• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falk

that puzzling face
To be quite honest over the past few days the only time this thread has been really serious have been around and after the press conferences.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
If you believe the pilot or co pilot was a part of this, it does not logically follow that its in the Indian ocean.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ah, should have known to look up Inmarsat.

A little paraphrasing, but seems really clear to me, with multiple agencies from different countries agreeing.

What is clear? That this is what the satellite ping would mean if it had detected the plane as it did, or it's clear that the satellite did detect the actual plane? Cause so far I have read nothing indicating that anyone has had access to that data or that it confirmed it was the actual plane.

Vesmir

Banned
But he specifically mentioned Wikipedia in his post, and he's been trolling for at least the last few pages. It's unfunny and tiresome.

Oh that's unfortunate/insensitive, especially since there are people in the thread whose family or friends were on the plane.

crozier

Fox is reporting that Israel is taking security precautions due to the missing aircraft. I'd bet that the U.S. Already has too...much like they did when that 727 was stolen in Africa in the 90's.

They mentioned on CNN that Malaysia has only released the general location of the last ping. If they released the locations of all the prior pings, we might get a better sense of the plane's flight path and destination (if it even had one).

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
If you believe the pilot or co pilot was a part of this, it does not logically follow that its in the Indian ocean.
Pilot suicide is not out of the question. There is a precedent for that.

And it's easy to explain the motivation for it too. If the plane is never found, it looks like an accident. If it is an accident, life insurance still pays, the family name isn't marred by the homicide of passengers, etc.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member

And it's easy to explain the motivation for it too. If the plane is never found, it looks like an accident. If it is an accident, life insurance still pays, the family name isn't marred by the homicide of passengers, etc.

Flying it 7 hours off course to just dump it in a different Ocean? Why not just continue into the one right off the coast of Malaysia?

luoapp

They mentioned on CNN that Malaysia has only released the general location of the last ping. If they released the locations of all the prior pings, we might get a better sense of the plane's flight path and destination (if it even had one).

I kinda doubt it. Remember, for every ping, you don't get a point, you get two arcs with a gap inbetween. Unless, one ping is so far north or south that one arc can be effectively eliminated ( almost impossible), previous pings don't provide much more location information.

Red Comet

I think there's easier ways to make it look like an accident if that were the case. Turning off the transponder and programming a U-turn are suspicious as hell. If it were pilot suicide, I'm more inclined to think it would be as a political statement.

Red Comet

Flying it 7 hours off course to just dump it in a different Ocean? Why not just continue into the one right off the coast of Malaysia?

Well there is a lot less in the Indian Ocean, so that would be were you'd want to take it if you don't want it to be found for whatever reason. I'm still not entirely convinced that that was the intention, but I guess it make some sense.

This shit is getting insane, is the plane in the drink, or post up on a tropical island... who knows.
My thought exactly. Why go to the trouble of turning off communications/track if you end-game is simply to crash the plane.

But he specifically mentioned Wikipedia in his post, and he's been trolling for at least the last few pages. It's unfunny and tiresome.

I'm sorry a lot of people have been posting silly stuff though so it wasn't just me. I also genuinely was curious about the whole Peking/Beijing thing.

Falk

that puzzling face
What is clear? That this is what the satellite ping would mean if it had detected the plane as it did, or it's clear that the satellite did detect the actual plane? Cause so far I have read nothing indicating that anyone has had access to that data or that it confirmed it was the actual plane.

What's clear is that five different agencies from four different countries scrubbed the data and came to the same conclusion. You'd think they'd not have overlooked something as fucking stupid as 'oh lol this blip wasn't the plane after all' all in parallel.

I guess we could discount that and go back to internet speculations though. They're all just about equally as likely at this point anyway.

The city is still called "Pekin" in french.
Like Pekin, Illinois. Where until 1980 the official high school team name was a certain racial epithet that rhymes with "sinks."

I feel overwhelmed by this story. It's all I can think about. I NEED to know what happened to that plane. It's almost like I am traumatized thinking about what it would be like to be on a plane that crashes and I need closure of some sort. I cannot imagine how the families of the passengers and crew are feeling. It makes me really upset thinking about it.

God dammit what happened?!?!

toxicgonzo

The coast of Malaysia is shallow water. Fly out to the Indian Ocean and the depth is 10,000+ ft.

