• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallbaro

Banned
No just saying that they might never ever find it, can't belive that they wouldn't.. It's crazy that they don't really know wtf happened.

Parts of the world are still very much off the grid..
-Hell even some railroads in the continental US operate interstate sections of track as Dark Territory.

No just saying that they might never ever find it, can't belive that they wouldn't.. It's crazy that they don't really know wtf happened.
Makes you wonder... if we're not capable of finding a plane on our own planet, how accurate are estimates of finding planets hundreds of light years away?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Makes you wonder... if we're not capable of finding a plane on our own planet, how accurate are estimates of finding planets hundreds of light years away?

Different sciences and conditions. If you were on one of those planets and lost a relatively small object in its ocean, you'd have just as much trouble finding it as with MH370.

Dryk

EM signals penetrate a vacuum way better than water, and there's less stuff in the way. It's completely different conditions.

Yagharek

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-29/mh370-search-zone-not-resting-place-of-plane/5487052

Now theyre saying the search zone is not where the plane went down (official from the search group).

The Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) searching for missing flight MH370 says it has completed its search in the Indian Ocean where pings were detected and have discounted the zone as the final resting place of the Malaysia Airlines plane.

In a statement released on Thursday afternoon, JACC said Bluefin-21 had completed its last mission searching in the vicinity of the acoustic signals detected in April.

They say data from the missions has been analysed, leading the organisation to advise "that no signs of aircraft debris have been found".

An 850 square kilometre area of ocean floor has been searched since the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) joined the search effort.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has advised JACC the search in the area surrounding the acoustic detections is now complete and the zone can "be discounted as the final resting place of MH370"

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I think the biggest takeaway from this whole tragedy is to not give anybody the ability to turn off the plane's transponder.

Cause it causes a shitload of problems.

Transponders add to the confusion that traffic controllers have to filter through, so planes turn them off when they are on the ground.

I seriously think this whole thing as been a massive cover up.

Its been millions of dollars wasted , not to mention all the waiting family members grief.

Malaysia have seriously bungled this whole thing from the beginning (maybe thats all part of the coverup)

Its been millions of dollars wasted , not to mention all the waiting family members grief.

Malaysia have seriously bungled this whole thing from the beginning (maybe thats all part of the coverup)

Wish it was.

Would be less of a headache for all involved. Costs less too.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Jesus Christ, You would think we would have the technology for these kinds of events, but I guess we still have a long way to go, has there been any change in procedures, like safety measures that normal airports are doing now to decrease the chance of this happening again?

I am not one for conspiracy theories... but it feels like the plane went dark and a result was shot down by one of the neighboring nations when it veered into airspace without communications or being able to identify itself.

Jimrpg

So they search in the opposite direction to the plane hoping the black box gives out. Then just keep quiet until the end of time.

I always thought it was in the northern corridor, but over the past few weeks changed my mind because no one has taken responsibility.

Pilot has just gone down between vietnam and hong kong probably.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I am not one for conspiracy theories... but it feels like the plane went dark and a result was shot down by one of the neighboring nations when it veered into airspace without communications or being able to identify itself.

Wasn't it only a chinese ship that detected the pings?

adding_fuel_to_the_fire_md_wm.jpg

DBT85

Jesus Christ, You would think we would have the technology for these kinds of events, but I guess we still have a long way to go, has there been any change in procedures, like safety measures that normal airports are doing now to decrease the chance of this happening again?

It's not the airports, it's the airlines. They should be tracking every flight every minute and relaying it back to base.

Wasn't it only a chinese ship that detected the pings?

The chinese seem the most hostile, the most alert and the most capable in the region. China is also the kind of nation that would deny all of this if such a thing happened... especially considering the number of chinese citizens on board.

Also, I just can't buy that in this day in age... as close as that plane was to china they didn't have the ability to track and understand it's movements 100% of the time. China knows what the fuck is going on their side of the world... just as we do ours.

Then debris would have been picked up somewhere in the busy waters, an operation to collect all the bits and pieces by whatever nation shot it down would have been massive and impossible to keep secret. I can't think of any place on land remote enough for it to go down and not have anyone notice it. Papua New Guinea is big and unpopulated enough but really far outside any conceivable flight path.

liquidtmd

Banned
Ok - so these pings they detected that were thought to be from the boxes...

In terms of signature, I remember a lot of analysts saying it pretty much couldn't be anything else. And now it turns out it was something else. Which begs the question, what were they and feasibly could they have been planted to throw off the real location.

I dislike conspiracy theories but these pings that weren't pings...hmm.

Zaptruder

Banned
So at what point do people start saying fuck it, it's gone, just deal with it?

At this point, the most likely thing is that it'll simply turn into a mystery. But it's probably crashed into the ocean somewhere... just no idea where it is.

Then debris would have been picked up somewhere in the busy waters, an operation to collect all the bits and pieces by whatever nation shot it down would have been massive and impossible to keep secret. I can't think of any place on land remote enough for it to go down and not have anyone notice it. Papua New Guinea is big and unpopulated enough but really far outside any conceivable flight path.

You do realize by your idea... that even if it went down under normal circumstances bits and pieces would be picked up as well when it shattered against the ocean surface?

You do realize by your idea... that even if it went down under normal circumstances bits and pieces would be picked up as well when it shattered against the ocean surface?

Not in the southern part of the Indian Ocean where there are hardly any ships and no oil rigs or inhabited islands.

MIMIC

Banned
Interesting. When I said they don't know where they're looking and criticized this entire scavenger hunt of an investigation, I was ridiculed.

Does anyone know what circumstantial evidence is?

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Interesting. When I said they don't know where they're looking and criticized this entire scavenger hunt of an investigation, I was ridiculed.

Does anyone know what circumstantial evidence is?

circumstantial evidence would be attempting to draw any conclusions from that first sentence.

Ok - so these pings they detected that were thought to be from the boxes...

In terms of signature, I remember a lot of analysts saying it pretty much couldn't be anything else. And now it turns out it was something else. Which begs the question, what were they and feasibly could they have been planted to throw off the real location.

I dislike conspiracy theories but these pings that weren't pings...hmm.
I can't understand this either. I remember the quote you're talking about. It was on CNN, and was something like "It pretty much can't be anything else". I can't wrap my head around why they'd now be saying - NOPE! It was something else. Ugh...

MIMIC

Banned
I can't understand this either. I remember the quote you're talking about. It was on CNN, and was something like "It pretty much can't be anything else". I can't wrap my head around why they'd now be saying - NOPE! It was something else. Ugh...

I like how the pings just suddenly started sounding off....out of no where, just a few days (if not hours) before the batteries went dead.

Nope. Not suspicious at all.

I can't remember if I said it or not, but that pretty much confirmed to me that those weren't pings from the plane. It was like, "Well, we're running out of time so we have do SOMETHING and search SOMEWHERE."

circumstantial evidence would be attempting to draw any conclusions from that first sentence.

I don't understand this. You mean my remark of "interesting"?

Dryk

If it was using borrowed equipment it might have been a combination of untrained operators and wishful thinking

MIMIC

Banned
If it was using borrowed equipment it might have been a combination of untrained operators and wishful thinking

Absolutely wishful thinking. Not a single one of their assertions was corroborated and yet they just pressed on with their "IT HAS TO BE HERE!" train of thought.

Stubbornness can be dangerous (and in this case: dangerous, irresponsible, and costly)

fallout

Absolutely wishful thinking. Not a single one of their assertions was corroborated and yet they just pressed on with their "IT HAS TO BE HERE!" train of thought.

Stubbornness can be dangerous (and in this case: dangerous, irresponsible, and costly)
Is it too hard to believe that they're just working on the best information that they have available to them?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
MH370: Indian Ocean crash may have been heard by underwater microphones

Deep-sea microphones picked up an intense sound that may have been Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 crashing into the Indian Ocean, Australian researchers have announced – while stressing that the likelihood of a connection to the plane could be as low as 10% and a natural event like an earthquake might also have been the source.

Underwater sound recorders from Curtin University’s Centre of Marine Science, placed about 40km off Rottnest Island, picked up a signal on 8 March that may have represented a "high-energy event" around the time the plane was thought to have crashed, said Dr Alec Duncan, a senior research fellow at the centre.

The signal was matched with another underwater listening station, run by the United Nations' Comprehensive Nuclear Test Ban Treaty Organisation (CTBTO), off Cape Leeuwin, the most south-westerly mainland point of the Australia.

“Soon after the aircraft disappeared scientists at CTBTO analysed data from their underwater listening stations south-west of Cape Leeuwin and in the northern Indian Ocean,” he said. That initially did not turn up anything of interest, Duncan said.

When the search for MH70 swung to the southern Indian Ocean scientists from Curtin decided to retrieve their acoustic recorders from west of Rottnest Island, to be checked against the CTBTO's earlier data, Duncan said.

“Data from one of the IMOS recorders showed a clear acoustic signal at a time that was reasonably consistent with the information relating to the disappearance of MH370," he said.

The CTBO analysis was rechecked and revealed a signal "almost buried in the background noise but consistent with what was recorded on the IMOS recorder off Rottnest”, Duncan said.

“The crash of a large aircraft in the ocean would be a high-energy event and expected to generate intense underwater sounds. The timing of the signal was not totally unrelated to the disappearance of the plane.”

Brofield

For people wondering why we can't find this plane, from what I recall my professor saying in Geomatics, the technology doesn't work that way.

Unfortunately I can't remember all of what he said, but one of them suggested radar, or using echolocation to determine where the plane was. The problem is that it relies on a moving target, and if the plane has come to a standstill, it's pretty easy for it be skipped over by the sensors.

Just a thought. At least we got an announcement all the same. Hopefully airlines will learn how to better prevent and respond to a tragedy of this magnitude in the future, and we can truly find where this plane landed to give those grieving families some peace.

This is batshit

Have we found Amelia Earhart? Or Glenn Miller? Sometimes planes drop in the drink and we don't find them. That's what happens when 70% of the earth's surface is water and we don't have much of a grasp on subsurface water exploration.

At least it gives us somewhat of a feeling of living in a not-completely explored world.

MH370 families in drive to raise $5m to entice 'whistleblower' to solve mystery.

Several families of those aboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 launched a drive on Sunday to raise $5m for any insider who can resolve the mystery of the plane's disappearance three months ago.

The “Reward MH370” campaign launches on the fundraising website Indiegogo and aims to “to encourage a whistleblower to come forward with information”, the families said in a press release.

I don't think that this will provide any answers.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This is sad. I'm worried it will lead to false or inaccurate information aimed at appeasing the families. I don't think they'll ever truly get the closure they need.

All it will do is make a bunch of wackos come out claiming they were working for India, Filipino, Vietnamese army or whatever and that they got secret info on a wormhole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom