does the game just end, or is there a point where the game pauses and makes me play it?

ShadowOwl

So I just started playing this game and have a question about the 3 day cycle and the song of time.

If I don't play the song of time does the game just end, or is there a point where the game pauses and makes me play it?
You will see Clocktown getting crushed by the moon.
I recommend you to force that at least one time just to see it happen.
You lose all your progress for that last cycle but you can go back to your last save.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This just happened. I had to exit the game to make it stop.

The other day I was playing a minigame during the last 6 hours, and when I left the building the minigame music wouldn't stop. It was this upbeat happy gametimes tune playing while the world was falling apart all around me. I went out into Hyrule Field and it was still going, but it finally stopped after I was out there for a little bit. Some weird sticky-music bugs goin on here!

dock

Significantly better graphics
Better UI and menus
Better bombers notebook and quest management
Better boss battles, one is completely redesigned.
Improved save system
Better framerate
Various areas are slightly redesigned and improved
Two new fishing areas
You can actually use the final sword properly now as its not limited to a C-Button
Portable
Awesome, thanks!
It does look like hot garbage on the n64 version.

aravuus

Finished the first dungeon, got the mask of scents etc but I'm missing a couple of fairies and the third day's so goddamn close to ending

If I now play the song of time, what'll reset? The whole dungeon or only the fairies I've gotten already? Didn't really like this dungeon stuff that much so I'll probably skip the first fairy reward if I have to do this all over again

e: also what's this shiny plate thingie that appeared in the dungeon entrance? an optional boss or something?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Finished the first dungeon, got the mask of scents etc but I'm missing a couple of fairies and the third day's so goddamn close to ending

If I now play the song of time, what'll reset? The whole dungeon or only the fairies I've gotten already? Didn't really like this dungeon stuff that much so I'll probably skip the first fairy reward if I have to do this all over again

e: also what's this shiny plate thingie that appeared in the dungeon entrance? an optional boss or something?

It allows you to go directly to the boss, useful if you want to quickly get an area to a post-dungeon state. And fairies and the entire dungeon resets, but you should be able to get in, grab the fairies and get out fairly quickly.

The reward is totally worth it, you get
a doubled magic meter

royox

MOTHER OF GOD TWINMOLD.......OMFG.

I can't be the only one saying "Link SMASH" during that fight...I can't...

Everything resets, except for the map and compass. Boss Key is locked behind the miniboss again, but you don't need it. You can just run in, grab the fairies, and leave. You can even play the Song of Soaring to return to the entrance of any dungeon, making it a bit quicker to leave once you get the final fairy. Also don't forget about the
Great Fairy's Mask

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
One hour session - Finished the pirate fortress, did the sea snakes, got all the eggs and New Wave Bossa.

So satisfying when it's all done at once.

aravuus

It allows you to go directly to the boss, useful if you want to quickly get an area to a post-dungeon state. And fairies and the entire dungeon resets, but you should be able to get in, grab the fairies and get out fairly quickly.

The reward is totally worth it, you get
a doubled magic meter

Everything resets, except for the map and compass. Boss Key is locked behind the miniboss again, but you don't need it. You can just run in, grab the fairies, and leave. You can even play the Song of Soaring to return to the entrance of any dungeon, making it a bit quicker to leave once you get the final fairy. Also don't forget about the
Great Fairy's Mask

Thanks! Yeah, I barely made it, had to look up the last fairy's location online, and got the reward with like.. 1 or 2 in-game hours left. Phew. When it's time to tackle the next dungeon, I'll definitely remember to play the song of time before actually entering so I'll have as much as time to get the fairies as possible. Assuming it also has an owl statue right at the entrance.

I think I might like the dungeons a bit more if the time limit wasn't there but oh well, back to the fun stuff, which is helping the townspeople of course

Fair enough. But when you're in a stable private environment, gyro can work wonders. I say this as someone who only discovered how well gyro works last night. Got near-perfect and then perfect scores in the town and swamp shooting galleries, on the first and second tries (for the quivers and heart pieces). And I absolutely destroyed Koume's target practice game where she flies through the swamp carrying targets. It's incredible how precise the gyro is with the most subtle movements. Makes me super-excited for the feature in Splatoon.

Gyro controls are good if you're bad at manually aiming, I guess. I turned them off immediately.

Neiteio

MOTHER OF GOD TWINMOLD.......OMFG.

I can't be the only one saying "Link SMASH" during that fight...I can't...
Man, can't wait to see Twinmold. Everyone says that fight is amazing now. And I wonder how the Stone Tower Temple holds up? Still one of the best dungeons in the series, especially now that the boss fight is improved?