I think there's easier ways to make it look like an accident if that were the case. Turning off the transponder and programming a U-turn are suspicious as hell. If it were pilot suicide, I'm more inclined to think it would be as a political statement.
I grant that turning off the transponder is suspicious. However, the pilot really didn't want anybody to find the plane's blackbox which contains pilot audio but also the parameters for all the controls surfaces, air speed, etc. Other aircraft "accidents" turned out to be pilot suicides after investigators reviewed the blackbox and found the pilot angled the plane to nosedive.

tino

Banned
I have a question, is it possible to fly the plane to 45000 ft to kill of the fire? And the high attitude happened to kill off the fire AND the all people on the plane. So the plane was on cruise control for the next 6 hours,flying essentially as a "ghost plane" and finally drop to sea peacefully.

I have a question, is it possible to fly the plane to 45000 ft to kill of the fire? And the high attitude happened to kill off the fire AND the all people on the plane. So the plane was on cruise control for the next 6 hours,flying essentially as a "ghost plane" and finally drop to sea peacefully.
wait, what fire?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The coast of Malaysia is shallow water. Fly out to the Indian Ocean and the depth is 10,000+ ft.

I grant that turning off the transponder is suspicious. However, the pilot really didn't want anybody to find the plane's blackbox which contains pilot audio but also the parameters for all the controls surfaces, air speed, etc. Other aircraft "accidents" turned out to be pilot suicides after investigators reviewed the blackbox and found the pilot angled the plane to nosedive.

Oh yeah that makes so much more sense than saying aloud that you are losing control of the airplane and whatnot.

The guy was so sure of himself he turned off all communications, managed to do "something" that prevented everyone on board from phoning anywhere, avoids all radars, satellites, etc., and goes to hide under the ocean the other way around?

Doesn't make any sense. Plus, that's only "justifiable" because it has worked so far. It would be nonsensical as soon as the black boxes would be found. That a pilot could have bet everything on such an impossible mission is really far fetched.

Only if the plane changed direction a second time and headed south. The plane supposedly went back down to a lower altitude, which could be an automated response from the plane. Plus again that means a really weird coincidence that not only was there a fire, but a fire that specifically took out all communications methods before anything could be reported.

This is a theory that has been discussed. Apparently flying up to put out a fire is not SOP - you are supposed to get down and land as quickly as possible. But some folks have theorized that if the pilot decided he couldn't land in time he could have attempted this. It would work, but like you say it would also incapacitate people pretty quickly.

The only thing that makes the theory hard to swallow is that the plane changed directions a couple times after the ascent/descent (if the altitude readings were even correct in the first place , which some people doubt).

the fire that the magical iguanas started in the cargo bay
Iguanas on a Plane
cast.jpg

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Something strange is going on:

22SoXob.jpg

According to that map the plane was supposed to go to PEK which i'm assuming is Peking, China but when I try to look up Peking on the internet/wikipedia there is no information. Did an entire city disappear?
anticitizen one pls

tino

Banned
This is a theory that has been discussed. Apparently flying up to put out a fire is not SOP - you are supposed to get down and land as quickly as possible. But some folks have theorized that if the pilot decided he couldn't land in time he could have attempted this. It would work, but like you say it would also incapacitate people pretty quickly.

The only thing that makes the theory hard to swallow is that the plane changed directions a couple times after the ascent/descent (if the altitude readings were even correct in the first place , which some people doubt).

I think I will pin the rest of the "direction changes" to the incompetence of the Malaysia military radar. Unless Malaysia let Americans audit their data, I don't have confidence in this supposedly route change.

There's apparently massive tension between Shias and Sunnis in Malaysia too, to the point that aspects of Shia are criminalized. This could very well turn out to be an internal religious conflict too. I imagine they're going to dig extensively into the pilot and copilot's backgrounds...

Im guessing not so subtle "interrogation" of friends associates and family.

I think I will pin the rest of the "direction changes" to the incompetence of the Malaysia military radar. Unless Malaysia let Americans audit their data, I don't have confidence in this supposedly route change.
Well they have doubled back on things they released before, so it wouldn't shock me if we heard another "whoops, actually we got the path all wrong..."

I have to think there was a TON of pressure to share some of that data though, and I wouldn't be surprised if the US said share it or we'll leak that you refused.

Falk

that puzzling face

One of the questions in 3/17's press conference was if it was a national threat to have shared military radar data with foreign agencies. The answer was along the lines of "yes technically it would be but that's something we are going to look at going forward, right now we are trying to find the plane"

One of the questions in 3/17's press conference was if it was a national threat to have shared military radar data with foreign agencies. The answer was along the lines of "yes technically it would be but that's something we are going to look at going forward, right now we are trying to find the plane"

"Also, come on seriously, we're Malaysia" he added.

Even if all that is true and the plane eventually crashed they would have more than likely found the wreckage by now

The guy was so sure of himself he turned off all communications, managed to do "something" that prevented everyone on board from phoning anywhere, avoids all radars, satellites, etc., and goes to hide under the ocean the other way around?

Serious question: Have you ever been on a plane?

Because if so, you'd know that you don't get any cellphone signal whatsoever whenever you go above ~3000ft.

toxicgonzo

Doesn't make any sense. Plus, that's only "justifiable" because it has worked so far. It would be nonsensical as soon as the black boxes would be found. That a pilot could have bet everything on such an impossible mission is really far fetched.
I see your point in the impossible mission, but I disagree on this point.
It took 2 years to find the blackbox for Air France and they even had a general idea of where it was.

MH370's blackbox could be anywhere and short of any new information I have a bad feeling it will never be found.

Megasoum

Banned
So how can they know that the turn was done by the automatic pilot?

The only ways I could see that are:

1-They saw the turn and decided it was too smooth and "perfect" to be done manually. Problem with that is that I really doubt that have precise enough information to see that kind of stuff.
2-They saw that the new heading was directly toward a specific waypoint in the system which sound like the moste plausible way but even then, in theory, it could have been done manually.

Also, depending on how the turn was actually done, it doesn't necessarly require that much aviation knowledge. If we're talking about changing the flightplan in the computer then yes you need some knowledge but that's not that complicated (I could most probably do it myself after playing with PMDG 777 in FSX for a while). On the other hand, if it was simply a heading change on the autopilot then it really doesn't require that much knowledge.All you need to know is where the HDG knob is on the center panel in the cockpit.

So how can they know that the turn was done by the automatic pilot?

The only ways I could see that are:

1-They saw the turn and decided it was too smooth and "perfect" to be done manually. Problem with that is that I really doubt that have precise enough information to see that kind of stuff.
2-They saw that the new heading was directly toward a specific waypoint in the system which sound like the moste plausible way but even then, in theory, it could have been done manually.

Also, depending on how the turn was actually done, it doesn't necessarly require that much aviation knowledge. If we're talking about changing the flightplan in the computer then yes you need some knowledge but that's not that complicated (I could most probably do it myself after playing with PMDG 777 in FSX for a while). On the other hand, if it was simply a heading change on the autopilot then it really doesn't require that much knowledge.All you need to know is where the HDG knob is on the center panel in the cockpit.

Your 2nd idea is correct. It was a path from one way point to another. It is just very unlikely to do it manually.

Vormund

this doesnt sound like malaysia air's fault at all, i hope they surive this incident as an airline.

Yeah as someone who flies with Malaysia airlines usually a couple of times a year, I feel sorry for the business and workers. They've been pretty good.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Serious question: Have you ever been on a plane?

Because if so, you'd know that you don't get any cellphone signal whatsoever whenever you go above ~3000ft.

There's a whole article on the NYT covering this subject, you're wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/18/w...ne-calls-from-missing-passengers.html?hp&_r=0

Many aircraft carry air phones using radio or satellite technology, and the Malaysia Airlines jet was equipped with them in business class. The plane continued to send satellite pings for nearly seven hours after it was apparently diverted.

But air phones these days tend to be part of an aircraft’s in-flight entertainment system. If someone deliberately diverted a plane and turned off its transponder and other communications equipment, that person is likely to have disabled the in-flight entertainment system so that passengers could not figure out from the map that they were flying in the wrong direction, said a telecommunications expert who insisted on anonymity because he was not authorized to talk to the news media.

If the entertainment system was turned off, the air phones also would not work, the expert said.

So it's again another unlikely point among so many others that make the whole thing as we know it today even less likely. The airplane still being in the air when it has around 30mins of fuel left again emphasizes how "over the top" this whole thing is; it's likely every little factor is pushed to the extreme.

sangreal

The pilot can just disable the CVR and FDR, which is what likely happened on the silk air flight

Wait until people stop looking for it. Give it a quick & dirty paint job just to hide the obvious stuff. Change or remove the transponder. Fly it into the White House.

Making the assumption that the plane was in fact "stolen", that's my theory as to why.

Yeah, because a 777 will be able to get anywhere near the fucking Whitehouse, right?

Seriously, do some of you even believe the shit you're saying? In what fantasyland do you live in where a 777 can fly across the world then into the whitehouse? It seems many here have a fetish with these insane terrorist attack theories.

Well the plane can be repainted and used as a trojan horse to bring in something nasty to a western country. That is what i'm most concerned about.

A stolen passenger jet can be used for some very scary things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom