• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Berordn

Beat the fourth temple with all fairies, got the reward, and deposited my rupees with under an hour left on the in-game clock :D this game gets really tense if you leave things until the last minute.

Did the same thing earlier when getting the piece of heart from the Beavers. I played the song at 25 minutes left.

Not that close but I wasn't going to lose out on that chunk of heart no sir.

braves01

Banned
Wait, are you saying you tried to swipe a Zora Egg but got a fish instead? Is that even possible?

And wouldn't you notice you got a fish when Link spins around says, "YOU GOT A FISH?"

I was just mashing A or something I guess...Anyways I noticed when I was dumping the eggs at the research lab. The exact words that went through my head when I noticed I had a fish instead of the egg was: "Are you kidding me!?" Needless to say, I was very careful when I went back, lol.

Neiteio

I pushed the clock to its limit doing the Frog Choir sidequest. I had completed Great Bay Temple, so I knew the Gekko was now a frog. I thought to myself, "Eh, do I really want to go back through there to get that frog?" So with less than a day left (iirc), I beat Goht again to bring spring to the mountains, then went to Woodfall for one frog, the swamp for another, Great Bay for its frog, and then the Laundry Pool for the last one. With the skies red and the moon about to crash, I conducted the choir with Don Gero's Mask and got one of the most complicated Heart Pieces in the game. :)

Roto13

I switched to my old regular 3DS so I could get some use out of my Circle Pad Pro. But I seem to be having trouble pulling off the quick spin attack on it for some reason.

I pushed the clock to its limit doing the Frog Choir sidequest. I had completed Great Bay Temple, so I knew the Gekko was now a frog. I thought to myself, "Eh, do I really want to go back through there to get that frog?" So with less than a day left (iirc), I beat Goht again to bring spring to the mountains, then went to Woodfall for one frog, the swamp for another, Great Bay for its frog, and then the Laundry Pool for the last one. With the skies red and the moon about to crash, I conducted the choir with Don Gero's Mask and got one of the most complicated Heart Pieces in the game. :)

I did that, plus the Gilded Sword quest, PLUS the Couple's Mask Quest, in the same cycle. In the end, I botched the very end of the Couple's Mask quest because I didn't know Sakon spawned so early, and I ended up running past him through the tunnel on the way to his hideout.

Weiss

Banned

I hated that sidequest. Way too much effort for a single heart piece.

Stoze

My story pushing the timer limit was doing swamp stuff + Woodfall dungeon + all stray faeries. After I finished, it was around 11pm on the last day. But hey, there's something I can do with the Butler now, lets try it;

I get to the Butler, the moon 6 minute timer starts, and I unknowingly walk into the maze. About 30 seconds in and I forgot when I last saved, the panic sets in. Cue me frantically going through the maze for the first time without bunny hood or goron mask, I'm even doing shit like l-targeting and sidehopping through in fear I wouldn't make it in time. I manage to pull it off perfectly with no missed jumps or hitting any dead ends, and still finished it with a couple minutes left on the Moon timer I believe. Feels good bros.

Later I come back to it just to explore it and see what I missed, and fuck up multiple times.

Timeaisis

I finished Great Bay Temple cutting it close, but had one fairy left to find. Went back in with 6 minutes left to scramble for him. Had to try a few times before I found him, for out with like two minutes to spare, and still had to grab the powder keg to get to the fountain. Close call...

Spikeboy

Neo Member
I like how the
Song of Healing makes things super dead if they're already dead. It's funny. (Don't know if that's a spoiler. Whatever.)

Also, (ending spoilers)
I noticed that even if you just skip the entire cycle and do the final boss, everything still happens as if Link actually bothered to do anything, despite him not doing so in the cycle that actually matters.
Does the Goddess of Time just insert all the "Link did nice things" back into the timeline right after he leaves?

Also, I made the same mistake of getting a fish instead of the Zora Egg, but that's only because I didn't bother to look at the icon!

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know? In think about it one of the biggest reason why I love Majora's Mask is because it
ends with a wedding... I like wedding, they're fun.

Probably why I like doing the Kafei and Anju side quest before heading off to face off against Skull Kid.

I also like it how when you look through the telescope over the three day you can see Skull Kid
slowly becoming corrupted by the Majora's Mask.
it's the little touches that makes this game so amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game and it doesn't get in the way that much, but am I the only one who has had lots of frame rate drops? In certain areas it definitely dips *very* noticeably, and I am playing on a new 3DS for what its worth. Any others experience this?

No, you're not the only one. The framerate is really weird in this game.

Stoze

No, you're not the only one. The framerate is really weird in this game.

With 3D on it drops occasionally, really only in spots with effects like fire or waterfalls. But it's pretty much rock solid with 3D off. That's how it was with OoT 3D for me as well.

braves01

Banned
With 3D on it drops occasionally, really only in spots with effects like fire or waterfalls. But it's pretty much rock solid with 3D off. That's how it was with OoT 3D for me as well.

I don't think OoT had drops nearly this bad or frequently, but it's been awhile since I've played it. I think it might just be a more visually taxing game than OoT.

Neiteio

I finished Great Bay Temple cutting it close, but had one fairy left to find. Went back in with 6 minutes left to scramble for him. Had to try a few times before I found him, for out with like two minutes to spare, and still had to grab the powder keg to get to the fountain. Close call...
You don't need a Powder Keg to enter the Great Bay Fairy Fountain. You can just use bombs (or in my case, I used the Blast Mask).

Glad to hear you made it, though! The increased defense is definitely worth it. Love seeing those white rings around each heart. :)

Neiteio

My story pushing the timer limit was doing swamp stuff + Woodfall dungeon + all stray faeries. After I finished, it was around 11pm on the last day. But hey, there's something I can do with the Butler now, lets try it;

I get to the Butler, the moon 6 minute timer starts, and I unknowingly walk into the maze. About 30 seconds in and I forgot when I last saved, the panic sets in. Cue me frantically going through the maze for the first time without bunny hood or goron mask, I'm even doing shit like l-targeting and sidehopping through in fear I wouldn't make it in time. I manage to pull it off perfectly with no missed jumps or hitting any dead ends, and still finished it with a couple minutes left on the Moon timer I believe. Feels good bros.

Later I come back to it just to explore it and see what I missed, and fuck up multiple times.
Oh man, I'm glad it worked out. Close calls like this are one reason why the new save system is so great. You can just save whenever you see a statue and continue on your way, pushing each cycle to the limit. It's oddly addictive trying to see how much you can squeeze into each 72 hours.

Stoze

Oh man, I'm glad it worked out. Close calls like this are one reason why the new save system is so great. You can just save whenever you see a statue and continue on your way, pushing each cycle to the limit. It's oddly addictive trying to see how much you can squeeze into each 72 hours.

Did the old system only save through Song of Time? If so I really like that change, mainly because of what you stated above, and because it probably would've killed my enjoyment of things like the Anju/Kafei questline, which I failed the very last part multiple times and wasn't that bad thanks to reseting from my save.

Crayolan

Im I the only one purposely not getting the gilded or razor sword? I find the Koriki sword way more badass/iconic, and the difficulty increase is welcome.

A "difficulty increase" in which late-game enemies simply become damage sponges is not really something I'd consider fun. But to each their own.

Roto13

Aren't you supposed to be able to get a room at the Stock Pot Inn by speaking to Anju after 2? I can never get it to work in this version.

Anth0ny

This game definitely gets tough if you're doing a 3 heart run, especially the boss battles. Just got to Stone Tower Temple, and I died quite a bit :)

Dinjoralo

I can't remember, didn't the Song of Inverse Time stay on permanently until you did the song again in the original, rather than having time go back to normal when you rewound in the remake?
I'm on my way to the second dungeon, and I'm constantly having this feeling that there's something I'm supposed I could be doing that I'm missing. That's the deal with having a crapload of sidequests, I guess.

Timeaisis

You don't need a Powder Keg to enter the Great Bay Fairy Fountain. You can just use bombs (or in my case, I used the Blast Mask).

Glad to hear you made it, though! The increased defense is definitely worth it. Love seeing those white rings around each heart. :)

Haha, it looked like a big rock.

Whatever, I got it. :)

Dimmle

Cleared the game with 15 hearts.

Damn, the ending always chokes me up. I love everything about it.

Goin' back in for the Hundo.

Neiteio

It's hard to imagine doing a three-heart run, because that would mean actively avoiding so many quests (since many quests give you Pieces of Heart). :)

Rich!

Its always amused me how the moon somehow manages to destroy the world in a firey explosion when its falling at such a slow speed

Its only the size of clock town too. So really, all that should have happened is it just lands on clock town and everyone who got out would be like "ah well, let's go live elsewhere"

Its always amused me how the moon somehow manages to destroy the world in a firey explosion when its falling at such a slow speed

Its only the size of clock town too. So really, all that should have happened is it just lands on clock town and everyone who got out would be like "ah well, let's go live elsewhere"

Maybe it's got craaaaazy mass :p

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The Elegy of Emptiness is so creepy.

I mean, the statues for the masks all show them dead. But the Link one is just this extremely unsettling smiling creep thing, what the hell is up with that?

It's not really a moon! It's probably some demonic entity of its own summoned by Majora like the four mask guardians.

Hey everyone! So I have been trying so hard to unlock the Keaton Mask but I am just so freaking stumped. I have quite a few hours already logged in the game but haven't really gotten too far.. I have the checkpoint at the first dungeon and have collected 8-9 heart pieces. I have 3 masks so far (Deku, Great Fairy, and Bremen [which I have no idea the use of, haha]). I remember seeing a post that one can obtain like 7 or more masks without even leaving the town so I have been running around trying to figure stuff out.

Well here I am, hours into the game and still no freaking idea how to get that bastard's Keaton mask. I have seen him walking about at mailboxes like once, and I have rang the bell to either be met with him briefly coming outside or not being inside his house. Can someone maybe spoiler a very light hint for me? Or if you think I should be able to get it without a hint, just tell me.

KarmaCow

Hey everyone! So I have been trying so hard to unlock the Keaton Mask but I am just so freaking stumped. I have quite a few hours already logged in the game but haven't really gotten too far.. I have the checkpoint at the first dungeon and have collected 8-9 heart pieces. I have 3 masks so far (Deku, Great Fairy, and Bremen [which I have no idea the use of, haha]). I remember seeing a post that one can obtain like 7 or more masks without even leaving the town so I have been running around trying to figure stuff out.

Well here I am, hours into the game and still no freaking idea how to get that bastard's Keaton mask. I have seen him walking about at mailboxes like once, and I have rang the bell to either be met with him briefly coming outside or not being inside his house. Can someone maybe spoiler a very light hint for me? Or if you think I should be able to get it without a hint, just tell me.

You need to talk to someone else to gain his trust.

You won't be able to get the Keaton mask till the third day. You should be focusing on Anju (the stockpot inn lady) and the Mayor's wife if you want the Keaton mask. Start on the first day.

Ants

I don't know if stuff about the original MM is ok here but I found this (purposely unoptimized) "speedrun" of MM classic to be really interesting. I consider myself to be someone who knows a lot about the OoT/MM engine and the glitches/bugs therein, and there was stuff here new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaDflIPG3f4

For those who already consider themselves to be familiar enough with MM to give it a pass, I think the best sell I can give is that halfway through the run, he unequips bombs permanently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ah man, they removed the Triforce symbols from the blocks in Stone Tower. I thought that was such a cool design.

They removed every single Triforce in the game. Even that weird inside out Triforce
1332264707-mm_fausse_triforce.jpg

It was cool and mysterious, why Nintendo, why? :(

Kamina

Golden Boy
Ah man, they removed the Triforce symbols from the blocks in Stone Tower. I thought that was such a cool design.
Well, subtract the theories based on removed triforces from all MM theories and left are less of these weird ideas.

Top Bottom