• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindoc

Again, we don't know if there was a climb or not. That evidence is not reliable.
you're right, but talk about suicide as a cause usually doesn't involve "him" just sitting there, not worrying about the 237 people on the other side of that door, because it's been covered before that the cabin crew can gain access to the cockpit.

Dizzan

MINI Member
I find it hard to believe it was suicide. Maybe murder suicide, willingly knowing all passengers would be killed but from my little life experience with suicide, most people take their lives when they are so down, distraught and alone that they feel they have no way out. If it was a "suicide" by the pilot, I think it needs to be called a premeditated murder suicide. Whoever did this was in the right state of mind to knowingly get on the plane and go through all the necessary motions etc to carry this out.

I have no idea what happened on the flight but I am hoping it was just a catastrophic mechanical event and not murder.

RiZ III

It was during the elections that I realized just how shitty CNN has become. I swore off that network at that point. Not surprised about their ridiculous coverage on this.

danwarb

Glad to see CNN scraping the bottom of the barrel as usual. First, a black hole as a possible culprit, and now bringing on psychics?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-tend-to-work-off-what-i-dont-know-hln-asks-psychic-to-investigate-missing-plane/

Apparently, according to this psychic, at least some of the passengers are still alive. Too bad the families can't sue the shit out of her after they find the wreckage - there's no way that the passengers (or the plane) are OK at this point, sadly. And shame on CNN for giving this kind of bullshit the time of day - I'd expect this little journalistic integrity from Fox News, but not from anybody else.

Wow, that really is appalling. Shame on CNN indeed.

Ovid

Glad to see CNN scraping the bottom of the barrel as usual. First, a black hole as a possible culprit, and now bringing on psychics?

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/i-tend-to-work-off-what-i-dont-know-hln-asks-psychic-to-investigate-missing-plane/

Apparently, according to this psychic, at least some of the passengers are still alive. Too bad the families can't sue the shit out of her after they find the wreckage - there's no way that the passengers (or the plane) are OK at this point, sadly. And shame on CNN for giving this kind of bullshit the time of day - I'd expect this little journalistic integrity from Fox News, but not from anybody else.
I stopped watching their coverage a little over a week ago.

I can't.

China found debris? Hope so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26697048

Edit: But that is the "wrong" ocean isn't it? Confused....

Edit 2: BBC have now changed it to debris "images" and Southern Indian Ocean! Even the BBC are jumping the gun.

"The news that I just received is that the Chinese ambassador received satellite image of floating objects in the southern corridor and they will be sending ships to verify."

Why wouldn't they just share that data with everyone? If the debris' location is known they should just give that location and anyone nearby could check.

...soooo... has anyone posted this gem yet?

PhJ3TnH.gif

*Edit* Aw shiet beaten.

11:09: Xinhua news agency reports that the new object was detected about 120km from the site where floating debris had been spotted earlier this week.

Seems the Chinese image was taken two days after the Australian image. It's either the same debris that has drifted or could possibly be another piece of debris from the same source object. Hope they find it even if it turns out to be something else.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Seems the Chinese image was taken two days after the Australian image. It's either the same debris that has drifted or could possibly be another piece of debris from the same source object. Hope they find it even if it turns out to be something else.

Damn with such huge distances from drifting one has to wonder if this plane will ever be found if it did indeed crash

Grym

Civilian search aircraft spots potential debris

DEBRIS including a wooden pallet has been spotted by one of the aircraft searching for missing flight MH370, Prime Minister Tony Abbott has revealed.

Mr Abbott said he was told late last night a civilian aircraft had sighted a number of objects within the search zone.

It is the first direct sighting of debris and follows two hits by satellite in the past week.

“Yesterday one of our civilian search aircraft got visuals on a number of objects in a fairly small area in the overall Australian search zone,” Mr Abbott said this morning.

He said the debris was: “ A number of small objects, fairly close together within the Australian search zone, including a wooden pallet.
”
“It’s still too early to be definite, but obviously we have now had a number of very credible leads and there is increasing hope, no more than hope, no more than hope, that we might be on the road to discovering what did happen to this ill-fated aircraft,” Mr Abbott said.

His revelation gives further hope that authorities might be closing in on the fate of missing Malaysian aircraft MH370.

raindoc

120 km, in 2 days - is that possible?

Ecotic

What would slow it down (induce drag)? The ocean? :p
I saw a video once showing how a duck doesn't move because of waves. He just sort of floats on top of them, unmoving. But I don't think that is related to currents. Maybe he and others think something floating on top of the water isn't as affected by currents as something deeper down in the water.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
At this point, who is biting on any news whatsoever until debris is completely confirmed? And I don't mean confirmation of an announcement of an announcement of a possible black dot picked up by satellite in the middle of the Arctic ocean.

crozier

At this point, who is biting on any news whatsoever until debris is completely confirmed? And I don't mean confirmation of an announcement of an announcement of a possible black dot picked up by satellite in the middle of the Arctic ocean.
As soon as they changed their mind about when the last communication was sent, I stopped caring about updates. Unless they find the plane and/or wreckage, nothing is true and everything is possible as far as I'm concerned.

