• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Not a fan of the changes to Gyorg.

Well the battle itself wasn't an issue but waiting for him to start inhaling was a pain, seemed to be just random. If I could have triggered that somehow wouldn't have had any problems with it really.
Swimming near him when he stops makes him inhale. I just swim near him and tackle a mine on the way there.

Neiteio

Swimming near him when he stops makes him inhale. I just swim near him and tackle a mine on the way there.
Gyorg still occasionally spits out fish when you swim near him, which can destroy the mine you need, and screw you over when he then inhales.

But you're right. Most of the time, he'll inhale. So the best way to "control the battle" during Gyorg's second phase is to stalk him across the minefield, and position yourself near the mine closest to him. Nine out of 10 times, he will inhale instead of spitting fish. That's your cue to quickly sever the chain.

Having just replayed this battle for fun last night (I replayed all four dungeon bosses), I have to say it's perfectly solid, and not the RNG nightmare I first thought.

Hobohodo

Ahh, thinking about it I was probably hanging back quite a bit. well when I fight him again during my 'solve the problems before you end this' cycle il give that a try.

Molemitts

ZL2YQnx.jpg

This is the first Zelda game I've got 100% on and from now on it's my favourite Zelda game too. I first played Majora's Mask on the Wii Virtual Console alongside Ocarina of Time, I really liked Majora's Mask a lot despite the fact that I shouldn't have, as I wasn't enjoying Ocarina of Time that much and I normally hate time limits in games. I found Ocarina of Time much harder for some reason too, but that's probably because I just did the side quests in Majora most of the time. I've come to appreciate Ocarina of Time recently it's certainly a very good game, but it's not the greatest game ever, like some claim it is.

Majora's Mask really resonated with me because of its storytelling. I think it works really well in the video game medium, the way your actions affect the characters and the way they all have schedules makes it amazing. I'd love to see more games take on the kind of world Majora's Mask has, I just don't think another Zelda game will, unfortunately.

Despite loving the game so much I never finished it until now, I only had gotten to Ikana, but I never got past the well, not for any real reason, but I think I had been distracted by many other games and I'd already done the major side quests at that point. This was the kind of game I've wanted to experience for the first time again, as discovering all the people in Termina, their stories, backgrounds and motivations was really a magical experience for me on my first playthrough. This is as close as it was going to get, playing the game with a new coat of paint and finally, not only finishing it, but achieving 100%. I loved this playthrough, perhaps not as much as my first but I really appreciate the game a lot now I have, I guess, more broad video game knowledge. The themes of the game, the darkness, the impending doom, the emotions of each character on the final day, I can all appreciate them a lot more now, even if I know what to expect.

I'll probably go and try out Fierce Deity on all the bosses, maybe look for some more dialogue or attempt to do as much in one cycle as possible, I might do fishing too if I can be bothered, but I'm pretty much done.

One of the best games ever made. I would probably put this among my top 5 of all time. If I ever get amnesia please tell me to play Majora's Mask again. Otherwise, I hope to enjoy a replay of this in many years, when I can reminds myself of this masterpiece, as long as I don't die before then, or something.

Neiteio

I must say, Twinmold is also a legitimately good battle once you get the hang of the second phase. I fully anticipate most people will hate it at first. But here's the key: ROLL.

Taking a page from the book of Dark Souls, you want to roll out, then roll in. Roll away when the red worm flies in, and then immediately roll back. Just one roll, in each direction. Then you clobber, clobber, clobber! The red worm turns around for a second pass. Roll out when he flies at you. Roll in when he flies beside you. Clobber, clobber, clobber!

You do this on all three passes, the red worm flashing blue and bleeding each time. On the third pass he'll fall to the ground. If he escapes back underground, the hit counter resets, so you have to clobber him all in one go. Then you can go all WWE on his ass.

It's a massively improved battle, IMO (pun intended). An epic way to close out an epic dungeon.

Goht is still my favorite boss, though, both in this game and the Zelda series. Quite a rush to chase him down, dodging the rolling and bouncing boulders, the falling stalactites, the lighting he fires and the bombs he ejects. Weaving left and right, rolling up banked turns, launching off ramps... Drilling into his legs and slamming on top of him from above... Sending him skidding on his belly or side... Taking off your Goron Mask, while still in free-fall, and firing off a barrage of Fire Arrows the moment you land.

Or if you're the Fierce Deity, just meet him head-on and crash him with two beam shots, and wreck his eye with two more. XD

x4om8.jpg
p1unt.jpg

Roto13

Well the battle itself wasn't an issue but waiting for him to start inhaling was a pain, seemed to be just random. If I could have triggered that somehow wouldn't have had any problems with it really.

He inhales when you get close, which sucks, because it makes knocking mines into him and defeating him the "right" way difficult. I ended up just whittling him down with the boomerangs.

Can you no longer get hit by bombs while doing a ground pound with the Goron Mask? I wanted to get the Zora Mask without Epona so I don't need to reset the timeline yet, but I can't get it to work D:

Edit: Nevermind

Weiss

Banned
I can't remember who it was, but in one of the MM3D threads someone had mentioned that they removed the triforce from the Stone Tower. I just got there, and it's still there on the movable blocks.

Miiverse post with picture. You might need to zoom in a bit due to the lighting, but it is very much still there, just all the detail added to the blocks makes the "hole" triangle harder to see.

Did I just get called out on Miiverse?

hitgirl

Got a question about the pirate area -

I'm suppose to rescue four eggs, I found the first one and put it in my bottle. Thing is I only have three bottles, did I just screw myself?

Draconian

I'm suppose to rescue four eggs, I found the first one and put it in my bottle. Thing is I only have three bottles, did I just screw myself?

You're either going to need to get another bottle or bring them back to the tank and then go back.

Also, whoever had the bright idea of putting fish in one of the tanks should be smacked. I accidentally bottled it twice instead of the egg and had to go back.

KarmaCow

Why would you think you screwed yourself? You don't need to do it in one go, just in the same cycle.

hitgirl

You're either going to need to get another bottle or bring them back to the tank and then go back.

Also, whoever had the bright idea of putting fish in one of the tanks should be smacked. I accidentally bottled it twice instead of the egg and had to go back.

Ah damn. Would it be faster to just return the first one I bottled?

Kard8p3

I told myself I was going to be responsible with my money..

and then I bought this game, a circle pad for xl 3ds, and MH4U.

Fuck my life.

I can't wait.

I found the second part quite easy, when he stops by the mines just zora swim straight towards him but make sure you cut one of the mines on the way, he'll inhale it straight away.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I just finished Majora's Mask.

Wow such an amazing game. I haven't played it since I first beat it back 14 years ago. I didn't 100% it but I know I did way more than I did when I originally played it on the N64.

A great remaster and I hope to see more from Nintendo.

Roto13

The Happy Mask Salesman has a mask of the Mirror Shield's face. I wonder what the story is there.

vS9wZ1P.png

EDIT: So they definitely changed the order of the switches in the Stone Tower.

Can't wait to play this, I'm getting this and a New XL on Friday provided I can find the system in stock somewhere.

Did the graphics get a bump from Ocarina 3D? The screens people are posting look great, definitely better than what I remember OoT looking like.

Neiteio

Ikana is such a neat area. You can tell it was once the hotbed of civilization in Termina, long before the modern-day tourist trap of Clock Town.

We know Ikana was a kingdom, with a king (Igos du Ikana), two loyal henchman, a troupe of entertainers (the Redeads) and a captain (Keeta) who led an army of men (Stalchildren). There were two royal composers, Flat and Sharp. The Iron Knuckles under the cemetery were likely members of the Ikana Army, as well. The castle stands next to a sacred place, the Stone Tower. The Light Arrows and Giant's Mask are presumably treasures of the Ikana. And the Garo Ninjas appear to have been spies sent to infiltrate Ikana, led by the Garo Master. I'm not sure what to make of the well, though. Were there always Gibdos down there, protecting the Mirror Shield?

At any rate, it's a compelling area. Not many NPCs, but still so much lore and world-building.

Ants

I liked the old Garo mask more simply because it looked more like the Poe collector, who was clearly somehow related to them.

Neiteio

I liked the old Garo mask more simply because it looked more like the Poe collector, who was clearly somehow related to them.
Erm, the old Garo's Mask looked like a rank-and-file Garo Ninja.

The new Garo's Mask looks like a Garo Master... which makes sense, since they all think you're their leader. :)

so i just did anju and kafei quest. Good lord they made it simple with the double time and save points. Had to do the last part like 3 times LOL. I feel really bad for those who had to repeat the whole thing back in the day =[

ffdgh

Speaking of FD, I'm not too keen on using the "FD anywhere" glitch, but this is pretty cool:

zlCfzTDCBA0LB4scJI

Well....that technically is a boss. :p
So what'll happen if you try to learn the elegy of emptiness as fierce deity? IIRC it doesn't glitch in the original.

Neiteio

C-stick fun:

"Draw me like one of your French girls, Jack"

8bkqy.jpg

Goht just chillin'? Or photo-bombing Darmani's selfie?

ltu11.jpg

Great detail in the floor:

fouqb.jpg

Detail in the wall:

7cogg.jpg

Anfony O

ZL2YQnx.jpg

This is the first Zelda game I've got 100% on and from now on it's my favourite Zelda game too. I first played Majora's Mask on the Wii Virtual Console alongside Ocarina of Time, I really liked Majora's Mask a lot despite the fact that I shouldn't have, as I wasn't enjoying Ocarina of Time that much and I normally hate time limits in games. I found Ocarina of Time much harder for some reason too, but that's probably because I just did the side quests in Majora most of the time. I've come to appreciate Ocarina of Time recently it's certainly a very good game, but it's not the greatest game ever, like some claim it is.

Majora's Mask really resonated with me because of its storytelling. I think it works really well in the video game medium, the way your actions affect the characters and the way they all have schedules makes it amazing. I'd love to see more games take on the kind of world Majora's Mask has, I just don't think another Zelda game will, unfortunately.

Despite loving the game so much I never finished it until now, I only had gotten to Ikana, but I never got past the well, not for any real reason, but I think I had been distracted by many other games and I'd already done the major side quests at that point. This was the kind of game I've wanted to experience for the first time again, as discovering all the people in Termina, their stories, backgrounds and motivations was really a magical experience for me on my first playthrough. This is as close as it was going to get, playing the game with a new coat of paint and finally, not only finishing it, but achieving 100%. I loved this playthrough, perhaps not as much as my first but I really appreciate the game a lot now I have, I guess, more broad video game knowledge. The themes of the game, the darkness, the impending doom, the emotions of each character on the final day, I can all appreciate them a lot more now, even if I know what to expect.

I'll probably go and try out Fierce Deity on all the bosses, maybe look for some more dialogue or attempt to do as much in one cycle as possible, I might do fishing too if I can be bothered, but I'm pretty much done.

One of the best games ever made. I would probably put this among my top 5 of all time. If I ever get amnesia please tell me to play Majora's Mask again. Otherwise, I hope to enjoy a replay of this in many years, when I can reminds myself of this masterpiece, as long as I don't die before then, or something.

This post brought a tear to my eye. Well said my friend

Playing this game for the first time. So far it's really really amazing and shaping up to be the best Zelda for me.
There was 1 place so far where I was legitimately stuck - in figuring out how to get to Great Bay. I've never would have guessed that it's possible to
jump over that wall on horse
. Thankfully in-game hint system helped me with that.
Also was quite disappointed to find out that you need
Powder Keg to get into the castle
. Teleporting to town and back just for that felt so pointless and flow-breaking...
Still, I'm in love.

I got stuck in the Stone Tower Temple last night, and had to look up the solution online. There's a point where you can see a switch on a raised platform in some water, and the only way to reach it is to
use Zora Link to dive and then jump out of the water.

In the original game, there was no need to reach thiis platform/step on a switch; the chest was just out in the open. Considering that Aonuma said in the "Iwata Asks" for MM3D that he actively looked for flaws in the original that could be be fixed/improved this time around, I'm amazed that this change was made. This extra step is not intuitive.

Nowhere in the game are you even informed that jumping out of the water to gain height is possible. And even if the player discovers it by playing around (as far as I'm aware), it serves no practical function anywhere else in the game, so they are not conditioned to acknowledge it as a means of reaching otherwise inaccessible places. All of this means that the player has not been properly introduced to this mechanic, and so is less likely to naturally attempt it.

This is even compounded by the changes in the swimming mechanics from the original. I have no problem with the new swimming controls in and of themselves, but the action required is now even less intuitive than it was before, as it's otherwise a purely optional offensive capability.

I know it might seem like I'm making a big deal over something small, but I spent a good hour or so wandering around rooms I had already cleared, thinking I was missing something, and this lack of intuitiveness is not something I'd expect to see in a Zelda game, especially one where you have a constant time limit hanging over you. I only just managed to finish the temple and beat the boss in time. If I hadn't looked up the solution online, who knows how much longer I would have been wandering around.

EDIT: Disregard all of the above; turns out I missed the most obvious solution.

Anyway, that aside, I'm now ready to go to
the Moon
, but I want to finish off sidequest and stuff first. I only have about 13 more heart pieces to get, so I might go for 100% completion first.

Yrael

I got stuck in the Stone Tower Temple last night, and had to look up the solution online. There's a point where you can see a switch on a raised platform in some water, and the only way to reach it is to

In the original game, there was no need to reach thiis platform/step on a switch; the chest was just out in the open. Considering that Aonuma said in the "Iwata Asks" for MM3D that he actively looked for flaws in the original that could be be fixed/improved this time around, I'm amazed that this change was made. This extra step is not intuitive.

Nowhere in the game are you even informed that jumping out of the water to gain height is possible. And even if the player discovers it by playing around (as far as I'm aware), it serves no practical function anywhere else in the game, so they are not conditioned to acknowledge it as a means of reaching otherwise inaccessible places. All of this means that the player has not been properly introduced to this mechanic, and so is less likely to naturally attempt it.

This is even compounded by the changes in the swimming mechanics from the original. I have no problem with the new swimming controls in and of themselves, but the action required is now even less intuitive than it was before, as it's otherwise a purely optional offensive capability.

I know it might seem like I'm making a big deal over something small, but I spent a good hour or so wandering around the temple, thinking I was missing something, and this lack of intuitiveness is not something I'd expect to see in a Zelda game, especially one where you have a constant time limit hanging over you. I only just managed to finish the temple and beat the boss in time.

If it's the place I'm thinking of, you can also
let a Dexihand grab you and throw you out of the water onto the ledge.

Edit: Oh never mind, you seem to be talking about something different - I haven't reached the Stone Tower yet in the MM3D version.

I know it might seem like I'm making a big deal over something small, but I spent a good hour or so wandering around rooms I had already cleared, thinking I was missing something, and this lack of intuitiveness is not something I'd expect to see in a Zelda game, especially one where you have a constant time limit hanging over you. I only just managed to finish the temple and beat the boss in time. If I hadn't looked up the solution online, who knows how much longer I would have been wandering around.

Anyway, that aside, I'm now ready to go to
the Moon
, but I want to finish off sidequest and stuff first. I only have about 13 more heart pieces to get, so I might go for 100% completion first.

That stumped me for a little bit, but then I realized I could just
hop across with Deku Link

If it's the place I'm thinking of, you can also
let a Dexihand grab you and throw you out of the water onto the ledge.

Edit: Oh never mind, you seem to be talking about something different - I haven't reached the Stone Tower yet in the MM3D version.

That is the same room, and that's how you reached the chest in the original game, but the switch is on a different platform.

Top Bottom