• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Making a Murderer' subject Steven Avery denied new trial

You realize most people consider him innocent because there wasn't enough there to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt (meaning not having any doubt) and because his trial was filled with prosecutional misconduct along with shoddy and suspect police work and phony testimony from forensics?

Regardless of whether or not he did it, he should have been found innocent for all of the above reasons.

Yes i do. Not sure about most. But that could be the case.

Tapioca

Banned
So dudes who eat animals would probably eat people?

Eating an animal and burning it alive are not comparable situations.

One is torture, the other is survival. People who burn animals alive/torture animals often go on to kill and torture people. They get off on pain and suffering. It's a sign of psychopathy. They crave it.

I can't believe you actually compared these two situations.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Eating an animal and burning it alive are not comparable situations.

One is torture, the other is survival. People who burn animals alive/torture animals often go on to kill and torture people. They get off on pain and suffering. It's a sign of psychopathy. They crave it.

I can't believe you actually compared these two situations.

It was a one-off incident which also upset me when I learned about it but nothing I’ve seen in video of Avery suggests that he’s a psychopath. Yea he fucked up by doing that but that doesn’t have anything to do with his current trial.

Tapioca

Banned
It was a one-off incident which also upset me when I learned about it but nothing I’ve seen in video of Avery suggests that he’s a psychopath. Yea he fucked up by doing that but that doesn’t have anything to do with his current trial.

Have any of his defenders actually read up on the guy? Did they just watch the documentary and become his number one defender?

You guys sound like the people who watched "Loose Change" and then went on about how steel can't ever melt.

He is a trash human being. He burned a cat alive, beat up his wife, beat up his former fiance, beat up a girlfriend, ran a woman off the road and tried to kidnap her, allegedly raped an underage family member, on and on. He is a CLASSIC psychopath.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steven-avery-making-a-murderer_us_56992180e4b0ce4964243136
http://stevenaverycase.com/steven-a...accusitions-against-him/#sthash.gm95kVye.dpbs

Tovarisc

Have any of his defenders actually read up on the guy? Did they just watch the documentary and become his number one defender?

You guys sound like the people who watched "Loose Change" and then went on about how steel can't ever melt.

He is a trash human being. He burned a cat alive, beat up his wife, beat up his former fiance, beat up a girlfriend, ran a woman off the road and tried to kidnap her, allegedly raped an underage family member, on and on. He is a CLASSIC psychopath.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/steven-avery-making-a-murderer_us_56992180e4b0ce4964243136
http://stevenaverycase.com/steven-a...accusitions-against-him/#sthash.gm95kVye.dpbs

And yet he may have not murdered this woman.

Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but police and prosecution really fucked up every possible aspect of the case and created more doubt than removed.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member

I did say nothing I’ve seen in video. I was speaking more to the idea of an actual psychopath who doesn’t convey emotion but from video Avery certainly does. Some of those things you mentioned were mentioned in the documentary.

But at the end of the day that doesn’t change the fact that what you’re pointing out has nothing to do with this trial.

Where’s your outrage over the police system and how they handled this case from the onset? That’s the more absurd part about this whole thing that should worry you considerably more, because it can happen to anyone, including you, and if someone deems you guilty when you aren’t, you can very easily go to prison. That’s alarming.

Seemed like an unsavory character to begin with, but decades of injustice would probably sour anyone's outlook on life. Existing flaws and broken logic of his character amplified. Seemed like he killed her as some sort messed up 'payback'.

It's all just very sad and depressing. Hard to watch at times, particularly the Brendan stuff. Documentary couldn't be more aptly named.

mario_O

It's obvious it was all a setup by the local law enforcement, and now there's no way to make that public, recognize it. Sad. Poor man. 'murrica.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dude, spoilers! Season 2 hasn't even started yet!

No, but this is shitty. He may be guilty or he may not, but the way this was handled was such a shitshow either way, and to just leave it at that is fucked.

TimmmV

Eh, the series didn't convince on balance of any probable innocence.

- Teresa's last known meeting was with him
- Her car was found in his salvage yard
- A key to her vehicle was found in his bedroom
- Bloodstains in the car matched him
- Her remains were found in his fire pit

If he didn't murder her, who did? It seems pretty far fetched to suggest the Sherriff's Department murdered Teresa, just so they could frame him up for it. You might suggest he didn't do a very good job covering the crime up, but he clearly isn't the sharpest crayon in the box to begin with.

Please never sit on a jury, this is not the logic that should be used to determine whether he killed her or not.

I find it really weird how so many people are 100% sure that Avery did it, given how clear it is that the police were fucking around with the evidence. If it was so clear it was him then why would they have to do so much dodgy stuff?

Tovarisc

Don't care much about Avery.

Brenden needs to be released though.

Why Brenden deserves benefit of doubt and go free where Avery doesn't?

"He was railroaded and abused!", okay. So how Avery wasn't?

There is sooo much questionable actions taken by police and prosecution that both men deserve to get new trial(s). Did they commit the crime or not.

Kaiterra

Banned
This is horse shit. Wisconsin's legal system is fucked.

Like, the prosecution couldn't even pick a consistent theory of the crime. Like, there were seriously like 4 perfectly valid other suspects (Tadych, Avery's brother, Zipperer, Hillegas) that were not investigated at ALL, and one of whom was even allowed to participate in the investigation himself after provably destroying evidence. The judge specifically hamstrung the defense at trial by refusing them the ability to present an alternate suspect on top of that. The timeline doesn't line up at all for Avery to have killed her either. We have evidence the burn remains were moved ONTO Avery's property from elsewhere. Anyone who says they are certain of Avery's guilt should be ashamed and should never serve on a jury.

Apathy

He's not some cleaning Mastermind. So where was her blood and dna on the floor like the prosecution was claiming. That alone should give anyone red flags

MazeHaze

Banned
Didn't they convict Avery of killing her in the garage with a gun, and then also convict Dassey of killing her in the bedroom with a knife?

This whole case was fucked.

Did he do It? Possibly

Did his trial prove him guilty beyond reasonable doubt? No fucking way. There is a shit ton of reasonable doubt all over the place.

I think it was the ex boyfriend personally.

Zemm

The crazy thing is that Brendan and Steven have been sentenced for the same murder when the "truths" in both cases were so different and conflicting, i.e Teresa Halbach being killed in the garage with no rape or mutilation for Steven and in the bedroom with rape and mutilation for Brendan.

Didn't they convict Avery of killing her in the garage with a gun, and then also convict Dassey of killing her in the bedroom with a knife?

Yup

Kill3r7

I'm surprised they have not found any new material evidence. The more time that passes the less likely they are to get a retrial.

There is sooo much questionable actions taken by police and prosecution that both men deserve to get new trial(s). Did they commit the crime or not.

Was there even any evidence for Brenden aside from the forced confession?

robochimp

I don't remember anymore but presumably the prosecution put forth evidence for their theory of the case along with the confession. Last I read he was getting a retrial.

He was straight up ordered released. He's still in jail while the State of WI's appeal of that decision is considered.

Lucifon

After listening to the Generation Why podcast episode about the case by thoughts changed pretty dramatically. A key point which really stood out to me was how the Brendan side of things was portrayed in the show. It made it very clearly seem like a coerced confession but what they didn't tell you is how he'd apparently already previously confessed and the reason they were egging him on was to repeat what he'd said so it was on camera. It changes the whole situation.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I can only imagine that if the ex did it he would have needed an accomplice, heck same would be likely for Avery. They need to walk away from the lot, or have someone pick them up after bringing her car and herself or her body or remains there. They can't drive her car there along with another car to come back alone. Unless she herself was lured to drive there herself.

Why did the police assume she was not killed where her remains were found? Did any autopsy indicate how she could have died?

robochimp

After listening to the Generation Why podcast episode about the case by thoughts changed pretty dramatically. A key point which really stood out to me was how the Brendan side of things was portrayed in the show. It made it very clearly seem like a coerced confession but what they didn't tell you is how he'd apparently already previously confessed and the reason they were egging him on was to repeat what he'd said so it was on camera. It changes the whole situation.

A federal judge has ruled it was coerced and ordered him released.

OldRoutes

Humm... what? I'll need a source for that.

More like he was coached through it off camera and coached through it on camera too. Brendan just said what he thought the officers wanted.

Darren870

More like he was coached through it off camera and coached through it on camera too. Brendan just said what he thought the officers wanted.

Yea, exactly. And what over the course of 5-8 hrs it took them to get his "confession".

Which of course didn't even reflect the crime scene.

LordRaptor

Most of those things are hearsay, and for half that list they seem to all be accusations made by the girlfriend(? wife?) of one of the sheriffs that seemed to have bad blood with him personally.

Maybe he would have committed a crime as an adult that was a progression from the dumbass things he did as a teenager that were not rape murder that would serve as a justification for his presumed guilt.
We'll never know because he spent most of his adult life in prison for a crime he provably did not commit.

Coercing a confession from a vulnerable youth who is clearly on the borderline of being legally mentally incompetent on camera because of a supposed confession off camera doesn't come across as any less shady.
I mean, there are really really really good reasons why modern police procedures involve recording what occurs during an interview, and those reasons are the result of a long history of police officers abusing their power.

btrboyev

I have no doubt the man is guilty. I also have no doubt the police messed with evidence and tried to make the case easier.

It’s something I struggle with, but if he is guilty even with police tampering and a shitty trial, I don’t feel bad for him for sitting in jail.

I have no idea if he did this or not, but how is there no blood evidence in the garage or bedroom? That place was a mess. If he killed her, it wasn't where the prosecution claimed that he killed her.

LordRaptor

I have no doubt the man is guilty. I also have no doubt the police messed with evidence and tried to make the case easier.

It’s something I struggle with, but if he is guilty even with police tampering and a shitty trial, I don’t feel bad for him for sitting in jail.

The fundamental problem with evidence tampering is its not a police officers job to determine if someone is or is not guilty, its to try and determine what happened based on the evidence available. Its then a prosecutors job to use that evidence to create the narrative of what happened, a juries job to determine if that narrative is convincing enough, and a judges job to ensure that the prosecution and jury are adhering to the guidelines of existing law.

If you start creating evidence that doesn't exist, or changing how evidence could be interpreted by - for example - moving the location of collected evidence the probability of 'false positive' results goes up hugely. Its not like nobody has ever been wrongfully convicted even when everyone involved has done their job 'correctly' in the first place.

Sephzilla

He probably deserves a new trial just because of the shady shit the police did. That being said, I'm pretty confident that Avery is still guilty. The Making a Murderer documentary leaves out a bit of important information that makes Avery look way more guilty than the documentary made him look

Jokab

He probably deserves a new trial just because of the shady shit the police did. That being said, I'm pretty confident that Avery is still guilty. The Making a Murderer documentary leaves out a bit of important information that makes Avery look way more guilty than the documentary made him look

Can you link some of this important information?

Tovarisc

Could you say beyond reasonable doubt that he did it when you also know all shady fuckery that police and prosecution committed in order to reach some of their conclusions?

Big Blue

He burned a cat alive so I do not care what happens to him.

If you are willing to burn a cat alive, you are willing to do it to other living creatures, including humans.

He is a psychopath. Do. Not. Care.

This post is why people hate some animal lovers.

Sephzilla

That's all nonsense. It's just Kratz whining and there is nothing definitive.

https://onmilwaukee.com/movies/articles/evidenceagainstavery.html

7. Avery had drawn a torture chamber while in prison and was violent to other women

According to an Appleton Post Crescent article from March 9, 2006, "While he was in prison, Steven Avery planned the torture and killing of a young woman, new documents released Wednesday indicate. The allegations are included in 22 pages of court documents accompanying additional charges filed by Calumet County Dist. Atty. Ken Kratz. ... Kratz also included in Wednesday's filings statements from prisoners who served time with Avery at Green Bay Correctional Institution. They said Avery talked about and showed them diagrams of a torture chamber he planned to build when he was released."

Furthermore, reported the newspaper, "The filings also include statements from a woman, now 41, who said she was raped by Avery, who told her 'if she yelled or screamed there was going to be trouble.' There also is an affidavit from a girl who said she was raped by Avery. 'The victim's mother indicated that the victim does not want to speak about the sexual assault between her and Steven Avery because Steven Avery told her if she 'told anyone about their activities together he would kill her family,'" the filing said. According to the newspaper article, "The affidavit said Avery admitted to his fiancee that he had sexually assaulted the girl."

9. Avery called Auto Trader to specifically request Halbach the day she died

This is also contained in the same AP story. It said that the same woman, Pliszka, testified – this time before the jury – that Avery called her on Oct. 31, 2005 "to request the photographer who had been out to the property previously."

Angela Schuster, magazine operations supervisor, further testified that Halbach went to the Avery compound six times from June to Halloween to take pictures and also said, "She talked to Halbach by phone around 11 a.m. that day to tell her of the appointment at the Avery property," according to the AP.

14. Avery's rifle matched the bullet with the Halbach DNA on it

This is also in the opening statement. It says that Dassey said the bullet in the garage came from a specific gun of Avery's that hung on Avery's wall and that forensic testing matched the bullet with the Halbach DNA to this specific gun. This bullet was found months later by a Manitowoc law enforcement officer after others missed it during repeated searches.

I don't think anyone argues that he didn't kill her. He totally did. But the cops might have tampered with evidence, and had big conflicts of interest, which makes the whole trial a sham sadly. They decided to steamroll him because of a past case of which, he actually was innocent of.

Oh the prosecution's story was garbage sure, but he still most likely did it.

I dont believe he killed her

Kill3r7

Even if he is innocent, he will never get another trial... they won't admit that the system failed.

I wouldn't go that far. The current issue now is that his attorney does not have a very strong case for a retrial. They can ask for one but absent newly discovered evidence that is material at trial they are not likely getting one.

Top Bottom