• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

maxcriden

Ah, the nostalgia of these Zelda Gaiden beta screens.
1gaiden.jpg
Gaiden2.jpg
3gaiden.jpg

Ooh, I think I remember the first two. I would've been 11 or so when those were premiered.

mantidor

He did, you don't see him but you see part of the wedding from his point of view and his height is just as tall as Anju
Unless he's actually still a kid and he's standing on a stool for the ceremony XD

He is walking, so he is of that height.

It was a clever way to show it without having to do a 3D model of something that was going to be 2 seconds on screen.

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I liked MM better than OoT from the start. Where do I line up to get my Cool Card?

Seriously, back in the day, I immediately took to how immersive the world was (and still is) in Majora's Mask. Termina is a world you can "live" in (which is ironic, since it's also a world where the moon threatens to kill everyone).

Remember how in OoT, certain places like the graveyard and windmill felt mysterious, like there was something more to them just beyond the periphery of what the players could see? Every character and every place has that feeling in Majora's Mask. Even today, knowing fully well how polygons and sprites work, my suspension of disbelief is complete because the characters and world in this game are so well-realized that I buy into the fiction hook, line and sinker.

I think this game works on the same wavelength as dark children's classics like Roald Dahl ("Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "James and the Giant Peach"), in that its strange and melancholic qualities spark the imagination that much more. All other Zeldas seem so bland by comparison.

Ocarina of Time is Disney's Red Riding Hood, and Majora's Mask is the original version by the Brothers Grimm.

Stylo

It has been proven that Ocarina of Time 3D is built upon the N64 code. The ROM has been decrypted and looked into thoroughly. It is built upon the same base code as the N64 version, uses the same system calls and basic geometry and even includes beta textures and models from the original N64 game.

This isn't even mentioning that almost every glitch from OOT 64 is still in OOT 3D, even the really obscure ones. Why? Same basic code. Hell, Ocarina of Time 3D even includes the original v1.1 fire temple music with chanting hidden inside the ROM, as well as this beta room from the N64 version that was never actually used:

Cool! It'd be awesome if there were a way to patch the game to use the original Fire Temple chants again.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I have to say, I'm pretty surprised Nintendo actually went ahead and did this. I know MM has gotten a bigger sense of appreciation over the years on message boards and such, but it's still the worst selling console Zelda.

I mean, it's definitely a good thing for all the MM fans, I'm just surprised Aonuma followed through with it.

zeldablue

Huga huga...

This has been in the making for 4 years!?! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

OKAY THEN.

I have to say, I'm pretty surprised Nintendo actually went ahead and did this. I know MM has gotten a bigger sense of appreciation over the years on message boards and such, but it's still the worst selling console Zelda.

I mean, it's definitely a good thing for all the MM fans, I'm just surprised Aonuma followed through with it.

Majora's Mask was a bit of a back stabbing back in 2000. We all wanted a bigger and badder Zelda and we ended up with a smaller, more personable one with a heavy focus on sidequests/minigames instead of dungeons. And then when TWW came out it also didn't have much in the dungeon department. MM was a terrible black sheep and a lot of fans had a ton of gripes with it. Especially over the high tension and sometimes unfair difficulty.

I appreciated MM more and more as I realized that is was an amazingly special experience that I didn't quite "get" when I was 9 years old. Also the "darkness" of the game made it hard for me to play. MM puts a lot more trust in the player compared to any of the other console titles. It expects you to learn and understand quickly and gives you a lot of room to screw up with time management.

Fiktion

Banned

Think of all the people who never played/finished the game who will be experiencing it for the first time. That's the best part of this. A whole new generation of players will finally be exposed to the best Zelda.

Majora's Mask was a bit of a back stabbing back in 2000. We all wanted a bigger and badder Zelda and we ended up with a smaller, more personable one with a heavy focus on sidequests/minigames instead of dungeons. And then when TWW came out it also didn't have much in the dungeon department. MM was a terrible black sheep and a lot of fans had a ton of gripes with it. Especially over the high tension and sometimes unfair difficulty.

I appreciated MM more and more as I realized that is was an amazingly special experience that I didn't quite "get" when I was 9 years old. Also the "darkness" of the game made it hard for me to play. MM puts a lot more trust in the player compared to any of the other console titles. It expects you to learn and understand quickly and gives you a lot of room to screw up with time management.
From the very beginning, I always liked Majora's Mask better than Ocarina of Time. The depth of the characters and world made OoT seem downright shallow. I couldn't go back.

- A more defined Boss rush mode would be one (although there is kind of a similar system if
once you complete all four dungeons

- A hero mode with double damage would be another

- A super guide system too

I'm not sure what else they can add unless they plan to add new content to the game.
I'm gonna go on and say Master Quest is a given. There are only four dungeons to rework and you don't have to change anything outside of the the core game for it to work. I hope they make Rockvale devilishly hard. I want to be stumped and feel the pressure of the clock ticking.

TheMoon

Think of all the people who never played/finished the game who will be experiencing it for the first time. That's the best part of this. A whole new generation of players will finally be exposed to the best Zelda.

It's quite encouraging that they're trying to hammer home the point that Zelda doesn't have to be one thing all the time, I feel. With the gameplay twists in ALBW and now the big reintroduction of MM I feel this bodes very well for Zelda U.

georly

- A more defined Boss rush mode would be one (although there is kind of a similar system if
once you complete all four dungeons

- A hero mode with double damage would be another

- A super guide system too

I'm not sure what else they can add unless they plan to add new content to the game.

It'd be cool if hero mode was mirrored, too.

Best case scenario is that we'd get new stuff for the bomber's notebook, like whole new quests, but I don't see that happening.

It does seem like they added markers to the clock/time thing so you can see when quest events take place without having to look at the book over and over.

Breloom

Neo Member
I wonder if/how they will change the saving mechanic because that's one of the reasons why I and many others wanted to drop the game. I'm glad I didn't though because it's now one of my favourite games of all time. I've forgotten a lot of the stuff in this game so it's gonna be great reliving all those memories. Super excited!

FluxWaveZ

Oh yeah, the save system is probably the only negative thing I could think of in regards to Majora's Mask. Wonder if that'll be reworked.

FluxWaveZ

What problem do you have with it?

It's been a long while since I've last played the game so I'm actually not too sure anymore, but I think I remember the owl statues sometimes not being where I'd want them to be, and having to travel to one in order to save being restrictive.

georly

It's been a long while since I've last played the game so I'm actually not too sure anymore, but I think I remember the owl statues sometimes not being where I'd want them to be, and having to travel to one in order to save being restrictive.

At the very least, closing the 3DS suspends the game. As long as you can keep the battery charged, you can basically quit/resume at any point you want.

Persona7

Banned

Those are just checkpoints, they don't save your progress.

FluxWaveZ

At the very least, closing the 3DS suspends the game. As long as you can keep the battery charged, you can basically quit/resume at any point you want.

Yeah, if anything, the game being on the 3DS would inherently make that process easier.

Those are just checkpoints, they don't save your progress.

Wait... am I misremembering? I could have sworn that there were only two ways of saving in that game: getting to one of the owl statues or going back to Day 1.

SirNinja

Oh yeah, the save system is probably the only negative thing I could think of in regards to Majora's Mask. Wonder if that'll be reworked.

The save system will be different in some way. When playing the Song of Time in the 3D version, the prompt this time is simply "Return to the Dawn of the First Day?", rather than "Save and return to...?".

Best theory at the moment is that the owl statues will be used for hard saves this time around (rather than suspend saves), much like the weather vanes in A Link Between Worlds. This would be a good balance between MM's once-per-cycle way of saving and Ocarina's "save anywhere" system.

Persona7

Banned
Yeah, if anything, the game being on the 3DS would inherently make that process easier.

Wait... am I misremembering? I could have sworn that there were only two ways of saving in that game: getting to one of the owl statues or going back to Day 1.

The owl statues are just quick checkpoints in case you have to quit playing but want to continue from the same spot later. To save your progress you still have to play the song of time.

I do remember a lot of people being pissed because they thought the owl statues were permanent saves and then ended up losing all their progress because they just turned the system off.

FluxWaveZ

The owl statues are just quick checkpoints in case you have to quit playing but want to continue from the same spot later. To save your progress you still have to play the song of time.

Ah, the quick save from the statues must have been what I had an issue with, so...

The save system will be different in some way. When playing the Song of Time in the 3D version, the prompt this time is simply "Return to the Dawn of the First Day?", rather than "Save and return to...?".

Best theory at the moment is that the owl statues will be used for hard saves this time around (rather than suspend saves), much like the weather vanes in A Link Between Worlds. This would be a good balance between MM's once-per-cycle way of saving and Ocarina's "save anywhere" system.

...if the owl statues are now hard saves, I agree that that would strike a good balance for the save system, instead of having to return to the first day.

TheMoon

I remember when a friend uploaded these to The GIA and then came back and was like "It just looks like fucking OoT again"

I think that was the reaction a lot of people had

I never bought the game when it came out. Today this baffles me. But it might be because during exactly that time is when I got my first PC and got distracted by new shiny toy syndrome. Plus I remember reading in magazines that the game was "hard" which younger me translated into "OMG I will never make it through this!" and thus ignored. I feel I redeemed myself though by buying Wind Waker and not falling victim to the "I wantz teh dark Zeruda!" nonsense. :D

Persona7

Banned
I could have sworn they showed goron link in the first round of zelda gaiden screenshots but I don't think so. I remember thinking that was really cool.

TheMoon

I could have sworn they showed goron link in the first round of zelda gaiden screenshots but I don't think so. I remember thinking that was really cool.

You are actually right. I have an old German magazine that has a pic of Zelda Gaiden's Goron Link from the October 1999 issue. What are the rules about scans of magazines from the last millennium in foreign languages? Are those fair game?

Psxphile

I do remember a lot of people being pissed because they thought the owl statues were permanent saves and then ended up losing all their progress because they just turned the system off.

You could probably word this better. Obviously the game doesn't lose the suspend save until after it's reloaded, in which case you had better perform the Song before the end of the Final Day to keep your completion progress secured.

I think MM was the first game I ever played that had suspend saves. It's a bit of a different beast from regular saves so it's not surprising for people to be confused on how it works.

Jamix012

Ah, the quick save from the statues must have been what I had an issue with, so...

...if the owl statues are now hard saves, I agree that that would strike a good balance for the save system, instead of having to return to the first day.

No it wouldn't be a good balance IMO. Maybe for a theoretical "easy" mode.

I'll be utterly disappointed with the remake if there isn't at least a mode that runs with the original save system.

TheMoon

The amount of discussion about the save system here really surprises me. I find this all quite inconsequential. Right now, if I really want to save I can do that. I'm gonna have to return to the first day sooner or later anyway. If I can suddenly save on the second day and resume on the second day, it doesn't really change anything since I still have to go back eventually to take care of business that requires first day events. It's entirely a convenience thing. Don't work yourself up over this as if it made the game somehow harder or significantly altered its challenge/appeal.

Nicktendo86

All this MM talk has made me break out my OOT3D cart, forgot how good the 3D in the game is. The ice particles at Zora's Domain, ummm. Can't wait to see how good MM3D looks on my 3DS.

wrowa

Here's your Goron Link from September '99.

If 15 year old magazine scans aren't allowed let me know and I'll remove it.

I don't think you need to worry about the scan, but you should be ashamed of yourself for reading N-Zone back in the day! Total and 64 Power (was it already called Big N at the time? Can't remember) were so much better. :p

TheMoon

I don't think you need to worry about the scan, but you should be ashamed of yourself for reading N-Zone back in the day! Total and 64 Power (was it already called Big N at the time? Can't remember) were so much better. :p

You should've told me that 17 years ago. I finally rid myself of my subscription two years ago or so lol. Felt bad for them and I liked having a Nintendo mag in these times. What a waste of money^^

So what's the distinction betwee "Master Quest" and "Hero Mode" in the Zelda series? Master Quest is mirrored, harder, and with reworked dungeons, while Hero Mode is just harder?

Top Bottom