• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Draconian

Lakebed Temple doesn't have too much swimming though, outside of the boss battle.

Unless you're referring to Great Bay Temple.

Yes you're right. It's so so bad. I don't give a flying crap if I get the fairies or not. I never want to set foot in this stupid dungeon again in my life. I despise swimming in this game.

Rich!

Swimming sucks now, but I know what part you're talking about and was able to jump onto it in one go. The jump arc is so much higher now.

I do think it's weird they removed having to dolphin jump out of the water, and then made you do it anyway in the same room.

Hint: you don't need the zora jump

Use the deku hop to get to the switch

Speaking of which, does that zora glitch still exist?

The one where, when underwater and you equip the Zora Mask, you get a "boost" up, which is helpful during one section in Stone Tower Temple and not much else.

Yes you're right. It's so so bad. I don't give a flying crap if I get the fairies or not. I never want to set foot in this stupid dungeon again in my life. I despise swimming in this game.

Well I feel I must inform you... the prize is actually the best (or second-best) one... it's double-defense. Known not only for making the game more tolerable, but also giving your hearts those snazzy white outlines.

Draconian

Ok, I turned one of the green pipe switches on, went back to the main room, and the path that the green pipe takes is blocked. What do I do to unblock it?

Weiss

Banned
Hint: you don't need the zora jump

Use the deku hop to get to the switch

I am aware. Let me make this simpler for you: Swimming sucks in the remake, but jumping out of the water has been improved, and by the time I had learned I could use the Deku hop, I had beaten the game.

Neiteio

I'm not sure why people are trying to dolphin jump to that switch. You're obviously supposed to deku-skip to it.

Self-imposed challenge like a three-heart run or something?

Final Destination, no deku-skips, dolphin jumps only

Roto13

zlCfzTDKV0sAOzZRIh

Good luck getting out of the water to reach this stray fairy.

Neiteio

Roto, I'm squinting at that screen and struggling to remember anytime I had any trouble reaching any Stray Fairy in that dungeon.

Finding them is the hard part. Actually collecting them is mechanically effortless.

You talking about this bit? Just pull back, tap R.

TheMoon

I'm not sure why people are trying to dolphin jump to that switch. You're obviously supposed to deku-skip to it.

Self-imposed challenge like a three-heart run or something?

Final Destination, no deku-skips, dolphin jumps only

I remember that that's exactly how I did it in the N64 version two years ago. Which is why the complaint "oh they made this harder now" was bullshit to me. Also still hilarious how this is a thing in both versions still that people don't know how to do "right" :)

Roto13

At least it's more comfortable on X or Y than it ever was on a C button.

Kind of mixed on the new Twinmold fight. First phase sucks because you're expected to focus on the blue one while the red one harasses you. Second phase is ok except it takes forever. Glad I won't have to do that again.

Going to get the heart piece from the shrine behind the waterfall and then take on the moon in the same cycle, since I already have the Chateau Romani I bought for the Twinmold fight.

I remember that that's exactly how I did it in the N64 version two years ago. Which is why the complaint "oh they made this harder now" was bullshit to me. Also still hilarious how this is a thing in both versions still that people don't know how to do "right" :)

That switch didn't even exist in the original version, and dolphin jumping sucks more now because swimming sucks now.

Neiteio

At least it's more comfortable on X or Y than it ever was on a C button.

Kind of mixed on the new Twinmold fight. First phase sucks because you're expected to focus on the blue one while the red one harasses you. Second phase is ok except it takes forever. Glad I won't have to do that again.

Going to get the heart piece from the shrine behind the waterfall and then take on the moon in the same cycle, since I already have the Chateau Romani I bought for the Twinmold fight.
If you ever fight Twinmold again for fun (which it sounds like you've already ruled out), the trick for the second phase is to let him fly at you, then immediately roll right (away from him), and immediately roll left (back next to him). This allows you to dodge his tackling attack/fireball attack, and repositions you to deliver 4-5 punches. You repeat this on his two subsequent fly-bys, rolling over the babies in-between.

This then grounds the red worm so you can go all Mario-vs-Bowser-in-SM64 on his ass.

Also, you can instantly down the red worm by throwing boulders at it. There are two boulders present in the arena. And if you spin the Circle Pad a bit, you'll swing the red worm faster, dealing more damage, so you can defeat it in three grab-and-slams (instead of four).

In other words, if you use the two boulders, and rapidly spin each time, you only have to knock it to the ground with punching just once.

Roto13 said:
That switch didn't even exist in the original version, and dolphin jumping sucks more now because swimming sucks now.
Dolphin jump is easier than ever since you won't accidentally slam into walls at 300 mph during the approach like you would in the old one. You can actually control the speed of your approach now. Pull back, hold R. BAM! One and done.

Majestad

Banned
I just finished one of the most intense Zelda sessions I've played, holy crap.

It was the last day, I was at the great bay temple, trying to find all the fairies while completing the temple at the same time. At around 5pm I found the last fairy, and then I hurried up to beat Gyorgh. I've never made it this far before, so I had no idea how the fight is. He killed me twice. At around 8pm I went outside the temple to at least return the fairies before resetting the time. The great fairy gives me a very useful power up, specially against the boss. I go back to the temple, and finish beating Gyorgh at around 11pm. I could hear the moon falling and the world shaking.

Goddamn that was amazing. By the way, I can't believe some people dislike the Great Bay Temple. I thought it was ACE.

Ruin swimming and then move one of the Stone Temple keys so that you need to use the shitty new swimming to leap out of the water and hit a switch.

Good job, assholes.

Except it was always like that. And it frustrated me in the original until I found out the other method

Draconian

Finally got out of Great Bay Temple. Not much to say other than I hate swimming in this game. I don't understand why what should be done in one button press takes two. If I want to swim, why do I have to hit a button to dive first? Also, punching isn't allowed while you're floating because reasons. It's completely unintuitive to me and I never got the hang of it at all.

It's not as easy as it looks.

EDIT: The Great Fairy's Sword is still a regular item? Lame.
Yeah it's pretty dumb. Should just replace the Kokiri or Gilded sword.

And no, don't give me that whole, "battle animation is different" excuse,; cause they could have just changed it.

Roto13

Yeah it's pretty dumb. Should just replace the Kokiri or Gilded sword.

And no, don't give me that whole, "battle animation is different" excuse,; cause they could have just changed it.

It is a two-handed sword, which means there are legitimate reasons to want the gilded sword instead. But you should be able to just change it in the equipment menu.

Neiteio

Great Fairy's Sword is so much better in the remake. Since X and Y are the same as the B button, using the Great Fairy's Sword feels just like using your Gilded Sword. And this allows you have both equipped simultaneously. You can be using your Mirror Shield and single-handed Gilded Sword one moment, then wreck your opponent with the double-handed Great Fairy's Sword the next, all without ever pausing the game to swap weapons.

I just finished one of the most intense Zelda sessions I've played, holy crap.

It was the last day, I was at the great bay temple, trying to find all the fairies while completing the temple at the same time. At around 5pm I found the last fairy, and then I hurried up to beat Gyorgh. I've never made it this far before, so I had no idea how the fight is. He killed me twice. At around 8pm I went outside the temple to at least return the fairies before resetting the time. The great fairy gives me a very useful power up, specially against the boss. I go back to the temple, and finish beating Gyorgh at around 11pm. I could hear the moon falling and the world shaking.

Goddamn that was amazing. By the way, I can't believe some people dislike the Great Bay Temple. I thought it was ACE.
Yeah, Great Bay is my favorite temple. Great mechanics (freezing/thawing, makeshift platforms, current control), great aesthetic (glowing pipes, colorful darkness), great mini-bosses (Wart with the eyeballs, Gekko with the jellies), great boss (once you learn to swim close to bait him into inhaling).

The progression is the good kind of linear, not nearly as confusing as one would think, and there are straightforward ways back to earlier areas once the current is changed. Also, the fairies are hidden in smart ways, like an extra layer of puzzles to be solved.

So good, and more playable than ever with the new ability to control your swimming speed. <3

JonnyKong

Wahoo fourth temple done, I thought it was awesome. Loved flipping it around. And the boss fight was great too cos they were huge and it was such a lovely expansive area and I got to Hulk out too!

So I guess I've just got the final bit now? Whatever that may entail. How long would you guys say I have if I just went straight to the moon without doing anymore sidequests. One hour, two, more?

Wahoo fourth temple done, I thought it was awesome. Loved flipping it around. And the boss fight was great too cos they were huge and it was such a lovely expansive area and I got to Hulk out too!

So I guess I've just got the final bit now? Whatever that may entail. How long would you guys say I have if I just went straight to the moon without doing anymore sidequests. One hour, two, more?

There are a couple of side quests that consist of clearing a couple of challenge areas on the moon to get the final mask (you need all the other 23 before you can get it though!). They also have a few heart pieces.

But if you so wish, you can go straight to the moon from the clock tower and fight the final boss as soon as you get there.

Essentially, you have the final boss fight, plus side quests left.

JonnyKong

Oh, Well I most certainly don't have the other 23 masks so I guess it's just straight to the boss! I shall attempt that tomorrow night.

Neiteio

Oh, Well I most certainly don't have the other 23 masks so I guess it's just straight to the boss! I shall attempt that tomorrow night.
Do you plan to get all of the masks? It's the only way to get the final transformation, Fierce Deity Link, a.k.a. the best reward in Zelda games.

Roto13

Yeah, that one was tough.

Given your earlier complaints, you're going to absolutely despise the Zora dungeon.

I got my popcorn ready!

The Zora dungeon sucked because the resolution is too low to see the fish when you're in motion.

But at least the dolphin jumping is easier because there's a mark to indicate when you should pull up. And the platforms aren't that high. It probably would have been worse if I didn't have unlimited magic.

Arkage

Banned
Welp game just crashed on me for the first time. Where's that gold seal of quality Nintendo :( Also hadn't saved in a while, have to re-do the beaver races, lovely.

Swimming really does suck in this game. It's a shame.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
:( @ needing to be a goron to steal the inn reservation now.

Yeah, that's a weird change to me. But whatever.

I'm almost done with Great Bay temple, then I will try to just avoid the bay from now on to not force the zora swim suffering upon myself. I did Pinnacle Rock last night and just groaned the whole time.

Zomba13

So on the N64 I got up to just before the stuff in Ikana Valley before I had to give the game back and never got any further. I didn't really do any side-quests or get many masks or the fairies and by the time I got the new 3DS with it on I'd forgotten 90% of the stuff, mostly everything outside the swamp. I've just beaten the 4th temple and have 3 or 4 masks to get then I'm off to the last boss.

Really liking it this time around though the Z-targeting seems really bad. Did they change it? It hardly seems to track enemies and sometimes just leaves me off screen.

_Isaac

I'm sorta kinda considering trying the three heart challenge with this game. I haven't played it since it came out on the N64, and I've never tried it on a Zelda game. Has anybody else tried the three heart challenge for Majora's Mask?

Dice//

Banned
I'm sorta kinda considering trying the three heart challenge with this game. I haven't played it since it came out on the N64, and I've never tried it on a Zelda game. Has anybody else tried the three heart challenge for Majora's Mask?

Only time it'll probably really suck is with the amount of fire type attacks there are in the game.... most form the fucking version of wizzro in this game. >:/

Anth0ny

Twinmold is really hard with three hearts.

I keep accidentally walking on the fire that lingers on the ground after he shoots a fireball.

The changes to the Giant's Mask are insane, though. Love it.

I think I just have the 5k rupees and the Frog choir to do. The kids aren't telling me anything else. That will give 2 heart pieces, but I need 10. 4 are on the moon, right? That means I am missing 4 pieces somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Ants

I think I just have the 5k rupees and the Frog choir to do. The kids aren't telling me anything else. That will give 2 heart pieces, but I need 10. 4 are on the moon, right? That means I am missing 4 pieces somewhere, but I have no idea where.

oh didnt you know

they added four more heart pieces for the bank. one for 10k, one for 100k, one for 500k, and one for 1m

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Made this in pottery:

4A86QFo.jpg

The nose is a little big, and I'm going to add a touch of red around the eyes and add in some glass beads, but I'm happy it turned out pretty freaky haha.

Neiteio

So today I fished in the Ocean Fishing Hole for the first time.

Here's what I caught in one three-day cycle:

2dknt.jpg

vljpm.jpg

ftjvw.jpg

knjyk.jpg

6fj1e.jpg

16ko7.jpg

zokq2.jpg

1cjpl.jpg

3ukv6.jpg

rwjjf.jpg

And to top it all off...

h4kq1.jpg

4sjqj.jpg

Now I just need one more fish &#8212; Nuptuna &#8212; and I'll have all 24 types. My fishing catalog will be complete. I will have completed this game 100%!

See Post #89 in this thread to learn how to make rare fish reliably appear.

Zomba13

Made this in pottery:

4A86QFo.jpg

The nose is a little big, and I'm going to add a touch of red around the eyes and add in some glass beads, but I'm happy it turned out pretty freaky haha.

That is fucking nightmare fuel so I'd say you've done a good job capturing the moon's essence.

Just finished getting the
mirror shield
beneath the well. I don't get why people complain about that part.
Other than the magic bean and red potion you need for the first two doors, every single thing else you need is there in the well. I never left once I came back with those two.

I'm almost certain it was that way in the original too.

Moff

Just finished getting the
mirror shield
beneath the well. I don't get why people complain about that part.
Other than the magic bean and red potion you need for the first two doors, every single thing else you need is there in the well. I never left once I came back with those two.

I'm almost certain it was that way in the original too.

was there a way to get the
hot water?

Neiteio

So looking at my most recent catch:

4sjqj.jpg

...it's kind of creepy you catch the Great Fairy Fish by hooking it with a regular Fairy Fish on the line.

Does this mean that Great Fairies also eat regular fairies? o_O

By the way, that sumbitch took the entire day portion of the Final Day to reel in.

And time was inverted.

Top Bottom