• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe the government(s) already know what happened and are just trying to see how many people have guessed the correct outcome. They gave us all of this contradictory information to see where it would lead us.

We are just part of a large social experiment :)

Ono just tweeted that only four people have guessed the location of the plane.

Falk

that puzzling face

Interesting read.

QsWQGQt.png

To this day I still don't understand why the north and south corridors are two separate arcs instead of one long, connected one. How did they rule out that possibility that the 8:11 ping was somewhere in Laos, Vietnam or Thailand, for example?

(Yes, I know those countries have radars, but so does China, etc)

Two of the press conferences quote that it was based off last known contact with military radar (+1h34 on that diagram) and minimum speed for the closest points and maximum speed for the farthest points. However if the plane is able to double back again and again, does that not totally invalidate a minimum distance based on minimum speed? What am I missing here?

luoapp

Interesting read.

satellite-contact-map-5-600.png

To this day I still don't understand why the north and south corridors are two separate arcs instead of one long, connected one. How did they rule out that possibility that the 8:11 ping was somewhere in Laos, Vietnam or Thailand, for example?

(Yes, I know those countries have radars, but so does China, etc)

Probably at the time of the press conference, they hadn't checked with other countries other than Vietnam and Thailand.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sometimes I wish I could ask questions at the press conferences. :(

I need to know more about those mangosteens.

Interesting read.

QsWQGQt.png

That area has double satellite coverage. The plane would have been pinged by two satellites in that portion if the arc.

gutshot

If it is true that the flight path is displayed on passenger seats is there a way for it to be disabled and show something else? Maybe they didn't realize it was off course. I believe it was a night flight so maybe they were mostly settling in to get some rest.

Just so little to go by.

From the article:

If someone deliberately diverted a plane and turned off its transponder and other communications equipment, that person is likely to have disabled the in-flight entertainment system so that passengers could not figure out from the map that they were flying in the wrong direction, said a telecommunications expert who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the news media.

If it is true that the flight path is displayed on passenger seats is there a way for it to be disabled and show something else? Maybe they didn't realize it was off course. I believe it was a night flight so maybe they were mostly settling in to get some rest.

Just so little to go by.
Last time I was on a plane (which happened to be Malaysia Airlines), I remember the screen's many entertainment functions were overridden around take-off and landing - indeed it was that very tracking screen that displays by default. Only once you're cruising do they let you play F-Zero.

I think it also displayed the emergency procedure (that used to be demonstrated with an air hostess at the front of the aisles) in video form at the start, which also overrode the other functions.

So yes, I'm sure you could get it to display anything to hide the tracking.

Can one pilot lock out the second pilot?
Maybe one pilot killed the other pilot (break neck from behind or choke hold)?
Gave him a laced drink (poison or sleeping)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can one pilot lock out the second pilot?
Maybe one pilot killed the other pilot (break neck from behind or choke hold)?
Gave him a laced drink (poison or sleeping)?

All of those are possible, although usually the pilot or copilot going potty trades places with another flight crew member.

Now they're saying the turn away was programmed into the plane's computer and not a manual turn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/world/asia/malaysia-airlines-flight.html

WASHINGTON — The first turn to the west that diverted the missing Malaysia Airlines plane from its planned flight path from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing was carried out through a computer system that was most likely programmed by someone in the plane’s cockpit who was knowledgeable about airplane systems, according to senior American officials.

Red Comet

At this point it's seeming more and more like this is probably a case of pilot suicide. We pretty much know for a fact now that whoever was manipulating the plane was somebody who knew what the hell they were doing. And the more that comes out about the pilot's political leanings sort of makes this seem like it possibly could have been a political statement. Perhaps he took the plane out into the Indian Ocean so that it would be harder to find.

I dont think it was pilot suicide. If that were true, the sucidal pilot would simply push the nose down and full throttle into the ocean while the other pilot was away.

This was very carefully planned (going by when the acars etc were turned off). Someone was trying to accomplish something.

I bet they turned off the cvr as well, so we will never know what actually happened in the cockpit.

This will forever remain a mystery imo

RiZ III

::puts on tin cap:: Perhaps there was some political stow away on the plane, someone needing to escape the country/region, someone the pilot was sympathetic with and so there was some conspiracy to get this guy out.

Falk

that puzzling face

Ah, should have known to look up Inmarsat.

If that last satellite ping is true (still find this not certain, since it's not as clear evidence as an actual message from the plane), there was only a little bit of fuel left.

- Why does the satellite data suggest two corridors? - Satellite is geo-satellite over Indian Ocean. Satellite could only see the aircraft at elevation of 40 degrees. The only information of each handshake is timestamp. Calculated from last point in Straits of Malacca & based in min and max speed. FAA, NTSB, AAIB the Chinese all agreed.

A little paraphrasing, but seems really clear to me, with multiple agencies from different countries agreeing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Reposted:

If that last satellite ping is true (still find this not certain, since it's not as clear evidence as an actual message from the plane), there was only a little bit of fuel left.

So I think it becomes a bit questionable how when you put all the data together, it makes the whole scenario even less likely. Every bit of info makes the story less believable.

The plane would have been hijacked without anyone knowing, whoever did so managed to turn off all communications, even phones, avoid being subdued by a crew member close by such as co-pilot (so either he is taken out super quick or is working with him, making this even less likely) turned around, avoided radar detection, pretty much manages to take everyone out on the plane somehow, flew in high altitude, back down, then flew for hours until a satellite supposedly pinged it when it had less than an hour of fuel left in a location that contradicts the last know direction it took, so wherever it was going was on the edge of its reach, another strange coincidence, and no one makes any believable claim to having executed this plan. It's like purposely the most far-fetched of missions. Not only is someone going to pull all of this off, but he will then keep the plane afloat to go as far as possible until there is barely any fuel left, without being detected by anyone, without being dealt with by the crew and passengers? Why make this the most complicated and risk-prone operation imaginable?

It seems to me there is a disconnect between the information released and the plausibility of where the plane could be.

Is there portable tech that exists that could jam all incoming and outgoing communications from an airplane, even from phones? There was a story of garbled message being heard by a Japanese pilot who made contact with the plane, but this story was then denied. What if the airplane carried tech that allowed it to hide itself, causing the garbled message heard?

Something strange is going on:

22SoXob.jpg

According to that map the plane was supposed to go to PEK which i'm assuming is Peking, China but when I try to look up Peking on the internet/wikipedia there is no information. Did an entire city disappear?

Vesmir

Banned

[IM]http://i.imgur.com/22SoXob.jpg[/IMG]

According to that map the plane was supposed to go to PEK which i'm assuming is Peking, China but when I try to look up Peking on the internet/wikipedia there is no information. Did an entire city disappear?

No, PEK is the airport code for Beijing International Airport

22SoXob.jpg

Is this a serious post?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beijing

Over the past 3,000 years, the city of Beijing has had numerous other names. The name Beijing, which means "Northern Capital" (from the Chinese characters 北 for north and 京 for capital), was applied to the city in 1403 during the Ming Dynasty to distinguish the city from Nanjing (the "Southern Capital").[13] The English spelling is based on the pinyin romanization of the two characters as they are pronounced in Standard Mandarin. An older English spelling, Peking, is the Postal Map Romanization of the same two characters as they are pronounced in Chinese dialects spoken in the southern port towns first visited by European traders and missionaries.[14] Those dialects preserve the Middle Chinese pronunciation of 京 as kjaeng,[15] prior to a phonetic shift in the northern dialects to the modern pronunciation.[16]
The single Chinese character abbreviation for Beijing is 京, which appears on automobile license plates in the city. The official Latin alphabet abbreviation for Beijing is "BJ".[17]

And PEK returns the beijing airport

About the lack of debris. Maybe the pilot gently eased the aircraft into the ocean all intact. Then he didnt open the emergency doors and let it sink into the ocean????

Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom