• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

linsivvi

It doesn't make sense at all. If the Taliban was involved they would've used the plane to attack right away.

Hiding it somewhere and maintain it until it can strike again is just stupid. It's almost impossible to pull off.

royalan

It doesn't make sense at all. If the Taliban was involved they would've used the plane to attack right away.

Hiding it somewhere and maintain it until it can strike again is just stupid. It's almost impossible to pull off.

This has me thinking: as much as I'm leaning toward fowl play/hijacking at this point (some signs of a wreckage would have been found by now, otherwise. No way that plane crashed into the ocean and sank completely intact)...just how easy is it to hide a 777 jet? Those things are gigantic, and you can't just park it behind some bushes...

duckroll

It's certainly not true to think that some wreckage will definitely be found by now if it crashed. On the contrary it is pretty likely that if it did crash in the middle of the ocean somewhere that it could take days or months before any sign of wreckage is found. As long as no one knows where exactly to look, it's going to be really hard to find anything. There's a lot of ocean out there.

Sec0nd

Terrorist hijacking the plane and than stashing it somewhere to use in a future attack is so crazy and insane I almost wish it would be true. I still think it has crashed somewhere. But I honestly don't know anymore with all the crazy information out there. It sure is one heck of a case.

Terrorist hijacking the plane and than stashing it somewhere to use in a future attack is so crazy and insane I almost wish it would be true. I still think it has crashed somewhere. But I honestly don't know anymore with all the crazy information out there. It sure is one heck of a case.

It does sound crazy, they would have needed somewhere for the plane to land and take off. Also getting enough fuel to refuel the plane would attract plenty of attension.

Goodlife

This has me thinking: as much as I'm leaning toward fowl play/hijacking at this point (some signs of a wreckage would have been found by now, otherwise.

It took them 5 days to locate debris from the Air France plane and they knew the rough area to look.

If the plane has flown for 5 - 7 hours from it's last known position then it's going to take a very very very long time (if ever) to locate.

wondermega

it's been fascinating following this - and at the same time, extremely harrowing and depressing. I'm just now getting extremely tired of the big-league backpedaling going on in the spotlight. Officials saying "now, we, uh... we don't want to come out and say it was an intentional act here, but it proooooobbaly pretttty much wassss.. actually... no, no wait, actually. it wasn't... but it kinda.. might have been...? or well.. wait.. we don't know.. but please, just give us the benefit of the doubt, I promise we are competent!"

I am kinda ready to tune out on following this case because it's never going to be an easy answer and all it will ever be is agonizing considering there are so many families and friends of these people who so suddenly disappeared in a whiff of smoke. And that's just sad, and it sucks that they (the families and friends) have to get yanked around by the politics of those folks in high places who are honestly more concerned that to keep up appearances like they know what they are doing (and don't lose face around their peers) than actually care one way or the other about the fate of these poor souls and those who care about them.

wapplew

it's been fascinating following this - and at the same time, extremely harrowing and depressing. I'm just now getting extremely tired of the big-league backpedaling going on in the spotlight. Officials saying "now, we, uh... we don't want to come out and say it was an intentional act here, but it proooooobbaly pretttty much wassss.. actually... no, no wait, actually. it wasn't... but it kinda.. might have been...? or well.. wait.. we don't know.. but please, just give us the benefit of the doubt, I promise we are competent!"

Possibility, consistency, possibility, possibility, consistence from day 1, possibility

mAcOdIn

Well the plane can be repainted and used as a trojan horse to bring in something nasty to a western country. That is what i'm most concerned about.
I'm sorry, painted? Would the paint job of an aircraft even matter at this point?

This is the way I see it, the plane could either go undetected painted any way it wants and reach its destination or get detected with any paint job and get intercepted and brought down if it doesn't follow directions. The key there is whether it's detected or not not what it looks like. I really don't see a situation where the paint job matters. To me it seems like so much is done far beyond visual range now that the paint job is the last thing on a plane to matter now. On the other hand, if there's a way to spoof identification then it could probably also enter any country without incident no matter the paint job.

evanmisha

A polish tabloid has put forth a "shocking theory" about the incident.

They believe it might had been abducted..... by aliens. That want to study human technology.

3MgIhON.jpg

I'm not saying it was aliens, but...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
This has me thinking: as much as I'm leaning toward fowl play/hijacking at this point (some signs of a wreckage would have been found by now, otherwise. No way that plane crashed into the ocean and sank completely intact)...just how easy is it to hide a 777 jet? Those things are gigantic, and you can't just park it behind some bushes...

So, geese?

liquidtmd

Banned
Hmm wait, I'm at work today. They typically hold a press conference at 5.30am local time and its currently 6.21am local - did they just have one? I can't easily check at the mo.

Falk - save us from misinformation and post your Godly synopsis of the daily contradictions if appropriate!

EDIT: There was one. A quick cut and paste job from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10704769/Malaysian-Airlines-MH370-live.html

Not much new as far as a quick scan indicates. Dodges of questions and answers that present more questions. Suprise surpise with the Daily fail and CNN getting honorable dismentions.

Latest

10.17 So what did we learn from this morning's press conference?

- The pilots would not have been accustomed to flying over either the northern or southern corridors.

Malaysia Airlines MH370: Co-pilot was last to speak from cockpit
17 Mar 2014

- The total search area is now 2.24 million sq nautical miles.

- The ACARS system was disabled some time between 1.07am and 1.37am.

10.10 A final question.

Was the plane's flight path programmed?

Quote As far as we are concerned, it was programmed to fly to Beijing.

Once you are in the aircraft, anything is possible.

10.08 Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister, is being asked about "international plots".

The reporter is obviously referring to the stories of "9/11 style" attacks.

Quote I would not want the team to be distracted by other issues.

It is imperative that within the corridors all efforts are directed to locating the aircraft.

I believe if we can find the aircraft soon, Inshah Allah, then we will find the black box and answer these questions.

10.07 Malaysia Airlines representative confirms that the pilot would not have been familiar with the northern or southern corridor routes, because the company does not have any routes in that direction.

A handout picture released by the Malaysian prime minister's office shows a map of the northern search corridor for the missing Malaysian Airlines flight MH370

10.04 Mr Hussein is being asked about the data which has been released - and what information they are witholding.

Quote I have stated on the record that we have put aside our national security interests, to release sensitive radar data.

We have put the interests of the passenger and the plane above national security interests.

10.01 The team are being asked, by a France 24 reporter, about why it took them seven days to confirm the plane performed a U-turn.

The France 24 journalist then asked Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister, whether he can confirm he is the cousin of Najib Razak, the prime minister, "and whether he is being protected."

He looks deeply unimpressed.

Quote Protected from what?

They move on to the next question.

09.58 The team are being asked about the hunger strike which Chinese relatives are said to have begun, to press for more information.

They say they will "look into it".

09.51 Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister, has been asked about internal political rivalries affecting the search.

He replies:

Quote We have been very consistent. The government's position has always been - and remains - that this question is above politics.

It is the foreign press which has brought that up. If I am not mistaken, it was The Daily Mail and CNN who said brought politics into this.

09.50 Malaysia's transport minister says that they have consulted the US about using their satellite data.

Earlier, the foreign affairs minister said that many countries were handing over their satellite information - but he wouldn't say which countries, or what data.

Of course, the question of who has what satellites, and where, is very sensitive.

09.49 The team are taking questions now from the many journalists gathered in the Sama Sama hotel.

They have been criticised over the past ten days for providing contradictory accounts.

Here's more detail on how Malaysia has handled this crisis:

Malaysian officials out of their depth in crisis management

09.41 Mr Aman has been in Europe this week, he says, and has been heartened by the sympathy and offers of help.

But he continues, in a pointed manner:

Quote The main objective is to locate the aircraft. This search is bigger than politics.

No body should seek to make cheap points from this.

09.40 Now Malaysia's foreign minister, Anifah Aman, is speaking.

He says 14 diplomatic notes have been sent to the countries involved in the search.

09.38 Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister, on the contradictory statements over the past week about the timing of the disabling of ACARS.

Quote It is important to realise that the exact time the ACARS was switched off has no bearing on the location of the plane.

Our priority has always been to find the aircraft.

An Australian AP-3C Orion maritime patrol aircraft scans the surface of the sea during a search operation for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight

09.37 He is now moving on to talk about ACARS (Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System) and the timeframe.

This is crucial - and something that Malaysia has been criticised for muddling.

09.35 Mr Hussein says the search area is enormous - the southern corner is comprised of six quadrants measuring 400 nautical miles by 400 nautical miles.

The northern corridor is also 1600 sq nautical miles.

This means that the total search area is 2.24m square nautical miles.

Quote This is an enormous search area, and something that Malaysia cannot search alone.

I am pleased that so many countries have come forward to help.

09.34 Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's transport minister, has begun the press conference.

Quote Yesterday I stated that the search has entered a new phase.

The search and rescue operations have taken on a new international dimension. The search is still coordinated by Malaysia, but has taken on a more international role.

Over the past 24 hours, we have been working hard with our colleagues to narrow the search corridors.

Megasoum

Banned
One important point to note. If the transponders were really turned off intentionally then 99% chance that the person also turned off the CVR and CFR (the black boxes). So even if we find debris, we might never know why it crashed.

Falk

that puzzling face
Malaysian Press Conference, 2014-03-18, 17:30

Statement

- Yesterday search entered new phase - New international dimension. Still coordinated by Malaysia but partners taken increasing role.

- Working hard to narrow search corridors. 4 tasks:
-- Gathering information from satellite surveillance
-- Analysis of surveillance radar data
-- Increasing assets (air and surface)
-- Increasing # of technical & subject matter experts

- Cannot disclose who has what satellite capability, but we have asked every relevant country who has access to satellite data.

- re: analysis of radar data - South spearheaded by Indonesia and Australia, while North spearheaded by China and Kazakhstan

- All ASEAN countries requested for air assets especially with deep ocean surveillance detection capabilities. International partners all asked to look at primary data

- North corridor divided into 7 quadrants of 400x400Nm. Ditto south corridor. 2.24 million square nautical miles total.

- <assets report shortened by me: Mostly aircraft (P3 Orion, C-130s)>

- Clarification of ACARS - Saturday's statement information not entirely correct but drafted in presence of international agencies. Newer info about 30-minute window is correct. This has no bearing on the search though, and conclusion about deliberate movement still applies regardless of sequence of events.

- Search is bigger than politics. Search remains top priority.

Statement 2
- Seeking assistance from 25 countries involved. 12 Diplomatic Notes sent; response is excellent.

- Complex issue coordinating 25 countries of different styles of govt. but this involves everyone.

- Reiterated politics should not be an issue, all efforts should be on finding the plane.

Q&A Local
- 5 illegal landing points? (Question said illegal) - (Malay answer) - IGP did not announce anything like that when he was here. IGP would be able to reveal their findings about that very soon.

- (Malay answer) Regarding social media that Malaysia is a terrorist nest: Dealt with this a lot in my experience 5 years as Home Affairs Minister but it's very clear it's is completely baseless and has nothing to do with today's issue. Terrorism issue was raised because of the 2 Iranians with false passports, but this was inspected by respective agencies and dismissed completely. That Malaysia is a terrorist nest, I completely refute that.

- Very complex diplomatic situation, but one thing is for sure, Malaysian government has cordial with all the countries. Prime Minister is communicating by direct calls, etc.

- Southern corridor faces more challenges - Australia and Indonesia are geographically there. Looking at getting help from US in terms of satellite, radar, aircraft & vessels for assistance in southern corridor.

- Decompression theory? Not discounting any possibility, that's why we need to find the aircraft to post-mortem the system, structure, etc.

- <Wasn't too sure what the point of this question was, something about "can experts tell us why the plane hasn't been found yet?">

- Many people linking this case with Anwar. Will he be called to help in the investigation? - (big sigh lol) Government's main focus is to search and rescue. We didn't bring up politics. It was brought up by foreign media, dailymail & CNN. Our stance is this issue is above politics.

- <Seems like a really dumb question about being able to bring back 200 people with the current assets e.g. boats that can only hold 80 - Hishammuddin rolls with it with an answer that there will be a capability breakdown of assets in future>

- (Malay answer) Up til now we haven't contacted Iran, because we have felt it is not required. They have been doing very detailed investigations. If there is a requirement for them to contact us, we'll take care of it

- (Malay answer) Did we receive information from Thailand about unidentified aircraft? - Nothing of that sort, recent conversation with Thailand's military. Requested closer look at playback of radar data, specifically in the timeframe suggested by the available data.

- (Malay answer) No passengers had piloting background

- Reports about "new waypoints being set", could have been done before plane took off or during flight? - Cannot confirm these reports. Investigations ongoing.

Q&A International
- Both north and south are still possible locations. Right now all efforts are being used to reduce area of concentration. Done by re-looking at satellite data we already have, seeking assistance from friends who have satellite, radar data, to try and narrow the area. Until then, both corridors are still priority

- Hunger strike? - Doing all we can to ensure families are given sufficient information and care. Will definitely look into immediately if it's a threat.

- Discussion this morning with US about our immediate focus. US assets are best for south corridor.

- Thailand airforce announced they may have seen missing plane? (repeated question) - Not aware of this info.

- <wtf at this question lol> Hishammuddin is confirmed to be Najib's cousin! The entity that Hishammuddin requires protection from is still inconclusive at this stage.

- Possibility of malfunction but satellite communication system was still active until 8:11 while reporting system was disabled.

- What kind of information is being withheld? - On record we have put aside national security by disclosing radar data. If we did not do that, we wouldn't be at this point. (I -think- press question may have been regarding withholding information from MEDIA, not from investigators, in which case the answer is fairly obvious due to sensitivity of military capabilities etc)

- Transponder was shut off at 1:21. re: Pilot experience, we do not fly to northern corridor's countries, so no experience flying there

- Question answered before re: no realtime response to malaysian military radar. Skipped

- Cannot speculate about MH370 being part of intricate plan. All leaders, from superpowers to ASEAN agree it's an unprecedented and complex situation. We need to find the aircraft and its black box so we can answer speculation from around the world.

- About radar and satellite radar from foreign countries - We cannot disclose information because it is privileged information. We cannot confirm which countries shared radar, but yes there have been disclosures. Only Malaysian radar is publicized as of now

- Aircraft was programmed to fly to Beijing as standard procedure, as it was scheduled. Once you're in the aircraft, anything is possible. Current report about turnback being pre-programmed is speculation.

End

FALKRANT (Ignore, keyword for thread search)

Falk

that puzzling face
Holy shit I fell out of my chair at the question about protection.

edit: Telegraph's transcripts look pretty good! I might take a break if they're consistently doing a good summary.

liquidtmd

Banned
Hypothetical projection throwing it out there based purely on:

10.07 Malaysia Airlines representative confirms that the pilot would not have been familiar with the northern or southern corridor routes, because the company does not have any routes in that direction.

Surely they've had enough time to rip apart the pilots much touted Home Simulator by now: would they have not added a cavaet to this answer if they'd found any significant northern or southern corridor data on it?

Not to feed speculation but is it possible there were/was more people on the plane than the crew and passengers? Is security tight enough to guarantee a mechanic, a baggage handler, someone posing as these, or some other person couldn't sneak onto the plane? Is the cargo/baggage area accessible to the passenger section and flight deck on a 777?

Falk

that puzzling face

Surely they've had enough time to rip apart the pilots much touted Home Simulator by now: would they have not added a cavaet to this answer if they'd found any significant northern or southern corridor data on it?

Another answer actually stated that the IGP would be able to share their findings soon.

edit: inspector general

I would expect a decent simulator would have data for the entire globe, and as an enthusiast I'm sure he'd not want to just fly the route he does at work. So it's highly likely that he has flown in the northern and southern corridors many times, and it wouldn't mean anything. It might be suspicious is if there is some data showing that he had planned a very similar route to the one of flight 370, i.e. turning back before Vietnam, doing weird manoeuvres in the Indian Ocean, etc.

liquidtmd

Banned
I would expect a decent simulator would have data for the entire globe, and as an enthusiast I'm sure he'd not want to just fly the route he does at work. So it's highly likely that he has flown in the northern and southern corridors many times, and it wouldn't mean anything. It might be suspicious is if there is some data showing that he had planned a very similar route to the one of flight 370, i.e. turning back before Vietnam, doing weird manoeuvres in the Indian Ocean, etc.

Yes - that's what I meant in a a roundabout way. Anything significant from it, i.e original start point / waypoint / change in trajectory - final destination along these corridoors.

I've honestly no idea how easy it is to pull previous flight data from these kind of simulators. It's just been a good few days now that they've had this Simulator and if anything significant was going to come of it, I'd like to believe they would have spoke up by now.

However, judging from their approach so far I'm not convinced they would. If I were the pilots family, I'd want the authorities to use every avenue to help exonerate the guy (admittedly difficult given the lack of evidence, but since the simulator has been made much of in the Press its a key point of helping confirm / deny this)

I've honestly no idea how easy it is to pull previous flight data from these kind of simulators. It's just been a good few days now that they've had this Simulator and if anything significant was going to come of it, I'd like to believe they would have spoke up by now.

You would think the pilot would be intelligent enough to delete any possible history that exists on this simulator before pulling something like this... Considering everything else he did, it would be downright dumb to forget such a critical detail.

Not to feed speculation but is it possible there were/was more people on the plane than the crew and passengers? Is security tight enough to guarantee a mechanic, a baggage handler, someone posing as these, or some other person couldn't sneak onto the plane? Is the cargo/baggage area accessible to the passenger section and flight deck on a 777?
There was a theory about that last week that some pilot put forward I think on cnn. I think it was hiding in the electrical bay or something. I don't know if it made sense

liquidtmd

Banned
You would think the pilot would be intelligent enough to delete any possible history that exists on this simulator before pulling something like this... Considering everything else he did, it would be downright dumb to forget such a critical detail.

Agreed.

I just would like them to come out and say 'the guy had a Flight Simulator but theres no evidence of anything on it technically correlating to any relevant part of this enquiry'

Instead at the moment the media can get away with "...and the Pilot had a flight sim at home to practice - DUN DUN DUUUURURRRRRRRRRRRR".

syllogism

BANGKOK – The Royal Thai Air Force said Tuesday it detected blips from an unidentified aircraft that correspond with information that the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 turned away from its planned flight path before it disappeared.

Air Chief Marshal Prajin Jantong, chief of the Royal Thai Air Force, told reporters that the air force radar station in southern Surat Thani province picked up blips from an unidentified aircraft that could have been the Malaysian jet.

The blips were detected under the “Skin Paint” mode–which shows bright or colored blips caused by the reflected radar signal from an object’s surface—after the radar data from flight MH370 disappeared, Mr. Prajin said.

“We found that the plane made a U-turn to follow the path it just took, passing the tip of Kuala Lumpur. Then it flew to the direction of Butterworth [Air Force station in Malaysia’s state of Penang] before the skin paint radar disappeared,” Mr. Prajin said.

Mr. Prajin said he couldn’t confirm if the data came from the missing aircraft. The Air Force planned to verify the radar data with Aeronautical Radio of Thailand, a state enterprise air-traffic controller, and Malaysian authorities, he said.

Earlier, the Thai Air Force said its radar only detected brief data from MH370 as the flight didn’t fly over Thailand. However, officers were instructed on Monday to recheck historical radar records upon Malaysia’s request, an air force spokesman said.
http://stream.wsj.com/story/malaysia-airlines-flight-370/SS-2-475558/SS-2-484171/

Could be a bit poorly worded, but that doesn't seem to exactly match the flight path based on Malaysian radar data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom