• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

SummitAve

Banned
Finally picked this up the other day and got started. I'm nearly to the boss of the Swamp and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Are you expected to use the Song of Slow Time? I have been, but if it's just supposed to be an easy mode button, then I'll stop.

I just use it as needed. You want time to pass for things to happen so having it on all the time isn't very beneficial. At the start of a dungeon or something? Sure.

Crayolan

Finally picked this up the other day and got started. I'm nearly to the boss of the Swamp and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Are you expected to use the Song of Slow Time? I have been, but if it's just supposed to be an easy mode button, then I'll stop.

You're expected to use the slowed time. I've 100%'d the game a handful of times and still use it.

Rich!

Its not an easy mode button, its a "actually manage to finish the dungeon in one go rather than two" button

I just use it as needed. You want time to pass for things to happen so having it on all the time isn't very beneficial. At the start of a dungeon or something? Sure.

You're expected to use the slowed time. I've 100%'d the game a handful of times and still use it.

Its not an easy mode button, its a "actually manage to finish the dungeon in one go rather than two" button

Cool, thanks for the answers!

Neiteio

I think it would've been interesting if there was a post-game Hard Mode where time passes twice as fast and you can't slow it down. I wonder if it'd still be possible to beat.

Roto13

Just got the Gibdo Mask and I don't remember exactly what the next step is. (I'm not looking for help. :p) Going to take this opportunity to knock out a bunch of side quests. It's nice that the Bombers now give you hints so undone side quests end up recorded in your notebook.
But isn't that basically easy mode :p ...given everyone was so panicy about preserving the "pressure"? :p

That was just the regular internet nonsense that happens every time anything is changed. Ignore that. (Slowing down time actually makes it less slow than it used to anyway.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The "there might be another shooting gallery in the Swamp" clue is still in the notebook, even after I won the heart piece from the witch. Am I missing something?

Some thoughts on the 3DS version (played on the New 3DS XL) from a big fan of the original:
It's...really good!
surprise
I was worried about some of the changes, but they turned out well in the end.
Deku Scrub's spin attack's momentum is a slight disappointment, but he feels better this time around so that's ok. He has some cute animations added in like when he has the shield up and when an enemy is nearby. Also, it feels like his spin attack is more effective.
Goron Link is pretty much exactly the same, the change is done to make the C-stick accessible while controlling the rolling link, and it works well in that regard.
They....well, kind of fucked up Zora Link. He's worse in almost every way. Swimming sucks now when I used to adore it on OG release and everything that requires using him feels worse in this game (he was my favorite in MM) so that's a shame. The worst change by far.
I like that they changed up the bosses in the game, usually for the best. They are closely tied to Majora himself now, which is a neat touch. The only bad one (again) is because of Zora Link.
The Twinmold fight is too good, probably one of the best boss fights in the entire franchise now.
I am a bit disappointed that Majora didn't change at all though. The fight is identical to the original release.
The bomber's notebook is a great change as well. I never used it in the original release, but it's super helpful now. Makes you feel like your making progress now.
The bomber kids giving you hints is great too, especially since it's optional.
The rest of the changes are the same as OoT 3D. Touch screen and gyroscope are fantastic additions, map always being there is helpful. Looks great, some of the best visuals on the system (despite some weird slow down)
The game doesn't feel like it was made with the 3DS in mind. No performance boost, no texture upgrades, ZR/ZL are useless (could've been mapped to the two extra item slots, tbh), and the C-stick allows the camera to clips through most things. A shame, really, seeing how long the remake/port took.
Great game though, best version of one of my favorites.
Wish it did more, like a mirrored hero mode or being able to play as Kafei (even if it's just a visual change)
but the base of Majora's Mask is still a fantastic experience.
It makes me want to re-experience this game for the first time, though. I knew it by heart. I've seen all the scenes, heard all the stories.
I hope Nintendo makes something like this again someday

Neiteio

The "there might be another shooting gallery in the Swamp" clue is still in the notebook, even after I won the heart piece from the witch. Am I missing something?
It says "another," as in, "There's more than one swamp shooting gallery."

Beat Odolwa again and try talking to everyone you meet in the swamp

Roto13

I beat the Deku Scrub Playground for the first time ever. I never really bothered to try it. For some reason, I was under the impression that it was really tough.

Molemitts

I didn't find the Deku playground that hard, the second day (I think) took me a few tries but I didn't even use the R button, what does that do? Am I just really good at video games, or what? Ha ha ha, I know.

