• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3D |OT| Remakes are a Nice Thing to Have… Heh, heh

Mr-Joker

Banned
So, I have a question about the Anju/Kafei sidequest. I guess I'll spoiler it for the super sensitive.

So, I forgot that you had to get Epona to finish this quest and hadn't got the Goron's mask yet to use the powder keg. I did the majority of the sidequest , got the Keaton mask and the Postman's hat and everything, but since I didn't have the time to get Epona I just restarted the day. My question is do I have to do the whole thing over again with the letter and the pendant and the meeting, or will Kafei be in the canyon? I'm assuming I do have to do it all again, but I wasn't sure

You can skip
picking Kafei's letter to his mother part.
but everything else you have to do again.

I don't recall using a Powder Keg in this scenario. But yes, every time you reset the cycle, you reset the quest in its entirety.

You need
Epona to get the Garro mask and into Ikana valley.

Revven

Finished Great Bay Temple a few hours ago. I'm not a fan of Gyorg's second phase change, it's kind of RNG based
because it relies on where Gyorg goes and where the mines are relative to him and you can't always have a mine right where he is...
. Just makes for a really annoying fight rather than it being fun.

Next time I play I'm going to attempt to do the hardest sidequest... Imma coming Anjuuuu.

So, wait, the OT says you can save Pictograph pictures to your 3DS, but I haven't been able to find a way to do that at all. Is that actually a feature?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finished Great Bay Temple a few hours ago. I'm not a fan of Gyorg's second phase change, it's kind of RNG based
because it relies on where Gyorg goes and where the mines are relative to him and you can't always have a mine right where he is...

Next time I play I'm going to attempt to do the hardest sidequest... Imma coming Anjuuuu.

I also just finished it and wasn't a fan of it. I found it basically necessary to stand on the ground and run around instead of swimming so I could line up mines easily.

Also going through the dungeon made me realize you spend the majority of the time walking underwater instead of swimming anyway, but I feel like most of my posts harp on this bad mechanic change so I'll try to stop.

SirNinja

Thread about it here: www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1000289

1) no more "ERROR" messages
2) fixed the glitch with the sword at the Honey and Darling Minigame, that allows you to go swordless. The exploit can be used to use any item (including the Fierce Deity's Mask) from anywher in the game.
3) more stability jokes

Honestly, the update seems like it's a pure negative. I don't know much about the glitch, but at face value it sounds like they paid someone to waste their time actively making the game worse.

You can't be serious. Removal of error messages (which say nothing but "ERROR!****") is a negative somehow? Or improved stability? Those are seriously making the game worse to you, to the point where you thought it sounded like there's a hired saboteur on the patch team?

I just...don't know what to say. That was a mind-numbingly bizarre thing to read.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
You can't be serious. Removal of error messages (which say nothing but "ERROR!****") is a negative somehow? Or improved stability? Those are seriously making the game worse to you, to the point where you thought it sounded like there's a hired saboteur on the patch team?

I just...don't know what to say. That was a mind-numbingly bizarre thing to read.

For the future: when you don't know a whole lot about something, it's usually best not to immediately assume the craziest, most implausible, and/or most cynically pessimistic scenario. But especially not the craziest.

I think he meant the honey and darling fix since it was something for the fierce deity mask anywhere.

Shauni

I don't know if I'll call it the hardest, but I do think it's probably the most time consuming one.

emb

It looks like that would almost always be triggered very intentionally. I don't understand this idea that, as an end user, seeing a glitch is a bad thing. It erases my save? Sure, that needs to go. It soft locks the game? Eh, that's temporary, I feel like it depends entirely on how commonly it can occur to users who don't want it.

I would say that what's in the video looks like something fun to try and do, not like any sort of problem. From what I've read, the ability to use Fierce Diety mask anywhere is also removed here (and from the video, it looks like that cool screwed up time/color thing would be gone too).

Pretend edit:
Ok, I Googled the actual steps, and you do have a point. Not with anything you mentioned, but apparently it can cause you to permanently lose (a?) mask(s?), so that's kinda scary:
Warning: Don't do this on your main save. You will not get your mask(s) back. Create a copy to ensure you don't overwrite something on accident / cause any other unexpected problems.

Still, the steps sound too deliberate to be worth removing fun aspects of the game:
First:
Enter the thawed Hot Spring Hole before Goron Village.
Put your Gibdo Mask on your Y or X Key.
Bottle some Hot Spring Water on the other key, don't move.
ESS: Z-Target to get your camera behind you. Gently pull the control stick to the bottom left or right, make Link slowly rotate. Before Link faces you, press the Bottle Button and immediately, nearly at the same time, after press the mask button. Bottle Button first, Mask button second. If done correctly, you will put on your Gibdo Mask as you are emptying the bottle. The button that had your mask will now be an empty bottle. If it fails, bottle more water and retry until success.

Actual edit:
He said "pure negative", meaning every single change of the three listed.

Plus, there's still the hot spring water method of going FD, so no harm no foul. (Unless of course they fixed that too.)
You're right, that's my bad for not writing more carefully. For the stability stuff, I just don't expect much to come of it. It's the stock update change they always list. But it could be something significant, yeah.

Also, wait, that's not part of the same thing? Sorry, I probably should stop jumping to conclusions. Lol, now I feel dumb. Yeah, no worries though, and thanks for the links.

Revven

I also just finished it and wasn't a fan of it. I found it basically necessary to stand on the ground and run around instead of swimming so I could line up mines easily.

The swimming changes really make the fight harder than it is, too. The old Gyorg second phase was perfectly fine (and in fact you can still damage him the same way, just that he moves so fast and he doesn't stay still for long).

That second phase change is probably my second thing I don't like about this remaster (the first being the swimming changes).

emb

You might be surprised. People do some weird stuff with their games sometimes, whether accidentally or intentionally. Some players have already found ways to ruin their save files through experimentation, so it's generally much better that these glitches get taken out.
Haha, yeah, that is pretty true. And wow at the video. I don't think I can disagree much any more. Thanks for taking the time to educate me even though I was being obnoxious. :D

mrmickfran

I remember back when I played Majora's Mask back on the GameCube like 10 years ago, I was in North Clock Town and some lady got her purse or something stolen.

Does this actually happen or am I remembering things wrong, because I'm in Deku Palace and I know I didn't get that far back then >.>

Rich!

I remember back when I played Majora's Mask back on the GameCube like 10 years ago, I was in North Clock Town and some lady got her purse or something stolen.

Does this actually happen or am I remembering things wrong, because I'm in Deku Palace and I know I didn't get that far back then >.>

Yep it does

Around 10pm or so on the first day. Sakon the thief steals the bomb bag from the lady from the bomb shop. Stop him and you get the bomb mask....and other things change too.

Edzi

You didn't imagine it, it just happens at a specific time.

Draconian

Wow, I just failed the end of the Kafei/Anju quest badly. With the new save system and song of double time, I don't feel as bad though!

zigg

Come at me and all, but swimming is now basically perfect. Beaver races were pieces of cake. 🍰

Are you all aware you can invert the Y-axis in options, by the way?

JeTmAn81

Anybody else play through most of this game before finding out you can skip the mask transformation animations by just hitting the button again? Ay yi yi...

Giant eyeball.

But does the giant eyeball just replace, say, hitting his face after you downed him from hitting him as a spiked Goron? I don't remember. I just beat him and I knocked him down from catching up to him and and running into him, he'd then fall and then I would fire arrow the eyeball. Does the eyeball present a totally different way to take on the boss fight that I didn't consider? Because of what I can remember this battle went pretty similarly to when I did it on the N64.

zigg

But does the giant eyeball just replace, say, hitting his face after you downed him from hitting him as a spiked Goron? I don't remember. I just beat him and I knocked him down from catching up to him and and running into him, he'd then fall and then I would fire arrow the eyeball. Does the eyeball present a totally different way to take on the boss fight that I didn't consider? Because of what I can remember this battle went pretty similarly to when I did it on the N64.
Nah, it's pretty similar otherwise. I don't think it's appreciably different. Giant eyeball is the only difference I noticed.

Unrelated fun picture:

Something about the second spider house hits the right spot for me, plus any excuse for the captains hat, I chopped a stalchild's head off and it still chatted to me about its mask related findings, what a trooper.

Molemitts

Something about the second spider house hits the right spot for me, plus any excuse for the captains hat, I chopped a stalchild's head off and it still chatted to me about its mask related findings, what a trooper.

The second spider house is one of my favourite spots in the game. It has a really nice theme, atmosphere and feels real because of the stalchildren exploring it.

Come at me and all, but swimming is now basically perfect. Beaver races were pieces of cake. 🍰

Are you all aware you can invert the Y-axis in options, by the way?
Glad to see someone else who likes the new swimming! It feels much better and more smooth than the original game, I like it. The added challenge of having to keep your magic bar up is nice as well.

shiyrley

Banned
I can't manage to
get the 7th bottle, the extra one added to this remaster
The leader will ignore me when using the correct mask
, already tried a few different things but didn't really bother, I'm just doing some other sidequests at the moment. Can anyone help me out on this? ^^

I can't manage to
, already tried a few different things but didn't really bother, I'm just doing some other sidequests at the moment. Can anyone help me out on this? ^^

You can't have the Inverted Song of Time active.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I can't manage to

You need to first talk to the gorman while wearing the mask in stock pot inn on the second day at 12:00 then head to his bro ranch with the mask, get the bottle and deliver it to gorman.

You can't have the Inverted Song of Time active.

Not true, I had Inverted Song of Time active and it allowed me to do it.

So I picked this up the other day, and pre-ordered Codename S.T.E.A.M. at the same time. This is my first time playing Majora's Mask, and man, is it something... It's been a few cycles already, but I still haven't made it to the Woodfall Temple yet though, because I've been too busy just doing sidequests and wandering aimlessly around Clock Town. As for how I feel about that? Well, I'm going to need some more time to think and type up a fuller post about that... the least I can say so far (I guess) is that it certainly has been thought-provoking...

jepense

Glad to see someone else who likes the new swimming! It feels much better and more smooth than the original game, I like it. The added challenge of having to keep your magic bar up is nice as well.
Yeah, the beaver race is super easy now because you don't need to boost. Just swim slowly through the rings and ignore the beaver. I did this and only boosted on the long straights and had about 20 seconds to spare in the last race. Sure it was more fun to fast swim all the time in the original, but the slow swim is definitely much more accurate.

Chuckie

Wow...the inverted Y-axis really worked with the swimming! Won the Beaver races instantly.

there are only four aren't there...after the piece of heart it is done?

foltzie1

Oh my word, are the game at Honey & Darling's ever annoying, at least in the first two days and even the third, but I seem to have arrow targeting down.

Ambitious

Just finished Snowhead Temple. Now might be a good time to do a few side quests, I think. Do I have the required items for the Skulltulla house in the swamp yet?

edit: Nope, still need the Hookshot.

Soodanim

I wanted to wait until my CPP got here to start playing, and it just arrived! And now...I need to charge my 3DS. Shouldn't have left it on standby for days.

I wanted the CPP because of the camera and because I wanted to make holding and using the XL more comfortable, but aside from the shoulder buttons it hasn't had as much of an impact as I'd hoped. As much as I could logically expect from something that isn't a controller style grip, though.

Neiteio

Just finished Snowhead Temple. Now might be a good time to do a few side quests, I think. Do I have the required items for the Skulltulla house in the swamp yet?

edit: Nope, still need the Hookshot.
You can do the swamp spider house right after the first dungeon. I did it well before Snowhead.

I thought you needed it too ? Some tokens would be hard to get without it
Anyway hookshot makes it less of a chore if you want to wait for it, and the reward is not too exciting :p

Top Bottom