• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

SHarris78

Cheers Neiteio, sounds good!

Yes Fiktion i've seen Groudhog Day, lets hope the final third of MM is better than the final third of that :)

Edit: thanks for the extra info Fiktion, sounds like a rewarding experience, looking forward to hopefully finishing the 'completely' (though i've yet to finish OOT!!!!!)

I also have never played MM, but this makes me wonder, can you restart the cycle as many times as you WANT or is there a limit by which you HAVE to have beaten the game then?

Rich!

I also have never played MM, but this makes me wonder, can you restart the cycle as many times as you WANT or is there a limit by which you HAVE to have beaten the game then?

You are in full control to do whatever you want. The game does not have a time limit, purely a repeating three day schedule.

zeldarocks

Neo Member

Fiktion

Banned
Trivia: The original Japanese name for the Fierce Deity's Mask is actually the Demon's Mask, and the form Link acquires by wearing it is called Demon Link. Of course that translation would make it too cool, so it's Fierce Deity Link for us.

That reminds me I can't wait to see the new Fierce Deity Link model.

It sort of highlights how dark and surreal the game is when Link's ultimate weapon is another evil mask to match Majora's.

Rich!

Trivia: The original Japanese name for the Fierce Deity's Mask is actually the Demon's Mask, and the form Link acquires by wearing it is called Demon Link. Of course that translation would make it too cool, so it's Fierce Deity Link for us.

In fact, the Fierce Deity is speculated (or was it confirmed?) to be the rival of Majora who has battled him for millenia.

Neiteio

You can restart the cycle as many times as you want. It's also a great way to replay your favorite quests and dungeons without having to start a new file.

Does anybody else not really register this as a "Zelda" game in your mind?

The game is so character focused in a way that almost no other Zelda game is, the focus is most certainly not on the dungeons, and the themes of failure and death are so much more central and prevalent to the entire aesthetic of the game compared to almost every other Zelda.

Every other game in the series feels like it runs on almost the exact same theme: "Let's save the world and have fun with some of these characters along the way!". How often do you find a character in Zelda who is truly in peril like the characters in Termina, who has not simply lost their chickens or other general trinkets?

The fact that it is built on the same engine and assets seems almost secondary, especially to the designers. Granted I have not play every single game in the series, but I have played the majority of them and have come out feeling like this game doesn't fit, to the point where I don't even categorize it to be the same.

Like, if someone said they didn't like Zelda games, I would still recommend they try this one because it's not even the same kind of game to me.

Fiktion

Banned

The game is so character focused in a way that almost no other Zelda game is, the focus is most certainly not on the dungeons, and the themes of failure and death are so much more central and prevalent to the entire aesthetic of the game compared to almost every other Zelda.

Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker were each very unique, had their own strong identities, and were extremely charming and awesome in different ways. To me, those three represent the Golden Age of Zelda.

Typhares

I haven't played that game since the N64 era, finally a good excuse to do it again.

Now with the new 3DS apparently capable of running Wii games I have a dream that we could get WW and TP on it making it the ultimate Zelda platform!

Majukun

That reminds me I can't wait to see the new Fierce Deity Link model.

It sort of highlights how dark and surreal the game is when Link's ultimate weapon is another evil mask to match Majora's.
actually it's called the oni mask,oni are kinda like japanese ogres more than demons.also,usually japanese kids call the one who catches others when playing tags the 'oni',that's why in the western release majora tells you are gonna be the 'bad guy',in the japanese it just says that you are gonna play the 'oni' when you 'play',and gives you a fitting mask

Persona7

Banned
because I'm bored as hell, here's my favourite ever video game skies:

just the colours alone can add so much atmosphere to a scene

Those are great, I feel the same way. Another thing I like is the backdrops in Conkers Bad Fur Day where you can see different parts of the game world.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Question..
Everytime you go to the dawn of the first day the quests reset (you still keep the mask rewards), so.. is it possible to help everyone in a single 3 day cycle and then beat the game? I dont think I ever tried that..

Nope.

For instance, IIRC, if you save the bomb shop lady from Sakkon's mugging (thus ensuring that the bomb shop is properly stocked), Sakkon won't show up at the Pawn Shop on day 2, thus Kafei won't spot sakkon or go to ikana valley on day 3, thus you can't complete anju/kafei's quest. Kafei will just sit in his hideout, eyeing the pawn shop, waiting for Sakkon to show up, until the moon falls.

There are other examples.

So basically, while the ending shows everyone you helped in any given cycle happy, you actually cant help them all, ever.

Edit:

I think I recall a couple of quest that needed you at the end of the 3rd day in two different places
Anju and Kafei, and the old lady quest iirc
Speaking of that couple, I wish they showed grown Kafei. You see through his eye
s at the wedding during the ending but you don't actually see him grown up.

