• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecotic

If you concentrated enough satellites on a random part of the ocean I wonder if you would find comparable debris sightings. I feel like we're missing a control group here.

liquidtmd

Banned
Haven't been keeping up-to-date with this: do we still know nothing? (pretty much?)

Pretty much :(

French Satellites have passed new images of possibly related debris type things to Authorities which are being checked that lie within the Southern Coridoor.

As mentioned above though, train enough Satellites on ANY random space in the Ocean and I reckon (purely IMO) that you'd get an equal amounts of mystery floating objects. Thats not to say these aren't legit and at worth pursuing.

Nobody knows. The game at the moment is we're chasing moving images from pictures taken days and days ago. A plane thought it saw wooden crates and strap type things but couldn't confirm nor take pics.

LNBL

Craziest theory I have read so fae is the one in which the plane will be used in a flight to Amsterdam and The Hague for a bombing. World leaders are gathering there for the nuclear security summit.

Hope we can get some good news about the fate of the people on the plane soon.

Craziest theory I have read so fae is the one in which the plane will be used in a flight to Amsterdam and The Hague for a bombing. World leaders are gathering there for the nuclear security summit.

Hope we can get some good news about the fate of the people on the plane soon.

How about the one where we're in a Donnie Darko like scenario and we've branched off into an alternate time path and the plane disappeared into a black hole only to reappear in the alternate path?

So maybe I'm dumb and I have not been following this properly but.

Based on last known location and fuel capacity isnt the list of locations a 747 could land pretty small? If it's not at one of them the only other reasonable explanation is it's crashed in the water.

Also how didn't any of the passengers have cell phones that could be GPS traced for a rough location?

Roo

Based on last known location and fuel capacity isnt the list of locations a 747 could land pretty small? If it's not at one of them the only other reasonable explanation is it's crashed in the water.

Also how didn't any of the passengers have cell phones that could be GPS traced for a rough location?

At this point, all the cell phones would be dead. Two weeks without charge plus, GPS and all that stuff drains the battery so if they had smartphones, they probably turned that feature off to save battery.

I don't know, it's a possibility.

fuzzyset

That's not how GPS works. So many people since the incident seem to think cellphones can just magically communicate your location no matter where you are.

1) GPS is a one-way system. The GPS satellite constellation transmits signals from space with very accurate time. Your phone uses the difference in timings to figure out where YOU are. Your phone (if using Apple/Google Maps) will figure out your lat/long and then download the map of the local area. However, phones now-a-days are reliant to a cellular connection to do this. Unless someone had pre-downloaded a GPS app, I don't think Android/iOS will give you anything without a data connection. Regardless, the GPS satellites have NO IDEA where you are, and frankly, don't care.

2) (ignore this if the flight had special cell relaying tech) Cellular phones need to connect to a basestation. Because their customers spend 99.999% of their time on the ground, the basestations use special antennas to NOT send information into the sky. It's a waste of power. So, unless the plane had special arrangements to relay a cell signal, they wouldn't have a cellular connection. (this is different than inflight Wifi...). They definitely wouldn't have a connection in the middle of the ocean.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I like how it's interest in atheism and not disinterest in whatever his faith was(likely muslim). I'm not even sure what that headline is supposed to imply. He was a Godless heathen?

I know this is a couple pages back but I was in an office the other day when I saw this on CNN, they were actually suggesting that because the pilot might be an Atheist that was somehow something to be looked at. They were actually picking apart his YouTube viewing history for clues. I just shook my head and it makes me realize that I need to make sure my computer purges everything whenever I die in case I end up a suspect in some suspicious shit. "All the YouTube video's on a violent video game, what is this Metal Gear? Clearly, the individual was a trained killer and got off on reenacting violence. And so much VICE News, he is clearly a super left-wing hipster liberal out to destroy the government."

You're going to land a Navy P8 (i.e. a 737) on a carrier? I don't think that's quite possible. It wouldn't be long enough for an Orion either.

RNb3MtD.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-2_Greyhound

Ty4on

NTSB believes that the plane flew south with land nowhere in sight. If it was at the south arch during the last satellite ping it couldn't reach land before running out of fuel. It's a 777 as well which is smaller than a 747, but still a wide body airliner.
Personally I think it's quite clear by this point that the plane has crashed in the indian ocean west of Australia. The question is why.

NateDrake

The crew has reported the coordinates -- 95.1113 degrees east longitude and 42.5453 south altitude for the newly seen possible debris.

mackaveli

So the plane dropped to 12,000 feet for some reason no one knows why.

Source: Some dude on CNN. Not officially confirmed yet though.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority tweets:
US Navy P8 Poseidon tasked to investigate reported object sightings by Chinese aircraft at 33,000ft. Objects spotted by Chinese aircraft as heading back to Perth. Drift modelling undertaken on sighting. P8 unable to relocate objects.

MIMIC

Banned
So they found a "gray or green circular object".

LOL. They know they're looking for a supposedly destroyed PLANE, right?

liquidtmd

Banned
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/malaysia/10718181/Malaysia-Airlines-MH370-live.html

From this morning and the Press Conference:

09.57 Here's the Malaysian government's press statement from this morning in full:

MH370 PRESS BRIEFING BY HISHAMMUDDIN HUSSEIN,

MINISTER OF DEFENCE AND ACTING MINISTER OF TRANSPORT

Introductory statement

The search for MH370 continues. Over the past few days, new leads from satellite data have focused our search and rescue operations in the southern corridor. Our partners continue to deploy assets to assist us, as we work to narrow the search areas.

Operational update

Yesterday, 18,500 square nautical miles were searched in the Australian search area.

Two orange objects approximately one metre in length and one white coloured drum were sighted by search aircraft, but remain unidentified and have not been conclusively linked to MH370.

HMAS Success detected two radar targets within the search area, but could not locate the targets on further investigation of the area.

Earlier today, a Chinese search plane reportedly sighted objects in the Australian search area. These objects are not in the vicinity of those which were identified by the Australian authorities last week.

A few minutes ago the Prime Minister received a call from the Prime Minister of Australia, who informed him that an Australian search aircraft had located two objects in the Australian search area, one circular and one rectangular.

HMAS Success is in the vicinity and it is possible that the objects could be received within the next few hours, or by tomorrow morning at the latest.

Three search areas, totalling approximately 20,000 square nautical miles, have been identified for operations today. RCC Australia anticipates that 10 aircraft will be used.

HMAS Success remains the only vessel in the search area. A number of Chinese vessels are expected to commence arriving within the search area on 25th March.

3 aircraft - 2 from Japan and 1 from the UAE – have already departed from Subang today and are en route to the southern corridor.

6 Malaysian ships, with 3 ship-borne helicopters, are now in northern part of the southern corridor. 10 Chinese ships are in the southern corridor, carrying out search and rescue operations. HMS Echo is currently refuelling in the Maldives and will be sailing to the southern corridor this evening.

In the northern corridor, Turkmenistan have confirmed they have not had any sightings of MH370 on their radar. Each piece of information we receive from our partners in the northern corridor helps us to continuously narrow the corridor.

Satellite images

New leads into MH370’s possible location have come from satellite data. This was one of the four tools we identified that could narrow the search area, along with surveillance radar data, increasing surface and air assets, and bringing in more technical experts.

The most recent images were obtained by French satellites, which captured radar images of potential objects in the vicinity of the southern corridor on 21st March. These images were received by Malaysia on the evening of the 22nd March, and were relayed to RCC Australia on the morning of the 23rd March, as they are leading the search in that particular area of the southern corridor.

This morning we have received a further set of images from French satellites, this time captured by cameras. These images were taken yesterday and have been relayed to RCC Australia.

Family briefings

Yesterday, the high-level team met with families in Beijing for more than eight hours.

The families asked many questions, and made detailed requests for radar readings and other data. Some of these questions could not be answered, and some of the data they requested was still being held by the investigation, as is standard procedure in investigations of this sort.

After meeting with the families for a total of more than twelve hours, and taking hundreds of questions, the high-level team has returned to Kuala Lumpur to discuss the matters raised at the meetings. They will return to Beijing tomorrow to continue.

The briefings in Kuala Lumpur over the last two days went smoothly, and the families responded as positively as could be expected, with the families engaging with representatives from the relevant authorities.

It has always been our intention to keep the families as fully informed as possible. We continue to do so.

Specific questions

There are a few specific questions I would like to respond to.

On the police investigation, we can confirm that the police have interviewed more than a hundred people, including families of both the pilot and co-pilot.

As far as the transcript is concerned, the technical committee is considering releasing it and we will keep you informed about the decision.

The Inspector General of the Police will attend tomorrow’s press conference to answer further questions on the investigation.

We can also confirm that MH370 was carrying wooden pallets. However, there is as yet no evidence that these are related to the wooden pallets reportedly sighted in the Australian search area.

Concluding remarks

The search for MH370 has taken us halfway around the world. At the moment there are new leads, but nothing conclusive. Our thoughts continue to be with the families who are still waiting for news. In the meantime, we are grateful for the on-going co-operation shown by our partners in this multinational search.

09.51 The Malaysian transport minister is addressing the cause of MH370's disappearance. He says that parallel investigations are ongoing and that both mechanical failure and a deliberate act are still being considered.

09.48 Here's the full statement from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) on this morning's sighting of two objects. The agency says the first object was grey or green, and circular, the second orange and rectangular.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority can advise objects have been located by a Royal Australian Air Force P3 Orion.

"HMAS Success is on scene and is attempting to locate the objects in the search for missing Malaysia Aircraft flight MH370.

The objects were spotted in the search area about 2500 kilometres south-west of Perth by the RAAF Orion about 2.45pm (AEDT).

The crew on board the Orion reported seeing two objects – the first a grey or green circular object and the second an orange rectangular object.

The objects identified by the RAAF Orion are separate to the objects reported by the Chinese Ilyushin IL-76 to AMSA earlier today.

The objects reported by the Chinese were also within today’s search area.

The US Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft sought to relocate the objects reported by the Chinese aircraft but were unable to do so.

The US Navy P8 is remains in the search area, while a second RAAF P3 and a Japanese P3 are en route to their assigned search areas.

The last of these aircraft will depart the search area about 11pm (AEDT)".

09.43 Aviation experts on the BBC are discussing what these orange objects might be - could they be life rafts? Or the emergency exit slides, which could have inflated on impact with the water?

09.42 More detail on the objects spotted by a Chinese plane this morning. The IL-76 plane saw "white, square floating objects" and was able to take photographs, according to a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, Hong Lei, says. China is "rushing to analyse" the images, he said.

09.37 The Malaysian transport minister, Hishammuddin Hussein, is giving a briefing in Kuala Lumpur. He has announced that a circular and a rectangular object have been detected by planes in the Australian search area and that ships are currently trying to reach them. The two objects are said to be orange in colour.

He has also confirmed, as was suggested by an anonymous Malaysia Airlines official yesterday, that MH370 was carrying wooden pallets. But, he added: "There is as yet no evidence that these are related to the pallets reported in the Australian search area"

DarkFlow

Banned
They search two years for Rio Paris AF plane. They found it. They got the black boxes and they understood what happened and they could fix it.

It is very important to never stop looking for it
Yeah but they found some debris 5 days after, so they had a general idea were to look. They literally have millions of square miles right now to search.

MIMIC

Banned
This whole "we think we found something" is getting a little tiring....which is why I'm a little surprised that the network coverage is always "ZOMG BREAKTHROUGH!" Until they have verified that it was part of the plane, I'm just gonna assume they didn't find anything.

They say that they'll have those new "objects" in their possession in a few hours. Why don't they actually get to them first instead of reporting about their existence? I mean, how many false leads do you need before you stop reporting every single bit of info?

Miggytronz

This whole "we think we found something" is getting a little tiring....which is why I'm a little surprised that the network coverage is always "ZOMG BREAKTHROUGH!"

Until they have verified that it was part of the plane, I'm just gonna assume they didn't find anything.
This.

If I was a family member effected by this these false reports would make me rage so much.

They say that they'll have those new "objects" in their possession in a few hours. Why don't they actually get to them first instead of reporting about their existence? I mean, how many false leads do you need before you stop reporting every single bit of info?

I like to think that they have some sort of indication that makes them almost certain that these are parts of the plane and that's why the search teams are reporting it to the media.

In reality though, it would be sadly unsurprising if these objects were completely unrelated and they're just been reporting on a pile of rubbish in the sea. This must be absolute torture for the families and friends of those involved.

liquidtmd

Banned
This whole "we think we found something" is getting a little tiring....which is why I'm a little surprised that the network coverage is always "ZOMG BREAKTHROUGH!" Until they have verified that it was part of the plane, I'm just gonna assume they didn't find anything.

Personally I agree with you - however search teams and authorities are between a rock and a hard place. Keeping quiet would just inspire "WHAT ARE YOU DOING / HAVE YOU GOT NO LEADS AT ALL" from some circles.

The sightings are just what the Search Teams are currently pursuing. I blame the 24 news / media circus for blowing each new detail into a 5 - 10 minute puff piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom