• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Ants

I definitely think there should be some way to fast swim without magic. I like the new swimming controls, I think they're very intuitive for navigating tight areas, and improve Great Bay Temple immensely.

But many swimming areas are wide open without many obstacles or tight navigational requirements. For these areas, it doesn't make sense to need to spend magic to move quickly through them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Just did the great bay temple and killed George... I honestly didn't like his second phase.

But yeah I agree with that faster swimming shouldn't have consumed magic that way both party are pleased.

I hated having to buy the Chateau Romani.

I wish I could map items to ZL and ZR. It feels like those buttons are completely wasted up there.

And I wish I could put on masks by just tapping them on the touch screen. Having to assign them to a button and then press the button seems two unnecessary steps.

I wish I could map items to ZL and ZR. It feels like those buttons are completely wasted up there.

And I wish I could put on masks by just tapping them on the touch screen. Having to assign them to a button and then press the button seems two unnecessary steps.
Yeah, seriously. There's like two more items slots and two more buttons, why isn't it mappable?

Did they not think about it or did they think people would press the buttons accidentally? Either way, every game should have more customisable controls.

Stoze

Hell, I just wish we could map items to the d-pad, seems like a complete waste that we couldn't. Every Zelda inventory/menu system feels worse after the beauty that was Windwaker HD's.

Neiteio

On my way to the real 100%:

All from the same three-day cycle:

m2j9r.jpg

y0juu.jpg

51ugo.jpg

tsujr.jpg

Boss music kicked in for each of them. Lord Chapu-Chapu, in particular, was ball-bustingly hard. Like, my thumb nearly fell off. He's like the Tower Knight of Majora's Mask.

The real Majora's Mask starts here.

Be sure to check out my fishing guide. For a surefire way to make rare fish appear, check this post — I tested another gaffer's theory and it worked flawlessly.

I now have all 12 types of fish in the swamp (11 listed + one unlisted). Now it's time to do the same for the 12 in the ocean.

Neiteio

There's a heart piece tied to fishing now, isn't there? :(
Nothing is tied to fishing. But there is a fishing catalog that tracks every type of fish you collect with 3D models of each, etc. So it's all part of 100%. The chart is on the wall next to the front desk of each fishing hole. There are 24 fish total between the two fishing holes. You should give it a try, it's a lot of fun!

I'm almost done 100%-ing the game. Got all the masks, only 3 more "rumored" events to deal with.
The bomber's notebook is amazing for this, makes me want to finish it even if it's tedious work and I don't really need to do it anymore since I dont' really need anymore hearts.
I'm not doing the fishing bits since there are no real rewards for it and fishing sucks

I was used to the N64 method, so I had less control in this instance. There was no need to change the swimming, and I find the new swim controls frustrating.

Yeah dude, everybody knows already.

Just beat Great Bay temple, loving the game all over again. New Gyorg fight was awesome. On to Stone Tower.

Neiteio

Fishing is the worst. I never even get the gold scale or fishing heart piece in Ocarina of Time.

fishing is terrible and I don't want to waste my time doing it
Fishing is top-notch. They could've easily made the fishing its own game. There was a guy in the fishing thread who thought you have to spin the Circle Pad to reel in fish. You just have to pull back in the opposite direction, countering the fish's every move. It's simple, but deep, and the feedback is incredible. :)

On another note, I'm doing a Fierce Deity run of all the bosses:

I cut down Odolwa like a hot knife through butter:

soj2m.jpg

But Goht is a lil' trickier!

x4om8.jpg

EDIT: Actually, I take that back, a few beam shots from Goht crashes him. o_O

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh wow, Fierce Deity absolutely destroys Goht. Like holy shit.

Fishing is top-notch. They could've easily made the fishing its own game. There was a guy in the fishing thread who thought you have to spin the Circle Pad to reel in fish. You just have to pull back in the opposite direction, countering the fish's every move. It's simple, but deep, and the feedback is incredible. :)
Wait, seriously!? Holy shit, this changes everything. I'm gonna try fishing again tomorrow when I get the chance.