Does anybody know whether the CE will be up on other stores besides GAME UK and the Nintendo Official Store? I see Amazon UK has the regular edition up, but not the CE.

Rich!

Does anybody know whether the CE will be up on other stores besides GAME UK and the Nintendo Official Store? I see Amazon UK has the regular edition up, but not the CE.

Not a chance, at least here in the UK.

It looks to be a 100% nintendo store / GAME exclusive. Just order from the nintendo official store now - they dont charge until shipping.

Lernaean

Banned

I haven't seen any Nintendo CE on Amazon UK for ages, so i'd leave that out.
Also lately, all the Nintendo CEs are GAME exclusives in the UK.

Edit: I understand the concerns. I prefer Amazon UK as well. I had a SE Bayonetta 2 ordered from Amazon UK and the LE from GAME.
I was playing the game on release day with Amazon's overnight shipping and my LE from GAME arrived two days ago, so i get it.
But, if it makes you feel any better, being forced to use GAME for Nintendo CE stuff, i have used it twice and both times it was packed just fine and came in great condition.
Maybe i was lucky, maybe those who had problems were just unlucky, idk, but i have my MM3D preorder on GAME, and I'm not really afraid, if anything, I'm relieved i have it preordered.

Rich!

I would if I could, but I'm in Spain. I guess I'll take the risk to see if any stores will sell the CE around here.

Ah right. I dont think you will have any issues - its a europe special edition, it wouldnt have the USK rating if it was UK only.

Its probably just taking longer to negotiate with European retailers, thats all.

Of course you need to go through the 3 days multiple times, that's the whole point and what makes the game unique. Ever seen Groundhog Day? If not, do so, and you'll immediately appreciate why this is a brilliant idea.

You've only truly completed Majora's Mask once you've collected all the masks, and to do that you have to come to understand the people and places around you, how they behave and change over the three days, and solve their problems. There are NPCs who in any other game would be pointless cardboard cutouts, and at first glance they're total strangers. But being able to relive the three days allows you to get to know all of them on an intimate level. This is rewarding in its own right, and you get an expanded ending, but the game also rewards you by giving you the most awesome Zelda item in whole series when you're done:

It makes you feel like God, and by that time you've earned it.

Definitely co-signing this post. Take the time to grab all the masks and do the side quests. You'll realize the brilliance of this game and the ideas behind it.

I remember finding out through a nintendo player's guide back when I was a kid that you could obtain this "fierce diety" mask and once I went through the trouble of getting it--

It was definitely rewarding at the end. Majora literally has nothing on you.

linkboy

Definitely co-signing this post. Take the time to grab all the masks and do the side quests. You'll realize the brilliance of this game and the ideas behind it.

I remember finding out through a nintendo player's guide back when I was a kid that you could obtain this "fierce diety" mask and once I went through the trouble of getting it--

It was definitely rewarding at the end. Majora literally has nothing on you.

What was even more fun was the glitch that you could trigger to allow you to wear the Fierce Diety Mask outside of boss rooms.

Those poor blobs in Termina Field didn't know what hit them when I did that.

SuperSah

Banned
I saw the trailer again.

I never played MM, damn, the trailer gives me the creeps.

It looks like a dark turn for Zelda. Is it so?

Rich!

I saw the trailer again.

Read this:

as I posted before,

I wouldn't say it's scary in the traditional sense. It's harrowing and emotional throughout. You develop personal involvement with each character throughout the days, and you witness characters go through the stages of denial and grief before accepting (or not) their certain deaths. You help ease the pain of a wounded character, who dies. You then turn his soul into a mask and transform into him with a twisted cutscene of you screaming in pain. You encounter a mother and child who have to accept that they will both die the next day. You meet characters who stay upbeat and positive for the first two days, only to end up cowering in their rooms during the final hours of their life once they realize that yes, they too are going to die and no one is going to save them.

There is a constant feel of dread and the atmosphere is constantly foreboding, dark and twisted throughout. The few elements of happiness are tinged with a surreal and disturbing feel. You help a separated couple get back together and marry in the final moments before the world ends. It's beautiful, yet bittersweet because even though they are now together, they have to comfort each other knowing the world will end in a few hours time, declaring they will not run or separate again and they will "see the morning arrive...together".

The antagonist, Majora, has no motive other than to cause pain and suffering by killing everyone. Even after you save the world, certain characters still have an unhappy ending - such as one who's son is murdered by Majora before entering Termina (and as such, Link's time travel could not fix that).

Hope that all helps you understand it a bit better. Twilight Princess is the Teletubbies compared to Majora's Mask. And Majora's Mask is certainly without a doubt the darkest and most disturbing game Nintendo have ever developed.

G.ZZZ

Nope.

For instance, IIRC, if you save the bomb shop lady from Sakkon's mugging (thus ensuring that the bomb shop is properly stocked), Sakkon won't show up at the Pawn Shop on day 2, thus Kafei won't spot sakkon or go to ikana valley on day 3, thus you can't complete anju/kafei's quest. Kafei will just sit in his hideout, eyeing the pawn shop, waiting for Sakkon to show up, until the moon falls.

There are other examples.

God how i love this game. The first time you go around and see some characters doing stuff, and you don't think anything of them. Then going on, you come to know something about them.... and you want to help them. But you can't. Then as time pass, you learn more things, and you can finally save them, and you feel satisfied.
Then you play the song of time and go back to the first day and... you see them again, with their sorrow, and you know exactly what they will go through, but you can't help them anymore because you have to do other things. And then it hits, the futility of all things, the inevitability of time and death, and the knowledge that any fleeting moment of joy is preceded by a lot of work that will be soon forgotten.

This game can hit you hard as a brick.

EDIT: If you think about it, all the game is about acceptance of loss. You start the game as a lone wolf that has no one anymore since you saved the world in OoT and reset the timeline, searching for Navi, the only friend that has followed you through all timelines, and your enemy is a lonely kid destined to become a stalfos too. Almost everyone you find in Termina has lost things (childs, love), and the whole world has this sense of impending end... And after the end, you're even more lonely than before, destined to become a Stalfos like every lost child in the forest. Jesus christ the hero of time really had the shittiest life. Aonuma plz do a game that give him a good ending for once ;_;

Altazor

Every other game in the series feels like it runs on almost the exact same theme: "Let's save the world and have fun with some of these characters along the way!". How often do you find a character in Zelda who is truly in peril like the characters in Termina, who has not simply lost their chickens or other general trinkets?

The fact that it is built on the same engine and assets seems almost secondary, especially to the designers. Granted I have not play every single game in the series, but I have played the majority of them and have come out feeling like this game doesn't fit, to the point where I don't even categorize it to be the same.

Like, if someone said they didn't like Zelda games, I would still recommend they try this one because it's not even the same kind of game to me.

the closest thing would be Link's Awakening considering (LA's spoilers :p)
Koholint Island and its inhabitants are just a dream of the Wind Fish and by waking him up, you're making them disappear

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I saw the trailer again.

game is extremely intense, atmospheric, creepy, downright scary. There are a lot of sad moments, and I mean a lot. Some sidequests made me cry, like that particular one at the very end of the game. You really feel like you're racing to save the world from armageddon. It's one of the reasons MM is still my favourite game of all time

Crisium

Completely agree. It's build on the same engine from OoT, has the same character models and items, but is so different.

Completely agree. It's build on the same engine from OoT, has the same character models and items, but is so different.

And it shows that you don't need to make forced changes ,,to the formula'' like removing items from the dungeons, to make the series feel different...

I hope when the say Spring 2015 they mean something like the last days of March and they also introduce the New N3DS with this game. I want to grab a Nintendo 3DS already But can't justify it Having the nn3ds around the córner.

Rich!

I hope when the say Spring 2015 they mean something like the last days of March and they also introduce the New N3DS with this game. I want to grab a Nintendo 3DS already But can't justify it Having the nn3ds around the córner.

If you are in Europe or UK, the english pal model comes out in australia in two weeks.

Fuck waiting, I'm importing it. If you are in america though then you have my condolences.

Is the Ben Drowned creepypasta worth reading? Just typing "Ben Drowned creepypasta" (twice, no less) made me cringe - I've never read one of these things before, and it looks stupidly long.

But I do love me some Majora's Mask

Worth the time investment?

I notice they added railings to the bridge in the Deku Palace. I wonder if they've simplified that section? It was quite easy to fall off a ledge and have to start over.

Speaking of which, I hope they fix that stupid jump at the end. I always jumped too far over and missed the lower ledge with the grotto hole.

Currygan

If you are in Europe or UK, the english pal model comes out in australia in two weeks.

Fuck waiting, I'm importing it. If you are in america though then you have my condolences.

sorry for the ot, but where from mate? I cant seem to find any sites selling it

SuperSah

Banned
game is extremely intense, atmospheric, creepy, downright scary. There are a lot of sad moments, and I mean a lot. Some sidequests made me cry, like that particular one at the very end of the game. You really feel like you're racing to save the world from armageddon. It's one of the reasons MM is still my favourite game of all time

Read this:

Holy fuck, wow.

Sounds like a dark turn for Nintendo.

Shit, I just got hyped! It sounds amazing! :D

Molemitts

Holy fuck, wow.

Sounds like a dark turn for Nintendo.

Shit, I just got hyped! It sounds amazing! :D

My first playthrough of Majora's Mask is something I'll never forget! I'm so jealous of anyone getting to experience it for the first time. Have fun with it, dude, and remember side quests and character interaction are much more important in this game, than in any other Zelda game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Majora's Mask resonates with a lot of people not just for its darker themes, but for how it emphasised a somewhat "living, breathing world", NPCs with character, and integrated these components deeply within the core gameplay formula. Where time in Ocarina was thematically important, its use was fairly binary: two time period, day and night. Juggling quests and how to interact with NPCs simply required management of these distinctions. I can meet X only at night in the future. Y will be in the forest during the day in the past. Etc.

Majora's Mask takes the idea of time and explores it in a more interesting way, far more multifaceted and richer in complexity of how quests play out and where NPCs are. The way this is tied into the story arc itself, Majora ending the world and Link controlling it, results in "time" having a very weighted presence in the game. In Ocarina it's easy to distill time down to just a game mechanic, because really future/past night/day might as well be dark/light world. In Majora time is always hanging over you, even with your power to change it's always ticking away. Makes the quests tethered to time/day feel all the more important and believable.

There's not really any other Zelda game like it.

diaspora

Majora's Mask resonates with a lot of people not just for its darker themes, but for how it emphasised a somewhat "living, breathing world", NPCs with character, and integrated these components deeply within the core gameplay formula. Where time in Ocarina was thematically important, its use was fairly binary: two time period, day and night. Juggling quests and how to interact with NPCs simply required management of these distinctions. I can meet X only at night in the future. Y will be in the forest during the day in the past. Etc.

Majora's Mask takes the idea of time and explores it in a more interesting way, far more multifaceted and richer in complexity of how quests play out and where NPCs are. The way this is tied into the story arc itself, Majora ending the world and Link controlling it, results in "time" having a very weighted presence in the game. In Ocarina it's easy to distill time down to just a game mechanic, because really future/past night/day might as well be dark/light world. In Majora time is always hanging over you, even with your power to change it's always ticking away. Makes the quests tethered to time/day feel all the more important and believable.

There's not really any other Zelda game like it.

Well said ;)

Rich!

sorry for the ot, but where from mate? I cant seem to find any sites selling it

PLAY-ASIA

N3DS XL METALLIC BLACK
N3DS XL BLUE
£165

STANDARD N3DS WHITE
£139

365GAMES (UK BASED)

NEW 3DS XL BLUE

£169.99

NEW 3DS XL STANDARD WHITE

£152.99

With Play Asia, you will get the console sooner and cheaper - but you run the risk of getting caught by customs. With 365Games, you have no chance of any extra charges as they ship from the UK - but they will not dispatch until the 28th (as they need to get their stock from australia first).

it is a PAL console so it will play all your UK stuff and work with your NNID.

to be honest, its a no brainer. why wait until mid next year when you can get a New Nintendo 3DS in two weeks from now with no regional restrictions?!

BowieZ

Banned
Which reminds me, I'm sure they'll release a really awesome purple Mask-emblazoned cover plate set for this for the standard model!

Rich!

Which reminds me, I'm sure they'll release a really awesome purple Mask-emblazoned cover plate set for this for the standard model!

even if they don't, the best thing about the faceplates is the fact that third party designs are possible and simple to manufacture!

...I'm getting a N3DS XL though, so ah well.

Zing

Banned
I'd assume they would wait for Monster Hunter to release the new 3DS, and there was no mention of that game in the north american direct. I fear it may be longer than we hope for the new system.

Currygan

PLAY-ASIA

N3DS XL METALLIC BLACK
N3DS XL BLUE
£165

STANDARD N3DS WHITE
£139

365GAMES (UK BASED)

NEW 3DS XL BLUE

£169.99

NEW 3DS XL STANDARD WHITE

£152.99

With Play Asia, you will get the console sooner and cheaper - but you run the risk of getting caught by customs. With 365Games, you have no chance of any extra charges as they ship from the UK - but they will not dispatch until the 28th (as they need to get their stock from australia first).

it is a PAL console so it will play all your UK stuff and work with your NNID.

to be honest, its a no brainer. why wait until mid next year when you can get a New Nintendo 3DS in two weeks from now with no regional restrictions?!

richisawesome, you are awesome

thanks! now, to XL or no XL

Rich!

Does anyone else remember when Zelda: Gaiden was first announced, and the moon looked like this:

BEAUTYGAIDEN2.jpg

If you want to read more about Majora's Mask before it became Majora's Mask, try and seek out this:

Top Bottom