• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

zeldablue

So what's the distinction betwee "Master Quest" and "Hero Mode" in the Zelda series? Master Quest is mirrored, harder, and with reworked dungeons, while Hero Mode is just harder?

Yes. Master Quest was the result of Ura Zelda. Ura Zelda was basically an expansion pack on OoT but then Eiji Aonuma said he didn't want to redo OoT dungeons because he thought it was lame and because he was the dungeon design lead. (Meaning he had to do most of the work.)

After complaining a bit, Aonuma decided making a new 64 Zelda would be better. Miyamoto agreed but said Aonuma would have to make the game in under a year. And that's how Majora's Mask was made. Those crazy mofos.

Koozek

Ah, the nostalgia of these Zelda Gaiden beta screens.
1gaiden.jpg
Gaiden2.jpg
3gaiden.jpg

Awwwwww, yeah, I remember skipping through the most recent gaming mags while my parents were grocery shopping and suddenly seeing an article about Zelda Gaiden. Man, I was so happy reading about this after having been blown away by OoT which still is in my Top 3 All-Time. I immediately ran to my dad and told him how excited I was and how I couldn't wait for it to be released :p

Yes. Master Quest was the result of Ura Zelda. Ura Zelda was basically an expansion pack on OoT but then Eiji Aonuma said he didn't want to redo OoT dungeons because he thought it was lame and because he was the dungeon design lead. (Meaning he had to do most of the work.)

After complaining a bit, Aonuma decided making a new 64 Zelda would be better. Miyamoto agreed but said Aonuma would have to make the game in under a year. And that's how Majora's Mask was made. Those crazy mofos.

Just goes to show once again how productive certain constraints and limits can be for creative work, hehe.

TheMoon

So what's the distinction betwee "Master Quest" and "Hero Mode" in the Zelda series? Master Quest is mirrored, harder, and with reworked dungeons, while Hero Mode is just harder?

Well yea, obviously. As there is only one Master Quest unless you count Zelda 1's Second Quest as that (which also fits).

Hero Mode just means you take more damage and/or no hearts and/or enemies take more hits.

Master Quest means new dungeon puzzles. Mirrored is an optional thing they only did once.

zeldablue

Just goes to show once again how productive certain constraints and limits can be for creative work, hehe.

Yeah. I love those freed constraints Zelda. Miyamoto basically just telling the team "Okay! Do what you want but it has to be out next year."

Same thing happened with Link's Awakening. The other best weirdo Zelda game.

TheMoon

Yeah. I love those freed constraints Zelda. Miyamoto basically just telling the team "Okay! Do what you want but it has to be out next year."

I'd love them to do this after Zelda U is out. Some sort of Remix game. Have the oft-demanded Sheik game be set in that same world so it doesn't need a new one. If successful, make spin-off series!

Would also fit with Miyamoto's comments regarding spin-off games being utilized to increase output efficiency.

maxcriden

Well yea, obviously. As there is only one Master Quest unless you count Zelda 1's Second Quest as that (which also fits).

Hero Mode just means you take more damage and/or no hearts and/or enemies take more hits.

Master Quest means new dungeon puzzles. Mirrored is an optional thing they only did once.

Just to be a pedant, since I'm a terrible person: they did do another mirrored Zelda quest as well, with a more complex difficulty because it had a different control scheme. This was also an optional second quest. It also got its own separate retail release.

TheMoon

Just to be a pedant, since I'm a terrible person: they did do another mirrored Zelda quest as well, with a more complex difficulty because it had a different control scheme. This was also an optional second quest. It also got its own separate retail release.

Hm? Which one? I'm confused now.

Twilight Princess GCN vs Wii?

zeldarocks

Neo Member
I was wondering: when can we expect the 3D remake to actually drop?

The Spring 2015 window is quite vague...

Are we talking Q1 or Q2?

maxcriden

Twilight Princess GCN vs Wii?

Yes! Haha. Still bugs me that they mirrored the Wii version, though I understand why.

oh right lol

The comment about the control scheme should've rang a bell. I wouldn't say that affected the difficulty in any way, though. It was just the game being mirrored with different controls.

Oh, no, you're absolutely right. I mean, if it did affect the difficulty, I'm sure that wasn't the intention (quite the opposite, in fact). I just thought it was kind of funny that we've had another mirrored Zelda quest.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Majora's Mask is still to this day the only game where I felt that NPCs actually had something that resembled a life.

And I think that's because they ended. Most games that embrace dynamic NPC schedules over time do so with potentially infinite automation. Even Ocarina does this; doesn't matter how many times you swap between the past and future, or how many days and nights pass, the world remains static regardless of NPC behaviour. Majora's Mask relishes in the grim reality of the finite. Time has an end. Lives have an end. Nobody lives forever, no moments are frozen for eternity. It's you against the terrible truth that nothing lasts. All lives live out their three days, an no reversing, slowing, or dilation of time can change that limitation. You have your window and that's all you get to work with.

And I think that's because they ended. Most games that embrace dynamic NPC schedules over time do so with potentially infinite automation. Even Ocarina does this; doesn't matter how many times you swap between the past and future, or how many days and nights pass, the world remains static regardless of NPC behaviour. Majora's Mask relishes in the grim reality of the finite. Time has an end. Lives have an end. Nobody lives forever, no moments are frozen for eternity. It's you against the terrible truth that nothing lasts. All lives live out their three days, an no reversing, slowing, or dilation of time can change that limitation. You have your window and that's all you get to work with.

It's also because they're all so blissfully ignorant that it adds a level of tragedy to the whole thing. They're going through their final days either not realizing they're going to die or willfully trying to ignore it. It's pretty much all on the player to save them and it feels urgent in a way Ocarina or ALttP didn't.

I was wondering: when can we expect the 3D remake to actually drop?

The Spring 2015 window is quite vague...

Are we talking Q1 or Q2?
If I had to guess, I'd bet late March and it launches with New 3DS.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
It's also because they're all so blissfully ignorant that it adds a level of tragedy to the whole thing. They're going through their final days either not realizing they're going to die or willfully trying to ignore it. It's pretty much all on the player to save them and it feels urgent in a way Ocarina or ALttP didn't.

I personally don't see anyone being truly ignorant of impending doom, except maybe for Romani. To me, it's more about how different people carry themselves when being confronted with mortality. Some act brave while cowering in secret (swordman). Some are too bound by duty and routine to change their lives (postman) Some move from denial to powerless rage (Mutoh) And then there are those who are willing to accept the inevitable, as long as they can face it together (Kafei and Anju)

All this reinforces the mask motif of the game, which makes it even more amazing.

zeldarocks

Neo Member

If I had to guess, I'd bet late March and it launches with New 3DS.

What's Nintendo's track record with regards to release dates?

I guess what I'm asking is:

How quickly will Nintendo announce its release date following the reveal; given its Spring 2015 window?

zeldablue

I feel like there are kids (7-14 years old) who know about "Ben Drowned" but not Majora's Mask. That's...uhhh. Wow.

Yeah...;__; You can feel a beginning, middle and end with each of their stories. That's what makes it so special.

Nintendo was able to wrap up Mario Kart 7 and release a full-fledged Mario Kart 8 game with gorgeous graphics AND develop two large downloadable content packs in less time than it took them to make Majora's Mask 3D...

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This is a good interpretation. I think it's less the fact that the lives ended that gave them such a sense of authenticity but rather the window that we see them in. They live a very specific three days where they do something different each day. Seeing them live their lives each time you reset time helped you cement their actions to their character, making you feel like you knew everyone by the end. So in that sense, I feel like the time window was more effective than the time limit, at least in this regard. Although what you said is still perfectly valid.

Koozek

My woman! LA is in my Top 3 Zeldas. It was my first own GB game and also my first Zelda - I must have been 4-5 years old or something. Bought it only "by accident" (or rather "by chance" :p) as I actually wanted Mystic Quest, which, however, was sold-out in the nearest store.

What's Nintendo's track record with regards to release dates?

I guess what I'm asking is:

How quickly will Nintendo announce its release date following the reveal; given its Spring 2015 window?
If it's coming alongside the New 3DS as I suspect, definitely post-christmas.

Might not even know a day until a month before. To put it in perspective: we got a Smash Bros. Wii U date a week or two ago.

Kriken

I agree, the NPCs in this game aren't a simple "Hey, I'm xxxx' here's my quest" but rather a lot of them are an experience. Postman?
Won't give you the time of day when everything hunky dory, but when imminent danger is upon him? He panics more about his job than his own wellbeing.
The Swordsman?
He goes from saying
"Rumors are spreading which suggest the Moon is falling, but you can breathe easier as long as I am in town. Tonight, I shall cut the Moon into pieces!"
To hiding in a sack scared for his life in the span of a couple of hours

And those are just two NPCs who have no bearing on the main story whatsoever. God I need to find my N64 soon

georly

If it's coming alongside the New 3DS as I suspect, definitely post-christmas.

Might not even know a day until a month before. To put it in perspective: we got a Smash Bros. Wii U date a week or two ago.

I really really really really really want a MM N3DS XL. I need a good excuse to buy one, otherwise I'm going to have to actually wait for a game that requires it.

zeldablue

I agree, the NPCs in this game aren't a simple "Hey, I'm xxxx' here's my quest" but rather a lot of them are an experience. Postman?
Won't give you the time of day when everything hunky dory, but when imminent danger is upon him? He panics more about his job than his own wellbeing.
The Swordsman?
He goes from saying
"Rumors are spreading which suggest the Moon is falling, but you can breathe easier as long as I am in town. Tonight, I shall cut the Moon into pieces!"
To hiding in a sack scared for his life in the span of a couple of hours

And those are just two NPCs who have no bearing on the main story whatsoever. God I need to find my N64 soon
You know what's even sadder about the postman?

He does the same thing every single day. Leaves his office at 9AM, checks the mail, takes a nap from 12PM to 1PM, and then delivers the mail until 3PM and then does "mental training" until 12AM, which is when he goes to bed.
But because so many people evacuated, he checks the mail on the second day and there is absolutely nothing to deliver (if you didn't talk to Anju.) "This is a problem... A real problem. Not a single letter was mailed... What should I do this afternoon... I wish someone would tell me." He gets so upset about his schedule being ruined that he writes his own letter to himself. He walks out at midnight and puts his letter in the box...just so that he can have something to do on the final day. Because otherwise, nothing would keep his mind off of the moon.

WTF. It's both humorous and terribly distressing at the same time.

Zero²

Having not played Majora yet
I know...
one thing I can say, this game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Last day

Astral Observatory

Clock town, First day
Love how each day keeps getting more and more desperate...

Stone Tower Temple

Song of Healing obviously

and finally Oath to Order that just blows everything out of the water, specially the orchestrated version!
And that just to name a few...

Edit: Now that I thought about it, they NEED to use the orchestrated version of the Oath to Order in the game. They NEED!

Tookay

Nintendo was able to wrap up Mario Kart 7 and release a full-fledged Mario Kart 8 game with gorgeous graphics AND develop two large downloadable content packs in less time than it took them to make Majora's Mask 3D...

I think this is more of an issue of spacing out Zelda releases.

We just had TWW HD and ALBW a year ago.

Rich!

Zero²;137977117 said:
I know...

I personally think its the best soundtrack Koji Kondo has ever done, apart from the three battle themes (encounter, mid boss, boss) which he didnt write.

maxcriden

Zero²;137977117 said:
I know...

Last day

Astral Observatory

Clock town, First day
Love how each day keeps getting more and more desperate...

Stone Tower Temple

Song of Healing obviously

and finally Oath to Order that just blows everything out of the water, specially the orchestrated version!
And that just to name a few...

Edit: Now that I thought about it, they NEED to use the orchestrated version of the Oath to Order in the game. They NEED!

Please stop listening to the OST...you need to experience at least some of hearing it in the game for the first time!! :)

Grizzo

Some brilliant posts about what the game is about in these last few pages. I especially like BorkBork's insight of the meaning of the mask symbolism. Great stuff!

Zero²

Please stop listening to the OST...you need to experience at least some of hearing it in the game for the first time!! :)
Too late ;D
I'm a complete Zelda fanboy anyway, so its only a matter of time until I play it. Now that I got a WiiU last year, and I plan on getting a n3DS next year, I'm going back and playing all the ones I havent played yet.
I actually just went to listen to the OST beforehand because someone I know said that it was way better than Ocarina's haha
OOT Forest Temple still is one of my favorite Zelda ost

zeldablue

I personally don't see anyone being truly ignorant of impending doom, except maybe for Romani. To me, it's more about how different people carry themselves when being confronted with mortality. Some act brave while cowering in secret (swordman). Some are too bound by duty and routine to change their lives (postman) Some move from denial to powerless rage (Mutoh) And then there are those who are willing to accept the inevitable, as long as they can face it together (Kafei and Anju)

All this reinforces the mask motif of the game, which makes it even more amazing.

I feel as though the children don't actually see the moon. I kind of think only those who "know fear" can see it and that's why the kids never mention it. It might actually be invisible to them. While all the adults and Link are having complete meltdowns, all of the children keep talking about playing and having a great time at the carnival. I really do think the moon symbolizes deeply repressed fears which most children...don't exactly have.

Majora's Mask always intimidated me. Which is kind odd considering I played stuff like RE and Silent Hill before I even touched MM. There's just something about the setting and the mood that makes it so disturbing. I never finished the game. Perhaps this remake will lead me the way. I'm excited, I enjoyed OoT 3D a lot and it seems like they're doing even more of a 'remake' for MM.

SerRodrik

You know what's even sadder about the postman?

He does the same thing every single day. Leaves his office at 9AM, checks the mail, takes a nap from 12PM to 1PM, and then delivers the mail until 3PM and then does "mental training" until 12AM, which is when he goes to bed.
But because so many people evacuated, he checks the mail on the second day and there is absolutely nothing to deliver (if you didn't talk to Anju.) "This is a problem... A real problem. Not a single letter was mailed... What should I do this afternoon... I wish someone would tell me." He gets so upset about his schedule being ruined that he writes his own letter to himself. He walks out at midnight and puts his letter in the box...just so that he can have something to do on the final day. Because otherwise, nothing would keep his mind off of the moon.

WTF. It's both humorous and terribly distressing at the same time.

I never even knew about that. That's one of the things about the game that I love so much. There are so many small details that are easy to miss that add so much to the game and make the characters and the world feel so much more fleshed out. Weird little character quirks, little mysteries, etc.

For instance, I never really understood what was going on with the deku butler's son until years later, when I happened to be thinking back to the game. It really blew my mind.

Anth0ny

I never even knew about that. That's one of the things about the game that I love so much. There are so many small details that are easy to miss that add so much to the game and make the characters and the world feel so much more fleshed out. Weird little character quirks, little mysteries, etc.

For instance, I never really understood what was going on with the deku butler's son until years later, when I happened to be thinking back to the game. It really blew my mind.

Yup. It's an incredibly deep game with some of the most interesting NPCs ever. I stumble upon something new every time I play it.

I even made a thread once.

They had entirely different teams working on these games and a different set of priorities.

I'd also encourage anyone new to the game to talk to every NPC and see how their patterns / reaction change as the moon draws closer. At least in Clock Town, I know there are certain events outside Clock Town that are linked to specific time points but I'm don't remember if the NPCs at other places were as dynamic.

Yup. It's an incredibly deep game with some of the most interesting NPCs ever. I stumble upon something new every time I play it.

I even made a thread once.

Shouldn't have read this thread.

Milk Bar Owner

...As you can see, all of our
customers have taken refuge.

It may be my undoing, but I'm the
sort of fellow who'll stay at his
business through thick and thin.

And I continue standing here
at the counter hoping one of my
favorite customers will appear...

And I wasn't wrong.
See? You stopped in

fuck, man.

Rich!

wait

hang on one goddamn second

you can be thrown up to that platform in stone tower temple by the dexihand? I jump up to it using zora link. have I been doing it wrong for 14 fucking years?

whaaaaaaat

Top Bottom