Neiteio

Gyro controls are good if you're bad at manually aiming, I guess. I turned them off immediately.
I'm fine at manually aiming, but with gyro I'm incredible. I hit every target in the Swamp Shooting Gallery with like 30 seconds to spare... On my first try. I couldn't believe how fast I absolutely destroyed that game with gyro — watching the clock run down after I hit every target was amazing. Likewise, I hit Koume's targets in the swamp ride the instant she spawned them. It's physically impossible for analog aiming to compete with the speed and accuracy of gyro, similar to KBM vs. analog or IR vs. analog in a shooter.

It's really breathed new life into all of these shooting minigames. Likewise with the c-stick for the racing minigames. During the Deku Shrine race, I was literally touching the Butler for nearly the entire race, only becoming separated when I had to hit the switch to lower the flames. Since I no longer need to reorient the camera with L at each 90-degree turn, it was seamless progression, the c-stick allowing me to smoothly navigate the maze.

I'm seriously impressed by how this game not only looks better than ever, but it plays better than ever, too.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

You're crazy dude. It's not just that gyro aiming makes anyone (including you) immediately 400% better at fine aiming, it just feels so immediate and wonderful that you can't help but wonder "why in the holy hell would I ever try to move a cursor with a friggin stick." I feel like a caveman trying to aim with the stick now. It's fine for getting the cursor in the general location for things and centering, which I still use it for plenty, but when you're quickly moving from target to target, or tracking a target, or generally just trying to get the cursor on something, it's magical.

I'm fine at manually aiming, but with gyro I'm incredible. I hit every target in the Swamp Shooting Gallery with like 30 seconds to spare... On my first try. I couldn't believe how fast I absolutely destroyed that game with gyro — watching the clock run down after I hit every target was amazing. Likewise, I hit Koume's targets in the swamp ride the instant she spawned them. It's physically impossible for analog aiming to compete with the speed and accuracy of gyro, similar to KBM vs. analog or IR vs. analog in a shooter.

It's really breathed new life into all of these shooting minigames. Likewise with the c-stick for the racing minigames. During the Deku Shrine race, I was literally touching the Butler for nearly the entire race, only becoming separated when I had to hit the switch to lower the flames. Since I no longer need to reorient the camera with L at each 90-degree turn, it was seamless progression, the c-stick allowing me to smoothly navigate the maze.

I'm seriously impressed by how this game not only looks better than ever, but it plays better than ever, too.

Yeah, I blazed through the Swamp Gallery too, but without gyro. It's all anecdotal evidence which just leads back to preferences. I'm more comfortable with manual, and you are with gyro.

And the Shrine Race is easy with or without camera controls. Slap the Bunny Hood on and you don't need to worry about anything.

Edzi

Well...disappointed with the final battle

in that every other boss was vastly improved from the original, yet Majoras battle was the same. they should have added an extra form or something!!

Also, wasn't expecting the Zora moon dungeon to be changed...although it makes sense. It was stupid as hell before. I have to go back at some point as I missed the heart piece though, doh

Anyhow...just gotta get the heart pieces now, then im done.

THANK GOD. Man, I'm so relieved they at least left that fight alone. On one hand, I think an improvement would have been to change the attack patterns and difficulty if you wore the Fierce Deity's Mask, but the risk of them changing something that bothered me was too high, so I'm glad they just left it mostly alone.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I sucked at the UFO event in the N64 version, to the point I gave up on the event for the longest time. With gyro aiming, no issues whatsoever. As with OOT 3D, gyro aiming's definitely one of the best improvements.

ASIS

Yeah, I blazed through the Swamp Gallery too, but without gyro. It's all anecdotal evidence which just leads back to preferences. I'm more comfortable with manual, and you are with gyro.

And the Shrine Race is easy with or without camera controls. Slap the Bunny Hood on and you don't need to worry about anything.

"if you are bad at manual control" is not a preferential statement though. What you said is falsified with anecdotal evidence which is exactly what Neiteio did. But yeah manual aiming is fine.

I sucked at the UFO event in the N64 version, to the point I gave up on the event for the longest time. With gyro aiming, no issues whatsoever. As with OOT 3D, gyro aiming's definitely one of the best improvements.

You don't even need any aiming for that mission though. Just run up with the Bunny Hood and L-Target.

Roto13

Exactly. I got like 50 hits in the boat tour shooting minigame. You only need 20 to win.

It's just objectively more accurate to be able to directly control position instead of the speed at which the crosshairs move.

Exactly. I got like 50 hits in the boat tour shooting minigame. You only need 20 to win.

It's just objectively more accurate to be able to directly control position instead of the speed at which the crosshairs move.

It's not hard to get that high a score no matter what aiming you're using though. Getting 50 hits with gyro isn't exactly an accomplishment over manual.

This is the pad/stick debate all over again, and even in those debates, it comes down to preferences.

first you have to put the Baby Goron to sleep so you can light the torches so you can get the meat from the chandelier which you can give to the starving Goron for the mask.

whoa whoa whoa, you mean to tell me you didn't do that while you were there the first time? What a deku scrub. Even when I FIRST played this game I was curious enough to light the torches.

Top Bottom