My enjoyment for this game just went from 'Awesome' to 'Why?'.

Why did they have to change the swimming with Zora Link? It just felt so fantastic. Now Zora link feels much less useful and practical than he used to be.

Neiteio

Why did they have to change the swimming with Zora Link? It just felt so fantastic. Now Zora link feels much less useful and practical than he used to be.
You won't believe me, but I felt the same way at first, and now I actually prefer the new swimming... Well, I prefer it everywhere except Great Bay itself. It's true that freewheeling through the ocean is no longer the joyous release it once was, but the changes to the swimming make Great Bay Temple, the Pirate Fortress and Pinnacle Rock, Stone Tower Temple, and scoping out fish in the two fishing holes much less frustrating. In fact, Great Bay Temple is one of my favorite dungeons now, and I think this is largely due to how much easier it is to navigate with the new swimming. :)

You won't believe me, but I felt the same way at first, and now I actually prefer the new swimming... Well, I prefer it everywhere except Great Bay itself. It's true that freewheeling through the ocean is no longer the joyous release it once was, but the changes to the swimming make Great Bay Temple, the Pirate Fortress and Pinnacle Rock, Stone Tower Temple, and scoping out fish in the two fishing holes much less frustrating. In fact, Great Bay Temple is one of my favorite dungeons now, and I think this is largely due to how much easier it is to navigate with the new swimming. :)

There should've been a way to keep both methods. Maybe double-tapping means swimming fast, pressing once means swimming slow, and holding R means swimming fast with shield.

Why did this game get so much more changes compared to OoT? Is OoT considered too sacred while this is considered at Nintendo the black-sheep of Zelda? :(

Inded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tsu5kbcn7k

(Or just the 3rd day) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yyTmaifEzs

If you look through the telescope after the clock tower opens on the third day, you will see him floating above the tower, casting his spell on the moon

I thought my game was broken or something, or the Skull Kid model was glitching. I never knew he was supposed to just tweak out staring at you on third day. I thought he always did his neener-neener butt smack to you.

Neiteio

There should've been a way to keep both methods. Maybe double-tapping means swimming fast, pressing once means swimming slow, and holding R means swimming fast with shield.

Why did this game get so much more changes compared to OoT? Is OoT considered too sacred while this is considered at Nintendo the black-sheep of Zelda? :(
To be fair, all of the other changes to MM are really nice

Neiteio

Click here to check out the huge update to the fishing thread -- I added pictures of all 24 types of fish, including boss fish, courtesy of GAF user Semajer. It's a handy visual reference for when you dive into the pond as Zora Link to see if the fish you want have spawned. :-D

Wait did swimming used to be fun in the original or something? Because I hate it.
Well, depends on the situation. When in the ocean, swimming was more fun in the original, like a jetfighter underwater. When in dungeons and such, it's much more fun in the remake since you're not constantly slamming into walls.

If you want to see what swimming was like in the original, swim around in the remake while holding R. That's how it was by default, and it didn't use magic in the original.

Timeaisis

It was as fast by default as it is now when you're using magic. That's the only difference. People hate that you have to use magic to get the fast swimming back.

Well, I like the fast swimming but hate the magic for sure. But I dunno if I would have wanted fast swimming all the time, especially for the dungeon.

The beaver mini-game is atrocious with the magic meter. It is so unfun. Which is a shame, because it would've been awesome if you didn't have to worry about collecting pots and running out of magic.

Neiteio

Well, I like the fast swimming but hate the magic for sure. But I dunno if I would have wanted fast swimming all the time, especially for the dungeon.

The beaver mini-game is atrocious with the magic meter. It is so unfun. Which is a shame, because it would've been awesome if you didn't have to worry about collecting pots and running out of magic.
You can totally beat the beaver game using magic only a fraction of the time. In fact, you might only need to use magic a fraction of the time. I never had to refuel, and I got both the Bottle and the Piece of Heart. Just focus on the rings and don't worry about how close the beavers are.

To be fair, all of the other changes to MM are really nice

I'd say the additions are nice, like the controls, the ability to fast-forward to specific points, bombers-notebook being updated, the save statues etc. However, changes like how south clock-town looks completely different, just feels unnecessary.

Neiteio

I'd say the additions are nice, like the controls, the ability to fast-forward to specific points, bombers-notebook being updated, the save statues etc. However, changes like how south clock-town looks completely different, just feels unnecessary.
It doesn't look completely different. They just added a clearing behind the clock tower so you can warp in, grab your money from the newly relocated bank, and warp out. It's a good change, IMO.

I don't like how south clock town part is now more symmetrical instead of how it looked in the original. I liked how the stair case part was different compared to the otherside. Now they are both similar. It isn't a huge deal but something that just threw me off. I guess they wanted you to be able to get up on top on both sides instead.

The Boat

This doesn't make any sense. I get that some people miss freely swimming fast, but from a practical point of view, the new controls are indisputably superior.
Where before it was nearly impossible to swim precisely, now it's super easy. Going fast is more limited, but it's also more balanced, just like Goron Link and regular Link, if you want to go fast, there's a price for it and that price is magic, which also makes magic much more useful.
Swimming fast is fun, but unless you spend ages swimming around in the bay, there aren't any long stretches where you need or even can swim fast for a long time.
The beaver race is also more challenging, which is something people here usually seem to appreciate.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I gotta say I'm pretty bummed about the new swimming, if only because I figured they'd fill the bay with easy ways to get magic back, like when you roll in termina field as goron Link. But nope, no magic. Extremely easy to consume your entire bar any time you try to get anywhere fast. Preeeetty dumb.

No they aren't.

They are superior in the dungeon at least, it's much easier to control and there's really no reason to use Zora swim in the dungeon anyway. I was also annoyed when I first tried the new swimming but I got used to it after a while.

Having said that I would've liked Zora swim to be optional somehow without the use of magic.

They are superior in the dungeon at least, it's much easier to control and there's really no reason to use Zora swim in the dungeon anyway. I was also annoyed when I first tried the new swimming but I got used to it after a while.

Having said that I would've liked Zora swim to be optional somehow without the use of magic.

It's not superior in the dungeon, it's just more frustrating. I'm only glad I drank Chateau Romani before the dungeon so I didn't have to deal with my magic bar while I swam the better way.

Neiteio

Here's a fun challenge — THE AMAZING RACE.

The game: How much can you squeeze into a single 72-hour cycle?

I did the following before fighting Majora (and I'll spoiler-tag it this time, just in case):

DAY 1:

- Buy a Powder Keg to visit the ranch and train with Romani
- Defeat Odolwa to restore Woodfall and save the chimp
- Race against the Deku Butler at the Deku Shrine
- In the afternoon, begin Anju-Kafei sidequest (~3 p.m.)
- Settle the dispute at the mayor's office
- Defeat Goht, restore spring to mountains
- Open Goron Racetrack with another Powder Keg
- Defeat Gyorg to restore Great Bay
- Rehearse with the Indigo-Go's
- Continue the quest with the Anju meeting that night.
- Dance with the Rosa Sisters
- Go to Romani Ranch and stop the invasion

DAY 2:

- Talk to Cremia and agree to go on wagon ride
- Help the cucco chicks grow up at Romani Ranch
- Defeat Twinmold to heal the spirits of Ikana Valley
- Meet up with Kafei, then Anju, to continue Anju-Kafei sidequest
- Assist Cremia on her milk run
- Play Ballad of the Wind Fish at the Milk Bar

DAY 3:

- Get the Moon's Tear, help all five Business Scrubs
- Continue the Anju-Kafei sidequest, and help the postman
- Help Kafei retrieve what was stolen from him

There's still a fair bit of downtime, though. Large swathes of time on the Final Day. I could probably squeeze in a number of additions, including:

- Koume's target-shooting game
- The swamp and town galleries
- All three days of Deku Playground
- All three days of Honey & Darling
- Racing the Gorons for gold dust
- Racing the Gorman Bros.
- Racing the Beaver Bros.
- Delivering milk to Gorman
- Winning the Doggy Race
- Fighting Captain Keeta
- Clearing out the three graves
- Fighting Igos du Ikana
- Maybe save all the Zora eggs??

I know there's even more that could be attempted. But I wonder how many events one can complete in a single 72-hour cycle.

It's not superior in the dungeon, it's just more frustrating. I'm only glad I drank Chateau Romani before the dungeon so I didn't have to deal with my magic bar while I swam the better way.

Well, if having more control of swimming in tight places is frustrating to you then drink all the Chateau Romani you need lol

^ yeah the slowing time song was in the original, slowed time for a bit longer too if I'm not mistaken
---

Finally returned to the game in order to tackle the Great Bay Temple.
Last time I played the game this one stuck out to me as my favourite, it's still solid though for some reason I cannot begin to understand I enjoyed Snowhead enough to put these on a similar level, I have Zero consistency in my thoughts on this games dungeons.
Maybe I'll be back to liking Stone Tower the most by the end of it.

Back to Great Bay's Temple, I'm thinking this one has the best fairy placement thus far, some of the ones in chests feel particularly like optional puzzle challenges more so than previous temples where they're mostly scattered around, it's like having extra puzzles on top of your mandatory ones adding another layer to the dungeon design.
Gyorg was a bit odd, like I'm not sure if that was better or worse, I actually almost ran out of health which is actually kinda nice.
I think it's clear that the Zora swimming changes were mainly made for this dungeon as we mostly assumed, feels slow in the overworld and smooth in the dungeon, I still think a toggle option would be preferable, the magic effect managed to make the Beaver race harder to navigate for me at points.

Just starting up my favourite segment of the game now, I love Ikana Valley's grim atmosphere and the Castle sub dungeon.
I get the feeling that the N64 Zelda titles have a more noticeably strong occult vibe going on in parts of the game to the rest of the series ghostly goings on, while other Zelda games have their redeads and spooky tropes they never quite hit the mark that the N64 duo struck which I love, hopefully the next Zelda is all for ominous hooded chaps with wooden sticks running poe shops.

Edzi

This doesn't make any sense. I get that some people miss freely swimming fast, but from a practical point of view, the new controls are indisputably superior.
Where before it was nearly impossible to swim precisely, now it's super easy. Going fast is more limited, but it's also more balanced, just like Goron Link and regular Link, if you want to go fast, there's a price for it and that price is magic, which also makes magic much more useful.
Swimming fast is fun, but unless you spend ages swimming around in the bay, there aren't any long stretches where you need or even can swim fast for a long time.
The beaver race is also more challenging, which is something people here usually seem to appreciate.

Pfft, come on. It's not "indisputably superior", you just happen to like it more for whatever reason. It was an unnecessary change, but if they HAD to do it, then there's no reason why they couldn't have just added some kind of swim speed toggle so you could use the old swim speed without magic. Instead, they inexplicably decided to just restrict your movement by tying it to magic (which is a big no no in my book, since movement is extremely important in most games). Also, so what if the beaver race is more challenging with the change? You could just argue that the old swimming made the dungeon more challenging, since you had to be very deliberate with your speed bursts... But saying more challenging = better doesn't really work, since a lot of people consider it less fun which is what ultimately matters most (not unnecessary and arbitrary difficulty).

Okay, I never knew you could instantly warp to the boss after initiating the battle and dying.

Just replayed the Great Bay Temple and was pleased I could go straight to Gyorg without activating all the water switches again. Phew...

But dang, the second phase of the boss is still so awkward : /

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
BTW, since there seems to still be some question, I timed 30 in-game minutes at normal and slow time. Slow is twice as slow, not three. One full cycle goes from one to two hours. Or a little less, there's some room for error since I can measure 30 minutes only so accurately. But it's definitely 2x, not 3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

They had a load of different ways to still integrate it. Easiest would be A to go into swim mode, double tap it for the fast swim.

Even when you run out of magic it doesn't let you just quickly swim, it does a small burst and you have to mash it. Even the goron roll lets you keep up speed without magic.

It's a godawful change. Even with magic you now deal with the visual effect and camera pan out which makes it difficult to see and properly line up otherwise easy and cool stuff like dolphin diving onto the floor right before climbing the ladder to the research lab. And without magic, the swim areas are all way too big for the standard swim speed.

They had a load of different ways to still integrate it. Easiest would be A to go into swim mode, double tap it for the fast swim.

Even when you run out of magic it doesn't let you just quickly swim, it does a small burst and you have to mash it. Even the goron roll lets you keep up speed without magic.

It's a godawful change. Even with magic you now deal with the visual effect and camera pan out which makes it difficult to see and properly line up otherwise easy and cool stuff like dolphin diving onto the floor right before climbing the ladder to the research lab. And without magic, the swim areas are all way too big for the standard swim speed.

Yeah. I think the proper solution would've been a simple toggle, or double press as you mentioned. What a shame. I think it's the only con of the remake.

Top Bottom