Neiteio

Gyorg as FD is absolutely ruined by the new fight. It's grossly disappointing.
I'm about to do that one next. I believe you can only use FD for the first half of the fight due to the underwater second half, right?

Probably the same with Twinmold and his second phase.

Neiteio

Wait, seriously!? Holy shit, this changes everything. I'm gonna try fishing again tomorrow when I get the chance.
You never spin the stick in the fishing minigame. Ever. You just pull back in the opposite direction. If you zoom out the camera with L, you can see Link angles his rod in the direction you push the Circle Pad. That's all you're doing with the Circle Pad — changing the direction you pull the line. So if the fish is frantically swimming to the right, you hold steady to the left. If it starts to swim left, you hold to the right. :)

Fishing isn't even fun IRL. I don't even like fishing minigames when there's a reward, why would I fish in MM when there's no reward?

-snaps fishing pole in half-

Neiteio

Fishing isn't even fun IRL. I don't even like fishing minigames when there's a reward, why would I fish in MM when there's no reward?

-snaps fishing pole in half-
I don't fish in real life because I don't want to possibly hurt fish or worms.

But fishing in MM? No problem! You use artificial bait and release the fish you catch! :-D

And it's sooo fun! Most intense combat experience you can have in the game.

Wrestling with Lord Chapu-Chapu for half a day (in-game) was HARD.

banofypie

Banned
I'm about to do that one next. I believe you can only use FD for the first half of the fight due to the underwater second half, right?

Probably the same with Twinmold and his second phase.
Pretty much, yeah. There's something really satisfying about hitting those eyes from so far off with the sword beams though.

Neiteio

Pretty much, yeah. There's something really satisfying about hitting those eyes from so far off with the sword beams though.
Yeah, I just did it, and it was fun. :)

FD Link is great if you still have Heart Pieces left that require a region's post-boss state, since he can make certain phases or even entire bosses go down quicker.

Scott667

I actually have a story of how two of the changes collided to make a really annoying experience. When heading back to the pirates fortress for the stone mask, the new swimming cause me to lose all my magic meter, so then when I got to Shiro I couldn't give him a red potion (no magic = no lens of truth) so I had to warp out of there for some green potion first. (And while we're on the swimming, 8 minutes straight of holding A and R for the beaver race gave me a huge hand cramp!)

As much as I dislike a lot of the changes (the only ones I like without question are the graphics, the touch-based item inventory, gyro aiming, new Gorman quest and the song of double time), this was the first time that I really got to get into what MM is all about. Without using any guides and only having a faint memory from 15 years ago of how the game is played, I managed to 100% the game (had never done before) without even using the inverted song of time (which I always used in the original). It was really great and rewarding, and it let me fully appreciate the dungeon design (there are so many short cuts when you start them on a new cycle with the dungeon item).

While I would have preferred an OOT3D style faithful remake that just focuses on ironing out the slight issues with the original (ie. how useless the old song of double time is), MM3D has been one of my favourite games in a long time.

PS: By the way, does anyone know if there is a way to play with the inventory handling like OOT3D? In OOT you just needed to tap on the item, then tap on the touch-button you want it assigned to (meaning you could easily use your left thumb to tap an item, then tap the touch-button with your right. All without repositioning your hand). Now it seems you need to slide it across the screen, which (on the XL models at any rate) practically requires that you completely readjust your hand position.

banofypie

Banned
Yeah, I just did it, and it was fun. :)

FD Link is great if you still have Heart Pieces left that require a region's post-boss state, since he can make certain phases or even entire bosses go down quicker.
It's just as well Ikana doesn't need a post-boss phase for anything, because Twinmold is absolutely annoying to fight in this.

burgerdog

Man, I was cruising through the second dungeon until I raised the huge pillar in the center room. Then I got stuck for an hour :lol I face palmed once I figured it out.

Neiteio

Man, I was cruising through the second dungeon until I raised the huge pillar in the center room. Then I got stuck for an hour :lol I face palmed once I figured it out.
Were you overlooking the elevator room with the frozen eye switch? That tripped me up, lol.

On a side note, I just replayed Twinmold for fun, using Fierce Deity for the first phase... That was actually pretty awesome.

Also, it seems that if you spin the stick during the wrestling bits, you can take down the red worm in three swings instead of four.

He's a joy to battle once you assume the Dark Souls mentality of rolling all day, everyday. Let him come at you, roll to left, then roll back to right and pummel the shit out of him!

Scott667

Before going up to the final boss, I decided to do a single (slowed down) cycle and see how much I could do, I'm sure I could have squeezed in some mini-games, but this was my best result (and even then I had a ton of wasted time on Day 3). My goal was to try and have the events shown in the credits match the events of the final cycle (besides the old lady who needs to be mugged in order to for the Kafei/Anju sidequest to work, as well as the stray fairies)

Day 1
-Feed the hungry Goron
-Defeat Goht
-Bow practise/ promise to save ranch from aliens
-Make all the Chickens grow up
-Save Pamela's father from being a zombie (This happens just by beating the temple, but doing it manually means Pamela isn't rude to you afterwards)
-Beat the King of Ikana
-Beat Skull Keeta
-Give Tingle's Father a picture of his son
-Give the witch a red potion
-Defeat Odolwa
-Return the Deku Princess and save the monkey
-Race the Deku Butlet
-Make promise to Anju to see her at night
-Solve the mayor's meeting with the couple mask
-Get the Moon's Tear (all Deku Business stuff is done as well, but spread over several days)
-Beat the Swamp Skulltula House
-Beat the Ocean Skulltula House
-Listen to Guru-guru's problems
-Teach the Rosa Sisters how to dance
-Free Kamaro's soul
-Get Letter from Anju and post it
-Save the ranch from aliens

Day 2
-Promise Gorman to get him milk
-Get all the Zora eggs
-Heal Shiro with a red potion
-Get the fisherman a picture of a pirate
-Reunite the seahorses
-Deliver Gorman his milk
-Teach Evan the song the band will play over the credits
-Enter the Great Bay temple and beat the frog mini boss (no Gyorg yet)
-Listen to Anju's Grandmother (short story)
-Find out about Kafei and give pendant to Anju
-Save the milk delivery
-Play the ballad of the wind fish (fun fact: Gorman's dialog is different if he had his special milk)
-Conduct the frog choir
-Win the Goron Races
-Get Celebrated as the new leader of the Gorons (I didn't even know about this cut scene when I played the game 15 years ago!)

Day 3
-Get Letter to Kafei's mother
-Defeat Gyorg
-Practise with the Zora Band
-Defeat Twinmold
-Let postman deliver Kafei's letter
-Reunite the Clock Town Fairy (Doing the temple ones would be way too much work)
-Get the sun mask back
-Watch Kafei and Anju reunite
-Stop the moon from falling

It was super satisfying and I'd highly recommend it. I'll probably try to redo it later, but shuffling some things around to get more mini games done. I wonder if you could also do the 3 archery challenges, the treasure game and Honey & Darling / Deku Jumping on all three days. THAT would be a fun challenge.

BTW, can anyone think of anything that I missed?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I keep forgetting to take screenshots while I play. Miiverse is so darn slow to load on the old 3DS :(

banofypie

Banned
I've lost interest in miiverse these days. Last time I used it was when it was integrated into the game so I could make posts without a stupidly lengthy loading screen.

banofypie

Banned
A button that captures the screen so I can upload posts to miiverse later would be fantastic. Like how Animal Crossing did it but not terrible.

burgerdog

Were you overlooking the elevator room with the frozen eye switch? That tripped me up, lol.

On a side note, I just replayed Twinmold for fun, using Fierce Deity for the first phase... That was actually pretty awesome.

Also, it seems that if you spin the stick during the wrestling bits, you can take down the red worm in three swings instead of four.

He's a joy to battle once you assume the Dark Souls mentality of rolling all day, everyday. Let him come at you, roll to left, then roll back to right and pummel the shit out of him!

I forgot to go back there and shoot the eye to raise the platform, so yes. Since the elevator blocks the main room I was pulling my hair trying to find a way up again.

Top Bottom