Wolfe

Who's talking about slowing it down?
I simply asked whether or not the current down there is strong enough in the first place. Am I writing in latin?

The dude answered you and then you came back with what comes off as an attitude to clarify your question (which he then answered again).

Would you prefer if you were writing in latin?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
http://www.news.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-search-resumes-after-chinese-satellites-spot-object-in-indian-ocean/story-fndir2ev-1226862354302
Phone records of Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah have reportedly revealed he took a two-minute phone call from a mystery woman using a mobile phone number obtained under a false identity, The Mail Online reports.

Investigators are understood to be treating it seriously because anyone buying a pay-as-you-go SIM card in Malaysia has to fill out a form giving their identity card or passport number.

This ensures that every number is registered to a traceable person.

In investigations into the captain’s life, police are believed to have traced the number to a shop selling SIM cards in Kuala Lumpur.

It was bought “very recently” by someone who gave a woman’s name – but was using a false identity.

I certainly wouldn't bite on a black dot picked up by satellite in the middle of the Arctic Ocean.

Is there like a trimmed down version of everything up to this moment?

I am still on the Putin blasting it down with the intercontinental missile

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Seems like we can expect the first debris to be picked up within a day or two. They are zooming in on them. Whether those debris are related to the airplane or not is up in the air.

They mentioned strapping belts being seen, whatever that means.

Seems like we can expect the first debris to be picked up within a day or two. They are zooming in on them. Whether those debris are related to the airplane or not is up in the air.

They mentioned strapping belts being seen, whatever that means.

I'm pretty sure the satellite resolution cannot even see individual seats, let alone belts. At best you can see car to bus-sized objects floating on the water.

liquidtmd

Banned
No daily press conference today. French Satellites may have picked something up in terms of potential debris in the southern corridor now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10717049/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

9.40 A statement has just been released detailing the French sightings.

Quote Australia, China and France have now released satellite images that show potential objects, which may be related to MH370, in the vicinity of the southern corridor. All this information has been forwarded to Australia, as the lead country in the area of concern.

09.39 Breaking news:

MALAYSIA TRANSPORT MINISTER SAYS RECIEVED NEW SATELLITE IMAGES FROM FRENCH AUTHORITIES SHOWING POTENTIAL DEBRIS IN SOUTHERN CORRIDOR

09.37 Meanwhile, in Malaysia, a group of cyclists have organised "The Ride of Prayer" - a bike ride for the missing plane. Here some children gather outside the departure hall of Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang.

09.33 So how significant is this sighting of a wooden pallet off the coast of Australia?

When Brazilian searchers in 2009 were looking for debris from Air France Flight 447 after it mysteriously plunged into the Atlantic Ocean, the first thing they found was a wooden pallet. The military first reported that the pallet came from the Air France flight, but then said six hours later that the plane had not been carrying any wooden pallets.

Malaysia Airlines asked The Associated Press to submit questions via email for comment on whether Flight 370 had wooden pallets aboard when it disappeared. There was no immediate response.

09.05 More details on the difficulty of identifying and then refinding the wooden pallet that was spotted on Saturday. Mike Barton, chief of the Australian Maritime Safety Authority's rescue coordination centre, said the plane that spotted the pallet had been unable to take photos of it.

A New Zealand P3 Orion military plane then sent to find it but failed, he said. "So, we've gone back to that area again today to try and re-find it," Mr Barton said. An Australian navy ship was also involved in the search.

07.50 Our correspondent in Kuala Lumpur, Jonathan Pearlman, reports:

Liu Guiqiu, who was seen in a dramatic photograph last week demanding that Malaysian authorities provide more information, has given an interview with Chinese television. Liu, whose son Li Le was aboard the missing flight, said that when her son failed to arrive in Beijing, she was initially told by the airline that the flight had never taken off.

“I really just want my son to come home and to be safe,” she said. “My heart is broken.”

Discussing the scuffle at the press briefing room last week which was shown around the world, she said:

“At that stage, the plane had been missing for 12 days. I can’t understand why there hasn’t been any news. There has been no news about my son, none at all. I’m going to be crazy.”

“I was surrounded by reporters. There was a young policeman whom I initially thought was about to grab me. I said ”What are you doing? Help!” Then they put me aside and there was someone from Malaysia Airlines who can speak Chinese telling me to take it easy and reassuring me that they were trying to protect me.”

“I’m sure they (the Malaysian government) are under a lot of pressure. I understand that they’re busy searching for the plane so that they can’t pay as much as attention to the families.”

07.40 Malaysian authorities are not planning to hold a daily press briefing today, partly because the Formula 1 motor race has forced the media and officials to move out of their base at the airport hotel. The hotel was booked out in a year advance by Formula 1 organisers.

Instead, daily briefings have been moved to the downtown Putra World Trade Centre. A government spokesman said an update will be released today but at this stage a briefing will not be held.

Oersted

There is reason why I haven't updated the OP in a while. The whole thing is a mess and news media constantly messing up their basics doesn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom