• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindoc

I believe it.

I was with him right up till he mentioned Baikonur.

The complex has been slowly crumbling for decades,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baikonur the only "spaceport" on earth left for manned missions? All the ISS Staff is launched from there - that place is of global importance, so... probably not the best place to hide an abducted plane?

cirrhosis

I've read some wild theories over the years but this one is certainly up there. At least the author let us know he's crazy in advance.

cjdunn

A fun article about the writer's descent into conspiracy-theory madness.

And that's part of the reason I linked to it. (I don't agree with "madness" though).

He has credentials covering the industry. He's had to kick conspiracy trolls off of his own blog threads. He writes like he's level-headed.

Regardless of his conclusion, it's a good read about trying to find the truth in a flurry of facts, "facts" and single data points.

Also, cable news sucks. Good grief!

I was with him right up till he mentioned Baikonur.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Baikonur the only "spaceport" on earth left for manned missions? All the ISS Staff is launched from there - that place is of global importance, so... probably not the best place to hide an abducted plane?

Yeah this is what had me questioning it. Baikonur isn't some abandoned spaceport, it is still being used regularly by Russia for spaceflights to the ISS. There definitely are areas of the site that aren't being used, but that still doesn't make it a good place to hide an airplane. There's also a town of 36,000 close by, so it's not like this is some top secret black site.

The other thing that had me questioning it is the lack of motive for Russia to do this. Interesting read nonetheless.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah this is what had me questioning it. Baikonur isn't some abandoned spaceport, it is still being used regularly by Russia for spaceflights to the ISS. There definitely are areas of the site that aren't being used, but that still doesn't make it a good place to hide an airplane. There's also a town of 36,000 close by, so it's not like this is some top secret black site.

The other thing that had me questioning it is the lack of motive for Russia to do this. Interesting read nonetheless.

Yeah the theory is ridiculous... I think that at some point if you want something to happen hard enough you'll manage to find arguments to make it sound plausible.

Like you said, not only is Baikonur not abandonned but it's like saying the american hid a 777 in Cape Canaveral and nobody noticed.

Also there's a bunch of americans (NASA employees and astronauts) that live there.

Sane_Man

It was an interesting read but not in the slightest bit convincing. He can't even come up with a decent theory for why Russia would want the plane. I don't think anyone can.

I believe it.
I don't. How would you fiddle with the contents of the E/E bay midflight, without arousing the suspicions of the other passengers and crew?
ne of the commenters on my blog had learned that the compartment on 777s called the electronics-and-equipment bay, or E/E bay, can be accessed via a hatch in the front of the first-class cabin.15 If perpetrators got in there, a long shot, they would have access to equipment that could be used to change the BFO value of its satellite transmissions. They could even take over the flight controls.
Indeed.

xbhaskarx

I know bumping old threads is fraught with peril, but...

/bump

How crazy am I to think I actually know where that Malaysia Airlines plane is?
published in New York magazine

ConspiracyBoard.jpg

Not sure about his theory, its likely totally wrong, but at the same time I'm not convinced it just crash landed through mechanical failure into the ocean. There's actually no evidence to support that other than the plain is now gone.

liquidtmd

Banned
Not sure about his theory, its likely totally wrong, but at the same time I'm not convinced it just crash landed through mechanical failure into the ocean.

Pretty much. I'm not much into conspiracy theories but something was definitely up with the search initially saying "hey, we hear pings and we're pretty sure they aren't natural and must be from the plane" to "Nope, no plane anywhere possibly in the radius of where we heard them and now the window to hear pings has gone".

I don't buy pilot suicide, I don't buy an onboard heist. I do buy the idea some organization or Government spoofed those pings to throw the scent off the best window to find them.

Ace 8095

I've thought from day one that the airplane ended up in some hanger in a former soviet country. Mainly because it's much more interesting than it crashing in the ocean.

railGUN

Banned
I've always thought it was high jacked and landed somewhere... Just my gut feeling, and I'm not usually one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but yeah...

BFIB

The only part about the plane crashing into the ocean is that no debris has been found at all. Its possible the plane went on a completely different trajectory and we have been looking at the wrong place all along, but still. Not one sign of evidence is really odd in this day and age.

Hanzou

I've always thought it was high jacked and landed somewhere... Just my gut feeling, and I'm not usually one to subscribe to conspiracy theories, but yeah...
The question is why would somebody do this? No ransom or anything? Just capture a plane and kill everybody? Makes no sense.

mikeyw85

Banned
Does anyone believe the patent holders of the semiconductor from Freescale being onboard has anything to do with the planes disappearance?

About that hijack theory and doing it to kidnap the semiconductor employees... how did they stop all attempted cellphone communications from passengers during the entire situation? You would think at least someone would have a hidden cellphone and would try to send a text or call.

I don't know.. I still think that the plane was flying on autopilot with everyone on board dead until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean.

A spare 777? You could disassemble that thing and make mid 8 digits. If they landed at a maintenance hangar; they'd have the parts & tools readily accessible.

Yeah but you'd still have to hide the whole operation from any of the governments interested in finding the plane and you'd probably have to kill everyone on board.

A spare 777? You could disassemble that thing and make mid 8 digits. If they landed at a maintenance hangar; they'd have the parts & tools readily accessible.

I think he's questioning how easily you could convince someone that the spare 777 parts you're selling "fell off a truck".

CREMSteve

About that hijack theory and doing it to kidnap the semiconductor employees... how did they stop all attempted cellphone communications from passengers during the entire situation? You would think at least someone would have a hidden cellphone and would try to send a text or call.

I don't know.. I still think that the plane was flying on autopilot with everyone on board dead until it ran out of fuel and crashed into the ocean.
I simply can't believe a 777 would crash and not a single piece of debris would find its way to a shoreline.

Vyroxis

Banned

There are cell phone jammers readily available on the internet. So that wouldn't be hard. Making an entire jetliner vanish? That's some next level Vegas magic show shit.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah but you'd still have to hide the whole operation from any of the governments interested in finding the plane and you'd probably have to kill everyone on board.

I think he's questioning how easily you could convince someone that the spare 777 parts you're selling "fell off a truck".

That's... a lot of work for not much payback. There are easier ways to make that kind of money that don't involve an Oceans 11 styled heist and killing ~250 passengers.

That's one hell of a truck!

Also that truck has that special ramp on the back that automatically scratch off all serial numbers of items falling out.

In Russia / Former USSR territory / parts of SE Asia? No one would even blink an eye at that stuff. I don't think that's why someone would do it (as pointed out, way, way easier ways to make money than doing that); but I doubt anyone would find out about the serial numbers and such on the parts. Most of that stuff is internally managed at an airline; OEMs / Regulators don't have visibility to that kind of data.

I know bumping old threads is fraught with peril, but...

/bump

How crazy am I to think I actually know where that Malaysia Airlines plane is?
published in New York magazine

The more I discovered, the more coherent the story seemed to me. I found a peculiar euphoria in thinking about my theory, which I thought about all the time. One of the diagnostic questions used to determine whether you’re an alcoholic is whether your drinking has interfered with your work. By that measure, I definitely had a problem. Once the CNN checks stopped coming, I entered a long period of intense activity that earned me not a cent. Instead, I was forking out my own money for translators and researchers and satellite photos. And yet I was happy.

Yep, totally plausible.

Loofy

I was under the impression that all commercial airlines had their flight path transmitted back to some ground base in realtime. How is this not the case?

In Russia / Former USSR territory / parts of SE Asia? No one would even blink an eye at that stuff. I don't think that's why someone would do it (as pointed out, way, way easier ways to make money than doing that); but I doubt anyone would find out about the serial numbers and such on the parts. Most of that stuff is internally managed at an airline; OEMs / Regulators don't have visibility to that kind of data.

I don't think it's that feasible that the plane could somehow make it's way to any of those countries with out anyone hearing about it.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I don't think it's that feasible that the plane could somehow make it's way to any of those countries with out anyone hearing about it.

In one piece; no. But in rotable / swappable parts, quite easily. That said; this falls under the "too much effort for the value" aspect.

Sulik2

That theory actually has a surprising amount of evidence behind it. This crash was weird enough to make you go huh. Motive is the problem.

Out of curiosity, I found Yubileyniy Airport near Baikonur Cosmodrome. Scanning around the airport, I can't find any place that looks anything like the images he posted with the building that was bulldozed. Can we put detective GAF on this?

Out of curiosity, I found Yubileyniy Airport near Baikonur Cosmodrome. Scanning around the airport, I can't find any place that looks anything like the images he posted with the building that was bulldozed. Can we put detective GAF on this?

The GIS is not updated with the newest images. The first pic on this site shows where he's talking about. Makes no sense that you would taxi a plane all the way up to there without problem. 46.068819, 63.220041 is where's he's at.

Tugatrix

Also driving a plane on that rocky ground is near impossible, also his pictures show no tracks on the ground.

Another thing bugs me on that theory how to deal with 300 passengers without involving a numerous team? by now anyone would have spill his beans

DC R1D3R

Banned
The only part about the plane crashing into the ocean is that no debris has been found at all. Its possible the plane went on a completely different trajectory and we have been looking at the wrong place all along, but still. Not one sign of evidence is really odd in this day and age.

i don't think its a coincidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom