• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Rich!

I do wonder if this screenshot comparison implies you can use Fierce Deity anywhere:
O217Pm3.jpg

...that would make sense, wouldn't it? It would explain the new door sizes...

NG+ with fierce deity pls

That's a good theory that would explain what would otherwise be a pointless change in level geometry.

I think being able to use the Fierce Deity Mask anywhere is a shoe-in for this remake. The original version still has some leftover data (e.g. enemy reactions) from when this was intended to be in the game. It strikes me as the kind of thing Aonuma will want to finally put right.

Grizzo

This news makes me want to start a new file in Majora's Mask but I'm worried I might be getting sick of it by the time it comes out on 3DS if I do replay it just before the new one comes out (plus it's only been a year since I last played it).

I wish we would have a definitive release date for MM3D.

Vidiot

This news makes me want to start a new file in Majora's Mask but I'm worried I might be getting sick of it by the time it comes out on 3DS if I do replay it just before the new one comes out (plus it's only been a year since I last played it).

I wish we would have a definitive release date for MM3D.

Wait. My guess is April. I know i want it to feel fresh.

Nemesis_

I would love if they chucked a new dungeon or something in here, but I guess that's expecting too much.

I had no problems with how the original played, so I'm interested to see what they'll fix to make the gameplay experience "smoother".

Eblo

I do wonder if this screenshot comparison implies you can use Fierce Deity anywhere:
O217Pm3.jpg

That makes massive amounts of sense. Since every other form could fit through there just fine, making it bigger could only mean that it's to accommodate a bigger form. And since Fierce Deity is an end-game item there's no real reason to have it restricted in the first place. At least not in a New Game+/Hero Mode/Second Quest.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I expected a lot better from you, BGBW :'(
I didn't have a N64 of my own so I could only play it a bit at a friend's house. However when I saw the OST for sale in a Swedish Nintendo magazine I just had to have it. I mean Nintnedo soundtracks were pretty rare in Europe (still are) so I wasn't going to let this opportunity slip by even if it was for a Zelda game I didn't own (besides, I really liked the Deku Palace music).

I was pretty happy to get the Zelda Collector's Disc for the GCN so I could finally play through the whole game rather than just the the run up to the first dungeon over and over (the problem of playing on someone else's copy, your file will often be erased).

Huh?

Neo Member
One thing I noticed was that in this version of the Direct, which has different footage from the others, you see Link going back in time and there are no items that fly out of him as he descends. They may make it so you don't lose all your ammo and rupees every time you go back in time, which doesn't really bother me if that's the case as it really didn't make the game more challenging in any meaningful way, just vaguely annoyingly made one have to cut some grass or buy things from the Trading Post so you could progress. I mean, Majora's Mask has been my favorite video game since I originally played it back in 2000, but I think there are certain ways that they could make the gameplay smoother that wouldn't particularly bother me. Though, Zelda fans being Zelda fans, I'm sure everything that even just doesn't make them feel the same way they felt when they were 8 playing this game will be pedantically criticized until the end times.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wonder if they made the day cycle 7 days instead of just 3 like it was originally going to be. I hope so.

That would require completely changing the game since they'd need to add four more days of routines for every character in the game. They made the stories based around a three day limit so four additional days would have a severe impact on things.

Chances of this happening = 0

...that would make sense, wouldn't it? It would explain the new door sizes...

NG+ with fierce deity pls

The entrance to the sewers is bugged in the original game. If you enter that alcove as Zora Link or Goron Link you're too tall and you see the void surrounding the map. The taller door could just be so you don't clip through the ceiling anymore.

aliensandwich

Neo Member
I've never been able to properly play Majora's Mask! I never owned the N64 version or the expansion pack needed to play it. When I downloaded it on the Wii, my Gamecube controllers were all too worn out or defective. I'm so glad that I'll finally be able to play the game properly!

TheMoon

I don't think you'd even want a 7 day cycle. Way too much stuff to keep track of potentially and way too much room to mess up what worked. More isn't always better.

I would maybe agree that Ocarina edges out MM in terms of dungeon design but that would be because you got 9 in Ocarina vs 4 in MM and one third of the dungeons in Ocarina is pretty uninteresting, leaving 6 good dungeons vs 4.

For example, Ocarina's first dungeon is a complete joke compared to MM's first dungeon, Woodfall Temple. In fact I'd say the first OoT dungeon that reached WT in terms of scope and difficulty would be the fourth dungeon.

Snowhead was also a nice big dungeon from what I recall, it also had one of the best (most unique?) bosses in Zelda history.

Great Bay Temple I found to be harder than OoT's Water Temple for some reason. It was also annoying in some parts, but not as frustrating as Water Temple.

Finally, everything leading up to and including the fourth dungeon (Stone Tower) is imo one of the best segments in any Zelda game I've played (i.e. everything but the gba / ds games and Wind Waker). I can't wait to replay that because I don't think I grasped the full extent of its' awesomeness the first time I played it.

It should also be said that you don't walk willy-nilly to any dungeon by talking to some NPCs and acquiring some item nearby. Before you enter every dungeon there's some sort of mini quest that you have to do that could as well have been a dungeon by the amount of time it takes you (it's still interesting though, you don't have to herd goats or something). There's also post-dungeon content to get your hands on after you clear every area, most notably the
Goron Race
. Also, nothing quite says "you completed the dungeon!" like seeing the landscape change before your eyes and watching Majora's curse be lifted away.

Volotaire

It would be nice to have Fierce Deity usable in the game except for boss rooms as a New Game plus feature, but that's not what I'm really looking for in a remaster. Especially if it's a new game plus feature that forces you to play the game once again to use it. I hope continue the Wind Waker HD approach and allow for a toggle at the start for hero mode or master mode for people who have played the game before. It infuriates me when games do this.

Great-God

Banned
How long is the game?
Am I better off playing it on a 64, or are there any dated mechanics that may get fixed? (i.e. should I wait)
I beat both original OoT and OoT 3D, 3D sure was more fluid. Artstyle was a bit off though.

Rich!

How long is the game?
Am I better off playing it on a 64, or are there any dated mechanics that may get fixed? (i.e. should I wait)

1. it's shorter than Ocarina to finish, but takes longer to 100%
2. play it on an N64 if you want the shitty low resolution textures and 20fps framerate (or 17fps if you are playing the PAL version).

my advice: do not play it on an N64. it's only a few months away until the 3DS version, which like OOT 3D, will be the definitive version.

Volotaire

How long is the game?
I beat both original OoT and OoT 3D, 3D sure was more fluid. Artstyle was a bit off though.

It depends on how long you spend with the sidequests. According to HLTB, it is on average 20 hours for the main game and 26 for extras as well. You should wait for the remaster as Majoras suffered from more framerate drops than Ocarina, and it might be a pain to go back to. Plus, with all the streamlining of the saving process (which was slightly annoying in the original), the updated visuals, stable 30FPS and additional features, you're better off waiting for this.

The only disadvantages would be

- 3DS controls relative to a controller (comfort)
- Smaller screen (can buy those cables that allow you to play it on TV)
- Resolution

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10034

K' Dash

How long is the game?

If this is your first time with the game, I'd say abot 40+ hours if you want to complete all quests/masks

It depends on how long you spend with the sidequests. According to HLTB, it is on average 20 hours for the main game and 26 for extras as well. You should wait for the remaster as Majoras suffered from more framerate drops than Ocarina, and it might be a pain to go back to. Plus, with all the streamlining of the saving process (which was slightly annoying in the original), the updated visuals, stable 30FPS framerate and additional features, you're better off waiting for this.

The only disadvantages would be

- 3DS controls relative to a controller (comfort)
- Smaller screen (can buy those cables that allow you to play it on TV)
- Resolution

http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=10034
what cables?
tell me more

Volotaire

what cables?
tell me more

I've seen streamers playing OoT 3D on a TV. I'm not sure what they exactly bought, but I guess a Google search could do it. Here's the link to the LP I watched.

See how Fraser (the main person) and his co-hosts are playing on his TV (which is off screen in their setup),

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5gAphpoDY&list=PLGxCL8JAojAPYAWOyQIlVxdl23pa6Ril9&index=1

http://3dscapture.com/

get ready to spend £200.

Well there it is.

Holmes

wait

hang on one goddamn second

you can be thrown up to that platform in stone tower temple by the dexihand? I jump up to it using zora link. have I been doing it wrong for 14 fucking years?

whaaaaaaat
I always thought you had to be thrown up. Using Zora Link sounds more impressive.

zeldablue

It feels like not many people appreciate the prologues before dungeons in Zelda, honestly. A lot of people seemingly want it to be Shadow of the Colossus with dungeons or Dark Souls in Hyrule, but I really enjoy the ones with the relatively long and involved prologues where you really get your bearings and learn about the area in which the dungeon lies. One of the negatives of ALBW for me was how quickly you were shunted between dungeons, I didn't feel that most of the pre-dungeon tasks were that interesting. I personally hope Zelda Wii U is more detailed with that part of the Zelda experience.

I agree. In Links Awakening, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, I enjoyed getting to the dungeon more than the actual dungeons.

I think that in the games where NPCs are really interesting, they trump my desire to be isolated in dank dungeons.

Velcro Fly

Who would honestly want to slog through more than 5 or 6 dungeons with the time limit anyway? It would get so tedious. And being able to beat all the bosses to restore areas? I have no idea if you need to restore areas by beating bosses to do any of the sidequests but imagine having to kill 8 bosses after going back in time? That would be nuts.

Great-God

Banned
To the above posts: then I'll wait. My limited Zelda 3DS should play Zelda anyway :)
Just hope it doesn't release right in the middle of exams

How long is the game?

Just wait.

I love my N64, but you really don´t want 240p @ <20fps in the year 2014 on your TV. Especially not as your first experience when something better is on the horizon.

Howlongtobeat says that it is a good 20 hours for just the main story and roughly 30 hours for all the masks and extras.

TheMoon

Who would honestly want to slog through more than 5 or 6 dungeons with the time limit anyway? It would get so tedious. And being able to beat all the bosses to restore areas? I have no idea if you need to restore areas by beating bosses to do any of the sidequests but imagine having to kill 8 bosses after going back in time? That would be nuts.

You only need to beat a boss again if you require its area to be in the post-dungeon state (i.e. no snow on the mountain). Basically the second dungeon boss is the only one you really need to beat multiple times during a normal playthrough.

Volotaire

Just wait.

I love my N64, but you really don´t want 240p @ <20fps in the year 2014 on your TV. Especially not as your first experience when something better is on the horizon.

Howlongtobeat says that it is a good 20 hours for just the main story and roughly 30 hours for all the masks and extras.

Slightly nitpicking, but the VC version plays at 480p

480p and 24-bit colour on VC and GC Collector’s Version vs

240i and 16-bit colour on N64.

Of course, there are still all the other advantages of the new remake.

Grizzo

Just wait.

It all depends on the ability of people to dive into the world of retrogaming and stomach the technical limitations of the system.

I can still play all my N64 game just fine. Sure, some games look really dated but that's not a problem as long as you come with the right mindset. Plus some of them still look great. And I think Majora's Mask has aged well.

That being said, seeing as the game is gonna be released in the next few months (maybe four, maybe six, who knows), I would avise him to just wait for the 3DS port.

TheMoon

Just chiming in, I'm glad I played the original N64 version last year (knowing full well a 3DS remake was inevitably on the horizon) once. PAL version even. But at the same time, if I were in that position now, I'd probably just wait to avoid a "just been here recently" feeling.

I don't think you'd even want a 7 day cycle. Way too much stuff to keep track of potentially and way too much room to mess up what worked. More isn't always better.
I was just saying on the last page how awesome seven day Bomber's Notebook would be. I'm all for that shit.

Persona7

Banned
I hope I can still do the sakon hideout glitch. Another thing I like doing is jumping off the building in clock town into the load area and falling through the stairs.

SirNinja

O217Pm3.jpg

Holy crap, I've seen that screen like 30 times now and that never even occurred to me.

It would certainly be nice to have as a postgame feature. Fierce Deity is awesome, but he's really only good against
Odolwa and Majora
. Fighting
Goht, Gyorg, or Twinmold
with FD actually makes for a harder fight than just fighting them with the Goron/Zora/
Giant
masks, respectively.

I hope I can still do the sakon hideout glitch.

That and the famous Fourth/Infinite Days glitch. They'll likely both be fixed, but you never know...

Nicktendo86

Couldn't take this MM talk anymore so loaded up the Wii virtual console version earlier. Decided to try playing it on the wiiu gamepad, man forgot how bad the frame rate was. Can't wait to play at a steady 30fps in the 3ds, will make such a difference.

Zero²

Couldn't take this MM talk anymore so loaded up the Wii virtual console version earlier. Decided to try playing it on the wiiu gamepad, man forgot how bad the frame rate was. Can't wait to play at a steady 30fps in the 3ds, will make such a difference.
Is really that bad? like 18fps all the time?

Nicktendo86

Zero²;138085711 said:
Its very rough. Perfectly playable but takes a bit of adjustment, especially after playing OOT3D last night.

The atmosphere is as good as I remembered though. Cannot wait to see it after it gets the 3DS treatment.

Rich!

Zero²;138085711 said:

18fps? lol

on the PAL version it's 17fps max. And it reguarly dips as low as 11fps during scenes with lots of characters and lighting effects (such as the basement area of woodfall temple).

Volotaire

I never really noticed (or cared), but for people who only like 60 fps games, it must be killer lol

Even for people who can't notice the difference between 30 and 60, when you start to dip below 25, it's very noticeable to the eye. I got used to it on the Gamecube but it was apparent.

Nicktendo86

18fps? lol

on the PAL version it's 17fps max. And it reguarly dips as low as 11fps during scenes with lots of characters and lighting effects (such as the basement area of woodfall temple).
I honestly shit myself when I played the original sonic on xbla at the correct speed after being used to the pal speed all these years. I miss CRT TVs but pal sucked.

SegaShack

How long is the game?

Play it on the Gamecube. Better resolution and has rumble support. Team Zelda Collector's Edition for life.

Zero²

18fps? lol

Ouch, 18fps is my limit, any less than that makes me have horrible headaches...
Shame.
Well that means I still gotta wait for n3DS then xD

Top Bottom