• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Even if it is possible for the pilot to do, and I don't know if it necessarily is, why would he disable those systems if his plan was to commit suicide? It's not like they could stop him even if they knew exactly what he was doing.

To not let the insurance company know he did it on purpose.

But I think this is far fetched.

Lack of debris? Come on. It's only been a couple of days - the plane most likely crashed into the ocean. Malaysia and Vietnam might not have access to the kinds of resources that France/Brazil had when the Air France crash debris was located.

CryptiK

Lack of debris? Come on. It's only been a couple of days - the plane most likely crashed into the ocean. Malaysia and Vietnam might not have access to the kinds of resources that France/Brazil had when the Air France crash debris was located.
Except that part of the ocean isn't that deep apparently and they have multiple countries looking for it.

We have. Thing is it took 2 years for them to find the Air France crash debris. The ocean's fucking large so give em time.

Daria

Except that part of the ocean isn't that deep apparently and they have multiple countries looking for it.

It is about <100ft in that area but that doesn't matter, It's still the ocean which is spread out over thousands of miles and they are looking for little/medium/big pieces of a blown up plane. They're not going to find it overnight.

Chittagong

Gold Member

The clock is ticking on the likelihood of someone coming across something. Anyone who has flown to Singapore knows how full of ships the seas there are. Cargo ships, sailing boats, fishing boats... It's crazy in those waters. It should be merely a question of time until someone runs across one of the million pieces floating around.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We have. Thing is it took 2 years for them to find the Air France crash debris. The ocean's fucking large so give em time.

There was a lot of debris from the Air France plane that was floating on the surface that was found within two days, including some bodies, it was the main wreckage that wasn't located for 2 years.

Daria

The clock is ticking on the likelihood of someone coming across something. Anyone who has flown to Singapore knows how full of ships the seas there are. Cargo ships, sailing boats, fishing boats... It's crazy in those waters. It should be merely a question of time until someone runs across one of the million pieces floating around.

If they even landed in the water and not on an island or a piece of land somewhere.

TokiDoki

Even US had already joined searching .

http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big...airlines-plane-family-chinese-passenger-say-0

Is this possible for the number to connect even if the phone is destroyed?

A Chinese family successfully rang the mobile phone of a passenger on board Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 which is still missing after it lost contact with the ground on Saturday.

A video clip of a man dialing the number of his elder brother was shown on Beijing Television's news bulletin. The call got connected, but no one picked up.

The man, who did not give his name, spoke to reporters at a Malaysia Airlines briefing in Beijing. He claimed that he made a total of three calls, but no one answered.

Desperate family members have asked Malaysia Airlines to use satellite technology to pick up the mobile phone signals of passengers before their phones run out of batteries.

Pandemic

They can't find the object that looked like a door,
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) — A Vietnamese official says searchers on ships worked throughout the night but could not find a rectangle object spotted Sunday afternoon that was thought to be one of the doors of a missing Boeing 777.

Source

tmarques

So the passengers with stolen passports probably had nothing to do with it? Makes you wonder how many people are travelling around with fake/stolen passports.

akira28

people use stolen or counterfeit passports all the time. Generally it just means they didn't want to be identified. Could be relevant to the event, or not.

MrJames

Since we're throwing out unlikely scenarios, how about this one, a cockpit fire.

In 2011 an Egypt Air 777-200ER had a fire on board that started in the cockpit while still at the gate.

"The cause of the fire could not be conclusively determined," admits the Egyptian civil aviation ministry's central aircraft accident investigation directorate.

"It is not yet known whether the oxygen system breach occurred first, providing a flammable environment, or whether the oxygen system breach occurred as a result of the fire."

A short-circuit might have resulted from contact between oxygen system components and aircraft wiring, if multiple wiring clamps were missing, or fractured, or if wires were incorrectly installed.

The cockpit-voice recorder captured a "pop" followed by a hissing noise, similar to the escape of pressurised gas, says the inquiry.

"I unfastened the seat-belt immediately and stood up very quickly," the first officer told investigators. "At the same time the captain left his seat quickly. The smoke and fire were spreading very quickly. After that, the captain ordered me to get out of the cockpit."

The captain attempted to extinguish the fire but said: "The fire bottle was completely depleted without any influence on the fire intensity."

Investigators say the aircraft was immediately evacuated through two forward left-hand doors and fire-fighting personnel arrived after 3min. The fire was extinguished and aircraft cooling was completed around 90min after the blaze broke out.

"The aircraft experienced major damage resulting from the fire and smoke," says the inquiry. But there were no fatalities among the 317 occupants, although seven individuals suffered mild smoke inhalation.

In the wake of the EgyptAir fire the FAA has ordered the replacement of hoses on 777s with non-conductive versions to reduce the risk of combustion.

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-probe-inconclusive-but-short-circuit-379655/

Some footage from the fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1I3txQexo

If an oxygen accelerated fire broke out in mid-flight I'm not sure the pilots would have a chance to do much of anything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There's simply not enough information to extrapolate from the little we know about the stolen passports and the context of their use in this specific flight, considering that the use of stolen passports for travel is not at all uncommon, especially so in some Asian regions (like this), to put too much weight on a hijacking hypothesis. Of course it's possible that the stolen passports may correlate with a hijacking if a hijacking is the cause, but since we're lacking key data to back that up at the moment it's important not to jump to any conclusions. For many travellers here, possibly those based in the west, who are used to some very strict boarding and passport checking policies the usage of fake passports might seem odd. But it does happen a lot.

The total absence of flight data is what makes the disaster so odd and difficult for the public to digest. Even the AF447, mysterious as it was, used ACARS to provide data before the crash that investigators could work with before finding the black box two years later, and debris were spotted within two days. By contrast, here we have a commercial airline effectively disappearing off the grid with no communication, absence of automated SOS and technical data, and little-to-no evidence of debris or a crash. If any of this exists, it's not being made public. Effectively everybody reading about it online is in the blind.

Aadil

Banned
There's simply not enough information to extrapolate from the little we know about the stolen passports and the context of their use in this specific flight, considering that the use of stolen passports for travel is not at all uncommon, especially so in some Asian regions (like this), to put too much weight on a hijacking hypothesis. Of course it's possible that the stolen passports may correlate with a hijacking if a hijacking is the cause, but since we're lacking key data to back that up at the moment it's important not to jump to any conclusions. For many travellers here, possibly those based in the west, who are used to some very strict boarding and passport checking policies the usage of fake passports might seem odd. But it does happen a lot.

The total absence of flight data is what makes the disaster so odd and difficult for the public to digest. Even the AF447, mysterious as it was, used ACARS to provide data before the crash that investigators could work with before finding the black box two years later, and debris were spotted within two days. By contrast, here we have a commercial airline effectively disappearing off the grid with no communication, absence of automated SOS and technical data, and little-to-no evidence of debris or a crash. If any of this exists, it's not being made public. Effectively everybody reading about it online is in the blind.

THIS THIS is why your a mod. You are awesome I applaud you. But your name is disturbing. Still.

Pandemic

Great response mate.

Their now saying debris that was reported earlier is false..?
The search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has not yielded any results, said the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), dismissing reports that parts of the aircraft had been located by the Vietnamese authorities.

DCA director-general, Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, said they verified the reports of the "finds" with the Vietnames authorities who denied it.
Source

BraXzy

I didn't originally read into this too much because I was on a flight yesterday and didn't want to freak out.

This whole story is crazy. I'm not well versed on the technology behind planes and signals going to and from flight control places but how in the world does a huge plane just dissapear? I understand that the passengers would have no way of sending out a message due to lack of signal but I don't understand how there is nothing like an SOS signal or a GPS type thing. Would the airline/flight control somewhere not have the last known location as it went off the grid? Or do they have that info?

It's scary stuff. I hope the plane is found intact somewhere as unlikely as that unfortunately is. Is it possible to develop a more advanced GPS locator type thing for planes in the future? Or is it just not possible? I am pretty oblivious to all the developments of the story so I'll read up on it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I didn't originally read into this too much because I was on a flight yesterday and didn't want to freak out.
I just flew in from HK this morning, I won't lie, I was picturing the plane explosively depressurizing as I was sipping a wine over dinner, Fight Club style. It's hard not to at least imagine what those poor people went through, and hoping it was fast for them. I tend to do that a lot anyway on flights. Not in a morbid way, just something I imagine now and then.. even though it sounds completely insane.

Pretty much.

The person in charge of the search is actually my dad, and even I don't know much about what happened, except a few bits and pieces. Glad to see him handling himself much better at today's press conference though.

All I'll say is that it's a fucking interesting case, and don't trust the Vietnamese news so much. They're just jumping into conclusions with every bit of news. It's frustrating.

aznpxdd

Pretty much.

The person in charge of the search is actually my dad, and even I don't know much about what happened, except a few bits and pieces. Glad to see him handling himself much better at today's press conference though.

All I'll say is that it's a fucking interesting case, and don't trust the Vietnamese news so much. They're just jumping into conclusions with every bit of news. It's frustrating.

Wait, what?

Trouble

Banned
Wait, what?
image.php

Wait, what?

The Director General of DCA is my dad. Our house has the news on every waking hour. I'm currently at home for lunch now to watch the press conference a bit.

It's ridiculous how some of the press is just repeating the same questions but only with a different rhetoric.

Dryk

I understand that the passengers would have no way of sending out a message due to lack of signal but I don't understand how there is nothing like an SOS signal or a GPS type thing. Would the airline/flight control somewhere not have the last known location as it went off the grid? Or do they have that info?
That's the thing, unusual flight telemetry is supposed to trigger an SOS. One of the most concerning things about this situation is that from what we can tell they lost contact with air-traffic control in clear weather, were subsequently heard by another pilot who didn't seem to think they sounded too concerned (though couldn't really tell through the heavy interference) and then they up and vanished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom