• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
In past hijackings, they examine the flights manifests etc and tell us almost right away who was involved.

The flight manifest is clean so far. I mean, you're assuming nefarious activity, and that hasn't even been confirmed yet. How are they supposed to find a perp when they don't even know if it's a crime? Need the black box.

sinxtanx

The plane ran into some antimatter while in the air, and the reaction immediately annihilated the antimatter and plane leaving no debris at all.

Strange but true

liquidtmd

Banned

Tom_Cody

Yeah, I've read that book too. Totally anti-climatic.

R0zAnx6.jpg

Help me out here, it's been a while -
did the pilot let his son fly the plane?
Based on a real story though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroflot_Flight_593

Deku Tree

The flight manifest is clean so far. I mean, you're assuming nefarious activity, and that hasn't even been confirmed yet. How are they supposed to find a perp when they don't even know if it's a crime? Need the black box.

Well the US is scaling back their efforts in the search, which may indicate they know more than they are telling us... and many experts involved have said this looks very much like the results of deliberate actions. Presumably at least the USA has forensically studied the flight manifests and studied the life histories of all passengers on board and come up with a list of potential people who could be involved in such deliberate actions. Is it just the pilots?

Except they havn't even confirmed this is a hijacking to begin with.

Of course I am not saying that it was a hijacking either IMO. I am just saying why don't they give us a list of potential passengers who could have been involved in such deliberate actions? Maybe they don't want to unfairly label people who may not have been involved without more concrete evidence...

Yes - that's what I meant in a a roundabout way. Anything significant from it, i.e original start point / waypoint / change in trajectory - final destination along these corridoors.

I've honestly no idea how easy it is to pull previous flight data from these kind of simulators. It's just been a good few days now that they've had this Simulator and if anything significant was going to come of it, I'd like to believe they would have spoke up by now.

However, judging from their approach so far I'm not convinced they would. If I were the pilots family, I'd want the authorities to use every avenue to help exonerate the guy (admittedly difficult given the lack of evidence, but since the simulator has been made much of in the Press its a key point of helping confirm / deny this)

I usually sim about once a day on XPlane 10 and it logs and saves every route I have ever flown. I can save or delete specific routes, however. So presumably if, if the pilot is involved he could have easily scrubbed the routes.

To be honest if it was any of the passengers then we would know by now. In nearly every attack the intelligence community has a name and when and where they planned it within a week. Its been 10 days and nothing

For all I know, it could be one of the 2 Russians and 1 Ukrainian passenger who took over flight controls to distract the worlds attention away from Crimea

Phoenix

Of course I am not saying that it was a hijacking either IMO. I am just saying why don't they give us a list of potential passengers who could have been involved in such deliberate actions? Maybe they don't want to unfairly label people who may not have been involved without more concrete evidence...

Because this is an ongoing investigation so they aren't going to start throwing out potentially damning or damaging information. They already showed the interpol stuff saying that they identified the people with the fake passports and that they had no ties to anything, so I think they will continue to do things along those lines. Otherwise you'll create a lot of commotion over what could be entirely incorrect information.

You nailed it. Wasn't it the Boston incident where a couple kids ended up on the cover of the Post?

If you are going to come at someone, need to make damn sure you have enough evidence to support it

You nailed it. Wasn't it the Boston incident where a couple kids ended up on the cover of the Post?

If you are going to come at someone, need to make damn sure you have enough evidence to support it

Yes and half of the GAF thread and Reddit was sure they spotted the terrorists too, spreading the faces of innocent people around. Overall pretty embarrassing situation.

Yes and half of the GAF thread and Reddit was sure they spotted the terrorists too, spreading the faces of innocent people around. Overall pretty embarrassing situation.

The sad part is one would think after all the media screw ups with incorrect pictures that we would have learned our lesson by now.

Sadly this is not the case.

This is an interesting summary. It's really hard to pick what would be the most likely, I became very intrigued by this story only after the 7 hour satellite ping as that means "just a crash" is pretty much impossible.

It becomes possible if the plane was set on autopilot. It's not impossible that the pilot programmed the autopilot to climb to 45,000 ft to kill everyone aboard (including himself), then to go back down and follow a straight path to the middle of the Indian Ocean... where the plane flew itself until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Grudy

It becomes possible if the plane was set on autopilot. It's not impossible that the pilot programmed the autopilot to climb to 45,000 ft to kill everyone aboard (including himself), then to go back down and follow a straight path to the middle of the Indian Ocean... where the plane flew itself until it ran out of fuel and crashed.

Pretty sure the pilot can't just open the auto pilot panel and program it to do whatever he wants.

Megasoum

Banned
Maldives island residents report sighting of 'low flying jet'

Link - http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54062

WTF... Flying from North to South-East over the Maldive???

Pretty sure the pilot can't just open the auto pilot panel and program it to do whatever he wants.

Of course he can... How do you think the auto pilot work? The flightplan is entered in the computer before takeoff and the auto-pilot follows it (both vertical and horizontal navigation).

syllogism

Maldives island residents report sighting of 'low flying jet'

Link - http://www.haveeru.com.mv/news/54062
They claim it was flying north to south-east. They further claim that it was 'low flying' and saw it was a white plane with red stripes further suggests that it must have been very close. Both seem impossible and even we dismiss their observations regarding the direction and the colors, it's worth bearing in mind that they couldn't have seen the plane if it was further than ~250miles away and that is assuming it was flying very high. I guess the implication could be that it landed somewhere on Maldives, but that doesn't fit any other data and surely someone would have noticed that.

xTIlIKy.gif

HoosTrax

It's unclear from reading that if it's implying that the pilot specifically practiced on the named airports/bases. Or if they merely exist in the flight sim software that was on the pilot's computer (well no shit, of course FSX has just about every airport in the world in its database).

What would be the intention of flying the plane to Diego Garcia anyway. The pilot's ideological leanings don't suggest a terrorism motive.

Grudy

Of course he can... How do you think the auto pilot work? The flightplan is entered in the computer before takeoff and the auto-pilot follows it (both vertical and horizontal navigation).

Ah I never thought it'd be something that's accessible to the pilot or is simple to switch between directions/altitudes. You're probably right I guess.

HoosTrax

Ah I never thought it'd be something that's accessible to the pilot or is simple to switch between directions/altitudes. You're probably right I guess.
Wat. The autopilot is specifically intended to be programmed by the pilot. Did you think that the autopilot gets programmed remotely from the ground by the airline? In this case, the autopilot panel is located between the pilot and co-pilot.

liquidtmd

Banned
WTF... Flying from North to South-East over the Maldive???

This is seriously nuts. Gotta be unrelated. If it is the flight, it's either in the Ocean or on the Maldives - since the sighting was at 6:15am they surely wouldn't have had the fuel for anything else????

Megasoum

Banned
This is seriously nuts. Gotta be unrelated. If it is the flight, it's either in the Ocean or on the Maldives - since the sighting was at 6:15am they surely wouldn't have had the fuel for anything else????

Well either a bunch of people are lying/imagining things (it's not just one crazy dude living alone on a beach, it's multiple people on the island) or there was another "jumbo jet" doing low flyby in the middle of the Indian ocean on that morning (wtf.. lol) or it's the MH flight.

Crazy stuff indeed.

Sad story but god damn, it's exciting. If they plane actually landed on a secluded patch of land and all people were alive, it'd be the best fucking thing ever.

liquidtmd

Banned
Well either a bunch of people are lying/imagining things (it's not just one crazy dude living alone on a beach, it's multiple people on the island) or there was another "jumbo jet" doing low flyby in the middle of the Indian ocean on that morning (wtf.. lol) or it's the MH flight.

Crazy stuff indeed.

Thats why this story continues to befuddle. Occams Razor? Pssh. All three outcomes you cite are indeed the simplest explanations and all three explanations are equally unlikely for a variety of reasons.

They claim it was flying north to south-east. They further claim that it was 'low flying' and saw it was a white plane with red stripes further suggests that it must have been very close. Both seem impossible and even we dismiss their observations regarding the direction and the colors, it's worth bearing in mind that they couldn't have seen the plane if it was further than ~250miles away and that is assuming it was flying very high. I guess the implication could be that it landed somewhere on Maldives, but that doesn't fit any other data and surely someone would have noticed that.

xTIlIKy.gif

this map is so inaccurate to scale it's not even funny...lol

I just plotted a line from the angle of the plane's flight after the first turn... seemed to go rather north of the Maldives... then I looked where 'Kuda Huvadhoo' is:

mh3702es9g.jpg

o_O

drspeedy

I just plotted a line from the angle of the plane's flight after the first turn... seemed to go rather north of the Maldives... then I looked where 'Kuda Huvadhoo' is:

xjD.jpg

o_O

google map "Diego Garcia"

If it's even remotely possible that the Kuda Havadhoo folks are telling the truth... conspiracy theorists get a gold star

AkuMifune

Banned
I kinda feel like Google must know, but can't say anything because they don't want to let anyone know the extent of their capabilities.

Skynet's first test to see how dumb humans are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom