• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandemic

PASIR PUTEH: Tests on a sample of the oil slick found off the Kelantan coast reveal that it was not from the missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 flight.

Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) eastern region enforcement chief Datuk Nasir Adam revealed test results showed that it was bunkering activities.

"This is information I received from Kuala Lumpur. The oil slick is from bunkering activities and not from an aircraft," said Nasir at the MMEA's base in Tok Bali here on Monday

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014/03/10/Missing-MH370-oil-slick-not-from-plane/

No trace at all now... What the hell!!

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This is insane.

I know oceans are huge but given the area targeted how the fuck is this possible?

NOTHING AT ALL? God damn

Munin

The only thing I can imagine now is the pilot(s) doing something that put the whole thing deep into the ocean without any explosion or significant exterior damage. Would that even be possible? I don't know.

Also I don't wanna get banned for posting something wildly inappropriate but...well...Langoliers anyone?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Where is it?!

In a million pieces scattered across a thousand kilometres of ocean floor.

Maybe.

The only thing I can imagine now is the pilot(s) doing something that put the whole thing deep into the ocean without any explosion or significant exterior damage. Would that even be possible? I don't know.

I'm really not educated enough on this specific aircraft and aircraft safety technology specifics, but even this should be difficult due systems reporting unusual flight behaviour (eg: stalls, rapid descent, etc) and automatically sending this data back to shore. Like AF447.

The key issue with this incident and prevailing mystery is that the entire aircraft disappeared into nothingness with not a single verified sighting, data transmission, and radar check made available to the public. Not even a tiny thread of odd technical data send back to home base. It was there, and then it was gone.

Zeppeli

Banned
Where is it?!

500px-The_Breach.jpg

aeroslash

I doubt it would have dissapeared that quickly had it been a fire. Swissair 111.

Maybe if there's a very dangerous spot for the fire, but it would have to destroy all communication before any malfunctions are reported and planes are made of materials that burn poorly.

Not really, fire is the WORST thing that can happen to a plane in flight. The materials can bun poorly, but traveling at +700km/h everything turs into a fireball. In fact, the first thing to do if you smell smoke or see fire is get down immediately because many times, you won't get to the ground with the aircraft in one piece..

The strange thing here is communications, but it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that a plane has a communication failure. Who knows..maybe that was their first problem.

kurahador

The key issue with this incident and prevailing mystery is that the entire aircraft disappeared into nothingness with not a single verified sighting, data transmission, and radar check made available to the public. Not even a tiny thread of odd technical data send back to home base. It was there, and then it was gone.

Can pilot turns off those transmission? Or were those automated and ties to the plane system?

Goodlife

In a million pieces scattered across a thousand kilometres of ocean floor.

Maybe.

I'm really not educated enough on this specific aircraft and aircraft safety technology specifics, but even this should be difficult due systems reporting unusual flight behaviour (eg: stalls, rapid descent, etc) and automatically sending this data back to shore. Like AF447.

This.

If the pilots were in control enough to attempt a "landing" on the sea in a way that didn't break the airplane up into a million pieces you'd have expected them to transmit a distress signal + coordinates.

If it happened quickly (explosion) you'd expect there to be plenty of debris floating around in the sea.

liquidtmd

Banned
I know oceans are huge but given the area targeted how the fuck is this possible?

I've not been fully keeping track so probably wrong about this - have they said when roughly how long the time was between them changing direction and losing communication with them?

If the change in direction came after the blackout, then aren't we talking about a potential radius of thousands of miles?

akaoni

Banned

http://www.nst.com.my/nation/genera...act-with-plane-1.503464?ModPagespeed=noscript

SEPANG: A BOEING 777 pilot, who was flying 30 minutes ahead of the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, said he established contact with MH370 minutes after he was asked to do so by Vietnamese air traffic control.

The captain, who asked to not be named, said his plane, which was bound for Narita, Japan, was far into Vietnamese airspace when he was asked to relay, using his plane's emergency frequency, to MH370 for the latter to establish its position, as the authorities could not contact the aircraft.

I'm not completely up to date as this is from yesterday. So they knew something was up with the aircraft before contact was completely lost is what I'm understanding.

1cmanny1

Where are they searching for it? You would assume if it broke up in mid air, there would be bits scattered everywhere for miles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If it broke up so severely, surely plenty of stuff on board would float... there's so much plastic inside a plane...

Yeah, stuff would/should. I was being facetious :p. If debris exist, there should be found, though difficulty really will depend on severity of the damage and crash location, something they appear not to know at this point.

Can pilot turns off those transmission? Or were those automated and ties to the plane system?

I figure they can, but I don't know. I'm not knowledgeable on the technical specifics, just that these state of the art commercial airliners are more realistically appreciated for their communication and tracking technology than the hyperbolic "unsinkable"-like title that flies around. Of course commercial airliners can fail, are subject to technical and structural issues, wrestle with human error, and can and will drop out of the sky due to the multitude of variables at play, even if these events are extremely rare (tldr; there's no absolutes in safety). But what these aircraft do have is technology aimed at providing people with some kind of data when disasters do happen. Black boxes are a pain to recover, but there's more than that, and most should have complex backup systems to provide data, if just a little bit, even in most severe situations.

I assume pilots have that level of control, but I could be wrong.

This.

If the pilots were in control enough to attempt a "landing" on the sea in a way that didn't break the airplane up into a million pieces you'd have expected them to transmit a distress signal + coordinates.

If it happened quickly (explosion) you'd expect there to be plenty of debris floating around in the sea.

Yeah, and that's the mystery; we've (the public) got nothing, which is why I think extrapolating too much into extreme theories is, at this point, letting imaginations override logic. Anything is possible, but when faced with the absence of evidence you do not have evidence to support any theory more than another. Terrorism, structural failure, fire, military strike, pilot suicide, etc. All theories are valid, and by extension empty, because we've got nothing to support any of them.

aeroslash

Ok, let me state something. Not all aircraft send data in real time to the airlines. And if they do, it's only of warnings and failures, not of abnormal positions. A stall for instance would not be sent to the airline.

And even if the plane sends the warnings and messages, many times in flight the datlink is not available. It's not a strange think to happen really.

AFAIK technically anything can be disabled by pulling the fuses in the cockpit which are by the pilot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Not anything but most of it.

Jimrpg

Watching the live press conference now. Flutter puffs ur dad is doing brilliant.

And loved the question where the reporter asked what does the suspect look like, and ur dad said what does an Italian look like, you know balotelli?

Goodlife

Yeah, and that's the mystery; we've (the public) got nothing, which is why I think extrapolating too much into extreme theories is, at this point, letting imaginations override logic. Anything is possible, but when faced with the absence of evidence you do not have evidence to support any theory more than another. Terrorism, structural failure, fire, military strike, pilot suicide, etc. All theories are valid, and by extension empty, because we've got nothing to support any of them.

By far the most likely explanation is that something went wrong quickly, the plane crashed into the sea and there is debris floating around out there, but they have been looking in the wrong places so far.

EatChildren

Ok, let me state something. Not all aircraft send data in real time to the airlines. And if they do, it's only of warnings and failures, not of abnormal positions. A stall for instance would not be sent to the airline.

And even if the plane sends the warnings and messages, many times in flight the datlink is not available. It's not a strange think to happen really.

Cheers.

Dryk

Wow, if true that's WAAAAAY off course

And isn't it sad that some media outlets are hoping this a terrorist attack.
As far as I'm concerned terrorist attack is favourable to mechanical failure. If it was a systemic problem we won't know how to prevent it from happening again until we find the wreck or another 777 goes down. I doubt it was a terrorist attack though.

By far the most likely explanation is that something went wrong quickly, the plane crashed into the sea and there is debris floating around out there, but they have been looking in the wrong places so far.
But if something went wrong quickly, then it would not have strayed from the flight path very much, so they should be looking in the right place?

akaoni

Banned
That thread that was linked;

2) Stolen passport users are not of 'asian appearance' as previously reported

Passports stolen in Thailand but not "asian" users?

So what does that suggest?

My layman's guesswork told me that it was possibly some kind of gradual electronics failure, but apparently it's not that irregular as someone has said.

Mondy

Banned
BBC just showed another press conference but they still know nothing.

This is getting ridiculous now. Logic is completely meaningless in this case it seems, because all the most likely scenarios have been explored and they have all come up bunkem.

Where the fuck has this plane and these people gone?

Jimrpg

I think that headline is wrong and misleading. From what I heard from the press conference, azaruddin was answering the question, what did the suspect look like? His reply was what does an Italian look like? U know balotelli.

I was thinking that he was merely implying an Italian can look Asian, Italian, European, African.

Seems the press are really just trying to look for an angle any way they can.

Ty4on

Not really, fire is the WORST thing that can happen to a plane in flight. The materials can bun poorly, but traveling at +700km/h everything turs into a fireball. In fact, the first thing to do if you smell smoke or see fire is get down immediately because many times, you won't get to the ground with the aircraft in one piece..

The strange thing here is communications, but it wouldn't be the first time nor the last that a plane has a communication failure. Who knows..maybe that was their first problem.

It's just that the fire would have to burn all the communication before being reported which seems very unlikely unless there's a spot where all the radios are. In Swissair 111 they reported the fire 10 minutes before losing communications (12 mintes before the radar lost them) and the captain was heard getting out of the seat by the ATC indicating he was fighting the flames.

There must be a serious flaw for it to spread so quickly the plane just disappears.

aeroslash

It's just that the fire would have to burn all the communication before being reported which seems very unlikely unless there's a spot where all the radios are. In Swissair 111 they reported the fire 10 minutes before losing communications (12 mintes before the radar lost them) and the captain was heard getting out of the seat by the ATC indicating he was fighting the flames.

There must be a serious flaw for it to spread so quickly the plane just disappears.

Well, a fire could have started in the avionics compartment and that's it.

I don't think that's the case btw.

Dryk

Well, a fire could have started in the avionics compartment and that's it.

I don't think that's the case btw.
Or the communication dropout could be due to unrelated failures. It's very unlikely for those two things to happen in quick succession but since we have less than nothing to go on we can't really rule it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom