• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

braves01

Banned
Wow, the controls of Zora Link and the Great Bay Temple are almost enough to ruin this game. Holy shit I've never experienced more assbackwards camera control and glitching.

Yup, the whole ocean section was underwhelming to put it lightly, except for the spider house. Thankfully the next area and dungeon are pretty awesome, imo.

---

I've been meaning to ask...is the frame rate for this game better on New 3DS XL's? My circle pad broke and I need a new 3DS now unfortunately (or $130 to repair--LOL, no Nintendo). Just curious if I'll at least get some better performance in addition to the camera stuff.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
At the Twinmold boss and good lord they have completely ruined it, to the point it's just frustrating.

I'm curious to understand this. It was pretty straightforward what did you find frustrating?

Edit: oh I missed this page. Can't say I can relate at all, oh well.

There are two or three fishes in the same tank as the last egg. The whole time, I didn't pay attention to neither the "You captured X in a bottle!" message nor to what actually came out of the bottle in the research lab. The whole time, I kept capturing fishes instead of that one egg.

I was so close to doing this, I was unaware that I'd captured a fish and was exiting the room when suddenly I spied the egg still in the tank in the corner of my eye.
Blasted fooling fish.

braves01

Banned
4th dungeon boss didn't seem so bad, once I figured out I needed magic that is, lol. I tried to use item spoiler
the giant's mask
but forgot it took magic, so I thought I was just in the wrong room for awhile.

Overall though, these are not good bosses by Zelda standards, but I thought 4th dungeon especially and 2nd to a lesser extent were solid dungeons.

For those three day games, like the Deku Playground and the Lottery, do you have to win every day for one three day cycle for it to be listed as a Completed Event in the notebook?

For those three day games, like the Deku Playground and the Lottery, do you have to win every day for one three day cycle for it to be listed as a Completed Event in the notebook?

Yes, because there's a bonus if you win on each day in the same cycle. At least for the deku playground and the honey and darling games.

mrkgoo

Wow, the controls of Zora Link and the Great Bay Temple are almost enough to ruin this game. Holy shit I've never experienced more assbackwards camera control and glitching.

What has changed drastically? I Simply can't remember. I'm up to the Great bay section now, but other than using Magic for the boost not entirely sure what changed.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Got all the heart pieces, except for the last remaining 4, so I just redoing Anju and Kafei while helping Cremia and Romani in their side quest. Then I will head off and face the final boss.

Also got all but 1 mask, ohhh the end is near. <(;_;)>

What has changed drastically? I Simply can't remember. I'm up to the Great bay section now, but other than using Magic for the boost not entirely sure what changed.

It's mostly the same, other than you can only shoot at specific area with the ice arrows and the swimming control can be dodgy at times.

They also added a second phase for George which is annoying but George was always annoying.

Roto13

The swimming is slower if you're not wasting your magic, and the controls aren't inverted by default. (But they can be inverted in the options.)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The second phase of Georgie is ridiculous. Because I probably just suck.

I didn't have much trouble with the beaver rave, but good god was giving the hoops collision-detection a bad idea when coupled with the control scheme.

jblank83

Just want to say how much I'm enjoying MM3D.

I was impressed by the OoT3D remake, the new textures and models, but MM3D is even better. It looks fantastic. More than that, I really like the changes to the game, such as the Bomber's Notebook. Nothing feels like "easy mode" to casualize the game. The changes seem very thoughtful and appropriate.

Roto13

No, it sucks. Well, you might suck too, I don't know, but it also sucks.

I didn't have much trouble with the beaver rave, but good god was giving the hoops collision-detection a bad idea when coupled with the control scheme.

zlCfzTA9-IUG_psn-e

shiyrley

Banned
No, it sucks. Well, you might suck too, I don't know, but it also sucks.
It's pretty bad. Like, the concept is OK, but executed is too tedious. Oh he stopped, but he isn't near a mine, I have to wait, oh he stoped again, oh he's too far I can't reach it. Dunno it was a bit dull.

One thing I loved about the fight is creating an ice block and then do a jump slash, like this
Ugj97ZE.jpg

Africanus

I had the same problem earlier today. I felt the first phase was relatively easy, but the controls, the camera, and the hoops themselves all combined to make it a terrible task.

I would suggest not using R and taking it a bit slower. You may feel pressed for time but you'll make it.

Gyorg phase 2 and Beaver Race are far and a way the worst part about this game. I simply do not understand how the underwater swimming controls can be so fucking awful.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Gyorg phase 2 and Beaver Race are far and a way the worst part about this game. I simply do not understand how the underwater swimming controls can be so fucking awful.
For me the worst part is the Deku Playground. I can't beat Day 2, even with GAF tips. Probably tried 50 times. I'm just really, really bad at it, and now I get so frustrated that I actually am getting even worse.

Guess I won't 100% this game ever.... :(

Swimming controls clicked way easier with me, but I can definitely understand the frustration with them.

I agree that the beaver race is by far the worst part of the game, but I don't think it's due to the swimming control. On the contrary, the ability to go either fast or slow with the new control scheme is very useful there imho. No, the beaver race sucks because of the collision detection of the hoops and the fact that the camera and controls usually mess up when you collide with something. Oh, and the fact that you have to beat it four fucking times in a row to get the heart piece even if you've already got the bottle from an earlier cycle. Seriously, fuck that!

foltzie1

For me the worst part is the Deku Playground. I can't beat Day 2, even with GAF tips. Probably tried 50 times. I'm just really, really bad at it, and now I get so frustrated that I actually am getting even worse.

Guess I won't 100% this game ever.... :(

Swimming controls clicked way easier with me, but I can definitely understand the frustration with them.

I withdrew 200 coins and dedicated a day cycle to that game. Yowsa it's rough.

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the last few masks I need... I've come too far to start looking up answers though.

I don't usually get so excited about doing anything beyond finishing the main game. The sidequests in this game are pretty fun.

Did you get the mask of truth ?
Right before the final boss there are hints for every mask in the game, but you need the mask of truth to read them.

I don't know why people complain about deku playgrounds, just use R to see where you're gonna land ?

Twinmold phase 2 was way worse for me...four fucking cycles, are you kidding? And it took me a long fucking time to figure out I'm supposed to punch him. Why even put throwable boulders in the arena other than to confuse the player? I waited and waited for more to spawn but they never did.

Grezzo is lucky the new Song of Double Time is godlike 'cause some of these changes are wack.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Yeah that was my biggest problem.

Underwater swimming controls are usually awful to begin with. Actual good swimming controls are a rarity.

The original N64 version had good swimming controls.

Twinmold phase 2 was way worse for me...four fucking cycles, are you kidding? And it took me a long fucking time to figure out I'm supposed to punch him. Why even put throwable boulders in the arena other than to confuse the player? I waited and waited for more to spawn but they never did.

Yeah that boss was frustrating, at least in the original he went down quicker and we could use our sword.

Grezzo is lucky the new Song of Double Time is godlike 'cause some of these changes are wack.

In your opinion. The boss changes for Twinmold and Gyorg are fantastic. Also, the Twinmold fight is much more challenging than the original version, if the boulders are not respawning the player have to think a other way to beat it. Its genius.

Chuckie

Question regarding the frog sidequest:

Is there some shortcut to get to the Gecko in the temple? Or do I have to do it all over again up and untill that point I fight him?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

zigg

100%'d. Not happy with the new Zora moon dungeon. It's like someone said "hey, the Goron moon dungeon is the most frustrating; let's fix that by making the Zora moon dungeon frustrating too."

shawnlreed

100%'d. Not happy with the new Zora moon dungeon. It's like someone said "hey, the Goron moon dungeon is the most frustrating; let's fix that by making the Zora moon dungeon frustrating too."

Just 100%'d as well and I totally agree with this sentiment.
I don't remember having any problems at all with the Zora moon dungeon on the N64, but the 3DS version is just unpleasant.
It stands out as the one blemish on an otherwise amazing remake.

zigg

It stands out as the one blemish on an otherwise amazing remake.
I could point to a few other rough edges but on the whole it's definitely improved. Bomber's Notebook in particular is great. Swimming is better. Saving is better. Song of Double Time probably saved hours off my life, to the point when I was actually waiting for something because I didn't know when it happened it would drive me crazy because when did I have to do that any other time. Even the Sheikah Stone is useful for doing heart piece checklist duty.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Huh? I' ve just been prompted to dl a patch.
It's 40 blocks, and the changelog only mentions generic bugfixes.

When is a good time to start doing side quests? I've completed the first dungeon and only have 3 masks. I don't seem to be able to complete any of the sidequests that I've unlocked right now because I probably need other masks. Should I just head towards the second dungeon at this point?

lewisgone

Beat the game and got 100% of the rest of the stuff I had to finish up this morning. Enjoy a lot about the game, especially transformations and the dark atmosphere. Glad to finally beat it too, after about 3 attempts at beating the N64 version years ago.

Ending feelings:
I thought it was a little disappointing. Link leaving the festival and Skull Kid and the fairies just seemed odd, especially considering he then is shown to have just gone to play with the Zora's (which was cool). I don't see what about his limited character gives the idea that he wouldn't hang around for a little. I did really like the drawing of him and Skull Kid as friends, that was sweet.

The Happy Mask Salesman is a very mysterious figure but his dialogue at the end was needlessly bland. I wouldn't want it to explain what his motives or backstory is exactly, but ultimately his ending scene did nothing for his character. It just felt like little thought went into him other than that he's "creepy, mysterious and a little supernatural". Just like Navi leaving in Ocarina of Time, he started a story but the reasons behind it didn't seem planned out much beyond that. I did like the whole backstory with the giants, masks and the Moon environment though. And I'm fine with Termina being a mystery. But I think there's good and bad ways for characters and plot elements to remain mysterious.

Ultimately the 3 day structure was extremely unique and creative, but it didn't improve my Zelda experience. It was a little too sad about not being able to permanently help people. But I'm not a fan of timed games in general so I expected as much. I still enjoyed my time with the game a lot.

BizzyBum

Never played the N64 version and currently just starting the Zora section. I like it so far but I'm just not a fan of the 3 day deadline. I'm usually meticulous when it comes to games like this and I always feel rushed, even with the reverse song of time on.

I'm still enjoying it, but I have no idea how people think this is better than OoT.

TheMoon

Wow, I just witnessed the thief on his way to sell his stuff for the first time ever. Didn't know this was a thing you could actually watch. Awesome stuff.

When is a good time to start doing side quests? I've completed the first dungeon and only have 3 masks. I don't seem to be able to complete any of the sidequests that I've unlocked right now because I probably need other masks. Should I just head towards the second dungeon at this point?

Any time. You could've completed a bunch of them before ever setting foot into the first dungeon area even. Remember, time bends to your will.

Never played the N64 version and currently just starting the Zora section. I like it so far but I'm just not a fan of the 3 day deadline. I'm usually meticulous when it comes to games like this and I always feel rushed, even with the reverse song of time on.

I'm still enjoying it, but I have no idea how people think this is better than OoT.

First thing you need to do is stop thinking of it like a deadline. You have infinite time. You can't possibly run out of time if you're smart and plan ahead so that you only start to tackle more involved things that you know you can complete. It's made even more comfortable since you can now just do safety saves if you're worried about messing something up.

Gsnap

Yeah, guys. Try not to worry about the time. It's the npcs that are all gonna die in 3 days, not you. The 3 days is a crutch, sure. But you've got the ocarina, so all you gotta do is just turn that crutch into a tool.

Having just come from a cycle where I completed the Kafei and Anju sidequest I was almost hit by something of an emotional gut punch when on day 2 of the next cycle I strolled past the inn as Anju just happened to be leaving for a sorrowful stroll over to the laundry pool where she effectively breaks down upon being spoken to, a cruel reminder of the resetting of time.
I'm not sure I ever came across this little scenario in my previous plays, alas ringing the bell for Kafei doesn't lead to anything more as expected.
This sidequest is full of optional little details and conversations that flesh it out more both good and bad, its fantastic really and here I was just back in town to stock up for the Gibdos well.

Wow, I just witnessed the thief on his way to sell his stuff for the first time ever. Didn't know this was a thing you could actually watch. Awesome stuff.
Now this one I do remember, I actually thought I had to do it as part of the sidequest the other day but it's just another optional and neat touch to the whole saga.
Curiosity Shop man drives a hard bargain.

Just makes me wonder what little tidbits I'm still missing in this game.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

?

All you do is swim in a straight line. They even added small currents to help you jump out of the water. What was newly frustrating?

Tookay

Beat the game and got 100% of the rest of the stuff I had to finish up this morning. Enjoy a lot about the game, especially transformations and the dark atmosphere. Glad to finally beat it too, after about 3 attempts at beating the N64 version years ago.

Ending feelings:
I thought it was a little disappointing. Link leaving the festival and Skull Kid and the fairies just seemed odd, especially considering he then is shown to have just gone to play with the Zora's (which was cool). I don't see what about his limited character gives the idea that he wouldn't hang around for a little. I did really like the drawing of him and Skull Kid as friends, that was sweet.

The Happy Mask Salesman is a very mysterious figure but his dialogue at the end was needlessly bland. I wouldn't want it to explain what his motives or backstory is exactly, but ultimately his ending scene did nothing for his character. It just felt like little thought went into him other than that he's "creepy, mysterious and a little supernatural". Just like Navi leaving in Ocarina of Time, he started a story but the reasons behind it didn't seem planned out much beyond that. I did like the whole backstory with the giants, masks and the Moon environment though. And I'm fine with Termina being a mystery. But I think there's good and bad ways for characters and plot elements to remain mysterious.

Ultimately the 3 day structure was extremely unique and creative, but it didn't improve my Zelda experience. It was a little too sad about not being able to permanently help people. But I'm not a fan of timed games in general so I expected as much. I still enjoyed my time with the game a lot.
Link leaving before a celebration is just what he does. He's a wandering hero: he comes upon a strange land, fixes its problems, and heads out to do it all over again.

And I'm not sure what makes the Happy Mask Salesman's dialogue "bland." His line about meetings and partings is probably one of the most memorable of the entire series. He didn't need to offer any game-changing line, just a summation of its themes.

Roto13

I like that you can straight-up murder Sakon by shooting him with an arrow while he's running around with the bomb shop lady's bag.

There's a lot you can do before the first dungeon. There's a lot you can do between dungeons as well. I'm spending so much time just doing things. I love it. I like managing my time so I can do a lot in one cycle. I also take my time getting to each dungeon. I've completed two dungeons so far, and both times I entered the dungeon in the middle of the Second Day. Both times I finished beating the boss during the final hours countdown. It was quite nerve wracking!

Neiteio

I like that you can straight-up murder Sakon by shooting him with an arrow while he's running around with the bomb shop lady's bag.
You gotta wear the Garo's Mask when you do this. And you gotta be standing in the tree.

It has to be this way.

Top Bottom